PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Hits Camp Early

JBChance
02-14-2009, 01:41 AM
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Why wait until the report date? Reds outfielder Jay Bruce is ready to get started now.

Ready to build on his rookie season, Bruce got to town on Thursday night and was at the Reds' Spring Training complex on Friday morning. Position players aren't required to be in camp until Tuesday while pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report on Saturday.

"You want to see the guys again," Bruce said. "When it gets this close to Spring Training, you're ready to go."

Last year's top prospect in all of baseball entering the season, Bruce was a focal point despite not being assured of a roster spot. He competed to be the everyday center fielder but after a fast start, struggled to be consistent. His chances were greatly reduced further once veteran center fielder Corey Patterson was signed in early March.

Bruce was sent back to Triple-A during camp but came back up for good in late May. He finished his rookie season by batting .254 with 21 home runs and 52 RBIs in 108 games.

This year, Bruce is Cincinnati's everyday right fielder and won't be tasked with fighting for his place on the 25-man roster.

"It doesn't change too many things. I think it makes me not put so much pressure on myself," Bruce said. "Last year, I was trying to do too many things. Now, I'm not going to change a thing."

With his place assured, Bruce still doesn't plan on using his time in camp as a break from the golf course.

"I'm here to make the team every year," he said. "The way I look at, they're just not going to give you a spot. I'm excited to be here and I'm really ready to go. It's going to be an exciting year."

Like most Major Leaguers, Bruce committed himself to an offseason workout program and didn't wait until the opening of Spring Training to be in playing shape. He's been lifting, hitting and throwing for several weeks.

"I'm glad to here because I'm tired of lifting weights and doing the same thing every day," Bruce said.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090213&content_id=3825346&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

I love this kids work ethic. Hard to tell if he's just trying to say the right things or he's really that kind of guy. I choose to believe the latter.

If he keeps up this kind of effort, I think a big step forward is possible for him.

Even if you hate the current direction of the team, He's a big bright spot.

jmac
02-14-2009, 10:59 AM
I always appreciated how JR was there early and I am glad to see Jay picking up with that attitude ! :beerme:

Ghosts of 1990
02-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Man I love this kid

JoshFogg
02-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Ken Griffey Jr? What are you talking about? He was a waste of money, an unproductive slug for the Reds, and basically stole millions of dollars. He was an embarrassment to the city and to the team- a career loser who alienated teammates and ended his career as a dinky hitting part time scrub. IN fact, he has been a total scrub for 8 straight seasons. - A total non factor in the history of the REds. Jr is a blackmark on the team

Ghosts of 1990
02-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Ken Griffey Jr? What are you talking about? He was a waste of money, an unproductive slug for the Reds, and basically stole millions of dollars. He was an embarrassment to the city and to the team- a career loser who alienated teammates and ended his career as a dinky hitting part time scrub. IN fact, he has been a total scrub for 8 straight seasons. - A total non factor in the history of the REds. Jr is a blackmark on the team

I think he just meant that with all of Junior's shortcomings one tradition that Junior made regular was showing up to spring training early. Even with all the stuff you mentioned it was still something he didn't have to do and something that we as fans appreciated. It was refreshing.

Jerome
02-14-2009, 12:40 PM

Someone's having a bad day.

I don't understand why more players aren't anxious to get back to the team. I think Bruce is going to be a real glue guy, but we'll see if he comes early when he's at the All-Star level and has commercial deals. Then will come the true test of arriving early.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

JoshFogg
02-14-2009, 12:44 PM
I expect Bruce to be far more successful in a Reds UNi than Jr was. because, face it, Jr did close to nothing in Cincinnati. IN fact, all Bruce would have to do in his Reds tenure is play on a playoff team, and he will instantly surpass anything Jr was ever able to accomplish in cincy.

