PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reporting that Atlanta is targeting Junior and discussing $$$

ChatterRed
02-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Just heard it a moment ago.

redsfandan
02-14-2009, 07:38 PM
beat ya by a couple hours ;)
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1803276#post1803276

ChatterRed
02-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Deserved it's own thread.

redsfandan
02-14-2009, 08:04 PM
fine with me

JoshFogg
02-14-2009, 08:10 PM
I pray HOF voters realize how incredibly unproductive Jr has been for the last 50% of his playing career. Its like a salesmen meeting his yearly quota by March....then just showing up in shorts and doing nothing for the rest of the year...and still be considered good at his job. Jr is just that.

akron3344
02-14-2009, 08:41 PM
completely concur, when the reds traded for griffey the slope of their descent is almost completely south, look how many winning teams cameron has played for in the interim

NarrowStairs
02-14-2009, 08:44 PM
I hope he goes to Atlanta. I want to see him play in GABP again. He deserves a huge ovation from the Cincinnati fans, which he rarely got as a member of the Reds.

akron3344
02-14-2009, 08:47 PM
I would rather see his father play than griffey with his steatopygean derriere

Jack Burton
02-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Does anyone suspect Griffey to have taken steroids? I've never heard his name mentioned under the cloud of suspicion.

Slyder
02-14-2009, 10:36 PM
completely concur, when the reds traded for griffey the slope of their descent is almost completely south, look how many winning teams cameron has played for in the interim

Yes everything that happened was solely reliant on Cameron and Griffey :rolleyes:... It doesnt matter that we ran out there some of baseball's WORST pitching staffs, didnt increase payroll to give Griffey talent around him during most of the decade, next thing people are going to say Mariano Duncan was a better player cause he played on winning teams. Gah people move on. It takes 25 guys no one guy is going to make an entire team. You could substitute Pujols for Griffey on these teams and the team STILL wouldnt have been anything more than 500.

If someone downed a drink everytime someone blamed Griffey/Dunn as the problem with the past 8 years rather than the total team... how long before theyd pass out or have their heart explode from all the sugar?

JBChance
02-14-2009, 11:23 PM
I pray HOF voters realize how incredibly unproductive Jr has been for the last 50% of his playing career. Its like a salesmen meeting his yearly quota by March....then just showing up in shorts and doing nothing for the rest of the year...and still be considered good at his job. Jr is just that.

He's a sure-fire HOF.

He can't help that the Reds really had to stretch to get him. He, reportedly, took a little less money than he could have got, by coming to Cincy. I remember it very well; I had a picture of him and Larkin standing together at his first ST in Cincy. Also had a picture of him swinging away, in some ST garb, on my desktop.

He can't help all the injuries either. With some of his serious knee, hamstring injuries, some players might have retired sooner. I just think that he loves the game.

Besides, he hasn't been a liability the whole time, especially offensively. Defensively, yes he definitely became one. You wonder, however, if the organization had the stones to get him to switch to RF earlier, if he might have been much more effective. He clearly played CF way too long. Of course, it was said that he was the reason that he stayed if CF, but do you think it would have gone down that way in, say, NY or Atlanta. I doubt it.

The real shame of it is that the Reds never put a great team around him. If I were him, I might be the one that's miffed.

All that being said, I wonder why he's not going to end up in the AL as a DH. Is it him not wanting to or is it something else? I was really hoping the so I didn't have to see him play us. Oh well.

ChatterRed
02-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Yes everything that happened was solely reliant on Cameron and Griffey :rolleyes:... It doesnt matter that we ran out there some of baseball's WORST pitching staffs, didnt increase payroll to give Griffey talent around him during most of the decade, next thing people are going to say Mariano Duncan was a better player cause he played on winning teams. Gah people move on. It takes 25 guys no one guy is going to make an entire team. You could substitute Pujols for Griffey on these teams and the team STILL wouldnt have been anything more than 500.

If someone downed a drink everytime someone blamed Griffey/Dunn as the problem with the past 8 years rather than the total team... how long before theyd pass out or have their heart explode from all the sugar?

I agree. Ownership did nothing to make the team better. It was a total marketing ploy, and they wasted a great opportunity.

I don't blame Junior for anything EXCEPT I do believe he could have taken better care of himself, which resulted in his aging injuries, IMHO.

UC_Ken
02-15-2009, 10:37 AM
If Tampa's not interested then Atlanta is the next best situation for Griffey. I'll root for him wherever he goes unless he's playing the Reds.

JoshFogg
02-15-2009, 11:31 AM
over the last 8 years, jr has not mattered. make this year # 9

akron3344
02-15-2009, 12:00 PM
griffey has never been inspirational to any young player, never voiced team leadership, was injured consistently, is anybody proud of the reds performance during the time he was on th eteam?

redsfanmia
02-15-2009, 12:15 PM
griffey has never been inspirational to any young player, never voiced team leadership, was injured consistently, is anybody proud of the reds performance during the time he was on th eteam?

He had a few good years. The Reds perfomance cannot be layed at the feet of Griffey, the Reds poor ownership and terrible management are to blame.

mlh1981
02-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Griffey had many flaws here, but there were very, very few bright spots. An improved performance by him in Cincinnati would not have revived the sinking ship that was Reds baseball during his time.

reds1869
02-16-2009, 10:56 AM
The Griffey hatred in this city amazes me. It's not like he intentionally injured himself and underperformed for the fun of it. And to say Jr. doesn't belong in the HOF is lunacy....if a guy like Koufax deserves in then so does Jr. That, and someone hitting 600 HRs deserves in for that feat alone.

bounty37h
02-16-2009, 11:24 AM

Says Josh Frickin Fogg???? :confused::eek::p:;)

gilpdawg
02-17-2009, 06:40 AM
HOF voters? Are you insinuating that Ken Griffey Jr. is not a Hall of Famer!? If he had god forbid died in a plane crash in 1999 he would have been in the Hall no questions asked. The end slide of his career should not change that.

gilpdawg
02-17-2009, 06:42 AM
I hope he goes to Atlanta. I want to see him play in GABP again. He deserves a huge ovation from the Cincinnati fans, which he rarely got as a member of the Reds.
I'll be there if it happens. I still remember the nice ovation Eric the Red got at the end of his career when he was winding down with the Giants.

gilpdawg
02-17-2009, 06:48 AM
griffey has never been inspirational to any young player, never voiced team leadership, was injured consistently,
You in the clubhouse to know any of this? The only thing in your post that is factual is the injury thing, and we all know this. People act like he wanted to be injured. I was very proud of his comeback year in 2005. That team would have rocked with a just average pitching staff. BTW, his OPS+ that year was 144. Higher than anybody's on the team that year, and tied for 7th in the National League. Had he been healthy, he would have doing that every year. But you're right. He never did anything in Cincinnati. :thumbdown

Jerome
02-17-2009, 11:30 AM
I want Griffey to go to Atlanta, and upon his return to GABP, this will happen...

If he does good--"That was a fluke," or "Why didn't he do that for us?"
If he does bad--"God, I'm so glad we got rid of him," or "That's about right, what a shameful, shameful person he is, completely worthless."

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Redman15
02-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Looks like you are going to get your wish.http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2009/02/17/braves_griffey.html