PDA

View Full Version : Talker.COM Top 100

goreds2
02-17-2009, 04:39 PM
RUSH number 1, Willie Cunningham number 66.

http://talkers.com/online/?p=267

WMR
02-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Howard Stern #32? :lol:

That list = FAIL

Hoosier Red
02-17-2009, 04:48 PM
My reaction going through this was: Wow, those guys are still on? Dr. Joy Browne, Dr. Laura, G Gordon Liddy, I thought they were all done 10 years ago.

Also, this could get political pretty quickly, as anything does with el Rushbo, Hannity, and the like, so everyone play nice.

Matt700wlw
02-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Bubba the Love Sponge...short lived here in Cincy. Gee, I wonder why?

He was a bit too much for this market

MrCinatit
02-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Bob and Tom at 44? I agree with WilyMoROCKS.

goreds2
02-17-2009, 07:51 PM

That list = FAIL

Should he have been rated higher or lower?

redsfanmia
02-17-2009, 09:25 PM

Lower, he is a hack.

WMR
02-17-2009, 10:03 PM

#2 behind Rush.

It's hardly a surprise that Talkers Magazine ranks him where they did, however, seeing as how they're a complete shill for terrestrial radio.

gilpdawg
02-18-2009, 03:08 AM
Bob and Tom at 44? I agree with WilyMoROCKS.

Yeah, Bob and Tom should have been 1144.

Here's their show. Blah blah blah hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah blah blah blah hahahahahahahahahah. You can't tell what they are saying because they laugh like hyenas at everything that's said, funny or not.

gilpdawg
02-18-2009, 03:09 AM
#2 behind Rush.

It's hardly a surprise that Talkers Magazine ranks him where they did, however, seeing as how they're a complete shill for terrestrial radio.
That's correct. I'm not a fan, but the man influenced almost everybody.

Ltlabner
02-18-2009, 06:04 AM
Yeah, Bob and Tom should have been 1144.

Here's their show. Blah blah blah hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah blah blah blah hahahahahahahahahah. You can't tell what they are saying because they laugh like hyenas at everything that's said, funny or not.

I agree. They were mildly amusing at first but (1) their stuff really isn't that funny and (2) the wild uproarious laughter at everything drives me bonkers. Totally annoying.

DTCromer
02-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Where's Mike McConnell?

Unassisted
02-18-2009, 10:06 AM
The thing the list makes me wonder is how much longer there will be 100 talkers to rank. In the 6 years I've lived here, I've seen well over half of the local voices on talk radio lose their slots to syndicated names on that list.

westofyou
02-18-2009, 10:10 AM
The thing the list makes me wonder is how much longer there will be 100 talkers to rank. In the 6 years I've lived here, I've seen well over half of the local voices on talk radio lose their slots to syndicated names on that list.

Yep, talk radio is a dying thing.. thank god, it's the refuge of the untalented and the crass.

Unassisted
02-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Yep, talk radio is a dying thing.. thank god, it's the refuge of the untalented and the crass.Still, I'd rather hear someone on local radio raking the mayor and the city council over the coals than the President and the Congress. What really frosts me lately is hearing local voices devote so much airtime to national issues. I guess they don't worry about how much that sets the table for them to be replaced by a voice beamed in from elsewhere.

WMR
02-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Yep, talk radio is a dying thing.. thank god, it's the refuge of the untalented and the crass.

Refuge of the untalented, hmmm?

So keeping an audience entertained and tuned in for five hours a day for, say, 25 years doesn't require talent? You could do it?

The average person would be lucky to do such a job with any success for 25 minutes much less 25 years.

Caveat Emperor
02-18-2009, 02:02 PM
The average person would be lucky to do such a job with any success for 25 minutes much less 25 years.

Quoted for truth.

Whether you agree with the people who have talk radio shows or not, doing talk radio is one of the more difficult jobs out there -- especially if you do it well. It's a lot more difficult than throwing the phone lines open and seeing who calls. People who are successful long-term in talk radio are usually very talented individuals on many different levels, both as entertainers and personalities themselves.

I'm probably biased, though, considering I have family that does it for a living.

Caveat Emperor
02-18-2009, 02:04 PM

That list = FAIL

Is it "all time" or just this year?

Because if it's just this year, there's no doubt that Stern (and, my favorites, Opie & Anthony) has suffered from major loss of influence due to the slowdown in the satellite radio industry.

It also can't help perception that the new Sirius-XM is floundering financially and having it's long-term business-model viability questioned.

westofyou
02-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Refuge of the untalented, hmmm?

So keeping an audience entertained and tuned in for five hours a day for, say, 25 years doesn't require talent? You could do it?

The average guy I know could do 25 minutes of fart and boob jokes or rail on the opposing political party in their sleep.

As for 25 years of doing it I guess I missed the part where I actually named Howard Stern as the one that I was referring to.

George Anderson
02-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Where's Mike McConnell?

I agree, I am a talk radio junkie and Mike is one of the best.

WMR
02-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Quoted for truth.

Whether you agree with the people who have talk radio shows or not, doing talk radio is one of the more difficult jobs out there -- especially if you do it well. It's a lot more difficult than throwing the phone lines open and seeing who calls. People who are successful long-term in talk radio are usually very talented individuals on many different levels, both as entertainers and personalities themselves.