Gamble
02-14-2009, 01:21 PM

Funny that this is coming from someone with the username JoshFogg..

mlh1981
02-14-2009, 01:35 PM

What was embarrasing was having Chris Reitsma and Elmer Dessens being staff "aces" during that time.

jmac
02-14-2009, 01:49 PM
I think he just meant that with all of Junior's shortcomings one tradition that Junior made regular was showing up to spring training early. Even with all the stuff you mentioned it was still something he didn't have to do and something that we as fans appreciated. It was refreshing.

Thank you !

JBChance
02-14-2009, 02:28 PM
From another article...

Many Reds didn't wait for the report date to show up. Starter Aaron Harang, closer Francisco Cordero, reliever Bill Bray and outfielders Jay Bruce and Chris Dickerson were among those already at the team complex before the weekend. Many more position players arrived early on Saturday. - By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

Looks like these guys are chomping at the bit - good to see. Especially cool to see Harang getting started earlier; shows alot of commitment. I personally can't wait to see him round back into form.

Orodle
02-14-2009, 02:52 PM

I'm not the biggest Jr fan either but I'm not stupid enough to call him a scrub for 8 straight season.

Jack Burton
02-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Dang Josh, you must still be bitter about that penny prank Jr pulled on you last season.

Ghosts of 1990
02-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Looks like Dickerson knows he's in for a fight and showed up early

Casey
02-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Great to see Bruce and Dickerson there early.

bounty37h
02-16-2009, 11:50 AM

So,how do you really feel about him? Dont answer, please, we have read it from you enough, care to move on at any point in time if you are just going to bash a guy non-stop??????

Ghosts of 1990
02-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Anyone think that Bruce could assume the first "captain" role with the C on his jersey since Barry Larkin retired?

reds1869
02-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Anyone think that Bruce could assume the first "captain" role with the C on his jersey since Barry Larkin retired?

I was thinking the same thing. He has had leader written all over him from day one. I still remember how blown away I was by the press conference he gave when called up...the kid is mature beyond his years and a real asset to this team and city.

Red in Atl
02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
So,how do you really feel about him? Dont answer, please, we have read it from you enough, care to move on at any point in time if you are just going to bash a guy non-stop??????

Here, here. With every new report of another great player using steroids, Griffey becomes an even bigger stud in the steroid era.

This Josh Fogg guy, (and really, Josh Fogg, that's the best moniker you could come up with?) must be no older than say 20-22. Because everytime I see him post, it reminds me of what my HS government teacher said aloud to me when I answered his questions, "At least (Red in ATL) isn't afraid to show his ignorence".

He doesn't seem to know much about baseball history or about respecting great players. Especially those who truly love the game and take it seriously, not to mention are part of a legacy of the game.

Seriously, he sounds like another wanker trying his best to one day make it as a personality on ESPN without the pro sport background. Dude if that's your goal, calling one of the All Century Team Members, "a career loser who alienated teammates and ended his career as a dinky hitting part time scrub" is a sure way not to achieve it. Or you could end up on FOX, they seem to like people like you. Can anyone say, Tim McCarver?

BTW, to all you folks that think Griff is done, just watch him win CBPOTY in Atlanta. You heard it here first.

Red in Atl
02-16-2009, 04:44 PM

I could see it, but even more I could see the first Co-Captains of Bruce and Votto. I'd give them a few years first though.

redsfanmia
02-16-2009, 04:48 PM
I expect Bruce to be far more successful in a Reds UNi than Jr was. because, face it, Jr did close to nothing in Cincinnati. IN fact, all Bruce would have to do in his Reds tenure is play on a playoff team, and he will instantly surpass anything Jr was ever able to accomplish in cincy.

Ok we all get it you do not like JR now move on please.

fourrunhomer
02-16-2009, 05:55 PM
I could see it, but even more I could see the first Co-Captains of Bruce and Votto. I'd give them a few years first though.

If we are going to have co-captians, I think it would have to be Taveras and J. Jones.

