PDA

View Full Version : American Idol 2009 Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Roy Tucker
02-18-2009, 11:35 AM
So, was last night's show a train wreck or what?

I flipped channels after a while because it got so painful to watch contestants crash and burn.

JaxRed
02-18-2009, 11:36 AM
The very last guy "Gorky?" (the one who's wife died) was far and away the best

joshnky
02-18-2009, 12:12 PM

I flipped channels after a while because it got so painful to watch contestants crash and burn.

Agreed. Danny Gokey has potential but the rest were awful. I'm not sure about this new format and letting 36 contestants through. It just increases the percentage of awful singers.

JaxRed
02-18-2009, 12:18 PM
The only problem I had with the format is killing off 9 of 12 each round. I have no problem with more rounds and knocking off 2 at a time.

Roy Tucker
02-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Agreed. Danny Gokey has potential but the rest were awful. I'm not sure about this new format and letting 36 contestants through. It just increases the percentage of awful singers.

Yep.

Did the old format send 24 contestants out of Hollywood? Even then, they had their share of clunkers. I think they've just upped the odds. The interviews with parents/singers afterwards were disasters.

Gokey was pretty good but certainly didn't deserve all the gushing from 3 of hte 4 judges. Anoop Desai has potential but seemed a dud last night. The girl with the pink highlights was very average. And then they was very schizophrenic in their expectations of Tatiana. Singer or circus freak?

I gotta think Fox is scrambling to fix it.

GoReds33
02-18-2009, 12:37 PM
I agree. I turned it on, because there was nothing on television last night. It was probably the worst American Idol ever. I am not exaggerating, either.

GIK
02-18-2009, 12:55 PM
I changed the channel after the first contestant. I only watched the first audition show and think I'll bail this year. Maybe I'll give it another try when they're down to 12, but it's doubtful. There is so much better alternative programming this year than last I just can't convince myself to watch this.

IslandRed
02-18-2009, 01:05 PM
I see where you guys are coming from, but on the plus side, most of these people we'll only have to hear once. In previous years the woeful, destined-to-miss-the-top-12 singers would get as many as three chances to grate on our eardrums before going away. At least we get more variety this way.

remdog
02-18-2009, 02:48 PM
I continue to be amazed that some people actually spend some of their waking, breathing life watching this drivel. (Famous shrug)

Rem

BRM
02-18-2009, 02:50 PM
I continue to be amazed that some people actually spend some of their waking, breathing life watching this drivel. (Famous shrug)

Rem

Some people? MILLIONS of people watch this drivel. I used to watch it a couple of years ago with the family. Now I retire to the basement when it comes on. I can't stand the show.

BuckeyeRed27
02-18-2009, 06:09 PM
It was a little rough last night and even the best weren't fantastic, but that is pretty common in the early going. More than anything they looked uncomfortable almost across the board. After 8 seasons and some really good talent on the show you expect these people to just show up and be good, but its more of a process than that.

I'd say about 4 maybe 5 last night had actual potential.

MWM
02-18-2009, 06:18 PM
I haven't watched 1 second of this year's season for the first time ever. It ran it's course with both my wife and I and it just doesn't hold our interest any more. I really enjoyed it for a few years.

And BTW, woudn't it take actually spending "waking hours" watching to know whether or not it's drivel?

TeamSelig
02-18-2009, 06:48 PM
I thought the blonde was decent. The Gokey guy was good but not great, like most of the judges acted. I kinda liked the country singer too.

Redsfaithful
02-18-2009, 07:42 PM
If it wasn't for DVR I doubt I'd watch, but at this point I can watch two hours of American Idol in about 20 minutes. Skipping all of the non-singing, a good portion of the judges comments, and the bad singing makes it go pretty quickly.

Although I have to admit, last season's was the first I ever really sat down and watched, and it seems like that one was above average from what I have read and been told. So I might still bail on this season at some point.

BuckeyeRed27
02-18-2009, 07:58 PM
If it wasn't for DVR I doubt I'd watch, but at this point I can watch two hours of American Idol in about 20 minutes. Skipping all of the non-singing, a good portion of the judges comments, and the bad singing makes it go pretty quickly.

Totally agree with the DVR comment. I haven't watched Idol live since probably season 2. I started watching last night's episode at about 8:55 and finished at about 10:05 and I watched all of the judges comments which is pretty rare for me.

IslandRed
02-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Ditto. Since the missus records it and we watch it together with liberal use of fast-forward, following the show isn't hard. I don't think I'd bother if she didn't want to watch anymore, though.

ochre
02-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Is the new format a vftw filter?

Red in Chicago
02-19-2009, 07:38 PM

This is the worst season ever IMHO. I'm angry with myself for even tuning in.

macro
02-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Is the new format a vftw filter?

That crossed my mind, too, but it could be that they're just trying to keep it from getting stale. On the other hand, the new format does make it nearly impossible for VoteForTheWorst to keep a bad one around, at least in these earlier rounds.

They can still focus on one undeserving contestant from the final twelve and keep him/her around for awhile, though, and we already have that one undeserving contestant, thanks to Simon urging the lemmings to give him another chance.

I'm beginning to wonder if we can trust anything Simon says. At the start of Hollywood week, he told them that if they forgot the lyrics, they were gone and that was that. Then they proceed to put at least two (or more) people through to the final 36 that blatantly forgot their lyrics.

Then, his big punch line of the night this week was that people blew their one big chance. (Never mind that they still have a wildcard round coming up. ;) ) Then he urges voters to give the big oil boy another chance, even though his performance was horrible. Anoop didn't look too happy at the end, and with good reason.

We have to remember, though, that this is just television and this is more of a tv show and less of an actual contest. They're going to do and say whatever makes for the best television show.

BRM
02-20-2009, 09:21 AM
This is the worst season ever IMHO. I'm angry with myself for even tuning in.

I'm betting it will get advertised as the best season ever once the final 12 are picked. Every year is the best season ever according to their promos.

MWM
02-20-2009, 11:20 AM
They changed the voting format this year?

BuckeyeRed27
02-20-2009, 11:23 AM
They changed the voting format this year?

Yes the past few seasons the judges would pick the Top 24 and then audience vote would bring it all the way down 2 at a time until 12 and then 1 at a time the rest of the way. This year they picked the Top 36 and then paired them off into groups of 12 that will compete and the top 3 from each group go into the Top 12. There is also a wild card round although I'm still confused about how that is going to work.

macro
02-20-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm betting it will get advertised as the best season ever once the final 12 are picked. Every year is the best season ever according to their promos.

It's kinda like The Bachelor, which my wife used to watch. Every season, every night they'd say "Tonight, the most dramatic rose ceremony evarrrrrr!!!!!" It became a running joke in our living room.

As for the wildcard round, the four judges will hand-select the contestants they feel are most worthy of another chance. They did not place an exact number on that in the release I read awhile back, but it eluded to something like 8 or 10 people. After these three weeks of 12, they'll give the wildcard people their last chance and three from that group will become finalists, making a total of twelve.

MWM
02-20-2009, 05:37 PM
That's what they did in the first few seasons I think. They had grops of 12, and 2 from each group would go through, then they had a wild card. In season 2, Reuben, Clay, and Kimberly Lock wound up being the top 3 finishers, and they were all 3 in the same group of 12. Clay Aiken made the top 12 as a wild card.

Red in Chicago
02-25-2009, 08:07 PM
omg...i'm watching it again this week and the first girl is simply horrible...ugh...

TeamSelig
02-25-2009, 09:00 PM
red head was awesome

TeamSelig
02-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Also just to add... every year American Idol talks about it being the best ever, and every year on the opposite end, people talk about how terrible its gradually getting lol

macro
02-25-2009, 11:04 PM
red head was awesome

I was not as impressed with her as the judges were. I thought she overplayed it with the theatrics and also with her singing. She's got an awesome voice, but she needs to reign it in a bit, but I'm probably in the minority with that opinion. I thought she screamed quite a bit, and it reminded me of that biker nurse from last year.

Roy Tucker
02-26-2009, 08:21 AM
I continue to be underwhelmed.

Allison (the red-head 16 yr. old) has some talent and reminds me a bit of the biker chick from last year, but my God she is dumb as a box of rocks. Her pre-sing banter was gratingly obnoxiously stupid and it took me about 1/2 of her sing to get over it and listen to her.

The last guy (Adam?) seemed the most talented and polished, but he reminded me of when I used to go to rock clubs and see a pretty good band play and wonder why they hadn't made it yet and then realize they are just like 100's of other bands and there is nothing really outstanding, just vanilla-ish competent.

Other than that, can't really say anyone else stood out. Maybe Misha(mumble). And I was surprised they put Nick the crazy headband guy on the air. I didn't think they carried the freak shows through to this round.

BRM
02-26-2009, 10:06 AM

Same here. Pathetic was the word I used last night.

I got sucked into watching it with the family last night. I was having a perfectly good time watching hoops on ESPN when I was dragged into the living room for AI. I told them afterwards never to ask me to watch this drivel again. They promised they wouldn't ask me anymore. Even my wife is considering not watching it anymore and she's always been a big fan of the show.

TeamSelig
02-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Allison was really weird and nervous, but once she got up there to sing she was great. I disagree with the biker nurse comparison, but thats just me. She does have a raspy deeper voice similar to her, but thats about it IMO.

I also liked the tattoo girl, I forget her name [although I don't even try to learn names until later on]

There is just something about AI that draws everyone in every season, even though they hate it .. I think it is the inner-critic, it's always fun.

Redsfaithful
02-26-2009, 11:59 AM
I actually thought last night was way better than last week, apart from the first three performances which were as bad as any I've ever seen.

Also, Norman kills me, I don't know why, I'm not usually a fan of the gimmicky people in the auditions, but I think it's that he's exposing how goofy the show really is.

The thing that actually bugs me the most about this season is the new judge, she doesn't really bring anything to the table that's worthwhile so I'm not sure what the point of bringing her on was.

joshnky
02-26-2009, 12:03 PM
The thing that actually bugs me the most about this season is the new judge, she doesn't really bring anything to the table that's worthwhile so I'm not sure what the point of bringing her on was.

Paula's contract is up after this year and I suspect they plan on replacing her with the more lucid and stable Kara.

kaldaniels
02-26-2009, 12:11 PM

Allison (the red-head 16 yr. old) has some talent and reminds me a bit of the biker chick from last year, but my God she is dumb as a box of rocks. Her pre-sing banter was gratingly obnoxiously stupid and it took me about 1/2 of her sing to get over it and listen to her.

The last guy (Adam?) seemed the most talented and polished, but he reminded me of when I used to go to rock clubs and see a pretty good band play and wonder why they hadn't made it yet and then realize they are just like 100's of other bands and there is nothing really outstanding, just vanilla-ish competent.

Other than that, can't really say anyone else stood out. Maybe Misha(mumble). And I was surprised they put Nick the crazy headband guy on the air. I didn't think they carried the freak shows through to this round.

I'll say this about Nick. He's ridiculous. He's making a mockery of the show. He has no chance once the cream rises and favorites emerge.

But the dude has some singing talent in there...better than many who made it through to the top 32.

macro
02-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Allison was really weird and nervous, but once she got up there to sing she was great. I disagree with the biker nurse comparison, but thats just me. She does have a raspy deeper voice similar to her, but thats about it IMO.

Well, there's also the really huge hair helmet that they both have in common.

Paula's contract is up after this year and I suspect they plan on replacing her with the more lucid and stable Kara.

Good riddance to Paula. It's frustrating to watch someone get sloshy drunk on national television every night, and then try form sentences. I'm surprised they permit her to remain on the air, contract or not.

TeamSelig
03-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I disagreed with almost every person they picked for the wild card round. I really wanted the guy who sang Hey There Delilah in there.

