PDA

View Full Version : American Idol 2009 Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

joshnky
05-14-2009, 10:32 AM
There was some speculation that whoever lost between Kris and Danny, that their votes were more likely to go to each other rather then Adam. So if you keep in mind that with 80 million votes last night Kris and Adam were less than 1 million apart..... where are Danny's voters more likely to go. I think Kris.

I thought the same thing. If Kris does well next week I think he'll pick up the majority of Danny's votes and get the win.

smith288
05-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Im rooting for Kris...I may even pick up my phone and txt my votes (how sad but i got unlimited texting and i REALLY dont like Adam).

joshnky
05-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Im rooting for Kris...I may even pick up my phone and txt my votes (how sad but i got unlimited texting and i REALLY dont like Adam).

I agree. He may not have much of a career after this but he seems like a genuinely likable and humble guy. He has also been the long shot all season long. On top of that, I have really enjoyed some of his performances.

BuckeyeRed27
05-14-2009, 12:51 PM
I think Kris wins unless he really screws up next week. Like people have already said Gokey's votes are going to Kris. Adam is too polarizing. You either love him or hate him and no contestant like that has ever won.

Red in Chicago
05-14-2009, 02:22 PM
I think Kris wins unless he really screws up next week. Like people have already said Gokey's votes are going to Kris. Adam is too polarizing. You either love him or hate him and no contestant like that has ever won.

that hicks fellow says hi ;)

worst winner EVER

BuckeyeRed27
05-14-2009, 02:56 PM
that hicks fellow says hi ;)

worst winner EVER

He wasn't as polarizing as Adam was though. I would say he was much more like Danny.

smith288
05-14-2009, 04:19 PM
He wasn't as polarizing as Adam was though. I would say he was much more like Danny.
Agreed. Hicks was ok but I didnt HATE watching him like I do with Adam.

marcshoe
05-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Taylor Hicks won because no one knew what to do after Daughtry, or however you spell his name, was voted off.

I don't know about next week. I like Kris, but Adam's talent is transcendant. I think that with more people voting, he'll win on quality alone.

(Then again, all the AI fanatics I know like Adam, so I may not be understanding how strong the opposition is.)

Mario-Rijo
05-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Just some thoughts, some way late.

Really haven't watched a whole lot of AI until this season. I used to tune in for the tryouts for the comedic relief and that was about the jist of it. This season I watched religiously and was pretty blown away at the voices of the majority of the top 6-7.

I have said it before in this thread, don't care for Adam much but will admit that he has had a few performances that were pretty good, the motown song he did escapes me but I remember thinking he blew that one out of the water. But most of the time I just cannot stand him even though I am a big hard rock fan. Of course I sort of hope he wins just so Chris will have some freedom in the route he selects. But I suspect Chris will win!!

Chris is my favorite of the 3 and frankly if you would have asked me when they chose the top 13 I would have said no way the guy stinks. But frankly I have enjoyed him more and more every week and believe he has the most appeal, talent and likely the best future of them all. I also loved Allison she rocked I just don't know if the youth of the country are feeling here.

Danny is awesome but in the end just a singer (albeit a darn good one) and not much of an artist. Matt Giraud I think has a future if he would have that horrific mole removed from public view. He seemed to do better with voting when he had it covered up with a hat. But talent wise he is right there with Chris IMO and probably could be a bit more commercial.

KoryMac5
05-14-2009, 11:07 PM
I don't think it is going to come down to talent at all to be honest with you. I think a lot of people are tired of having Adam forced upon them this season by the judges. I mean they fawn over him every show, to the point where it is almost unwatchable. Case in point last night you had the judges praying that Adam didn't get eliminated, and Katie Perry with her Adam Lambert cape. He seems a nice enough kid with a great set of pipes but unfortunately being the judges favorite going into the last week doesn't always bode well, just ask David Archuletta.