I thought about saying Arroyo and EdE, but was afraid somebody would not realize I was being sarcastic. Besides, I like them both and think they will both have big years.

Of course, someone will still say I'm out of my mind and give numerous reasons how Taveras and J. Jones could never deserve to be co-captains.

Jack Burton
02-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Here, here. With every new report of another great player using steroids, Griffey becomes an even bigger stud in the steroid era.

This Josh Fogg guy, (and really, Josh Fogg, that's the best moniker you could come up with?) must be no older than say 20-22. Because everytime I see him post, it reminds me of what my HS government teacher said aloud to me when I answered his questions, "At least (Red in ATL) isn't afraid to show his ignorence".

He doesn't seem to know much about baseball history or about respecting great players. Especially those who truly love the game and take it seriously, not to mention are part of a legacy of the game.

Seriously, he sounds like another wanker trying his best to one day make it as a personality on ESPN without the pro sport background. Dude if that's your goal, calling one of the All Century Team Members, "a career loser who alienated teammates and ended his career as a dinky hitting part time scrub" is a sure way not to achieve it. Or you could end up on FOX, they seem to like people like you. Can anyone say, Tim McCarver?

BTW, to all you folks that think Griff is done, just watch him win CBPOTY in Atlanta. You heard it here first.

Why so sensitive about Jr? No need to personally attack someone who has a different viewpoint. He doesn't agree with your opinion on Jr so he's a wanker? Relax.

JoshFogg
02-16-2009, 08:20 PM

Sorry to upset you, but Jr is garbage. Look at his stats. See ya later. go rook for the braves

JBChance
02-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Sorry to upset you, but Jr is garbage. Look at his stats. See ya later. go rook for the braves

I started this thread to give some news about Jay Bruce and Reds ST in '09; two of my favorite things to think about currently.

I didn't start it bash anyone, especially KGJ.

Please, asking respectfully, can you take it elsewhere?

Thank you.

I like both these guys and maybe its possible, down the road; Bruce has a great work ethic and attitude, but I also like Votto's demeanor. He seems to have a fiery, competitive nature. Hopefully they can sustain it through these years when the club is still trying to get back to winning.

The future, with them in particular, is bright, certainly.

Red in Atl
02-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I started this thread to give some news about Jay Bruce and Reds ST in '09; two of my favorite things to think about currently.

I didn't start it bash anyone, especially KGJ.

Please, asking respectfully, can you take it elsewhere?

Thank you.

I like both these guys and maybe its possible, down the road; Bruce has a great work ethic and attitude, but I also like Votto's demeanor. He seems to have a fiery, competitive nature. Hopefully they can sustain it through these years when the club is still trying to get back to winning.

The future, with them in particular, is bright, certainly.

Jack Burton - What Josh Fogg is saying about Jr. isn't just a different viewpoint, he's verbally attacking a guy that just wanted to play for his hometown team, the city he grew up in, and then had the lousy luck to battle some terrible injuries, deal with death threats, attacks on his wife and kids, etc, etc., etc. None of that can take away that he is a member of the All Century Team, and a first round HOF'er.

Because Jr couldn't live up to all our grandest and rather silly dreams of being WSC's every year with him on the team, JFogg has basically called him every name in the book. In this post and many others I've read. So wanker was the nicest thing I could come up with. And if you noticed, I really tried to be nice. I don't know JFogg at all, but I can tell you that he seems to be here just to bash Jr. What good does that do and is that really why this site exists?

I am certainly of the belief that it was past time for Junior to go. It was my wildest dream for him to play here, but it just didn't work out. And with the young guys that we now have in Bruce and Votto, I think we have a really exciting future.

So I have to appologize to JBChance. I am happy to talk about our future all day long, but I can't sit and watch someone attack a great player and decent human being, just because he didn't enough HR's to make Mr. Fogg happy.

Last Thought: It will be a cold day in Hell, before I ever root for the Braves!!!