Roy Tucker
03-11-2009, 08:28 AM
The Top 13 finalists sang last night.

Actually, a fairly decent group. I think the blind guy will get a lot of sympathy vote but I don't think he's all that great. Lil and Danny are my picks. The 27 yr. old rocker guy isn't my cup of tea, but he's up there too. I think the tatoo girl and Jasmine are toast.

Starting a couple weeks ago, I think the judges were told to ease up on their criticisms. They've been nicer to everyone instead of ripping them a new one like they had been doing (and deservedly so).

jojo
03-11-2009, 09:13 AM
I watched a little bit last night and I think we're watching the slow march of the woolly mammoth as it makes it's way to the dying cave.

Maybe that's hyperbole but we're definitely watching Jr play center in a Reds uniform.

The last year that our house watched Idol consistently was the year Underwood won.

smith288
03-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Im no Lil fan. We already had her type, Fantasia.

I like Danny, Garaud and the little petite blonde chick who stunk it up last night but I just like her and would like to see her get another shot.

The rocker guy sucks. I cant stand him. His style, hair, eyeliner. His stupid Axel Rose falsettos. The guy just grates on me like im a block of colby.

The tattoo chick is pretty and has a good voice but that tattoo gets all my attention. I shouldnt judge her on that but that is like putting graffiti on the Great wall of china. Gorgeous landmark, ugly graffiti. Her little shimmy dance bothers me too. At least Danny Gokey can fake his inability to dance.

Blind dude isnt all that good at all. Sympathy will only get you so far. It's wrong to vote for him based on sympathy. This isnt a welfare show for those of the underprivelaged and blind. Can he sing the best? No? Then get rid of him.

The 16 yr old latino girl with red hair is pretty good. She seems awfully awkward when they talk to her but she is a great performer and we may have a copy of Kelly Clarkson which isnt a great thing, but more widely accepted than another fantasia.

Razor Shines
03-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Same here. Pathetic was the word I used last night.

I got sucked into watching it with the family last night. I was having a perfectly good time watching hoops on ESPN when I was dragged into the living room for AI. I told them afterwards never to ask me to watch this drivel again. They promised they wouldn't ask me anymore. Even my wife is considering not watching it anymore and she's always been a big fan of the show.

Well holy crap, bro, maybe if you'd spend less time with your family then you'd have more time to play video games. Namely The Show 2009. I know you'll make the right decision.

BRM
03-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Well holy crap, bro, maybe if you'd spend less time with your family then you'd have more time to play video games. Namely The Show 2009. I know you'll make the right decision.

:laugh: You're killing me dude.

I actually have been playing some games lately but on the Wii, with the kids obviously. We just bought one a couple of weeks ago so it's all the rage at our house at the moment.

BuckeyeRed27
03-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Danny Gokey, Adam Lambert and everybody else.

I think Jorge goes home tonight for sure. Not sure who the other will be but I have a feeling it might be oil rig guy.

Overall though I like this group.

Redhook
03-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Personally, I can't stand Adam Lambert. And I like rock. I just don't like his voice at all. His singing makes me cringe.

I like Danny Gokey a lot and several others. I think there's some nice talent this year. Not great, but pretty good.

BuckeyeRed27
03-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Personally, I can't stand Adam Lambert. And I like rock. I just don't like his voice at all. His singing makes me cringe.

Interesting. He is hands down my girlfriend and my favorite. I will be really surprised if he doens't make Top 3.

Redhook
03-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Interesting. He is hands down my girlfriend and my favorite. I will be really surprised if he doens't make Top 3.

I believe he'll be in the top 3 as well. I just don't like him. He is very "current" as they say, but he doesn't do it for me. I could see him singing for 'My Chemical Romance' or 'Fallout Boy'. Bands like that. But, those bands all sound very similar to me.

TeamSelig
03-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Jorge (who shouldn't have made it anyway IMO) and Jasmine/Annop would be my picks to be eliminated. Then maybe Michael (oil rig) or the blind guy, both of which I like - just don't think they are as good. I hope Megan stays. Very hot and I like her unique tone.

I thought the show was really good overall.

Redsfaithful
03-12-2009, 12:35 AM
Adam Lambert should be singing showtunes.

Overall though, this really isn't too bad of a group. Most everyone left is competent at least, which can't always be said at this stage.

The 16 year old girl with red hair has a great voice, she reminds me of the singers from Heart. I'll be surprised if it doesn't come down to Round and Lambert though, as of right now.

Mario-Rijo
03-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Jorge (who shouldn't have made it anyway IMO) and Jasmine/Annop would be my picks to be eliminated. Then maybe Michael (oil rig) or the blind guy, both of which I like - just don't think they are as good. I hope Megan stays. Very hot and I like her unique tone.

I thought the show was really good overall.

Looks like you were dead on. I had the same feeling although I thought for sure Anoop was definitely toast (he was horrendous last night). Jorge deserved more of a chance than Anoop at least he can sing albeit with an accent. Jasmine I really liked but just don't feel she's ready for all of it. However no big issues as none of them had a legit chance to win.

I have liked Gokey, Lil, Alison and Megan (tat girl) and at times I like Matt Giraud and Chris a little. I cannot stand Lambert but believe he will be top 3 with Gokey and Lil, heck he may even win but not a fan. King Diamond falsettos is who he reminds me of and not Axel Rose as someone else suggested. Megan is pretty sharp girl and she was smokin' in that red dress on tuesday but she really needs to cut out that really foolish quirky twist move if she wants to last another week, it's irritating. The tat is done well BTW so therefore it doesn't bother me. Alexis Grace is ok but something seems to be missing and I think it's the fashion thing, she just seems to have little fashion sense. Sarver and the blind guy are ok singers but not good enough make the top 5-7.

Roy Tucker
03-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Not sure I like the effect of the save-someone-once rule for the judges. To get voted out, have to sing for your life, and then get the thumbs down from the judges seems unnecessarily cruel. And you know its goig to be several weeks before they exercise it.

justincredible
03-12-2009, 09:31 AM
http://weblogs.newsday.com/entertainment/music/idol/blog/megan0311.jpg

Megan needs to stick around as long as possible, although I think Danny should win it as of now. A Danny vs Megan final would be perfect for me. IMO, Megan is the hottest contestant ever on American Idol.

JaxRed
03-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Megan will be gone soon. Has sung poorly at every opportunity, and has zero stage presence.

justincredible
03-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Megan will be gone soon. Has sung poorly at every opportunity, and has zero stage presence.

I disagree.

I should say, she may very well be gone soon, but I disagree that she has sang poorly and has zero stage presence.

Danny Serafini
03-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm with JaxRed on this. She's the one finalist that stuck out to me as not belonging. She's not terrible but she simply isn't that good. Plus she has no clue what to do with herself on stage.

justincredible
03-12-2009, 10:31 AM
I like her because she is different. I don't think she has an awesome voice ala Carrie Underwood but she definitely has something about her. Like the judges have said, she is very current, relevant, whatever. I think she is very marketable. Maybe it's because I want to jump her bones, I don't know, but I'd buy her album if she ever releases one.

Roy Tucker
03-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Mark me as not a Megan fan. The judges have talked about a unique quality in her voice which I just don't get. She sounds very ordinary to me and not much range.

And she is presenting a really mixed image. She seems to be trynig to play off her cuteness and blondness as a wholesome thing. But that huge tat is very jarring and just doesn't fit. Either wear long sleeves and be Carrie Underwood v.2 or play off the tatoo and get a little nastier. Right now, it just doesn't work, at least for me.

justincredible
03-12-2009, 11:04 AM
A tattoo do not equal the need to be "nasty" as you put it, but I also don't see her as trying to pull off being wholesome. Cute and blond, sure. It looks like I am fighting a losing battle on here, though.

Roy Tucker
03-12-2009, 11:27 AM
A tattoo do not equal the need to be "nasty" as you put it, but I also don't see her as trying to pull off being wholesome. Cute and blond, sure. It looks like I am fighting a losing battle on here, though.

No worries, all just opinions here. No right, no wrong.

I'm an old guy so a tatoo means something different to me than people of younger generations.

TeamSelig
03-12-2009, 11:34 AM
I agree with you justin. She is a good singer, but very different from the others. I also don't see any wholesome to her. edit - or nasty for that matter. She is far from nasty IMO

I also hate Adam Lambert. Not a fan at all, especially considering all of the new found hype. I didn't think he sang that well and was a little shriek-y if that's a word.

My top 5:
Lil Rounds, Danny Gokey, Allison, Alexis, and Megan

Next cut is probably Anoop.

marcshoe
03-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Ugh. I think Megan's terrible, even worse than Jasmine. I've been shocked at the support she's received. To me, the biggest problem with her unique style of singing is that there's an absence of anything that relates to the concept of music.

In other words, I'm not a fan.

BuckeyeRed27
03-12-2009, 12:38 PM
I think the right two went home last night.

I totally agree with the comment about Megan giving off a mixed vibe. She is very pretty and I do like her voice and I also like her tat...but then she is bobbing around the stage singing about jaybirds...very odd.

My favorite so far is Adam Lambert by a mile. Pretty surprised he is getting so many negative comments on here. Not to say that the opinions are wrong I'm just surprised. He has that David Cook abaility to take someone elses song and change it a little bit and make it his own and I really like that.

I also like Danny Gokey quite a bit. Just seems like a nice guy and is entertaining. Although I feel he would be another Taylor Hicks if he won. Not sure I would buy a Danny Gokey album.

Yachtzee
03-12-2009, 04:01 PM
CAW CAW

Dom Heffner
03-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Adam Lambert would do himself a huge favor if he would stop the prancing around- it screams musical theater. I keep waiting for him to wink at the camera.

smith288
03-12-2009, 04:30 PM
I think the right two went home last night.

I totally agree with the comment about Megan giving off a mixed vibe. She is very pretty and I do like her voice and I also like her tat...but then she is bobbing around the stage singing about jaybirds...very odd.

My favorite so far is Adam Lambert by a mile. Pretty surprised he is getting so many negative comments on here. Not to say that the opinions are wrong I'm just surprised. He has that David Cook abaility to take someone elses song and change it a little bit and make it his own and I really like that.

I also like Danny Gokey quite a bit. Just seems like a nice guy and is entertaining. Although I feel he would be another Taylor Hicks if he won. Not sure I would buy a Danny Gokey album.
Adam is a dweeb. He's show tunes performer with a brooding stylist. Yuck.

I think Gokey has much more mass appeal. Raw talent, natural and entertaining. Very humble with a superb story. America like a guy like Gokey.

I dont think America is so down with a professionaly trained musical broadway nancy boys (metro) like Adam.

This is my opinion of course and ill likely be wrong since the teeny bops like axe deorderant models...

JaxRed
03-12-2009, 04:47 PM
CAW CAW

I know...... I assume she didn't tell anyone she was going to do that. I was so dumb.

BuckeyeRed27
03-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Adam is a dweeb. He's show tunes performer with a brooding stylist. Yuck.

I think Gokey has much more mass appeal. Raw talent, natural and entertaining. Very humble with a superb story. America like a guy like Gokey.

I dont think America is so down with a professionaly trained musical broadway nancy boys (metro) like Adam.

This is my opinion of course and ill likely be wrong since the teeny bops like axe deorderant models...

Wow I don't get that vibe from Adam at all. I mean I know that he has done musical theatre but I don't see a theatre style in his performance.

I would agree on the point that Gokey seems like a nicer guy and has a more professional "look". But this isn't a job interview. Adam looks, sounds and acts like someone that I think would be successful selling albums. I'm not sure Danny has that going for him.

