PDA

View Full Version : Easily confused by some signs

wally post
02-18-2009, 07:00 PM
On the Old Red Guard, there is a closed sticky warning us titled "Beating Subjects to Death". EVERYtime I see that I think it says "Beatings Subject to Death".

When in the UK, apts. that are "for rent" place a sign titled, "To Let". I always think it says "Toilet".

Anybody else have this issue with signs, or is it just me?

FlightRick
02-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Completely different type of "mis-reading," but my favorite bit of double-meaning-signage is easily the one that says:

SLOW
CHILDREN

Always makes me chuckle to myself and wonder if there's just something in the water or if it's a mysterious Bermuda Triangle of bad parenting that resulted in a pocket of kids so stupid they have to warn passers-by.

Also: my mom is fond of telling a story from when I was 3-4 years old, and just getting into the idea of reading... we were on a long drive somewhere, and passed a sign that said "Dense Fog." Both words were short enough that I spoke up and said "I got it!"... but in my expert opinion at the time, the sign read "Dense Frog," and to hear the tale, I became quite excited to look out the window at some sort of display of amphibious ubiquity.

I have no memory of this, but have heard the story enough times that I have more than once flirted with the idea of "Dense Frog" as a option for one of my band's names.

Rick

Yachtzee
02-18-2009, 09:05 PM
On the Old Red Guard, there is a closed sticky warning us titled "Beating Subjects to Death". EVERYtime I see that I think it says "Beatings Subject to Death".

When in the UK, apts. that are "for rent" place a sign titled, "To Let". I always think it says "Toilet".

Anybody else have this issue with signs, or is it just me?

I had that same problem in England. I thought the "I" had fallen off "TO LET".

marcshoe
02-18-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm still confused by a sign I saw when walking beside a railroad track in Melbourne, Australia. It said, "Beware of Train." I wasn't sure whether the train was rabid or had a habit of breaking its leash or what.

Roy Tucker
02-19-2009, 07:48 AM
When we pass a sign that says "No Outlet", I say "they don't have electricity back here?".

My wife then says "that was funny the first 137 times you said that, but no more".

cumberlandreds
02-19-2009, 08:35 AM
When we pass a sign that says "No Outlet", I say "they don't have electricity back here?".

My wife then says "that was funny the first 137 times you said that, but no more".

I thought it was funny. I hadn't heard that one or thought of it before. I'll try it out on the wife next time and the next 137 times I see it. :)

redsmetz
02-19-2009, 09:00 AM

I've had a similar gag that I've used for years (and my wife probably has the same response as your's).

Whenever we'd pass an "End Construction" sign, I turn and ask if they noticed that protest sign back there. "What protest sign" is the hoped for response (which stopped happening eons ago!). The one that said...

Roy Tucker
02-19-2009, 09:13 AM
I also do the "Slow Children" thing that FlightRick mentioned. We have one of those signs in our neighborhood and I tell my kids it was put it up for them so people will be more understanding of their challenges. I usually get a "shutup, Dad" response. My children love me so.

OesterPoster
02-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Ah, I have a similar gag when we see the "Soft Shoulder" sign. The kids always laugh when I grab my wife's shoulder and say, "Nope, feels pretty hard to me."

Then there's a sign which I've only seen one place, on a county road outside of Sidney, Ohio, just south of St. Rte. 47. It's an underpass for a railroad, and the sign says something about being aware of "old bridge" and be aware of "falling pieces" or something like that.

OldRightHander
02-19-2009, 10:31 AM
The slow children at play are usually the ones that grow up to be the slow men working. I have been known to put my hand on the forehead of a passenger and push when I see the sign that says Stop Ahead.

SunDeck
02-19-2009, 11:10 AM
http://www.goodexperience.com/broken/images/additionalparking.jpg

RichRed
02-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Saw this beauty in Swansboro, NC.

http://viewfromthemountain.typepad.com/david_sobotta_weblog/images/2007/11/30/dsc_0001_2.jpg

SunDeck
02-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Saw this beauty in Swansboro, NC.

http://viewfromthemountain.typepad.com/david_sobotta_weblog/images/2007/11/30/dsc_0001_2.jpg

It should say, "Stop reading and RUN like this guy!"

BUTLER REDSFAN
02-19-2009, 03:42 PM
I do the same thing but its verbal instead of written--like instead of a breath of fresh air I will say a freth of bresh air....drives me nuts...