Spitball
05-15-2009, 01:04 AM
I have never watched American Idol until this season, but I have lived in Conway, Arkansas, Kris Allen's hometown, for several years now and have enjoyed the competition. I don't know Kris Allen personally but know several people who do. They all tell me he is a great and humble guy. He might not have Adam Lambert's polish, but I like what I hear about his character.

AtomicDumpling
05-18-2009, 05:02 AM
Recipe for cloning Adam Lambert

Combine the DNA of:

1. Cher -- for her diva genes
2. Elvis Presley -- in the fat, sweaty, caped-suit years
3. Barry Gibb with a nuclear wedgie -- for the horrific shrill falsetto masquerading as "range"
4. Axl Rose on a cocaine binge -- for the out of control shrieking
5. Meatloaf -- for that bloated body and self-important attitude
6. Gene Simmons -- for the costumes and protruding tongue
7. Willy Wonka as portrayed by Johnny Depp -- for that androgynous creepy factor

smith288
05-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Recipe for cloning Adam Lambert

Combine the DNA of:

3. Barry Gibb with a nuclear wedgie -- for the horrific shrill falsetto masquerading as "range"
7. Willy Wonka as portrayed by Johnny Depp -- for that androgynous creepy factor
+1 x 100

jimbo
05-18-2009, 03:00 PM
I just don't quite understand all of the hatred shown towards Adam, but I guess it's all personal taste. I'm not going to say I am a big fan of his, but since early on in the season I've always thought he had the most talent and ability, and the most potential for future success.

Kris on the other hand, should have been gone a long time ago, IMHO. I think he's bland and boring and is only where he is because of the hordes of teenie boppers voting for him. I just don't think he has the pipes to go very far in the business. But again, it's personal taste and just an opinion.

Unfortunately, I think Allison deserved to be in the finals. She was my favorite from about the final 12 on.

smith288
05-19-2009, 12:02 PM
I just don't quite understand all of the hatred shown towards Adam, but I guess it's all personal taste. I'm not going to say I am a big fan of his, but since early on in the season I've always thought he had the most talent and ability, and the most potential for future success.

Kris on the other hand, should have been gone a long time ago, IMHO. I think he's bland and boring and is only where he is because of the hordes of teenie boppers voting for him. I just don't think he has the pipes to go very far in the business. But again, it's personal taste and just an opinion.

Unfortunately, I think Allison deserved to be in the finals. She was my favorite from about the final 12 on.
Per AtomicDumpling's post

That's pretty much Adam in summary. Chris might be boring to you but he doesnt:
A) creep me out
B) burn my ears when he tries falsettos
C) creep me out more

jimbo
05-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Like I said, it's personal taste. :dunno:

joshnky
05-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Pretty good finale. Kris and Adam both were terrific on their first songs which were repeats of the two best performances of the season. I thought Kris did great on the second song but I can see how that my fall flat to those watching it live in the theater. I always hate the stupid anthem they make them sing at the end because it is never what they'll sing on an album. Both were rough but the song favored a singer with range and therefore Adam.

Overall, it was one of the better finales and I hope Kris wins.

Red in Chicago
05-20-2009, 12:16 AM
I think Adam won tonight's competition, but Kris will ultimately win the vote tomorrow.

smith288
05-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Adam shrieked the finale song. Horrible. Chris sang his more to what I would expect it to be sang.

Adam is a weirdo btw
http://leesidolpool.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/adam1.jpg?w=316&h=500

acredsfan
05-20-2009, 01:04 AM
One mans shrieking is another mans singing. Really the hatred towards Adam doesn't suprise me, but I like him myself. Kris is good for the teenage girls, but not much else. Yeah, he has a good voice, but he's going to sing love songs and go down that tired old road. Adam on the other hand will be interesting, he is able to do a lot of things with his talent, but ultimately I feel he is best suited for broadway. He is without question the most talented and polished out of the two.

Kris doesn't have much imagination with songs. He can turn any song acoustic, but that's just mildly creative. Adam can spin a song on its head and sound darn good doing it. I was honestly rooting for Danny because he better suits the style of music I like, but from the beginning I felt it would be between Adam and Danny. It basically was even though they both aren't in the finals, but for my money I'd bet on those two being way more successful than Kris. Kris just seemed to try to charm the crowd a little too much.