Dom Heffner
03-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Wow I don't get that vibe from Adam at all. I mean I know that he has done musical theatre but I don't see a theatre style in his performance.

Even the judges have criticized him for being this way. It's a little over the top. A tall guy like that, in skinny jeans, marching around on stage looks prancy.

I'll give you the guy has a voice, and the Axl Rose comparison was spot on at times during his performance. But it screams dinner theater to me.

Danny Gokey, for me, is the bigger draw here, but I think Dial Idol had it Gokey/Lambert by a fairly close margin this past week.

Scott McIntrye is unbearable for me. That Michael Jackson song he picked out was awful, and the inspirational stuff never plays well with me for some reason. When he sang "Mandolin Rain," there were parts of the song where he sounded like he was mentally disabled. I went from being a fan of this guy to thinking he needs to be booted off right behind Anoop.

And the Alexis chick- why on earth would you sing a song like "Dirty Diana," which is written specifically for a male singer. If she wanted to do something naughty, she could have done "In the Closet" and switched around the gender specific lyrics.

The performance of the night for me was "Human Nature." I had forgotten about that song, and it sounded great with the piano.

macro
03-12-2009, 05:40 PM
CAW CAW

Really!! I can't believe no one had mentioned that yet, and I was surprised when Simon didn't mention it, either. I nearly fell off the couch when I heard her do that, and had to rewind and listen again just to make sure the wife and I heard what we thought we heard. I didn't realize "Rockin' Robin" was a song about crows!

:eek:

ochre
03-12-2009, 07:54 PM
No worries, all just opinions here. No right, no wrong.

I'm an old guy so a tatoo means something different to me than people of younger generations.
Just don't step on Roy's grass.

http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/review/2008/12/12/gran_torino/story.jpg

justincredible
03-12-2009, 08:59 PM

http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/review/2008/12/12/gran_torino/story.jpg

LOL!

TeamSelig
03-12-2009, 09:08 PM
I loved the Dirty Diana song by Alexis. She has some pipes on her.

macro
03-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Jimmy Kimmel gives the idols nicknames...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7cTRYOYlqE

Roy Tucker
03-12-2009, 11:20 PM

:usa:

;)

WebScorpion
03-13-2009, 03:54 PM
IMO, the person that wins is the person that can capitalize on their talents that work and get rid of the parts that don't. In past competitions, one or sometimes two or three contestants manage to steadily improve. They'll usually give a couple of performances toward the end that you just watch and go "Wow!" I've seen some good performances so far, but nothing to knock me out yet. Each of them seems to have the potential, but none has given their best performance yet. I guess that's what keeps me watching hideous things like that Rockin' Robin performance...heck, why didn't she pick 'ABC'? :rolleyes:

Roy Tucker
03-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Adam's rendition of "Ring of Fire" was one of the more bizarre things I've seen on that show.

Alexis ought to have the flu more often.

I thought Danny was horrible.

JaxRed
03-18-2009, 09:11 AM
I wonder if you meant Megan with the flu? Everyone here at work thought she was terrible again last night, but between the judges inexplicable love for her, the sympathy vote because of her cold, and the fact that "Vote for the Worst" has chosen her, I'm sure she'll stick around.

TeamSelig
03-18-2009, 09:13 AM
I thought the Ring of Fire song was pretty creepy.

smith288
03-18-2009, 10:13 AM
The Ring of Fire was the typical self indulgent crap. NIN wouldnt sing it like that. They would do it like they did Hurt (which oddly, Johnny Cash covered later).

That rendition of Ring of Fire was crap. I cant stand the guy and I hope he slipped up last night so I dont have to sit through him anymore.

Randy Travis said it all when he said nothing. He should have given the typical country saying "Bless his heart"...

Roy Tucker
03-18-2009, 10:46 AM
I think Adam is trying to go the Chris Daughtry/David Cook route and put his own supposed-personal stamp on the songs and do them "true to his self". Which usually means "go find someone who did an obscure alternative version of this song". Adam found the Rockstar Supernova version. It was a little interesting, but mostly creepy and icky and I really don't like the camera showing how big the pores are in his face.

And thanks Jax, I did mean Megan. I thought she was more warbly and odd last night which I thought was supposed to be her thing. I thought she was like Maria Muldaur and my daughter said she was like Corinne Bailey Rae. We both didn't know who the other was talking about.

TeamSelig
03-18-2009, 11:39 AM
I heard that Adam is openly homosexual and has pics of him on the internet kissing a bunch of guys. Heard it from a friend, who saw it on the news.

kaldaniels
03-18-2009, 11:58 AM
I think Adam is trying to go the Chris Daughtry/David Cook route and put his own supposed-personal stamp on the songs and do them "true to his self". Which usually means "go find someone who did an obscure alternative version of this song". Adam found the Rockstar Supernova version. It was a little interesting, but mostly creepy and icky and I really don't like the camera showing how big the pores are in his face.

And thanks Jax, I did mean Megan. I thought she was more warbly and odd last night which I thought was supposed to be her thing. I thought she was like Maria Muldaur and my daughter said she was like Corinne Bailey Rae. We both didn't know who the other was talking about.

I wish the judges would call that stuff out. Picking a country song, then doing the alternative version of it...cheating is the word that comes to mind although that may be a little harsh.

Matt G. looked and sounded like a pro last night...watch out for him.

IslandRed
03-18-2009, 12:38 PM
I wish the judges would call that stuff out. Picking a country song, then doing the alternative version of it...cheating is the word that comes to mind although that may be a little harsh.

"Indulgent rubbish" doesn't count? :cool:

BuckeyeRed27
03-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah Adam's song was just creepy. He's been one of my favorites so far but I was not into that one at all.

Agree above with Matt being my favorite last night. I also liked Anoop and Megan.

I think oil rig guy probably goes home.

jojo
03-18-2009, 12:55 PM
"Indulgent rubbish" doesn't count? :cool:

If all of the indulgent rubbish was eliminated from pop radio, we'd be left with endless loops of the Beatles discography.... :cool:

JaxRed
03-18-2009, 12:56 PM
My guess is that Adam won't win, but will be very close. He probbaly has a 30% core which may him top vote getter now, but as people drop out, their votes will probably go to a Danny and not him.

Danny Serafini
03-18-2009, 09:15 PM

I couldn't possibly disagree more. Adam will never, ever, ever in a million years put out a country album, so why should he have to get all achy-breaky up on stage? That's the biggest problem with these theme weeks, forcing people to do songs that are irrelevant to who they are as artists. They should just let them do their own thing and get out of the way.

jojo
03-18-2009, 11:05 PM
I couldn't possibly disagree more. Adam will never, ever, ever in a million years put out a country album, so why should he have to get all achy-breaky up on stage? That's the biggest problem with these theme weeks, forcing people to do songs that are irrelevant to who they are as artists. They should just let them do their own thing and get out of the way.

Anyone holding their breath for Barry Manilow week?

kaldaniels
03-19-2009, 12:25 AM

I understand your concern that you disagree with the format of the show...but when a contestant goes against format in such an obvious manner...I'd like to see the judges cut the contestants down to size a time or two when they so blatantly cut a corner. If it were industrial rock week (as if) , I don't want to hear the Johnny Cash-esque acoustic version of Hurt.

Argue against the theme week concept if you like, that is perfectly valid. I just wish if the show is going to parade out these "themes" that they would exercise creative control over the band/arrangement and ensure the performance fits the format.

Roy Tucker
03-19-2009, 08:14 AM
I thought that was cruel last night how they strung Alexis along with a hint of a reprieve and made her sing for her life.

So she sang her song just like she sang it the night before. I don't know what the judges were looking for besides contriving a little drama. There was no way they were going to shoot their one bullet over a minor talent #11 slot and I think they knew that. I call shenanigans.

And I'm OK with genre-stretching songs. It makes things interesting and its just entertainment. I certainly remember Adam's song (I kinda wish I didn't). I don't remember the bulk of the rest.

macro
03-19-2009, 09:12 AM
I thought that was cruel last night how they strung Alexis along with a hint of a reprieve and made her sing for her life.

So she sang her song just like she sang it the night before. I don't know what the judges were looking for besides contriving a little drama. There was no way they were going to shoot their one bullet over a minor talent #11 slot and I think they knew that. I call shenanigans.

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning. What they did to her wasn't unlike the ridicule they subject those people to in the audition rounds. And while this wasn't "ridicule", per se, but they took what was already going to be an unpleasant experience and made it all the more so for her with their charade. So much of this show is scripted, including their pretending to be giving her another chance.

Another thought was going through my mind last night as she sang that told me that there was no chance she was staying. They had already told ten contestants that they were definitely going on tour. So, what happens to that promise to those ten, if Alexis is allowed to stay another week? Would one of those ten have stood the chance of losing their spot? And if they go from 11 to 9 as they said they would if the "save" were used, who would then make up the Touring Ten?

Did the producers even think this through?

On the positive side, as much as I haven't really cared for Carrie Underwood over the years, it really seemed that her singing has gotten even better, and her stage presence has improved. It seemed to me that she's actually starting to feel comfortable in the role of "star". And that's what keeps me watching this show - the opportunity to observe a completely unknown teenager evolve into a superstar.

smith288
03-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Underwood is incredible. Travis actually sounded kind of bad next to her. My wife thinks im in love with her.

Roy Tucker
03-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Carrie sure sounded good last night. Not sure I like the housewife haircut though. She sure does support American Idol by coming back often and always saying nice things (unlike most of the rest of the winners).

Another Barry Larkin-Kurt Stilwell moment for Roy.... When it came down to Bo Bice vs. Carrie Underwood for the AI finals, I said "Bo Bice hands down, Carrie is too weak of a singer". So don't ever listen to anything I say in here.

smith288
03-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Adam Lambart

Star Spangled Banner mockery (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8lktc_adam-lambert-star-spangled-banner_fun)

Yea... This "dude" is never getting my vote after that mockery.

Yachtzee
03-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Adam Lambart

Star Spangled Banner mockery (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8lktc_adam-lambert-star-spangled-banner_fun)

Yea... This "dude" is never getting my vote after that mockery.

You actually vote? I can't stop thinking of that old cartoon "Lambert, the Sheepish Lion."

RedsFan75
03-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Anyone holding their breath for Barry Manilow week?

Actually, that might be kinda fun!!

smith288
03-19-2009, 11:37 AM
You actually vote? I can't stop thinking of that old cartoon "Lambert, the Sheepish Lion."

Actually, i have only partook once this year. If I could vote against someone, I would.

TeamSelig
03-20-2009, 08:17 AM
I still can't believe Allison was in the bottom 3. She is the best one IMO.

Dom Heffner
03-20-2009, 09:00 AM
I think Michael Sarver drops the value of the tour ticket by $20.

Redsfaithful
03-20-2009, 10:54 AM
I still can't believe Allison was in the bottom 3. She is the best one IMO.

Agreed, I feel like she's not getting the attention she really deserves.

TeamSelig
03-20-2009, 11:23 AM
I think they save her if she gets cut, but I don't understand why she isn't getting votes. Might be cause she is a bit on the weird/awkward side? Great singer though.

BuckeyeRed27
03-20-2009, 11:33 AM
I think they save her if she gets cut, but I don't understand why she isn't getting votes. Might be cause she is a bit on the weird/awkward side? Great singer though.

I can't figure that out either. I guess she might not be singing real memorable songs (thinking off the top of my head I can't think of what she sang the last two weeks), but I don't remember her being very solid.

smith288
03-20-2009, 11:40 AM
She is awkward. She is totally different when singing but when being interviewed she's a real yawner.

Mario-Rijo
03-20-2009, 06:10 PM
So much to comment on here.

