PDA

View Full Version : Dragons coaches know what A-ball is all about

OnBaseMachine
02-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Dragons coaches know what A-ball is all about

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Friday, February 13, 2009

DAYTON Reds player development director Terry Reynolds made no promises on what kind of ballclub the Dayton Dragons would have this summer, but said with a new field staff, "we'll have a well-managed team."

Reynolds officially introduced new Dragons manager Todd Benzinger as well as pitching coach Rigo Beltran and hitting coach Tony Jaramillo to the media at Fifth Third Field on Thursday, Feb. 12.

While Reynolds said he intends to have a good team in Dayton, "if Edwin Encarnacion gets hurt and Adam Rosales goes to the big leagues (from Class AAA), the (Class) AA guy goes (up) and the (Class) A guy goes (up) and the Dayton guy goes (up).

"We don't sit down and say, 'On May 15, we're going to take guys from Dayton.' At the same time, this is our first step in A-ball. When something happens at a higher level, we're going to take guys from Dayton."

Benzinger made no promises either, except he expected to be a better manager than a broadcaster. He initially visited Fifth Third Field as a celebrity broadcaster, and when then Reds roving instructor Chris Sabo heard him, Benzinger said his former teammate quipped, 'Marty Brenneman doesn't have anything to worry about.'"

Benzinger also said he wasn't a great player, either, "But I spent three years in A-ball and I know what it's about," he said.

Beltran, who spent parts of five seasons in the majors with the Mets, Rockies and Expos, also spent parts of 10 seasons in Class AAA.

He has coached for the Reds in the Gulf Coast League the past two seasons and said he wants not only to "instruct and inform" his players, but also to "inspire them to get to the major leagues."

Jaramillo played in the Texas Rangers' farm system, then in independent leagues before following the footsteps of his uncle, Rudy, who is the Rangers' hitting coach.

"I grew up with him," Tony said. "I was groomed by him to be a hitting coach."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/dragons/2009/02/13/ddn021309spdragons.html

OnBaseMachine
02-13-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm pretty excited about having Tony Jaramillo in the organization. His uncle and mentor is one of the best hitting coaches in the majors. If he's half the hitting coach his uncle is then he'll be a great influence on the Reds young hitters.

I'm looking forward to following that Dayton team this season...

dougdirt
02-13-2009, 12:40 PM
I came away very impressed with all three guys yesterday. They seemed to all say the right things. Whether that translates onto the field isn't completely known yet, but I liked what I heard.

redsof72
02-13-2009, 01:52 PM
I also am really excited about the Dayton coaches. They all seem to be happy to be there and that is the first step.

I agree with the comment on Jaramillo. Was he a .300 hitter in the big leagues? No, but neither was his uncle. He seems very focused on his job and seems to have a great understanding of how to analyze a hitter and pinpoint a problem. My impression is that he is going to practically live in the batting cage. I would rather have a guy like that than an ex-big leaguer who is just trying to draw a paycheck. When you hear Tony talk about hitting, it is clear that he at least has a clear conception, right or wrong, about what he thinks it takes mechanically to make solid contact. That is more than you can say for many minor league hitting coaches. He seems to be extremely serious about his job. He did not have much of a playing career so I am sure he is looking at this as his career, unlike an ex-big leaguer who has already had his moment in the sun.

As for Benzinger, seems like a very classy person. I actually like Benzinger better in the manager's role than as a hitting coach, where he was originally slated to be.

I am looking forward to seeing some of the players that will make up the '09 Dayton club like Buchholz, Sappelt, Hildenbrandt, Astorga, Puckett, and Wideman. Soto is a possibility, though I still expect him to go to Sarasota.

princeton
02-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Benzinger also said he wasn't a great player, either

dreadful, in fact

OnBaseMachine
04-01-2009, 02:14 AM
Fossas assigned to Dragons for now

By Staff report

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Tony Fossas, scheduled to be the pitching coach for the Reds' rookie Gulf Coast League team, has been working with the Dayton Dragons while Dragons coach Rigo Beltran is filling in for Class AA Carolina coach Tom Browning, who was arrested Monday for nonpayment of child support.

Dragons manager Todd Benzinger said he was not sure how long Fossas would be with the Dragons.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/dragons/2009/04/01/ddn040109spfossas.html

BRM
04-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Looks like those changes could be permanent. Per Fay.

Today's transaction: Today the Reds promoted pitching coach Rigo Beltran from Class A Dayton to Class AA Carolina and promoted pitching coach Tony Fossas from GCL Reds to Dayton.

It didn't mention it, but that would indicate Tom Browning's out a Carolina pitching coach. He was arrested and jailed for allegedly failing to pay child support.

Mario-Rijo
04-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Looks like those changes could be permanent. Per Fay.

I hate to see that for Browning but hey take care of your reponsibilities. However I think that might be great news for those young arms.