All that said, they all have more talent than myself. I keep reading people say on other sites claiming anybody can scream like Adam, but I'd guess they'd never actually tried to do it themselves.

I also find it funny that after it was revealed that Alison had already won a talent show on Telemundo she was voted off. Almost seems like a little meddling by the producers.

Yachtzee
05-20-2009, 08:44 AM
I also find it funny that after it was revealed that Alison had already won a talent show on Telemundo she was voted off. Almost seems like a little meddling by the producers.

That's nothing new. Last season's finalist Archuleta had won Star Search and had been in touch with producers since the age of 11. Carly Smithson had previously had a major record deal with Randy Jackson's old label. In fact a number of last season's contestants had had connections with "the biz" before making it on Idol. This season they had Joanna Pacitti almost make it. She had been Annie in the touring company of "Annie" and sued them when they dumped her. She also had a record deal and had had songs on movie soundtracks. Kara even recognized her from being in the biz. But that didn't get her booted off. Actually rooming with a couple of producers did.

JaxRed
05-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Besides, the news that Allison had won that contest had been out for weeks before she got voted off

BRM
05-20-2009, 10:52 AM
I came in here hoping to read AtomicDumpling's review of the Finale. I was certain he'd be fawning over Adam's performance. :cool:

macro
05-20-2009, 10:54 AM
That's nothing new. Last season's finalist Archuleta had won Star Search and had been in touch with producers since the age of 11. Carly Smithson had previously had a major record deal with Randy Jackson's old label. In fact a number of last season's contestants had had connections with "the biz" before making it on Idol.

Kristy Lee Cook had signed with a label months before last year's contest.

smith288
05-20-2009, 10:57 AM
American Idol is about what artist will sell the most records. Adam might be unique and have that broadway voice but the majority really doesnt subscribe to that genre.

Kris may be dull or not very imaginative but the little ladies will buy his crap and that's what AI wants. Adam will win the typical west coast vote and probably get a very large faction of the, ahem, how shall I put this, alternative lifestyle vote. But they aren't a very large voting block and unfortunately for Adam, the Kris+Danny coalition might pull it out for Kris.

Not saying you're wrong about your opinion of the two but we have to put the show in the proper perspective.

I see Kris being on your typical 97.9 radio station and I see Adam doing dark or edgy shows on Broadway and that's not what AI wants when it determines the winner. They want a Carrie Underwood, not a Ruben Studdard.

jojo
05-20-2009, 11:33 AM
American Idol is about what artist will sell the most records. Adam might be unique and have that broadway voice but the majority really doesnt subscribe to that genre.

Kris may be dull or not very imaginative but the little ladies will buy his crap and that's what AI wants. Adam will win the typical west coast vote and probably get a very large faction of the, ahem, how shall I put this, alternative lifestyle vote. But they aren't a very large voting block and unfortunately for Adam, the Kris+Danny coalition might pull it out for Kris.

Not saying you're wrong about your opinion of the two but we have to put the show in the proper perspective.

I see Kris being on your typical 97.9 radio station and I see Adam doing dark or edgy shows on Broadway and that's not what AI wants when it determines the winner. They want a Carrie Underwood, not a Ruben Studdard.

I don't get this "broadway" label.

Adam could easily be a fixture on rock/alternative radio.

joshnky
05-20-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't get this "broadway" label.

Adam could easily be a fixture on rock/alternative radio.

I think it largely comes from his broadway experience on the cast of Wicked. Also, the big voice is essential for the stage.

traderumor
05-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Last night's show was a yawner for me. Kara's song was obviously not appropriate for either contestant's voice, not to mention the lyrics were sappy inspirational, "Wind beneath my wings" sappy. Kris is a boring artist as it is, so three songs from him only made matters worse. He has a live performance style made for radio. Adam was just OK, but if someone was tuning in for the first time to see what all the hullabaloo was, they will not be watching next season or be motivated to buy any records.

