PDA

View Full Version : Apple Safari

Ltlabner
02-20-2009, 09:01 AM
I've been using Apple Safari for a while now to do my web browsing and have a couple of questions for our tech gurus. I like using it and I'm sure the rest of you appreciate the integrated spellcheck feature.

However, it seems that both on my home computer and my work laptop the browser is pretty unstable. I usually encounter an error that kicks me out at least once per session. The question is: is this inherent to the browser software? If so, any tweaks that can eliminate/reduce the issue? If not, any ideas as to what might be causing the problem? I know that's a hard question to answer without knowing my other software installs, but I thought maybe there was a known interference between say Safari and Norton Anti-Virus (for example).

Second, any known email clients that work within Safari? I liked Opera really well for a while but it doesn't work on every site. If there was a plugin or something that worked with Safari to accomplish the same goal that'd be pretty slick.

Razor Shines
02-20-2009, 09:09 AM
I went away from foxfire to safari for a few days, but I came running back to ff. You don't like foxfire? It's got the spell checker.

elfmanvt07
02-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Firefox is a tremendous client. Safari has always left me wanting, mainly due to less-than-stellar plug-in support. You can get Firefox here (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/).

nate
02-20-2009, 09:59 AM
There's no integrated email client for Safari.

You might be getting kicked off because Safari doesn't like to update Corey Patterson's wiki page 5 times per day. :cool:

I mainly use Firefox.

westofyou
02-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Safari loads applications and web elements in channels as opposed to from the top down like FF and IE, Googles browser uses its engine as well and is better IMO than safari. This means that the channel that doesn't download is kicking you off, thus I'd see if it occurs with the same type of content, also I'd check those pages vs FF.. but if you get kicked off due to something in safaroio and not FF then it's likely a settings issue, check the rights and such, start with them wide open and thin it out while checking teh content that causes issues.

As for email clients... I use Thunderbird myself.

OldRightHander
02-20-2009, 11:24 AM
I have Safari on my Mac and my PC, but have pretty much gone exclusively to Firefox on both computers as well. Firefox is my favorite browser hands down on either computer. I still prefer Safari to IE, but pretty much anything is better than that piece of junk.

missionhockey21
02-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Safari certainly is not bad, but I just can't go back to it as I've used Firefox for years on Windows machines and with the inclusion of the Awesome Bar for Firefox, it makes Safari searching frustrating.

Unassisted
02-20-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm way too dependent on Firefox plugins (AdBlock Plus! Gmail Manager!) to use Mac Safari for long stretches. Mrs. Bowie eschews plugins and prefers Safari, but she complains about the number of crashes from it, too.

I'm looking forward to Google Chrome for the Mac. I use it about 50% of the time on Windows and find it to be nice and snappy.

ochre
02-20-2009, 01:52 PM
lynx never crashes. :)

BoydsOfSummer
02-20-2009, 02:26 PM
I've been using FireFox forever and like it a lot. Recently downed Google Chrome and have been using it. It's definitely less of a resource hog and seems to be quicker and speedier. I use it when I'm running another resource hog like Torrent Down loaders as it's less affected. When I run FireFox and a Torrent Client it really affects my PC performance.

smith288
02-20-2009, 11:59 PM
I like mixing Chrome and Firefox... Firefox is great for plugins, greasemonkey, firebug etc etc but Chrome is quick and dirty.

BCubb2003
02-21-2009, 12:57 AM
The one thing I prefer Safari for is the way it handles RSS feeds. I use everything else, but Safari is my favorite because of that one thing.

reds1869
02-21-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm as big a machead as you will find and I don't even use Safari on my mac. It always leaves me wanting...I use a combination of Firefox and Opera.

Razor Shines
02-21-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm as big a machead as you will find and I don't even use Safari on my mac. It always leaves me wanting...I use a combination of Firefox and Opera.

I love using Opera's mini browser for my phone. It's so much faster than the browser that comes loaded onto the Instinct.

camisadelgolf
02-22-2009, 08:53 AM
lynx never crashes. :)
There's one in every crowd.
............................................______ __
....................................,.-...................``~.,
.............................,.-...................................-.,
.........................,/...............................................:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....~,_........~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......=,_.......-,_.......,.-~-,},.~;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......=-._......;,,./`..../............../
...,,,___.\`~,......~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Unassisted
02-22-2009, 01:15 PM
lynx never crashes. :)And I'm sure it's still great over a 2400 baud connection. :D

AtomicDumpling
02-22-2009, 07:13 PM
I rank the browsers in this order:

1. Firefox
2. Chrome
3. Opera
4. Internet Explorer
5. Safari

I find Safari to be very slow and it doesn't handle multi-media content well at all. It is also not very secure.

Firefox is by far the best browser in my opinion. It is fast, secure and handles everything. There are lots of great plugins too. Chrome is a fast, slim browser. The rest of them fall fall short in terms of performance and security.

The people that come to my websites still overwhelmingly use Internet Explorer. About 68% use IE, 25% use Firefox, 5% use Safari and the other 2% is divided up amongst the other browsers. I can't understand why anybody uses Internet Explorer these days. I guess they are just unaware of the alternatives.

ochre
02-22-2009, 10:58 PM
There is a purpose for every tool. Lynx is awesome for cookie based online voting, where one doesn't want to write a custom voting app.

BoydsOfSummer
02-23-2009, 06:06 PM
The people that come to my websites still overwhelmingly use Internet Explorer. About 68% use IE, 25% use Firefox, 5% use Safari and the other 2% is divided up amongst the other browsers. I can't understand why anybody uses Internet Explorer these days. I guess they are just unaware of the alternatives.

I had to take a computer class recently. The instructor was unaware of anything other than IE. I was fairly sure at that point I wasn't going to learn anything new.

BCubb2003
02-23-2009, 09:17 PM
It's hard to watch MLB TV on a lynx browser.

ochre
02-24-2009, 11:14 AM
It's hard to watch MLB TV on a lynx browser.
Yeah. I think you need the Flash -> ASCII art plugin for that.

TRF
02-24-2009, 11:14 AM
FF is not really fast to load, but it is secure. Chrome and Opera are lightning fast when loading, love both browsers. But as a developer, I tend to surf in FF or IE7/8 IE 6 is a piece of crap that should be erased from our collective consciousness.

For personal use, the beta of Chrome is fantastic.

ochre
02-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Plus, from what I hear 90% of the mlb.tv games are blacked out. Lynx loads a black screen faster than any other browser hands down. :)

smith288
02-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I got a call from a former coworker of mine who had adware issues. I told him to erase the IE8 icon from his desktop, set firefox or Chrome as his default and never speak of IE again. He never heard of FF and kept calling it "Foxfire".

Firefox needs a better marketing campaign and talk to OEM vendors to get their browser installed on the OS at the manufacturing level. Firefox has plenty of cash on hand but what do I know?

ochre
02-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Foxfire does, however, rock too:
http://www.foxfire.org/images/books.jpg

Unassisted
02-24-2009, 12:03 PM
There's a new public beta of Safari 4 (http://www.apple.com/safari/download/) out today for those who like to try new software.