Cincinnati gets: IF/OF Willie Harris and OF Elijah Dukes

Washington gets: 2B Brandon Phillips

fourrunhomer
02-12-2009, 01:55 PM
No thanks.

roby
02-12-2009, 02:12 PM
No thanks.

A big old NO from me, too! Don't trade Phillips!

Redsnake
02-12-2009, 02:29 PM
No thanks!!

xavr1
02-12-2009, 03:48 PM
No. Phillips is quickly becoming our only proven vet. Lot of value there.

reds2221
02-12-2009, 03:57 PM
We should not trade Phillips unless we're getting something amazing in return!

Orodle
02-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Outfielders are the easiest position to come by in the major leagues. Harris and Dukes are nothing different than what the Reds already have or really any other team in baseball. However, not every team has a 2B with the athletic ability of Brandon Phillips.

RedLakerFan24
02-12-2009, 05:15 PM
we could get Dukes but not at the expense of Brandon, Maybe something like Juan Fracisco OR Stubbs and Roenicke, but not phillips

TheNext44
02-12-2009, 05:42 PM
The Nats need pitching, badly. They don't need Phillips, and the Reds need to keep him, unless they get something much more valuable than Dukes, like a premier SS.

Probably a package around someone like Maloney would interest Bowden more than Phillips.

Orenda
02-12-2009, 06:06 PM
I would do that deal. Phillips is solid but he's not a shortstop and he is not Chase Utley. He is a great defender with pop who can hit for a decent average but his plate discipline keeps him from being a top half of the order hitter on a good team (with a manager who just doesn't hit fast guys at the top). In house the reds already have Valaika, Richar, Keppinger and Rosales as possible replacements. Adding Dukes would give the reds a RH LF with 30-40 hr potential with good speed, a strong arm, and a knack for finding firstbase. Even though he is an outfielder there just aren't that many guys in MLB walking around with his potential. I do agree with TheNext44, in that I don't think the Nationals would pull a Phillips for Dukes swap.

I'm hoping that Dukes struggles early and one of the 8 outfielders that Bowden has will play well and force him out of the lineup so that Dukes might be made available.

Orodle
02-12-2009, 06:29 PM
The Nats need pitching, badly. They don't need Phillips, and the Reds need to keep him, unless they get something much more valuable than Dukes, like a premier SS.

Probably a package around someone like Maloney would interest Bowden more than Phillips.

haha yes common sense would tell you the Nats need pitching .....but remember who is their GM.

Kingspoint
02-12-2009, 07:07 PM
No.

I don't like any trade scenario involving the team's best defender, the team's most veteran player, the team's most reliable player, one of the team's top-2 Right-handed power hitters, one of the team's best baserunners, and basically the team's most important non-pitcher player, who's still cheap and in his prime for the next 3 seasons.

Brandon Phillips is the type of player a small-market club like the REDS' tries to obtain, not get rid of. Give me 4 more Brandon Phillips to play 3rd Base, Left Field, Shortstop, and Centerfield and we're in the playoffs.

Nasty_Boy
02-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm fine with trading Phillips, and I love Dukes talent but there is no way you could trust him to stay out of trouble. Not to mention the Willie Harris is a replacement level (or below) player that is signed for way too much. I would trade Phillips for Milledge and Lannan. Phillips starts to become expensive next season, and without a drastic offensive improvement he's overpayed.

NarrowStairs
02-12-2009, 07:44 PM
See what you guys think:

I like Willie Harris a lot, but he can't hold a candle to Phillips.

Elijah Dukes is a dirty thug, and Cincinnati doesn't need any more of those. He's not a good ball player, either. He's mediocre at best.

Slyder
02-12-2009, 09:48 PM
What about Homer for Dukes or another of the twenty something wunderkin of Bowdens collected ?

Newman4
02-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Wow, I touched a sore spot offering up Phillips. Actually Harris out OPSed him last season and Dukes is a corner OF talent. Harris as mentioned is just a stop gap until all the other potential 2B talent arrives in the next few years. Phillips is at his highest value right now considering he gets rather pricey in the latter years of his new contract. The gold glove doesn't cover his extreme splits and somewhat shallow numbers in terms of OPS. Maybe not this deal, but I would definitely deal him right now in the right deal to build for the future.

Newman4
02-12-2009, 11:23 PM
What about Homer for Dukes or another of the twenty something wunderkin of Bowdens collected ?

That would work in my book as well.

Rusty the Red
02-13-2009, 12:46 AM
No way.

Nasty_Boy
02-13-2009, 01:45 AM
Phillips is at his highest value right now considering he gets rather pricey in the latter years of his new contract.

I advocated trading him before last season, because I didn't think he would be any better than 2007. I'm fine with moving him if it makes the team better, but I would look at others besides Willie Harris.

Phillips offensive game was pretty abismal last season, and it could get worse if he sees himself as a power hitter. He's got the talent to have a complete all around game (offense, defense, baserunning) but I think he's too involved with the numbers he puts up to comform his game to the type of player the Reds need him to be... a high OB, high avg, top of the order kind of guy that will give you 15-20 HRs. Not a guy that tries to go 30-30 at the risk of a .310 OBP and a very Cory Patterson 2nd half of last season.

bounty37h
02-13-2009, 10:47 AM
See what you guys think:

A big ol Heck no to Dukes, I dont even like that he comes to our stadium as a visitor player, no way in hell I want him on any team I pull for-he is a walking time bomb, ready to blow up on ya. He truly may end up the biggest punk of all time in baseball before done and over.

Orenda
02-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Right now the reds have a team option for 2012 at about 16 million, if he is traded that becomes a mutual option, I think that will limit his trade value for a lot of teams.

brachial pleXUs
02-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Nope. Phillips has become a veteran leader, and if you look at the whole package, is an outstanding player. He may not be perfect, and I don't agree with batting him cleanup, but if a changes his approach to be more like the player he was in 2007, that's hard to beat. He is the face of the franchise, and while I believe Votto and Bruce may surpass him in this regard, I don't know that it will be this year. If this trade helped the team immensely, I would do it. However, Willie Harris isn't incredibly special, and Elijah Dukes brings agonizing flashbacks of Chris Henry. I'm sure Harris would play admirably, but who will be the team's leader? --Weathers? Maybe Cordero, idk. I know veteran leadership doesn't amount to wins, but Phillips reminds me of my all-time favorite player, Barry Larkin, both on and off the field. That's something you don't trade away for a stop-gap and a monstrous, albeit talented, risk.

ChatterRed
02-13-2009, 06:11 PM
One thing is for sure, Jim Bowden loves trading with the Reds and he'd probably do anything for a minor league 5 tool outfielder.

thatcoolguy_22
02-13-2009, 07:34 PM
I advocated trading him before last season, because I didn't think he would be any better than 2007. I'm fine with moving him if it makes the team better, but I would look at others besides Willie Harris.

Phillips offensive game was pretty abismal last season, and it could get worse if he sees himself as a power hitter. He's got the talent to have a complete all around game (offense, defense, baserunning) but I think he's too involved with the numbers he puts up to comform his game to the type of player the Reds need him to be... a high OB, high avg, top of the order kind of guy that will give you 15-20 HRs. Not a guy that tries to go 30-30 at the risk of a .310 OBP and a very Cory Patterson 2nd half of last season.

You just hit the nail on the head. I was all for trading him last off season as well. However Harris is not meant to be a long term solution but more of a stop gap while we wait for Valakia or Frazier. I know Frazier projects as a 3B but he can swing the stick and has been covering SS during his time in the minors.