As for buying records, I could not see me buying a compilation from either. I would probably buy something by Gokey or Allison, but not the finalists.

jojo
05-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Carrie Underwood might have been the most boring contestant ever. She has done alright. But then again she was obviously better than the rest that season too IMHO.

So I guess, who knows? We'll have to tune in to find out I suppose.

BRM
05-20-2009, 01:07 PM
DialIdol has it very close.

traderumor
05-20-2009, 01:22 PM
I see either winner being Taylor Hicks on the selling records side. I just do not see mass appeal with either of them. It is kind of humorous to think how hated Kris Allen's newlywed bride is by all those jealous teeny boppers who will gobble up his first project, though.

KoryMac5
05-20-2009, 02:40 PM
I see either winner being Taylor Hicks on the selling records side. I just do not see mass appeal with either of them. It is kind of humorous to think how hated Kris Allen's newlywed bride is by all those jealous teeny boppers who will gobble up his first project, though.

I have to agree I don't see a huge market for Adam or Kris, probably the most successful of the bunch will be Allison, and I think it may take her a year or two to mature into a really good artist.

AtomicDumpling
05-20-2009, 03:21 PM
I have to agree I don't see a huge market for Adam or Kris, probably the most successful of the bunch will be Allison, and I think it may take her a year or two to mature into a really good artist.

I agree.

Allison was the most talented of the group but was obviously very young and raw. She has by far the most potential of anybody from this season.

Adam has had years of professional experience and training, yet he still has a very sharp and shrill voice. He is so absurdly theatrical and over the top. His ridiculous costumes and Cher-like preening are straight out of the 1970's and will turn off anybody with an appreciation for modern music. I really can't see him having any prolonged success outside the Broadway stage. His fame from the Idol show will allow his first album to sell some copies but it is all down hill from there. Think Clay Aiken but even weirder.

Last year's final 10 was light years better than this year. There were several singers from season 7 that I would still like to hear. Allison is the only one from season 8 that I have any interest in whatsoever. This season was kind of a dud -- like about half the Idol seasons have been so far. They don't find any true talent some years, and some years they do.

smith288
05-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Carrie Underwood might have been the most boring contestant ever. She has done alright. But then again she was obviously better than the rest that season too IMHO.

So I guess, who knows? We'll have to tune in to find out I suppose.
Carrie is hot as h3ll too. That helps.

IslandRed
05-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Kara's song was obviously not appropriate for either contestant's voice, not to mention the lyrics were sappy inspirational, "Wind beneath my wings" sappy.

Brian Mansfield, a music writer for USA Today, was on an interview panel on the news last night, and he had the best line of the night, paraphrasing: "I hate it that it might come down to who did the best job of singing a crap song."

traderumor
05-20-2009, 04:00 PM
I agree.

Allison was the most talented of the group but was obviously very young and raw. She has by far the most potential of anybody from this season.

Adam has had years of professional experience and training, yet he still has a very sharp and shrill voice. He is so absurdly theatrical and over the top. His ridiculous costumes and Cher-like preening are straight out of the 1970's and will turn off anybody with an appreciation for modern music. I really can't see him having any prolonged success outside the Broadway stage. His fame from the Idol show will allow his first album to sell some copies but it is all down hill from there. Think Clay Aiken but even weirder.

Last year's final 10 was light years better than this year. There were several singers from season 7 that I would still like to hear. Allison is the only one from season 8 that I have any interest in whatsoever. This season was kind of a dud -- like about half the Idol seasons have been so far. They don't find any true talent some years, and some years they do.I think this year lacked freshness. The singers, overall, were lacking personality, those with any personality were ridiculed (Megan), you had two sideshow Bobs, and one of those might just win it. And the addition of Kara was a trainwreck. She is simply nails on a chalkboard, the "expert" who wants to make sure everyone knows she is an "expert" which makes her no "expert" at all.