#1 - I am with justincredible, Megan is both a sharp girl and a good but completely different singer. The tattoo would normally be offputting but I don't think it looks bad on her for some reason. Her voice reminds me of a twenties - thirties, voice kind of a Rum and Coca Cola vibe to it. Of course at times she gets carried away with a bit of a warble or something. The worse part about her is that little twist she does which is quite annoying/distracting.

#2 - I agree Lambert is a flake and Ring of Fire was the strangest most excruciating thing I've ever heard. Unfortunately he will be around for some time. But man is Paula in love with him, I guess it takes being drunk to appreciate him.

#3 - I don't agree with them being too tough on Alexis, and she didn't sing it as well on Wed. as she did on Tues. But it wasn't that great on Tues. either. However she has at times earlier sung much better than she had lately. However I do think they kept steering her wrong to be more "dirty/edgy".

#4 - Sarver stunk and I still haven't completely bought into the Blind guy who's name escapes me at the moment. He's a solid pianist and an ok singer but has no chance to win this, nor would he ever.

#5 - Allison is an outstanding singer and when she was singing to make the top 12 she sung Heart "Alone" and it was very good. Again like some others country isn't even close to her likely genre and her voice likely doesn't appeal to the voting generation.

#6 - I really didn't think Anoop had that type of performance in him, for him that was pretty awesome.

#7 _ I agree with whoever said they like Danny but probably wouldn't buy one of his albums. I might but it's pretty unlikely, but he is a pretty doggon good singer.

#8 - That lip sync that they all sung together to open Wed. night was offensive as all get out. I thought this was supposed to be live? I saw several of them flubbing up on mouthing the lyrics. It was a very Brady performance.

Dom Heffner
03-20-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm surprised nobody called Anoop out for singing the wrong lyrics on "Always on My Mind."

He sang, "Baby I didn't loved you..." and I believe it is "Maybe I didn't love you...."

Also- Seacrest mentioned something about Johnny Cash singing "Always on My Mind," but other than a duet with Willie for VH1 Storytellers, I'm not sure he ever recorded that song or was tied to a famous version of it.

Brenda Lee, Elvis, yes. Johnny Cash, I don't think so.

macro
03-21-2009, 02:48 AM
So much to comment on here.

#1 - I am with justincredible, Megan is both a sharp girl and a good but completely different singer. The tattoo would normally be offputting but I don't think it looks bad on her for some reason. Her voice reminds me of a twenties - thirties, voice kind of a Rum and Coca Cola vibe to it. Of course at times she gets carried away with a bit of a warble or something. The worse part about her is that little twist she does which is quite annoying/distracting.

The twist is VERY distracting, and she insists on doing it EVERY song. Is it a nervous twitch? I disagree about the tattoo. It's Carrie Underwood / Kristy Lee Cook with a sleeve tattoo, and it doesn't fit at all. She is currently the chosen one with VFTW, and I'm inclined to agree. I cannot wait to see her gone.

BuckeyeRed27
03-26-2009, 11:58 AM
I thought last night was pretty good overall. This is turning out to be a pretty good group.
I thought Adam made up for his creeptastic performance last week and was my favorite. I also really liked Matt and Allison.

Toss up between Sarver and Megan for the bottom spot.

macro
03-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Did anyone catch the part when Kara told one of the contestants "I have six words for you", and then spoke a sentence containing eight or nine words? I guess it's really true that there are three types of people in the world: those who know how to count and those who don't.

:laugh:

smith288
03-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Matt is now my front runner

Redsfaithful
03-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Megan is really growing on me, and she might actually be one of only a couple where I'd consider buying their album. I know she made mistakes last night, but she has a really interesting voice. I realize I'm probably alone here though. She might be the hottest finalist in the show's history also, not that that should matter I guess.

Sarver is terrible, Simon pretty much hit the nail on the head with the guy, he's got no shot, and never really had a shot. He probably shouldn't have made it to the top 12 at all. He should go tonight, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Megan.

cincrazy
03-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Did anyone catch the part when Kara told one of the contestants "I have six words for you", and then spoke a sentence containing eight or nine words? I guess it's really true that there are three types of people in the world: those who know how to count and those who don't.

I have 6 words for you! One of the best performances of the night!

Truly one of the few times anyone has out-dumbed Paula Abdul.

And yes, I just made up a new word. It's necessary here.

BuckeyeRed27
03-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Megan is really growing on me, and she might actually be one of only a couple where I'd consider buying their album. I know she made mistakes last night, but she has a really interesting voice. I realize I'm probably alone here though. She might be the hottest finalist in the show's history also, not that that should matter I guess.

Sarver is terrible, Simon pretty much hit the nail on the head with the guy, he's got no shot, and never really had a shot. He probably shouldn't have made it to the top 12 at all. He should go tonight, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Megan.

I think Megan has a really good Broadway voice. And I agree way way hot. Maybe not quite as hot as Kimberly Caldwell but its close.

Dom Heffner
03-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Dial idol has it as one of three leaving:

Spoiler Alert

The blind guy, Meghan, or Michael Sarver.

The next three weeks could go that way and I would be ecstatic.

Roy Tucker
03-26-2009, 05:41 PM
I'd be OK with any of them going. The last 4-5 is going to be tough though.

I must be in the minority. Adam's singing last night hurt my ears and I thought his falsetto was terrible. I think AI has already annointed him though.

Red in Chicago
03-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Despite watching the show every week, I still don't know any of their names, so I had to go to the website.

Here are the ones I like:
Adam (I've liked everything he's done so far)
Matt
Danny
Allison (Cute and what AI should be about)
Kris (He's HOT)

Here are the ones I like to watch, not necessarily listen to:
Lil
Megan (Without the tat, she goes to the "can't stand" list)

Here are the ones that I simply can't stand:
Anoop
Michael
Scott

smith288
03-27-2009, 09:34 AM
I cant stand:
Adam (the emo look is so 2005)
Scott (he sucks honestly)
Megan (Beautiful but her shimmy dance irks me)

Im rooting for:
Matt (smooth as silk)
Danny (good story, nice personality)
Allison (cute as a button, young and great talent)
Anoop (fot an Indian guy, he has a ton of soul and doesnt take himself so seriously)

The rest I dont care for

IslandRed
03-27-2009, 11:14 AM

Maybe Kara used to have a job as a typist or editor? When doing word count, you're not supposed to count "a," "and" or "the." So technically... :p:

This week's show was pretty good. Now that Sarver's gone, it'll be interesting because he was the last of the easy outs. Other than Danny or Adam, any of the others could wind up in the bottom three -- or out -- next week and it wouldn't totally surprise me.

JaxRed
03-27-2009, 11:52 AM
I still think there's two very easy outs with Matt and Meghan (who's benefiting from the "vote for the worst").

WebScorpion
03-27-2009, 03:04 PM

Her math is fine, it's her decisiveness that needs work. She was going to say "One of the best performances EVER!" and you could see her change her mind as she was saying it, "One of the best performances...ofthenight!"

WebScorpion
03-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Dial idol has it as one of three leaving:

Spoiler Alert

The blind guy, Meghan, or Michael Sarver.

The next three weeks could go that way and I would be ecstatic.
IMO, those are the 3 that aren't in the same class with the others. I think Sarver could have done better with better song selection, but he's just not as versatile as the others. For example, I thought he had it made on Country Night, but he picked a song that was absolutely not his style. He could have blown the judges away with a heartfelt country ballad, instead he comes out trying to sing a fast paced tongue twister of a song and slurs half the words, not to mention plodding around the stage trying to look perky. :rolleyes:

Smokey Robinson cracks me up...he couldn't say a mean thing to someone even if their voice sent him into convulsions. He'd be like, "Oh, that was different and kind of refreshing." :lol:

The change in Adam's appearance was a shocker. I wonder if that will hurt him with his core supporters...it certainly changed my opinion of him. That 'Ring Of Fire' performance last week was godawful, then he sings Smokey Robinson like he's channeling him. Personally, I don't like Adam much, but I do think he has a lot of talent.
:thumbup:

Jpup
03-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Danny should win IMO. He's a great singer. I like Matt and Kris as well. Adam is a good singer, but I don't care for him much. I have been pretty spot on picking everything so far so I'll say that the blind fellow goes home this week. He's very talented and has been great for the show, but his vocals aren't up to snuff.

Red in Chicago
03-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Adam, Danny, Allison and Kris were the only ones worth listening to tonight. I think Kris was the best.

On a different topic, the Osbourne show was unwatchable. I give it two more weeks..tops:thumbdown

Slyder
03-31-2009, 10:50 PM
Actually watched Idol this week and been hearing about it from friends. Anyone else think that the judges might think that Adam and Allison are more "marketable" to a wider spectrum and getting some additional love from the judges to try and pad totals so they last longer? Not saying either arent any good just style-wise they seem to reach the teen rock types better than Danny might. Just my two cents.

Next Gone: Hopefully Anoop. Scott to me did better than Anoop or that first girl that went.

smith288
04-01-2009, 12:55 AM
Scott sucks. EOM

AtomicDumpling
04-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Adam, Danny, Allison and Kris were the only ones worth listening to tonight. I think Kris was the best.

On a different topic, the Osbourne show was unwatchable. I give it two more weeks..tops:thumbdown

I thought Allison, Chris and Danny were the best. I hope Allison wins the title, but I doubt she will. Chris has really gotten better every week and has won me over as a fan. Danny is good but he annoys me.

Adam Lambert is a huge farce in my opinion. He would fit perfectly in a musical lampoon like Spinal Tap or the Rocky Horror Picture Show. The guy is an over-the-top parody of the music industry. I can't believe anybody, ANYBODY would buy a record of his. He is a joke. If his life were made into a biographical movie he would be portrayed by Ben Stiller or Will Ferrell.

smith288
04-01-2009, 01:20 AM
I thought Allison, Chris and Danny were the best. I hope Allison wins the title, but I doubt she will. Chris has really gotten better every week and has won me over as a fan. Danny is good but he annoys me.

Adam Lambert is a huge farce in my opinion. He would fit perfectly in a musical lampoon like Spinal Tap or the Rocky Horror Picture Show. The guy is an over-the-top parody of the music industry. I can't believe anybody, ANYBODY would buy a record of his. He is a joke. If his life were made into a biographical movie he would be portrayed by Ben Stiller or Will Ferrell.
And I thought I was the #1 hater of Adam Lambart

Dom Heffner
04-01-2009, 06:40 AM
Here's how Dial idol sees it:

Danny, Chris, Adam, and Lil Rounds are safe.

The bottom 5 are: Scott, Matt, Anoop, Allison, and Meghan.

I will do a little dance if Meghan goes home tonight. That vocal style has gotten old with me.

HotCorner
04-01-2009, 08:45 AM
I know I'm going old school but does Kris Allen remind anyone else of Corey Haim?

HotCorner
04-01-2009, 08:46 AM

Fox19 in Cincinnati choose not to air it. Sounds like a good choice.

Jpup
04-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Kris is doing a great job. As of now, I am putting him slightly ahead of Danny for the win. I don't understand why there are down on Matt. He's good. Lil Rounds and Anoop Dawg need to go home.

MWM
04-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Wasn't feeling well last night and decided to watch for the first time this season. Good lord, it was attrocious. I thought the last two guys were good, and the one second to last guy was really good, but pretty much everyone else was awful.

IslandRed
04-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Here's how Dial idol sees it:

Danny, Chris, Adam, and Lil Rounds are safe.

The bottom 5 are: Scott, Matt, Anoop, Allison, and Meghan.

That's also a pretty accurate breakout of who has a real chance to make the finals and who doesn't. Lil hasn't been at that level the last couple of weeks but she's got it in her if she rediscovers her spunk.