UKFlounder
02-19-2009, 04:43 PM
I do the same thing but its verbal instead of written--like instead of a breath of fresh air I will say a freth of bresh air....drives me nuts...

I don't know how many times I've told someone I need to "check a cash" :oops:

WebScorpion
02-24-2009, 02:41 PM
I always annoy my family on long drives by exclaiming 'HAY!' when we pass a field with bales or rolls of hay. After many years, they still alwys ask, "What?". Then they usually just groan as I point to the hay. ;)

Hoosier Red
02-24-2009, 03:07 PM
I always annoy my family on long drives by exclaiming 'HAY!' when we pass a field with bales or rolls of hay. After many years, they still alwys ask, "What?". Then they usually just groan as I point to the hay. ;)

My friend used to have season tickets to the Pacers games at the old Market Square Arena. The guy next to him would always make his own version of "The HEy Song"

Da-da-dan-dan-da-HEY
Da-da-dan-dan-da-CORN
Da-da-dan-dan-da- SOY

people would look at him funny and he'd say "What? what else do we grow in Indiana."

GoReds33
02-24-2009, 03:31 PM
I still have memories of when I was a young lad, and I started laughing at a street sign. My mom asked me what was so funny, and I said "Why would angels need parking?" She starts laughing, and says "No, that's angle parking." Apparently I wasn't the best reader back in the day.:)

Razor Shines
02-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Dad, did you hack into a bunch of different redszone posters' screen names?

gilpdawg
02-25-2009, 03:31 AM
***phone rings***

Caller-Dude, Did I wake you up?
Me-Naw, I had to get up to answer the phone anyway. :)

OldRightHander
02-25-2009, 08:26 AM
The other day this happened.

Phone rings and since I don't recognize the number I answer with my business name.

Caller: "Oh, I got the wrong number."

Me: "No, you got the one you dialed."

Caller: "Huh?"

TeamSelig
02-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Dad, did you hack into a bunch of different redszone posters' screen names?

lol

These quotes are notorious for the "crazy old guy" we all know one, apparently redszone is full of them ;)

paintmered
02-25-2009, 08:08 PM
The other day this happened.

Phone rings and since I don't recognize the number I answer with my business name.

Caller: "Oh, I got the wrong number."

Me: "No, you got the one you dialed."

Caller: "Huh?"

There is one other person in the world that shares my name. I received a call for him at work today. :laugh:

sonny
02-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Before I eat a salad, I'll tell my wife "Let us eat this" (lettuce, eat this)

She didn't think it was funny the first time.

acredsfan
02-26-2009, 04:54 AM
I always point out things I find humorous when I'm driving. Unfortunately people who are with me don't usually get my humor. I like to think it's above the average intellect. All this sign misreading reminds me of a Zach Galifianakis joke:

I had dyslexia as a child.... I use to write about it in my dairy.

sonny
03-01-2009, 09:52 PM
I always see "paint metered" when I see paintmered's handle.

SunDeck
03-01-2009, 09:57 PM
http://www.youthblog.org/archives/sign%20smaller.jpg

camisadelgolf
03-02-2009, 12:44 AM
Every time I see the title, I think this is going to be a thread about woman troubles. Good luck interpreting those signs.

LoganBuck
03-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Every time I see the title, I think this is going to be a thread about woman troubles. Good luck interpreting those signs.

My wife wanted to spend some quality time with me on Friday. I got home late an hour late, at 8:45pm. She was laying in bed, wearing a hooded sweatshirt, sweat pants, and had fallen asleep, snoring, I went to check on her, and the magazine was stuck to her face.

I interpreted that sign to mean, "go away".

camisadelgolf
03-02-2009, 08:02 AM
My wife wanted to spend some quality time with me on Friday. I got home late an hour late, at 8:45pm. She was laying in bed, wearing a hooded sweatshirt, sweat pants, and had fallen asleep, snoring, I went to check on her, and the magazine was stuck to her face.

I interpreted that sign to mean, "go away".
I guarantee that if I were in that same scenario with my girlfriend, it would mean I did something wrong and that I should have done something very differently that included buying her flowers and/or complimenting her on something I didn't even notice that she changed about herself.

nate
03-02-2009, 09:40 AM
I've been a bit confused by this sign:

http://www.gluethemoose.com/neen/redszone/motivator8378261.jpg

SunDeck
03-02-2009, 09:57 AM
The losing stopped long ago. It's the not winning that the Reds are currently struggling with.