I think if AI doesn't make some meaningful format changes for next year, they will see a dramatic fade due to boredom. Or else they'll be forced to jump the shark in 2011 and do something over the top like bring Ozzy on for a judge.

BRM
05-20-2009, 05:37 PM
And the addition of Kara was a trainwreck. She is simply nails on a chalkboard, the "expert" who wants to make sure everyone knows she is an "expert" which makes her no "expert" at all.

Haven't they already decided to bring her back next season?

BuckeyeRed27
05-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Haven't they already decided to bring her back next season?

Not sure. I liked her at first, but she has really started to bug me more and more. She was terrible last night.

Mario-Rijo
05-20-2009, 06:15 PM
I think this year lacked freshness. The singers, overall, were lacking personality, those with any personality were ridiculed (Megan), you had two sideshow Bobs, and one of those might just win it. And the addition of Kara was a trainwreck. She is simply nails on a chalkboard, the "expert" who wants to make sure everyone knows she is an "expert" which makes her no "expert" at all.

I think if AI doesn't make some meaningful format changes for next year, they will see a dramatic fade due to boredom. Or else they'll be forced to jump the shark in 2011 and do something over the top like bring Ozzy on for a judge.

Personally I like Kara, at least she knows what she's talking about. Much better than Paula's long winded & meaningless drivel.

AtomicDumpling
05-20-2009, 06:24 PM
I think this year lacked freshness. The singers, overall, were lacking personality, those with any personality were ridiculed (Megan), you had two sideshow Bobs, and one of those might just win it. And the addition of Kara was a trainwreck. She is simply nails on a chalkboard, the "expert" who wants to make sure everyone knows she is an "expert" which makes her no "expert" at all.

Bringing in Kara was definitely a mistake. The show should be reducing the number of judges -- not adding more. Why do we even need judges after the audition rounds? Why can't they just let the voters decide whom they like the best? I really don't need some washed up has-beens and never-weres telling me who sang the best.

They should ditch the judges and allow the singers to spend the extra time singing. I would much rather hear more music than listen to the clueless judges spew their mindless drivel for half the show.

If they really must have judges they should keep only Simon Cowell and have one or two guest judges each week.

BRM
05-20-2009, 06:31 PM
This is from a May 5th article on associatedcontent.com.

Kara DioGuardi will be back as a judge on American Idol next season. This puts an end to the long running speculation that Kara DioGuardi might not return for another season, and means that there will still be a fourth judge on the show when American Idol returns again next winter. The announcement came from fellow American Idol judge Simon Cowell, as he gave an extended interview on The Ellen DeGeneres Show on Tuesday. The announcement came as he was talking about everything to do with American Idol, and is serving as quite interesting news.

Mario-Rijo
05-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Bringing in Kara was definitely a mistake. The show should be reducing the number of judges -- not adding more. Why do we even need judges after the audition rounds? Why can't they just let the voters decide whom they like the best? I really don't need some washed up has-beens and never-weres telling me who sang the best.

They should ditch the judges and allow the singers to spend the extra time singing. I would much rather hear more music than listen to the clueless judges spew their mindless drivel for half the show.

If they really must have judges they should keep only Simon Cowell and have one or two guest judges each week.

I happen to appreciate the judges input as long as they keep it fairly short or it's meaningful, Paula is neither IMO. But I must say I like that idea, good way to keep it fresh. Problem is the guest judges would have a problem seeing growth.

Dom Heffner
05-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Kara has made me appreciate Paula. Her voice inflection and criticism are terrible.

I walk around the house imitating Kara.

To my cat, Boss Kitty: "Boss, one thing I love about you is that you get it. You get what it is to be a cat. You go in your litterbox. You rub on my pants leg. You meow when you should. And you know what? You're going to make it far the animal kingdom."

Just picture her saying that, swaying her head back and forth sounding like a little miss know it all.

She is unwatchable for me.