Not sure who'll go tonight. Megan should, but she might not, and I don't really care in which order the non-contenders drop out anyway.

kaldaniels
04-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Kris is doing a great job. As of now, I am putting him slightly ahead of Danny for the win. I don't understand why there are down on Matt. He's good. Lil Rounds and Anoop Dawg need to go home.

Matt's of the the few on there that I see as being a unique talent. And on a musician ("artistry") level, he's gotta be one of the top three (I'm not talking vocals).

I was just troubled how they could be so down on him last night, but they were lukewarm on Anoop and raving over Scott. I was just puzzled by that.

Dom Heffner
04-01-2009, 12:20 PM
I was just troubled how they could be so down on him last night, but they were lukewarm on Anoop and raving over Scott. I was just puzzled by that.

Scott's praise was about low expectations. He was so bad the past few weeks, last night looked awesome. He's really not that good.

Anoop is better suited for adult contemporary, and he keeps up the R&B crap. It'll cost him.

RedsFan75
04-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Ok, so I missed it last night, but I agree with whomever called Adam a farce, I just can't believe how much hype/support he's getting.

However since I missed last night, what travesty did Adam foist upon the listening public this week?

kaldaniels
04-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Ok, so I missed it last night, but I agree with whomever called Adam a farce, I just can't believe how much hype/support he's getting.

However since I missed last night, what travesty did Adam foist upon the listening public this week?

Someone want to tell him...I can't bring myself to type it. :D

BuckeyeRed27
04-01-2009, 01:24 PM

He did "Play That Funky Music". It was....interesting.

Only real surprise last night was how hard they were on Matt. I love that song and thought he did a good job on it. I thought the suggestions on other songs he could have done were probably right, but that's not to say that what he sung was bad.

Megan has now been bad 3 weeks in a row and on top of that didn't even look hot last night.

Really liked Danny last night and he might have a future on the country side of things. That's the only way I see him being successful post Idol.

smith288
04-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Matt didnt have a good night and Randy was right. He needed to do something like Apologize (not the stupid ripoff "featuring" One Republic) but the real one without mixes).

One Republic is basically Matt's wheelhouse and he passed on it like Adam Dunn for the strike out.

JaxRed
04-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Scott's praise was about low expectations. He was so bad the past few weeks, last night looked awesome. He's really not that good.

Anoop is better suited for adult contemporary, and he keeps up the R&B crap. It'll cost him.

Agreed, just like Micheal should have been doing country.

smith288
04-01-2009, 03:10 PM
He did. Garth Brook only it does nothing for him. Dont sing a tongue twister of a song when you are in a competition that is supposed to show how well you can sing.

JaxRed
04-01-2009, 03:14 PM
He did. Garth Brook only it does nothing for him. Dont sing a tongue twister of a song when you are in a competition that is supposed to show how well you can sing.

The only time he sang country was during country week. That should have been his niche all along. And I agree that was a crappy song to do.

Roy Tucker
04-01-2009, 05:53 PM
I used to think the judges were pretty fair. But this season they seem to be blatant as to who they like and who they don't like regardless of that night's performance.

smith288
04-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Again... Scott sucks. Being blind doesnt always make one a better singer. And what's with the coiffed hair?? Sure he cant see it but the AI stylists can see and he looks like a weirdo.

Oh...Adam sucks too...

Mario-Rijo
04-02-2009, 02:03 AM
I hate to say it but Megan did suck. I actually have thought her voice was kinda cool in a different kind of way but last night it just seemed to get old real quick. Her song choices are refreshing from a certain standpoint but they ultimately suck because she is singing them and doing that stupid little twist. Plus like someone said she didn't even look as hot as normal.

I disagree with whoever it was that said Lil should go home, she has the chops and if she picks and stays with the right genre she can be a good artist after AI.

Adam for as much as I despise him blew me away last week, thought it was really quite good. This week he reminded again me why I don't like him. As Simon would normally say "indulgent rubbish".

Allison I thought did really well but they were ridiculously hard on her fashion, maybe they were right but come on it is a singing contest mainly let's try to focus on that a tad more.

I agree with Dom on Scott, he did better than usual which made him appear a bit better than he is. I think he is an ok singer but not a major selling artist, maybe a good solid lounge singer. I do agree his hair is awfully destracting (it's awful) and AI needs to help him out there.

Chris did pretty well again, as did Danny.

I kind of agreed with the judges on Matt, he does those pop rock songs ok but it's not his niche IMO. But I have begun to believe he is more an artist than most of them. I just think he needs to stick to R&Bish type stuff for the most part.

JaxRed
04-02-2009, 10:21 AM
I suspect if the judges/Idol management could re-do things they would save Alexis Grace and get her on the tour instead of Megan. I could see them giving her a "settlement" so she could stay home with her daughter and taking Alexis on the tour.

RedsFan75
04-02-2009, 11:21 AM
I still can't believe all the hype over Adam!

macro
04-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Was Megan drunk last night? She certainly acted like it, both throughout the show and during her final song. I know she's been flaky all along, but she was over-the-top last night. It seemed much more obvious when she sang the song, though.

The bird-wing-flapping thing was supposed to be self-deprecating humor, but it just added to her weirdness, IMO.

bounty37h
04-02-2009, 12:10 PM
I think the arm flappin thing was catching herself starting to throw her arms up and do something even crazier, caught herself, adn decided to make a joke of it/herself instead. SHe tried her hardest to act it didnt bother her, but it obviously did. Glad to see my hometown boy Anoop Dogg still in it-esp after a not-so-great performance. I am also embarrssed I not only watched AI, but am posting on it-only doing it for Noop!

Dom Heffner
04-02-2009, 12:57 PM
I think the arm flappin thing was catching herself starting to throw her arms up and do something even crazier, caught herself

I thought it was a reference to her "Caw-caw" thing when she sang "Rockin' Robin."

The 16 year old flapped her arms as Megan went off to sing and did the cawing thing, I believe.

Yachtzee
04-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I thought it was a reference to her "Caw-caw" thing when she sang "Rockin' Robin."

The 16 year old flapped her arms as Megan went off to sing and did the cawing thing, I believe.

I figured they were referencing her "Rockin' Robin" performance. It might also be a shout-out to the folks on Vote For The Worst, who really took to her after that show. When the judges questioned her song choice, if she had said "I was thinking 'Bob Marley. . . ,'" then we'd really know she's been paying attention to that site.

BRM
04-02-2009, 03:03 PM
I figured they were referencing her "Rockin' Robin" performance. It might also be a shout-out to the folks on Vote For The Worst, who really took to her after that show. When the judges questioned her song choice, if she had said "I was thinking 'Bob Marley. . . ,'" then we'd really know she's been paying attention to that site.

Who do you think will be the next contestant Vote For The Worst will push? Scott? Anoop?

Mario-Rijo
04-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Who do you think will be the next contestant Vote For The Worst will push? Scott? Anoop?

Didn't seem to work for Megan....

But my vote is for either of the above for sure, the others at least have pretty strong voices even if they don't all sound pleasing to me personally (Lambert).

WebScorpion
04-02-2009, 04:20 PM
It amazes me how out of touch these people seem to be with their own strengths and weaknesses. We had the obviously country guy who only did one country song and he picks the tongue twister. :rolleyes: then we've got Matt who is really strong when he does R&B stuff trying to do modern rock. Meghan ...who knows what she can do well? At this point, I think Rockin' Robin was her strong point. Anoop sucks at R&B but continues to try to force it. My favorite was after they unanimously told him it was a bad song choice, he stands there and defiantly says, "I want to be an R&B star." :lol: Adam was incredible on Motown night, yet he goes right back to total weirdness...I'm having bad 'Ring of Fire' flashbacks with sitar accompaniment. :barf: Like baseball, all the tools in the world won't matter if you can't make the adjustments and play to your own strengths.

IslandRed
04-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Good point. What the judges usually hammer as "song choice" comes down to "identity." Most contestants have never attempted to make music a career; they try anything and everything because experience hasn't taught them what works and what doesn't. So they sing what they like or what they think the judges want to hear. Danny is the guy who's consistently gotten it from day one and that's why he's a favorite.

In one respect, I think Adam knows exactly what he's doing. He's a theater guy; he's putting on performances that are memorable whether we like them or don't. I'm not sure what kind of recording artist he'd be, though, and that's going to come up when the weaker singers are gone. (Simon will invoke the word "cabaret" at some point, bet on it.)

I disagree about Michael Sarver being a country guy. Oil rig or no oil rig, he didn't sound country at all when he sang. Not that that's necessarily required anymore...

Yachtzee
04-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Good point. What the judges usually hammer as "song choice" comes down to "identity." Most contestants have never attempted to make music a career; they try anything and everything because experience hasn't taught them what works and what doesn't. So they sing what they like or what they think the judges want to hear. Danny is the guy who's consistently gotten it from day one and that's why he's a favorite.

In one respect, I think Adam knows exactly what he's doing. He's a theater guy; he's putting on performances that are memorable whether we like them or don't. I'm not sure what kind of recording artist he'd be, though, and that's going to come up when the weaker singers are gone. (Simon will invoke the word "cabaret" at some point, bet on it.)

I disagree about Michael Sarver being a country guy. Oil rig or no oil rig, he didn't sound country at all when he sang. Not that that's necessarily required anymore...

Part of the problem is that the show is formatted around "theme" nights. So whether you want to be country or not, you're going to have to do a country song, and a Motown song, and then there are the special guest nights where you have to pick a song by that artist. Then there's the problem that the song choice isn't always theirs. They are asked to list 3 or 4 choices and it's often the producers who decide what they will sing. Part of what helped David Cook and Archuleta last season was that Cook had the musical knowledge and internet savvy to find arrangements for songs that fit with his "style" whereas Archuleta had his "handlers" to help him with song choice. I think some of the other contestants are kind of left to their own devices and just end up picking songs they like. Out of this season, I think Gokey's musical background probably helps because he probably has a broad range of knowledge that some of the others may not have.

jojo
04-03-2009, 07:49 AM
To me the biggest flaw that AI has is that while most of the contestants have good voices at this stage of the competition it's rare that any actually have something to say with them.

IMHO, Adam comes closest to having something to say this year though it's probably a fair criticism that some of his performances have been self indulgent. But then again, the format encourages showing off the vocal chops and junking up the melody by jamming in as many runs as possible.

Lil is the dark horse though. Her vocals are exceptional and if she can manage to find her voice (i.e. rather than just impress us with the fact that she can hit a high note, use her vocals in a way that evokes emotion/makes the lyrics take on life) in the next couple weeks and connect with the audience, she can instantly overtake Adam who is probably being overexposed as the de facto front runner at this point.

If Lil can pull off a moment like the classic rendention of the National Anthem by Whitney Houstan (that probably made your eyes well up a bit with tears), then it's on baby.

IslandRed
04-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Part of the problem is that the show is formatted around "theme" nights. So whether you want to be country or not, you're going to have to do a country song, and a Motown song, and then there are the special guest nights where you have to pick a song by that artist.

That's a good point, but I think it all helps separate the people with some musical creativity/artistry from those who are basically just good karaoke singers, and that's a good thing in my opinion.

Dom Heffner
04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Part of the problem is that the show is formatted around "theme" nights.

For me, this represents no problem at all, becuase the singers are allowed to sing a different style than the theme presented that night. The themes allow for the show to have a cohesive feel, but they aren't meant so that everyone sings in the style of the theme.

Every song can be jazz, country, rock, metal- you just change the instrumentation while leaving a recognizable melody intact.

It's all about singing in the style that fits you. If you are an R&B singer on country night, sing a country song in an R&B style. It isn't rocket science.

Jpup
04-05-2009, 07:59 AM
To me the biggest flaw that AI has is that while most of the contestants have good voices at this stage of the competition it's rare that any actually have something to say with them.

