PDA

View Full Version : Griffey to the Braves.

Redman15
02-17-2009, 01:55 PM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2009/02/17/braves_griffey.html

will5979
02-17-2009, 01:59 PM
No news yet on ESPN but if true I'll have to catch a series against the Bravos this year, along with the Nats!

TheBigLebowski
02-17-2009, 02:07 PM
That's very surprising to me. I hope he does well for them.

DTCromer
02-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Awesome. Instead of watching him limp after balls in the gap and bat .220 for 162 games a year, I'll be able to do it for 6 instead.

Jr's Boy
02-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Awesome. Instead of watching him limp after balls in the gap and bat .220 for 162 games a year, I'll be able to do it for 6 instead.

Horrible post.

Jones1
02-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Im very curious to see what kind of a season Jr has this year. Will he rebound to 07 or duplicate 08? If he can hit close to 30 this year I think he has a legitimate shot at sticking around another year or 2 and breaking Mays HR record. Either way, good for Jr, he deserves it!

smoke6
02-17-2009, 03:03 PM

Not that I totally disagree with what you are saying, but JR will go down as one of the greatest of all time. He didn't cheat in an era of cheaters. Good luck JR. :beerme:

RedLakerFan24
02-17-2009, 03:06 PM
hope griffey has a good year for him, i always respected griffey because all his injuries that he had were because he sacrafice his body on the field, GOOD LUCK GRIFFEY

bounty37h
02-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Good to hear, I hope Griff enjoys playing in ATL, and has a healthy and productive year(s) with them. I dont know he wil get the chance for a ring with em, but hey, plenty of the greatest ever dont have one either.

PedroBourbon
02-17-2009, 03:42 PM
I am really shocked he ended up in the NL. Totally expected him to DH and be more of a reserve outfielder in the AL for the next 1-2 years. Anyway, good luck JR. With TBS coverage, I'm sure we can see him play a lot on TV.

Ghosts of 1990
02-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Glad he's not retiring. Would have liked to seen him finish up in Seattle.

thatcoolguy_22
02-17-2009, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=DTCromer;1804256]Awesome. Instead of watching him limp after balls in the gap and bat .220 for 162 games a year, I'll be able to do it for 6 instead.]

Horrible post.

I concur. I hope he plays well for Atlanta and accepts the platoon role with Matt Diaz. If Griffey's knee truly was bothering him for most of last season he will definitely crush again. I predict well below average defense and an .820 OPS vs RHP.

Griffey has always been my favorite player. Unfortunately now he plays for my least favorite team... (I'm orginally from Ga)

Redman15
02-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Griffey denies deal with Braves. I think he is waiting for the A-Roid press conference to get over so the press can focus on Jr. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090217&content_id=3839426&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

OGB
02-17-2009, 04:11 PM
I agree with a lot of the sentiments already expressed in this thread.

I think Griffey will go down as one of the greatest 5-10 players of all time.
He played the game honestly in an era of cheaters.
For his own good I think he'd be best off playing his remaining years in the AL where his offensive skills won't be overshadowed by how subpar his overall game has become.

Either way I like and respect Jr and wish him the best

Red in Atl
02-17-2009, 04:31 PM

For his own good I think he'd be best off playing his remaining years in the AL where his offensive skills won't be overshadowed by how subpar his overall game has become.

Here, Here...

I hate the Braves and always root against them, but it will be fun to go down just to watch Jr. And when the Nationals come to town, it will be a Reds reunion.

I said it in a post earlier, but I think Griff will be the CBPOTY this year.

UPRedsFan
02-17-2009, 04:57 PM
If Alex Gonzalez doesn't win CBPOTY then Griffey's who I'm rooting for next.

He could very well do it with the reports of his knee being fixed. I could see him easily going .275 30HR

DTCromer
02-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Not that I totally disagree with what you are saying, but JR will go down as one of the greatest of all time. He didn't cheat in an era of cheaters. Good luck JR. :beerme:

I agree he's a great player. but this guy has been apart of how many playoff teams in his career?

Red in Atl
02-17-2009, 05:16 PM
If Alex Gonzalez doesn't win CBPOTY then Griffey's who I'm rooting for next.

He could very well do it with the reports of his knee being fixed. I could see him easily going .275 30HR

That's true, I didn't even think of Alex. Let's hope for a tie...;)

bgwilly31
02-17-2009, 07:14 PM

You know what. That statement is starting to earn more and more respect each and every year as the Cheaters list keeps on growing!

Jack Burton
02-17-2009, 10:52 PM

How are you certain he was clean?

Top 5 of all time? You must be joking.

redsfanfalcon
02-17-2009, 11:04 PM
I am really shocked he ended up in the NL. Totally expected him to DH and be more of a reserve outfielder in the AL for the next 1-2 years. Anyway, good luck JR. With TBS coverage, I'm sure we can see him play a lot on TV.

The Braves are not on TBS anymore. They have a game of the week featuring different teams on Sunday afternoons now like they did last year.

JBChance
02-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Griffey denies deal with Braves. I think he is waiting for the A-Roid press conference to get over so the press can focus on Jr. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090217&content_id=3839426&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

What do you think the chances are that he goes with Seattle? Maybe he is looking to try some DH?

bounty37h
02-19-2009, 11:02 AM
I agree he's a great player. but this guy has been apart of how many playoff teams in his career?

Well, baseball [I]is [I]a team sport, lots of great players werent part of playoffs-thats on the team, not Jr.

Kingspoint
02-19-2009, 07:12 PM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2009/02/17/braves_griffey.html

Griffey said that it was stuff like this that made up his mind to sign with the Mariners. It ticked him off that Braves' personnel were leaking information about the negotiations.