IslandRed
05-20-2009, 07:13 PM

Why? Because it's a TV show first and a singing competition second. Talent shows of the type you describe have been on TV for as long as there's been TV, and most of them came and went with little notice from the viewing public. Simon, at least, is indispensable to Idol, for better or worse. Without him, it's just Star Search, and that was nobody's appointment television except for the relatives of the people performing on it.

Not saying you don't have a point about what kind of show music aesthetes would prefer, but that's life. Same way we have to suffer all the distracting nonsense at ballgames designed to attract the casual fan because there aren't enough baseball purists to go around.

Roy Tucker
05-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Actually, Paula has bordered on lucidity since she got off painkiller meds.

I just wish the judges wouldn't interrupt each other. That's the most annoying thing to me. And I still think about 1/2 way through the season after the judges were hammering everyone, they did a 180 and all of a sudden started being nice.

And they *really* shouldn't pimp a contestant as much as they've pimped Adam.

Mario-Rijo
05-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Kara has made me appreciate Paula. Her voice inflection and criticism are terrible.

I walk around the house imitating Kara.

To my cat, Boss Kitty: "Boss, one thing I love about you is that you get it. You get what it is to be a cat. You go in your litterbox. You rub on my pants leg. You meow when you should. And you know what? You're going to make it far the animal kingdom."

Just picture her saying that, swaying her head back and forth sounding like a little miss know it all.

She is unwatchable for me.

I don't agree about Kara Dom but that is hilarious nonetheless. She isn't great but she is at least more to the point than Paula and her lovefest with every young guy on the show. :thumbup:

KoryMac5
05-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Finished up watching a really good finale. Adam's performance with Kiss was really good as well as several others tonight. I have to admit I wasn't shocked that Chris won, the judges hopefully will learn next season to be a little more impartial and not anoint a winner until the very end.

traderumor
05-20-2009, 11:24 PM
The finale bailed out last night's finals. Gene Simmons freaked me out though. Guess I've just seen him too many times out of make up and as a father, and somewhat normal, to see him doing the Kiss gig 70s style again.

Congrats to Kris, but he is still boring.

jimbo
05-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Congrats to Kris, but he is still INCREDIBLY boring.

Improvised your comment, hope you don't mind.

Caps off a lackluster season of American Idol.

Redsfaithful
05-21-2009, 12:00 AM
And they *really* shouldn't pimp a contestant as much as they've pimped Adam.

I have to think this is a big reason why he lost.

Adam should go be the new lead singer of Queen. And I don't say that disparagingly at all, that would just be a perfect fit. He would have been huge in the 70's, now I don't know. I can recognize and appreciate that he has an incredible voice, I just don't particularly care for the sound of it.

Kris seems like a good guy, he needs to emulate Jason Mraz as much as possible and he'll sell records.

This season was pretty weak overall.

KoryMac5
05-21-2009, 12:18 AM
I have to think this is a big reason why he lost.

Adam should go be the new lead singer of Queen. And I don't say that disparagingly at all, that would just be a perfect fit. He would have been huge in the 70's, now I don't know. I can recognize and appreciate that he has an incredible voice, I just don't particularly care for the sound of it.

Kris seems like a good guy, he needs to emulate Jason Mraz as much as possible and he'll sell records.

This season was pretty weak overall.

Brian May looked like he was having a good time jamming with Adam. I think he did Freddie Mercury proud.

IslandRed
05-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah, Adam's not my cup of tea, but pairing him with Kiss and Queen were home runs. Theatrical? Over the top? Yes, and don't you forget it.

Otherwise, (Randy)that season was just okay for me(/Randy). I didn't like any of them as much as David Cook, and especially not as much as Melinda Doolittle, who didn't win anyway, or Chris Daughtry, who didn't either.

durl
05-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Adam is a theatrical-like performer. I can see him working well with a band that will allow him to do his thing. Freddie Mercury was a similar type of performer so I can see why Brian May enjoyed performing with Adam.