IMHO, Adam comes closest to having something to say this year though it's probably a fair criticism that some of his performances have been self indulgent. But then again, the format encourages showing off the vocal chops and junking up the melody by jamming in as many runs as possible.

Lil is the dark horse though. Her vocals are exceptional and if she can manage to find her voice (i.e. rather than just impress us with the fact that she can hit a high note, use her vocals in a way that evokes emotion/makes the lyrics take on life) in the next couple weeks and connect with the audience, she can instantly overtake Adam who is probably being overexposed as the de facto front runner at this point.

If Lil can pull off a moment like the classic rendention of the National Anthem by Whitney Houstan (that probably made your eyes well up a bit with tears), then it's on baby.

I would have thought that Gokey is clearly the front runner.

BRM
04-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Someone just sent me the video clip of Adam Lambert's song last night. The judges gave him a standing ovation for that? :confused: I really don't get the fascination for this guy AT ALL. Incredible.

Tommyjohn25
04-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Someone just sent me the video clip of Adam Lambert's song last night. The judges gave him a standing ovation for that? :confused: I really don't get the fascination for this guy AT ALL. Incredible.

Personally, I don't get the hate for him. Do I particularly like his style of music? No. The guy can sing though, and his range is RIDICULOUS. I'm a singer myself, and there haven't been a whole lot of contestants in the history of the show where I will sit there and say, "how in the world did he just hit that note"? Just my opinion of course, but I think the guy is extremely talented, and I think he easily wins the season.

BRM
04-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Personally, I don't get the hate for him. Do I particularly like his style of music? No. The guy can sing though, and his range is RIDICULOUS. I'm a singer myself, and there haven't been a whole lot of contestants in the history of the show where I will sit there and say, "how in the world did he just hit that note"? Just my opinion of course, but I think the guy is extremely talented, and I think he easily wins the season.

Well, I never used the word hate. I don't "hate" anyone....well other than the show itself. To each their own I guess. Obviously lots of people do like the guy because he's still on the show.

Tommyjohn25
04-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah, my apologies. I wasn't really directing the term "hate" to you per se. Just kind of the general feeling I get for him in most discussions about idol.

smith288
04-08-2009, 10:33 AM
He's talented no doubt. His style and personality irk me to no end. And for that, I don't like the guy.

His trashing of the National Anthem also doesnt help my opinion of him (look on youtube)

Matt did a terrific job last night as well as Allison and Gokey. Those three are pretty current and not indulgent like I think Adam is.

He's just too "show tuney" for me.

Tommyjohn25
04-08-2009, 10:41 AM
He's talented no doubt. His style and personality irk me to no end. And for that, I don't like the guy.

His trashing of the National Anthem also doesnt help my opinion of him (look on youtube)

Matt did a terrific job last night as well as Allison and Gokey. Those three are pretty current and not indulgent like I think Adam is.

He's just too "show tuney" for me.

Yep. You nailed my three other favorites on the head. Allison, Danny, and Matt. My girl loves Kris, who I think is okay. Though it seems he may be in trouble tonight.

BRM
04-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Yeah, my apologies. I wasn't really directing the term "hate" to you per se. Just kind of the general feeling I get for him in most discussions about idol.

No problem. My wife watches the show every week and she can't stand him. The judges constant fawning over him drives her nuts. She thinks that may end up being his downfall. People will get tired of the judges blatantly obvious pushing of him to the final. Danny is her favorite by the way.

JaxRed
04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
If Chris is voted off tonight, I think judges will use the save.

BuckeyeRed27
04-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Matt was the easily the best last night. I also really liked Allison and hope she can get some votes going. Very odd personality it seems but I do love her voice. Also loved Adam last night.

I usually like Danny but I thought he was beyond terrible last night. That sounded like a cruise ship song. Terrible. I also did not like Chris for pretty much the same reason. I've had enough of Lil. The judges comments on her were spot on.

That being said I think Scott should go home. I don't think his performance was the worst last night but he is clearly the least talented left.

Tommyjohn25
04-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Agreed on Scott. Likeable guy, but he no longer measures up to the rest. Dialidol has Kris going tonight. I hope they're wrong, though they often are not.

BRM
04-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Dialidol has Kris going tonight. I hope they're wrong, though they often are not.

Well, everyone except Adam is listed as "in danger of being voted off" due to the margin of error putting the other 7 so close to each other. Kris, Anoop and Scott are their bottom 3 FWIW though.

Tommyjohn25
04-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Well, everyone except Adam is listed as "in danger of being voted off" due to the margin of error putting the other 7 so close to each other. Kris, Anoop and Scott are their bottom 3 FWIW though.

Very true. Could be an interesting night with a surprise elimination. We could potentially see our first "judges save" if that's the case.

marcshoe
04-08-2009, 11:53 AM
I thought Adam was fantastic last night, and that Matt and Alison were very good. Other than that, they can all go home as far as I'm concerned (based on last night). I thought Kris was by far the worst, and don't think he's deserving of a save. I hope the judges save it for when Alison is voted off prematurely, which I think will happen.

macro
04-08-2009, 12:03 PM
I've got to rant for a moment.

Has anyone noticed that the judges hee-haw around forever while giving their early critiques, then start running short on time and have to rush through the last two or three contestants? Does no one on that set not have a clock with which to keep things on pace?

We always DVR every show we watch, and the DVR will only record up to the point where the time slot is scheduled to end (unless you override the default setting). Last night's show ran over, so we missed the last act. Not that I minded to miss Adam, mind you, but that's beside the point. They don't always run over, but they do end up rushing through the last part of the show every week.

I can set the DVR to record longer, so I'll start doing that, but it's still not fair to the last contestants to have their air-time rushed through because Paula has trouble forming cohesive sentences or because of clowning around earlier in the show.

Roy Tucker
04-08-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't hate Adam, but he does give me the creeps. Very good singer with tons of range, though. Just not my cup of tea. He seems already annointed by the judges. He also seems a lot more professional and experienced than the rest.

Kris has been my daughter's heartthrob. I better get her prepared.

Agree with macro's comments about the judges. Move it along folks. Simon getting booed and Paula babbling all over top of his comments drive me nuts as well.

Dom Heffner
04-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Has anyone noticed that the judges hee-haw around forever while giving their early critiques, then start running short on time and have to rush through the last two or three contestants? Does no one on that set not have a clock with which to keep things on pace?

Or just let the show run long. If they were playing golf, nobody would say a word.

BuckeyeRed27
04-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Lucky for me I had Fringe on my DVR so I got the run over, but they have had problems this year bringing it in on time.

REDblooded
04-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Agreed on Scott. Likeable guy, but he no longer measures up to the rest. Dialidol has Kris going tonight. I hope they're wrong, though they often are not.

He's not even likeable... Unless you just like him for his disability. He comes off as being smug and pretentious.... As far as his talent goes... His range is awful, and he goes flat over and over again.

REDblooded
04-08-2009, 01:36 PM
As far as Adam goes... I don't get why people don't like him... I mean, he is a bit arrogant and aloof, but he's in a completely different league than the rest of the show. He will be the only person off of this years show still relevant in 5 years.

Red in Chicago
04-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Adam was great last night. Danny and Matt were ok. Allison was in between the three. Everyone else needs to go home...especially Scott...horrible!!

AtomicDumpling
04-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Adam Lambert will be the downfall of American Idol. Seriously. If the show has gotten so out of touch with the real music world that they can pimp this pretender for the crown then the show just needs to go away.

I think he is awful. I don't consider a falsetto squeal as successfully hitting a high note. His voice is irritating and screechy. His ridiculous costumes and posing are like a comedy act. He is just a bad actor playing the role of a singer. He makes a joke of the whole show in my opinion.

He would fit perfectly in the cast of the Rocky Horror Picture Show or Spinal Tap or some other campy spoof of the music scene.
:bang: :bash: :all_cohol

Redsfaithful
04-08-2009, 05:23 PM
I love the Gary Jules version of Mad World, which was why I found Lambert's version pretty irritating. All the falsettos and preening were really out of place for that song. Guy is talented and I think he's either the winner or runner up, but I just am not a fan.

Lil is really mystifying, not sure I've seen another contestant make such bad song choices. She really did come off as a bad impersonator last night.

Still like Allison the best, Scott should go home tonight, if it's Kris I wouldn't be surprised to see them use the save because he is pretty marketable. Fits right in to the Jason Mraz mold.

AtomicDumpling
04-08-2009, 05:33 PM
I love the Gary Jules version of Mad World, which was why I found Lambert's version pretty irritating. All the falsettos and preening were really out of place for that song. Guy is talented and I think he's either the winner or runner up, but I just am not a fan.

Lil is really mystifying, not sure I've seen another contestant make such bad song choices. She really did come off as a bad impersonator last night.

Still like Allison the best, Scott should go home tonight, if it's Kris I wouldn't be surprised to see them use the save because he is pretty marketable. Fits right in to the Jason Mraz mold.

I agree that Allison and Kris are the two contestants with the most potential to hit the big time. Allison has a great raw voice and could really hit the charts with the right handlers. She is more of a rocker and might fit better in a group act like early Heart or maybe she could emulate someone like Pat Benatar or even Fergie.

Kris has the looks, the voice and the talent to pump out a few hits for the teenage crowd.

Adam will end up on Broadway playing goofball roles in musical spoofs like Clay Aiken does now.

Danny will end up in the gospel aisle.

Scott should stick to the Bruce Hornsby or Billy Joel prototype.

Dom Heffner
04-08-2009, 05:34 PM
He's (Scott) not even likeable... Unless you just like him for his disability. He comes off as being smug and pretentious.... As far as his talent goes... His range is awful, and he goes flat over and over again.

I've been saying this forever. He can't sing. He sounds like his disability is his voice- he has some serious issues in his singing- so bad that I'll bet James Peterik and Frankie Sullivan were on the phone with each other after his performance crying about how he butchered their song.

And how, how, do you listen to "The Search is Over" and say, "I think I should play a guitar with this track...."

??????

It's a piano ballad- an instrument that, you know, he won't let anyone forget that he happens to play- and then he pulls out...a...a...guitar??????? Oh yeah, that song is really known for its guitar playing.

What an idiot.

And then have the nerve to ramble something about being versatile. Nobody is voting for you because you can play piano and guitar and drums or anything like that. They want to hear singing, and frankly, this guy is awful. As if people are sitting at home going, "Oh, wow, Scott sings bad AND plays the guitar okay."

The sympathy ride needs to come to an end.

When he sang "Mandolin Rain," I turned to my wife and said, "I knew he was blind, I didn't know he was tone deaf, too."

smith288
04-13-2009, 12:07 AM
I've been saying this forever. He can't sing. He sounds like his disability is his voice- he has some serious issues in his singing- so bad that I'll bet James Peterik and Frankie Sullivan were on the phone with each other after his performance crying about how he butchered their song.

And how, how, do you listen to "The Search is Over" and say, "I think I should play a guitar with this track...."

??????

It's a piano ballad- an instrument that, you know, he won't let anyone forget that he happens to play- and then he pulls out...a...a...guitar??????? Oh yeah, that song is really known for its guitar playing.

What an idiot.

And then have the nerve to ramble something about being versatile. Nobody is voting for you because you can play piano and guitar and drums or anything like that. They want to hear singing, and frankly, this guy is awful. As if people are sitting at home going, "Oh, wow, Scott sings bad AND plays the guitar okay."

The sympathy ride needs to come to an end.

When he sang "Mandolin Rain," I turned to my wife and said, "I knew he was blind, I didn't know he was tone deaf, too."
I agree with you on Scott. I know he was blind but does that explain his socially ineptitude? Some of the cut footage made me think he was near mentally disabled too.

