PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day on the river

ClevelandRedsfn
02-18-2009, 03:04 AM
Being from northern Ohio and work scheduling I have never been to opening day until this year hopefully. In my mid forties I have been a live long fan growing up with the machine and so on.

My question to fellow zoner's is this- Other than the game atmosphere of a new season what other things are going that day? parade? etc and what time should we arrive in town? Also since opening day is a sellout is I-75 a good way to go OR should I jump over to I-71 ?

The bad news is I'm taking a Tribe fan with me but he will be converted!!

Thanks

swaisuc
02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
First of all, have a great time. It truely is a special time to experience at least once.

75 or 71 is probably a wash and the traffic will not be THAT bad until you get downtown (many streets blocked for the parade). I usually go down about 9 AM or so and bounce back and forth between the bars and checking out some of the parade. A lot of the bars open pretty early for this reason (Rock Bottom Brewery on the square for example). Just the amount of people around the downtown area is cool and you can see the parade from about anywhere if you just follow the crowds. Findlay market (where the parade starts) is kind of cool in itself if you've never seen it.

I can't remember what time the parade ends, but I know that I am always anxious to get into the stadium so I often will go in as soon as the gates open. IIRC, we see Reds batting practice on OD as opposed to only the opponents batting practice like usual.

I'm sure plenty of other people can tell you more, but thats at least a start from someone who has been at several opening days.

kyjobu
02-18-2009, 11:20 AM
It really depends on what you want to do. I've been to 11 opening days and each year it's a blast. If you want to catch the parade (which I think sometimes is overrated) find your way downtown. I agree that 75 or 71 would be a wash traffic-wise. If you want to mingle with fans and find a couple bars, I would go over to Newport. Parking is cheaper and the bars around Newport on the Levee are all within walking distance of each other. I would recommend Arnie's, Hofbrauhaus, Gameworks and Beer Sellar/Hooters. Just take 75 or 71 to 471 and it's the first exit across the river.

Usually a couple of the radio stations are at one or more of these locations doing pre-game shows all morning.

You can also catch a ferry right off the deck from Beer Sellar/Hooters for a couple of dollars and it drops you off literally steps from the stadium across the river. Picks you up afterwards too.
Hope you have fun!

stripedwarrior
02-18-2009, 12:24 PM
It really depends on what you want to do. I've been to 11 opening days and each year it's a blast. If you want to catch the parade (which I think sometimes is overrated) find your way downtown. I agree that 75 or 71 would be a wash traffic-wise. If you want to mingle with fans and find a couple bars, I would go over to Newport. Parking is cheaper and the bars around Newport on the Levee are all within walking distance. I would recommend Arnie's, Hofbrauhaus, Gameworks and Beer Sellar/Hooters. Just take 75 or 71 to 471 and it's the first exit across the river.

Usually a couple of the radio stations are at one or more of these locations doing pre-game shows all morning.

You can also catch a ferry right off the deck from Beer Sellar/Hooters for a couple of dollars and it drops you off literally steps from the stadium across the river. Picks you up afterwards too.
Hope you have fun!

X2 on the parking, food, fun, and ferry from N. Kentucky. Just be sure to get there as early as you can. Things start to fill up quick. I've taken the ferry a few times from Beer Cellar/Hooters. Well worth it.

natron20
02-18-2009, 02:05 PM
I've only been once and that was 10 years ago this year. I've yet to be lucky enough to have my name drawn to buy tickets the last few years.

I can't offer much advice but I can assure you that it will be fun and I hope you and your friend have a good time.

redsfan1966
02-18-2009, 06:56 PM
First, ClevelandRedsfn, Opening Day is a BLAST (It is my favorite day, next to my anniversary :D, of the year)---I believe it is a must for a Reds fan to experience at least one if not more.

Get on the road as early as possible. Since you are coming down from Northern Ohio, you may even want to consider coming down Sunday night and staying overnight at a hotel/motel. If you come down day of; I would suggest taking I-71. Whatever the case, get to Cincy as early as you can. Parking in Newport is a good move, as others have stated, but I would also suggest Sawyer Point (on Pete Rose Way).

I have always enjoyed starting Opening Day at GameDay on Pete Rose Way (only minutes from GABP)--breakfast is available along with "icy cold beverages". Mike McConnell and Tracy Jones (700 WLW) are on hand for Reds talk and other hijinx, plus there usually is a drawing for Opening Day tix if you dont have any in hand yet. Yes, it is crowded, but it is the best place to start, in my opinion.

Then around 11am, head downtown, preferably Fountain Square, for the Findlay Market Parade. Yes, it can be hokey, but it is a cant-miss to get the excitement building for the opener. Local and even national personalities, politicians, and former Reds are all on hand. Lots of floats and bands to get you "pumped up"---even The Ohio State University Band was on hand one year.

Then around 12:30pm - 1pm, it is time to head to the Park---either to see Bill Cunningham, "Seg" Dennison and Paul Daugherty (700 WLW) for pre-game coverage under the "Power Stacks" or for pre-game practice or festivities. This is also a great time to look for changes around the park.

Then, of course, the next three hours or so are about enjoying the game and "hanging" with those around you---everyone seems to be in a great mood on Opening Day. After the game, I like to go to Willie's in Covington for a nice post-game meal.

There you go--hopefully this has been helpful...but most of all, be sure to enjoy Opening Day!

ClevelandRedsfn
02-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the advice. Out of curiosity I searched for Reds opening day on youtube and some people have pretty cool stuff on that site. Probably going Sunday night just to eliminate the drive and crowds on gameday.

For what it is worth I believe this team is going to surprise this year and be solid contender for the division. Pitching & defense win in baseball and for once the staff seems solid with alot of upside.

Road Pop
02-19-2009, 05:25 AM
Like the others said.... take the ferry across from Newport. Heck, walk across the bridge. I've parked downtown Cincy and walked to Newport to eat and took the ferry back for the game (not on OD, though). It's a blast.

I'm trying to find someone to roadtrip with me from N. Indiana. I used to march in the parade for Kroger to get in free, LOL.