I'm not the target demographic but I'm glad Kris won the competition.

smith288
05-21-2009, 10:50 AM

:thumbup: Do I win an ugly trophy like Kris did?

traderumor
05-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Kris is the "American Dream" winner. The ironic part of that is that the finale was set up as the coronation of king Adam. He got two spotlight sings, and Kris barely got to hold a mic. You barely knew Kris was a finalist. Then, they called his name. Awesome, in a good for the underdog kind of way.

BuckeyeRed27
05-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Kris is the "American Dream" winner. The ironic part of that is that the finale was set up as the coronation of king Adam. He got two spotlight sings, and Kris barely got to hold a mic. You barely knew Kris was a finalist. Then, they called his name. Awesome, in a good for the underdog kind of way.

They both sang the same amount. They did a duet with Queen. Adam sang with Kiss and Kris sang with Keith Urban. Then they were both involved in several group numbers.

I love the American Idol finale and last night's was great. One of my favorites actually was that Steve Martin song with Sarver and Megan.

joshnky
05-21-2009, 12:43 PM
They both sang the same amount. They did a duet with Queen. Adam sang with Kiss and Kris sang with Keith Urban. Then they were both involved in several group numbers.

I think it just seemed like Adam got highlighted because Kris sang earlier and the Kiss number was much more memorable. That was a terrific pairing and shows where Adam can have a great deal of success if he chooses. I imagine he'll try the solo route for a while (they all do) and maybe join a band when that falls through.

I thought the pairing of Kris with Keith Urban was interesting. I wonder if Kris wants to go the country route or if AI just forced that on him. I imagine he could have a lot of success with a "modern" country album.

Redsfaithful
05-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah the Steve Martin thing was kind of bizarre, but entertaining. But I was the only person in America who liked Megan, so that didn't hurt.

I liked Adam more last night than I did all season, agree that KISS and Queen are his niche. I found that when he's doing something that fits he doesn't bug me nearly as much.

joshnky
05-21-2009, 01:31 PM
I liked Adam more last night than I did all season, agree that KISS and Queen are his niche. I found that when he's doing something that fits he doesn't bug me nearly as much.

Performing with Kiss made him seem almost normal relative to the rest.

smith288
05-21-2009, 01:38 PM
His outfit sure made more sense after Kiss came out. Still looked goofy even for a kiss ensemble.

Redsfaithful
05-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Performing with Kiss made him seem almost normal relative to the rest.

So true.

HotCorner
05-21-2009, 03:14 PM
KISS co-founder Gene Simmons was asked whether Lambert would be invited to join the band on the road this fall. "No," said Simmons. "He'd be better off joining Queen."

Indeed, Lambert seemed right at home when he and Allen joined Queen guitarist Brian May for a spirited rendition of "We Are The Champions." Queen has been in the market for a singer (the group hasn't had a permanent frontman since the flamboyant Freddie Mercury died in 1991). Perhaps that's an announcement somewhere down the road.

AtomicDumpling
05-21-2009, 03:24 PM
So Adam's role is to dress up in goofy costumes with lots of makeup and "rock out" with geriatric has-beens from the 1970's? Surely he can do better than that.

durl
05-21-2009, 03:57 PM
I love the American Idol finale and last night's was great. One of my favorites actually was that Steve Martin song with Sarver and Megan.

I thought that song was awful, but only because of the two singers. You had 2 pop singers who like to slide the words singing a bluegrass song. Bad fit to me.

I saw Martin and his band perform that song on another show with a female singer who didn't try to "pop" it up and it was GREAT.

AtomicDumpling
05-21-2009, 10:48 PM
A top Fox executive said today that the voting was not even close. He said Kris won a clear victory by a wide margin. Wow.

DialIdol had the race too close to call but Kris was ahead by a small margin. Apparently it wasn't close after all.

traderumor
05-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Yeah the Steve Martin thing was kind of bizarre, but entertaining. But I was the only person in America who liked Megan, so that didn't hurt.