Redsfaithful
04-13-2009, 04:53 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if he's got Asperger's or is somewhere on the autistic spectrum.

Redhook
04-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Thought Allison was not good tonight.
Thought Anoop was great.
Thought Adam was annoying.
Thought Matt was was so-so (not a fan of that song...at all).
Thought Gokey picked a really boring song.
Thought Kris was decent.
Thought Lil was average.

Terrible night, IMO. A bunch of bad songs sung pretty poorly.

smith288
04-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Thought Allison was not good tonight.
Thought Anoop was great.
Thought Adam was annoying.
Thought Matt was was so-so (not a fan of that song...at all).
Thought Gokey picked a really boring song.
Thought Kris was decent.
Thought Lil was average.

Terrible night, IMO. A bunch of bad songs sung pretty poorly.
pretty much agree on all points

JaxRed
04-15-2009, 12:42 AM
Allison was solid. She's never as good as judges say but should be ok.
Anoop very very good, however we're almost at the point where it doesn't take much to be in the bottom 3, and he's never been a big vote getter
Adam was crazy/great again and will be top vote getter on Dial Idol
Matt was not good, and since he's never been a big vote getter he'll be in bottom 3
Gokey started shaky but the performance got better and better and ended up solid. He'll be safe.
Kris was good but picked an unknown song with no melody and could be in bottom 3
Lil was horrific - There's off-key and there's screeching. She's done both, but until tonight, has never done them both throughout the entire song. She's been strong in votes but she will probably be in bottom 3 and may very well be gone.

My bottom 3: Lil, Matt and one of Kris/Anoop

AtomicDumpling
04-15-2009, 01:34 AM
Adam Lambert will be the downfall of American Idol. Seriously. If the show has gotten so out of touch with the real music world that they can pimp this pretender for the crown then the show just needs to go away.

I think he is awful. I don't consider a falsetto squeal as successfully hitting a high note. His voice is irritating and screechy. His ridiculous costumes and posing are like a comedy act. He is just a bad actor playing the role of a singer. He makes a joke of the whole show in my opinion.

He would fit perfectly in the cast of the Rocky Horror Picture Show or Spinal Tap or some other campy spoof of the music scene.
:bang: :bash: :all_cohol

I hate to quote myself, but I thought it was hilarious when Simon said the exact same thing on tonight's show. :beerme:

macro
04-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Danny is the only one that DialIdol will declare as safe. All the others are too close to call. Amazingly, Lil is listed as the second vote-getter, and Allison is likely bottom three once again. I really thought that Lil would go home this week, but apparently not.

ochre
04-15-2009, 10:18 AM
lililililil is the vftw choice.

BuckeyeRed27
04-15-2009, 12:40 PM
I believe they will use the "judge's save" tonight no matter what. They only have 2 weeks to use it.

Lil was hands down the worst last night.
My favs were the second half of Allison, Adam and Anoop. But I didn't really love any of those.

Pretty average night. Some good vocals but not great songs.

Roy Tucker
04-15-2009, 01:03 PM
I believe they will use the "judge's save" tonight no matter what. They only have 2 weeks to use it.

Interesting comment.

I'd think if Adam, Danny, and maybe Allison get voted out and the judges still have the save, they'd pull the trigger.

Anoop, Matt, and Kris are a maybe, but I don't think they are deemed save-worthy.

Lil hasn't pulled it together down the stretch and I think in particular Simon won't go for it.

Redhook
04-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Matt gets the least amount of votes, but is saved by the judges. Two go next week on disco night.

I'm actually surprised Matt was low this week. I actually think he's very, very good. He did pick a bad song this week, but overall he's been great. He might be my favorite singer of the bunch.

Red in Chicago
04-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Matt was not worth a save. At least they're getting rid of two next week. Lil, Matt and Anoop will not make it past the next two weeks.

IslandRed
04-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Matt was not worth a save. At least they're getting rid of two next week. Lil, Matt and Anoop will not make it past the next two weeks.

I don't think he was worth it either, but according to the rules BuckeyeRed27 mentioned, they had to use it either this week or next. Might as well manufacture some drama, because otherwise next week wouldn't have much.

BuckeyeRed27
04-16-2009, 01:14 PM

I agree those three are the next out...just depends on the order. Like I said before I don't think it mattered who was on the bottom last night they were going to save them. The only way this comes back to bite them is if Allison or Kris have a horrible week and get voted out next week. I could say that same about Adam or Danny, but honestly I just don't see that happening.

smith288
04-16-2009, 05:11 PM
I wish Adam would just go away to broadway or whatever because I cant take much more of his Axel Rose impressions much longer.

BuckeyeRed27
04-22-2009, 11:32 AM
I thought for disco night it was pretty good since this week is usually terrible.

My favorites were Adam and Chris.
I thought Allison, Matt and Danny were allright.
Anoop I didn't like and Lil was terrible.

No idea who will go home though.

REDblooded
04-22-2009, 11:42 AM
I wish Adam would just go away to broadway or whatever because I cant take much more of his Axel Rose impressions much longer.

You're in the minority... Adam is the ONLY person on that show that can take any genre and make it interesting. His vocal range and control are extraordinary, and since losing the smug bit, he's much more likeable... He'll win.

smith288
04-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Being in the minority doesnt make me wrong.

He's more smug each week. His falsetto's are ok technically but WAY overdone. I dont care if he has range on EVERY song. It's annoying. I keep saying it, he sounds like a more technical Axel Rose. Whoopy.

Redsfaithful
04-22-2009, 01:03 PM
You're in the minority... Adam is the ONLY person on that show that can take any genre and make it interesting. His vocal range and control are extraordinary, and since losing the smug bit, he's much more likeable... He'll win.

Anecdotal, but I actually think people are pretty split on Adam, I know quite a few people that love him, and quite a few people who hate him. He really irritates a lot of people, including me. But I do think you're right, he probably wins, at which point we'll hear from him about as often as we hear from Clay Aiken these days. Meaning never, unless you hit up Broadway for a show.

Kris and Allison might have careers after this, but I think this has been a pretty bland group in general.

joshnky
04-22-2009, 02:12 PM
DialIdol is saying its too close to call on all seven contestants although they do have Kris and Allison at the bottom. They had some issues with Lil Rounds that may have skewed her voting, in fact the initial results picked her at the top.

Regardless, it will be a major disappointment if Kris and Allison go home tonight. I doubt either one will win but they're two of the more enjoyable singers in this competition.

macro
04-22-2009, 02:43 PM
DialIdol is saying its too close to call on all seven contestants although they do have Kris and Allison at the bottom. They had some issues with Lil Rounds that may have skewed her voting, in fact the initial results picked her at the top.

Regardless, it will be a major disappointment if Kris and Allison go home tonight. I doubt either one will win but they're two of the more enjoyable singers in this competition.

If DialIdol is correct, that's screwed up. I know that Lil is the new selection of "Vote For The Worst", but I can't believe they could skew the voting that much. She is by far the worst contestant left. And having Allison and Kris at the bottom is equally surprising.

My votes for who "should" go home tonight would be Anoop and Lil.

TeamSelig
04-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Count me in the group that hates Adam.

Redhook
04-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Count me in the group that hates Adam.

Yeah, he's pretty annoying. He has some good moments but he really doesn't do it for me. I couldn't imagine listening to him for 45-60 minutes on an album. I'd want to rip my ears off after a couple of songs.

smith288
04-22-2009, 10:26 PM
If DialIdol is correct, that's screwed up. I know that Lil is the new selection of "Vote For The Worst", but I can't believe they could skew the voting that much. She is by far the worst contestant left. And having Allison and Kris at the bottom is equally surprising.

My votes for who "should" go home tonight would be Anoop and Lil.
good call

:cool:

KittyDuran
05-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Any remarks about last night? :)

joshnky
05-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Any remarks about last night? :)

It was awful. Really one of the worst nights of the season.

icehole3
05-06-2009, 08:55 AM
what a great performance last night by Danny Gokey, here's a snippet

R6wiYAJjaGo

http://riosoriano07.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/danny-gokey-01-2009-02-171.jpg

jojo
05-06-2009, 09:05 AM
what a great performance last night by Danny Gokey, here's a snippet

R6wiYAJjaGo

http://riosoriano07.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/danny-gokey-01-2009-02-171.jpg

We missed the show last night. Was he singing an Alanis Morrisette cover? :cool:

smith288
05-06-2009, 10:04 AM
I like Gokey but that was atrocious. Stay FAR away from the blood curdling Steven Tyler songs.

Roy Tucker
05-06-2009, 10:35 AM
I think the duets were a mistake. Its a competition. I don't understand how the duets are supposed to be evaluated. It's American Idol, singular, not plural.

I still don't like Adam, but he was freaky good. Not many singers at all can pull off a Led Zeppelin/Robert Plant song. But that's a pretty far distance from the pop of American Idol. I don't know what that proved.

Kris was merely OK, Allison yelled a lot, and Danny is not a rock singer.

If Adam doesn't win, I'll be very surprised.

BuckeyeRed27
05-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Overall I liked last night minus Danny.

I liked the duet songs, but agree I'm not sure it is a good fit in a competition. I like when they do stuff like that during the finale with people that have been eliminated.

KoryMac5
05-06-2009, 11:13 AM
I think the judges constant love for Adam will be his downfall in the finals. People will be sick of the constant lovefest and vote for who ever is left in the finals.

Red in Chicago
05-06-2009, 07:22 PM
I think the judges constant love for Adam will be his downfall in the finals. People will be sick of the constant lovefest and vote for who ever is left in the finals.

Sadly, I think you are correct KM. I think Adam deserves to win, but between the constant praise from the judges and the fact that he has some unlikeable qualities will keep him from winning.

Despite the fact that Danny was the worst last night, I'm guessing Kris goes home.

AtomicDumpling
05-07-2009, 04:00 AM
Allison was the last one worth watching, so I guess I am done until next year. I am surprised she got as far as she did because rocker chicks don't usually fare well with the voters.

Adam is such a farce. He is a blend of Cher and fat, sweaty Elvis and some Meatloaf with a splash of Barry Gibb. What with the bloated body and face, the ridiculous shoulder pads in every too-tight outfit, the falsetto squealing with his tongue sticking out and the absurd "I'm pretending to be cool" haircuts I just can't understand why people vote for him. He is a bad actor posing as a pop star. He is destined for 3rd-rate Broadway freak-show musical comedies just like Clay Aiken.

Kris has some potential pimping teen heartthrob jingles to young girls. Danny will have a career on the gospel circuit. Allison will front a good band in the mold of early Heart or the Black Eyed Peas.

This was by far the worst season of American Idol. They are going to really have to change things up next year if they want any hope of regaining some relevance on the music scene.

jojo
05-07-2009, 07:09 AM
I think Adam deserves to win

I agree. IMHO he's the only one with something to say. He's probably the only contestant who would put out an original album, i.e. not a contrived, formula-driven, cliched, marketing gimmick with the latest idol's face on it. In other words, I don't find him boring regardless of whether what he has to say always "speaks" to me...

Roy Tucker
05-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Allison was the last one worth watching, so I guess I am done until next year. I am surprised she got as far as she did because rocker chicks don't usually fare well with the voters.

Adam is such a farce. He is a blend of Cher and fat, sweaty Elvis and some Meatloaf with a splash of Barry Gibb. What with the bloated body and face, the ridiculous shoulder pads in every too-tight outfit, the falsetto squealing with his tongue sticking out and the absurd "I'm pretending to be cool" haircuts I just can't understand why people vote for him. He is a bad actor posing as a pop star. He is destined for 3rd-rate Broadway freak-show musical comedies just like Clay Aiken.

Kris has some potential pimping teen heartthrob jingles to young girls. Danny will have a career on the gospel circuit. Allison will front a good band in the mold of early Heart or the Black Eyed Peas.

This was by far the worst season of American Idol. They are going to really have to change things up next year if they want any hope of regaining some relevance on the music scene.

Your comments about Adam are pretty funny. Icky, but funny. Every time they do a close-up of him, I go "ewwwww".

My youngest (16 years old today) was happy Kris went on. I think he'll go the country route. And yeah, Danny will go the Christian inspirational route. Agree that Allison has the most potential.

I wish there was a little more competition. Seems a foregone conclusion that Adam will win. Yuck.

I read in the paper this AM that Paula has admitted that she went to rehab last winter for a pain killer meds addiction. I'm shocked. Her number last night was a little odd. My daughter said "isn't she too old to be doing that?".

BRM
05-07-2009, 10:09 AM

Preach on brother!! Nice rant.

BuckeyeRed27
05-07-2009, 11:40 AM

Couldn't disagree more. The Top 5 this year is really good and your opinion is clearly influced but your dislike for one of the front runners. All 5 have a good chance of releasing an album that would sell which is something that no other season had a chance of doing.

joshnky
05-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Couldn't disagree more. The Top 5 this year is really good and your opinion is clearly influced but your dislike for one of the front runners. All 5 have a good chance of releasing an album that would sell which is something that no other season had a chance of doing.

I agree, although I think last years top two were both better than any in the top three. Adam seems to be a guy that most either love or hate. I don't care for his look or shrillness on some songs but when he calms down he is an excellent singer. Also, as was mentioned previously the judges praise is getting a little old. And I'm getting tired of Kara saying stupid things like "you're not a rock star, you're a rock god". They have to get rid of either her or Paula next year because the two combined have become excruciating.

smith288
05-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Adam = puke

AtomicDumpling is spot on in my book.

The rest of them are ok and I think Allison has the best shot. She's the most unique and fun. Adam hopes to be the next Freddie Mercury but will likely end up doing unwatchable Broadway "art"

macro
05-07-2009, 03:47 PM
I read in the paper this AM that Paula has admitted that she went to rehab last winter for a pain killer meds addiction. I'm shocked. Her number last night was a little odd. My daughter said "isn't she too old to be doing that?".

Yep, and she emphatically denied to Diane Sawyer on Nightline last week that she had ever been drunk or abused drugs of any kind, including Rx drugs.

nineworldseries
05-07-2009, 06:43 PM
The rest of them are ok and I think Allison has the best shot.

Well, I think that ship sailed last night, unfortunately.

BuckeyeRed27
05-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Well, I think that ship sailed last night, unfortunately.

I think he meant of post-Idol success

Redsfaithful
05-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Yep, I'm pretty much checking out at this point too, as Allison was the last one I liked. Kris is ok too I guess.

Also agree that this season was pretty bad, I personally enjoyed last year a lot more. I'm irritated to hear Kara is coming back next year, the four judges thing is ridiculously boring. I fast forwarded through everyone but Simon this year, I'll probably be doing that next year too. If it weren't for DVR AI would be impossible to watch.

TeamSelig
05-08-2009, 11:17 AM
I actually thought Gokey was awesome up until that scream. Idk why he even attempted to do that.

Roy Tucker
05-08-2009, 12:39 PM
I still like to watch AI. You just have to accept it for what it is. Soma for the masses.

traderumor
05-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I was very disappointed that Allison did not make it to the final three. All I see in Chris's performances, besides total boredom, is a member of the college kids groups that perform the live shows at Kings Island, singing Greased Lightning and Rock Around the Clock.

As for Adam, I had to overcome prejudice for the look early on and enjoy his talent. I actually like the theatrical side, so its a taste issue, I guess.

Gokey is a good singer with a likeable personality in the vein of Taylor Hicks and, similarly, will surprise me if he has any commercial appeal past American Idol.

I would buy an album with Allison singing original songs, though.

That is something I would suggest to see more of on future AI, is to start melding in more original music. I laugh every time the judges complain about karaoke performances when, guess what, you are only letting them cover tunes. Or when they complain because they sounded too much like the original, but then criticize them for being indulgent if they add their own style to a well-known song.

IslandRed
05-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Adam seems to be a guy that most either love or hate. I don't care for his look or shrillness on some songs but when he calms down he is an excellent singer.

Yep. There's nothing wrong with being a polarizing figure, as long as the "love" figure (as defined by "people who would buy his record") is sufficiently high. I won't be one of those people, but he probably has the best chance of inspiring that kind of loyalty from this season's crop.

joshnky
05-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Really good show tonight. Adam did his normal thing (like it or hate it) while Kris and Danny had excellent second performances after decent performances on the judges choices. I hope it will be Kris and Danny in the final but it will probably be Adam and Danny. The judges would die if their beloved Adam didn't make it through.

Redsfaithful
05-13-2009, 04:27 AM
I'm a huge U2 fan, so Adam Lambert's rendition of "One" just added insult to injury. I already didn't like the guy too much and then he ruined a fantastic song. The judges fall all over themselves praising him for reinterpreting songs, but he sings everything pretty much the same to me, it's all falsettos and shrieking, whether it fits the song or not.

I still can't believe he made "One" sound like elevator music.

Kris Allen was terrific, I might buy his version of "Heartbreaker". He deserves to win.

AtomicDumpling
05-13-2009, 04:52 AM
I'm a huge U2 fan, so Adam Lambert's rendition of "One" just added insult to injury. I already didn't like the guy too much and then he ruined a fantastic song. The judges fall all over themselves praising him for reinterpreting songs, but he sings everything pretty much the same to me, it's all falsettos and shrieking, whether it fits the song or not.

I still can't believe he made "One" sound like elevator music.

Kris Allen was terrific, I might buy his version of "Heartbreaker". He deserves to win.

I agree totally.

Adam was a comical farce as usual. His shrieking and squealing were even worse tonight. He was by far the worst singer tonight. Both of his songs were awful. The first 20 seconds of the first song were pretty good, then it was back to the horrendous falsetto screeching shrillness we have gotten so tired of already.

Danny was pretty good. He is a good singer, but he doesn't do anything to really make him stand out from the crowd in the industry.

Kris stole the show, especially with Heartless. That was one of the best performances of the whole season for anybody. No backup singers, no band. Just him and his guitar and he really filled the stage with sound and passion. Excellent.

Let's see if the brainless voters can come through in the end like they did last year.

Roy Tucker
05-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Yeah, when I heard that Simon had picked "One" for Adam, I thought he was going to knock it out of the ballpark. Great choice. It started OK and then I don't know where he went with it, but it sure wasn't the song I knew. Only Randy commented "dude, you lost the melody". But the judges have already coronated Adam. He probably is the best singer, but I hate to hear the judges pimp him so bad.

Kris' Heartless was a clutch hit in the bottom of the 9th and was awesome. Tilted the playing field back towards him. Danny is perfectly fine, but I'd like to see Kris in the finals. He deserves it I think.

I actually voted last night for the first time ever (well, pushed the speed dial number on my daughter's cell while she called on the house phone).

BuckeyeRed27
05-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Adam and Kris should be the final.

Great show last night. Heartless was probably my favorite performance ever on the show.

JaxRed
05-13-2009, 11:39 AM
While Adam has never been my personal favorite, he's certainly been the most entertaining and had the "what will he do" factor. But I thought both of his songs last night were lackluster.

I thought Danny was the best last night, Kris second Adam third. But it could go either way.

jojo
05-13-2009, 12:11 PM
I love "ONE" and cringe when anyone covers it. That said, Adam's version was pretty darn good.

smith288
05-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Adam stunk. I cant wait for this season to end because im so sick of Adam and the judge's ridiculous falling over themselves (particularly Simon...he even begged for votes which is not typical Simon). I hope he is cut tonight just to see Simon's face.

I actually liked what Kris did with Apologize. His high note isnt quite there so he abandons it on the second go round which was a good change from the original and he really showed emotion as he sung it. I am partial to the non timbaland one so this one was right down my alley.

Gokey is Gokey. I think I can recall one bad performance by him but he is always solid all season long.

traderumor
05-13-2009, 04:06 PM
My wife and I just looked at each other when Simon booed Randy's opinion. Simon is always so annoyed when the audience boos his "honest" evaluations, but there he was booing Randy last night. Priceless, really, considering the level of hypocrisy it represented.

TeamSelig
05-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Dialidol has Gokey with the lowest votes. Kris/Gokey were really, really close. Adam isn't declared safe, but had a decent lead.

REDblooded
05-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Kris has obviously watched "Taking the Stage" on MTV, where a young HS girl did an acoustic version of Heartless that sounded VERY similar.

BuckeyeRed27
05-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Kris has obviously watched "Taking the Stage" on MTV, where a young HS girl did an acoustic version of Heartless that sounded VERY similar.

I dunno I just watched it on YouTube and although they were similar I would not put it in rip off category at all. Her's was much more hip hop.

Red in Chicago
05-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Last night was the first time that Adam annoyed me. I thought for sure that I was going to love One, but only ended up liking the first part. I had high hopes for Cryin as well, but it just didn't work for me.

Danny's first song was awful. Second song ok.

Kris was alright, but I wasn't digging the Kanye song too much.

Kris has the weakest voice of all three, but I think I might like him the best, if he'd just stick within his range. Sometimes I think he tries to hard to be like Adam light.

If it were up to me, Danny would be gone tonight.

Redhook
05-13-2009, 07:21 PM
I thought all 3 stunk last night. I could barely listen to any of the 6 songs. Most likely I will quickly change the channel as soon as one of their songs airs on the radio.

FutureRedsGM
05-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Danny's first song was awful. Second song ok.

If it were up to me, Danny would be gone tonight.

If Danny goes home tonight, I think it will be in large part to poor song selection by Paula. The other two judges choices were mainstream popular that were easily recognizable by the voters. I had no idea what Danny was singing.

TeamSelig
05-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Normally, I'm a BIG Adam hater, but Cryin' wasn't too bad.

I agree 100% with FutureRedsGM about the song selection.

joshnky
05-13-2009, 09:55 PM
I usually don't watch the results show but watching the guest performances tonight (and recalling others) is a reminder of how little singing talent actual matters in this industry. All three of these contestants are at least as good as (if not better than) many of these stars they parade across the stage.

smith288
05-14-2009, 12:37 AM
I was actually sad for Danny. he is more likable than Axel Lambart....err, i mean Adam.

Roy Tucker
05-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Glad to see Kris go on but I can't see any way he beats Adam Lambert.

I think Danny will do fine. He'll go into Christian inspirational singing (which I think he wants to and it suits him well) and do well. I don't think he wants to be a pop star.

As a parenthetical note, I think its interesting how southern and midwestern hometowns turn out in droves for their AI candidates while with Calif. guys like Adam (and I remember this happening with Katharine McPhee), they have to hold a school assembly to get anyone there.

JaxRed
05-14-2009, 08:03 AM
There was some speculation that whoever lost between Kris and Danny, that their votes were more likely to go to each other rather then Adam. So if you keep in mind that with 80 million votes last night Kris and Adam were less than 1 million apart..... where are Danny's voters more likely to go. I think Kris.

IslandRed
05-14-2009, 09:28 AM
I think Danny will do fine. He'll go into Christian inspirational singing (which I think he wants to and it suits him well) and do well. I don't think he wants to be a pop star.

Good point. It doesn't seem to make much difference career-wise who actually wins, once you get to the last three or four. I've read some comments from former runner-ups who were actually relieved at not winning; they can just go make a record and not have to carry the Idol Winner baggage around. Danny will probably be one of those.