I'm probably biased, though, considering I have family that does it for a living.

WOY: this is the overall point I was making.

Whether it's 25 years in the case of HS or 6 months in the case of the local flavor of the month, if people find you boring and untalented it is likely exposed very quickly. Perhaps 25 minutes was too rash... how about 5 hours a day, 5 days a week? That's a damn hard job, IMO.

Chip R
02-18-2009, 02:23 PM
The average guy I know could do 25 minutes of fart and boob jokes or rail on the opposing political party in their sleep.

They probably could but could they keep an audience tuned in for 3 hours a day 5 days a week?

Ltlabner
02-18-2009, 03:06 PM
They probably could but could they keep an audience tuned in for 3 hours a day 5 days a week?

The reality is the average person can't make it through a single phone call to a talk-show without repeating themselves six times and boring us to tears. But any old rube can actually host a show? Please.

I'm with you. Doing it day in and day out isn't as easy as one would think.

Chip R
02-18-2009, 03:15 PM
The reality is the average person can't make it through a single phone call to a talk-show without repeating themselves six times and boring us to tears. But any old rube can actually host a show? Please.

I'm with you. Doing it day in and day out isn't as easy as one would think.

I know I rag on Marty - and other broadcasters - about their method(s) of calling a game, but the average Joe - and I include myself in that - would sound like a bumbling fool if they were in the booth without any training whatsoever. Not only do these guys have to describe the action on the field, read ads, entertain and do it all while sounding like it's the equivilant of a walk in the park.

WMR
02-18-2009, 06:29 PM
I know I rag on Marty - and other broadcasters - about their method(s) of calling a game, but the average Joe - and I include myself in that - would sound like a bumbling fool if they were in the booth without any training whatsoever. Not only do these guys have to describe the action on the field, read ads, entertain and do it all while sounding like it's the equivilant of a walk in the park.

So you ARE a Marty fanboy after all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111 :p:

I just KNEW there was a reason why you've always been so willing to listen to the HSL Show! :D

Razor Shines
02-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Still, I'd rather hear someone on local radio raking the mayor and the city council over the coals than the President and the Congress. What really frosts me lately is hearing local voices devote so much airtime to national issues. I guess they don't worry about how much that sets the table for them to be replaced by a voice beamed in from elsewhere.

Dude, dude, don't worry you are going to get your wish. I predict that very soon you'll be up to your ears in local radio. At least for a while, it may all turn to music, but for that short time oh glory, glory hallelujah what a time that will be! I mean if that's what you're into.

Red in Chicago
02-19-2009, 07:34 PM

That list = FAIL

Imus #20 is even more laughable. He's lucky to have 20 total listeners

Sea Ray
02-20-2009, 09:04 AM

What gives the idea that talk radio is dying? Local talk shows are being replaced by syndicated ones, not music or other formats.

Unassisted
02-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Dude, dude, don't worry you are going to get your wish. I predict that very soon you'll be up to your ears in local radio. At least for a while, it may all turn to music, but for that short time oh glory, glory hallelujah what a time that will be! I mean if that's what you're into.
So that mega-radio company that's headquartered in my city and south of yours is going to wave a magic wand and make all of its stations local again? I'll believe that after I see one of these. http://server5.dedicateduk.com/~ace/thb/smilies/premium/_flyingpig.gif

Chip R
02-20-2009, 12:25 PM
So you ARE a Marty fanboy after all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111 :p:

I just KNEW there was a reason why you've always been so willing to listen to the HSL Show! :D

Nah. I only listen to it hoping for a mention of Javy.

Dom Heffner
02-20-2009, 06:19 PM
I think Rush and company are talented, but it's how they put the talent to use that turns people off, and this is probably what WOY is referring to.

Sure, it takes talent to keep people entertained, but when you are keeping a certain demographic fed with falsities that just flare their temper, I'd call that more cunning or diabolical than anything.

For me, talent is a word that should be used for positive things, not somebody who screens calls to provide fresh meat for a bunch of people on the fringe of society.

This list is sort of pointless, because it isn't a ranking of respectability.

If Glenn Beck is a top 5 talented radio personality, then we should redefine what the word talent should imply. This is more of a who is influential list, and being influential isn't necessarrily a good thing.

What the formula seems to be here is find a pleasant sounding, talented "radio" person, and then let him appeal to the worst society has to offer by taking that polish and shining up some crap to cram down people's throats who are begging to be fed.

Heath
02-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Lets keep the chatter relegated to media only remarks, not political viewpoints. Discuss the pol ramifications in the Peanut Gallery.

Heath
02-20-2009, 07:12 PM
I will say this -

If Tom Leykis can still do radio, there is hope for everyone in this room.

Newport Red
02-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Two Cincinnati based talkers and Lincoln Ware of the Buzz is listed ahead of the Great American. What is this world coming to?:)

RBA
02-22-2009, 08:05 PM
I will say this -

If Tom Leykis can still do radio, there is hope for everyone in this room.

Actually, his L.A. Flagship station just dropped him along with the rest of their FM talk line-up to include Adam Corrolla.

Leykis is still getting a paycheck because CBS owes another 2 years on his contract.