I liked Adam more last night than I did all season, agree that KISS and Queen are his niche. I found that when he's doing something that fits he doesn't bug me nearly as much.Not the only one. I hate clones, and she definitely is not that. The unique sound of her voice, with some professional help, could really result in a memorable sound, in a good way. Now the dancing, well, I'm sure someone can help her with that ;)

jojo
05-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Not the only one. I hate clones, and she definitely is not that. The unique sound of her voice, with some professional help, could really result in a memorable sound, in a good way. Now the dancing, well, I'm sure someone can help her with that ;)

Really once one gets past the distracting body art, the only issue Megan had was that she cant sing a lick. :cool:

macro
05-22-2009, 01:04 AM
I was very impressed with Kris' duet with Keith Urban, and I swear, he sang just as good as Urban. I really think that Urban-type pop-country is really where Kris needs to go, and if he does, I see no reason why he can't make a decent-sized splash in country music.

Anyone else get the feeling that Kris' wife is "very" uncomfortable in front of a camera?

Slyder
05-22-2009, 10:46 AM
A top Fox executive said today that the voting was not even close. He said Kris won a clear victory by a wide margin. Wow.

DialIdol had the race too close to call but Kris was ahead by a small margin. Apparently it wasn't close after all.

Of course it wasnt and they said it was. Try to keep people watching, wouldnt have to watch if they said "ya Kris is going to win and its not close".

traderumor
05-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Really once one gets past the distracting body art, the only issue Megan had was that she cant sing a lick. :cool:My ear's ok, not professional, but I am not tone deaf. She has a unique style, but she can sing.

Redsfaithful
05-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Really once one gets past the distracting body art, the only issue Megan had was that she cant sing a lick. :cool:

She wasn't a polished singer by any means, but I think she'd make a good studio album where she can do multiple takes and have professional help. I think you used to have that a lot more with American Idol, people who have talent but aren't trained, it's just moving away from novices towards people who have already had record deals or done other professional work.

I don't think the show is improved by having pros competing, it takes away a lot of the drama when you know most everyone in the finals is going to be, at minimum, competent most nights.

jojo
05-22-2009, 11:46 AM
She wasn't a polished singer by any means, but I think she'd make a good studio album where she can do multiple takes and have professional help. I think you used to have that a lot more with American Idol, people who have talent but aren't trained, it's just moving away from novices towards people who have already had record deals or done other professional work.

I don't think the show is improved by having pros competing, it takes away a lot of the drama when you know most everyone in the finals is going to be, at minimum, competent most nights.

I was mostly teasing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this is especially true with music. Music is neither good nor bad. It simply either speaks to you or it doesn't. And even then, the same little ditty could say different things to different ears.

smith288
05-22-2009, 12:04 PM
My ear's ok, not professional, but I am not tone deaf. She has a unique style, but she can sing.
I thought she could sing (relatively speaking here) but her shimmy she does when she sings is more distracting than her ugly tattoo.

traderumor
05-22-2009, 12:07 PM
I was mostly teasing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this is especially true with music. Music is neither good nor bad. It simply either speaks to you or it doesn't. And even then, the same little ditty could say different things to different ears.I am normally an absolutist, but I agree with relativism in music. A good example is that, for some reason, I love the bluegrass song "Man of Constant Sorrows" in "Brother Where Art Thou," and I am normally making fun of pop country, so bluegrass is definately not a normal taste.

traderumor
05-22-2009, 12:08 PM
I thought she could sing (relatively speaking here) but her shimmy she does when she sings is more distracting than her ugly tattoo.I would use the word disturbing ;)

REDblooded
05-22-2009, 12:32 PM
I thought she could sing (relatively speaking here) but her shimmy she does when she sings is more distracting than her ugly tattoo.

Yeah... She obviously purchased a "dance with the Jetsons" training video..

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/eep-opp-ork-ah-ah/2377900647715445561/?icid=VIDURVANI01

macro
05-23-2009, 06:13 PM

Did you catch the quick glimpse the cameras gave us of her dancing in the aisle, shortly after the Black Eyed Peas came on? Oh, my. :eek: