PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts From the Delivery Room

Dom Heffner
02-26-2009, 05:24 AM
So I'm wide awake, lying on the floor of the room in which my son will be brought into the world here in a few short hours. The floor is bitter cold, only 3 pillows and a blanket separate me from total discomfort, and despite badly losing a bout with the flu (Larry Holmes has nothing on that dude) I can't help but feel like the luckiest guy in the world.

See, things like this don't happen to me. For twenty years I swore off the faintest hint of commitment, preferring to chase dead end streets on purpose. Nothing was good enough for whatever reason I saw fit.

Until Ashlei. I met her in an aesthetician's office of all places, and I can honestly tell you everything about the first moment I saw her. I suffered silently with my feelings until a year of not being able to take it anymore culminated with me pulling a rose out of the inside pocket of my suit jacket (I tore a hole in the lining of the jacket to accomodate the long stem).

Fast forward 18 months and I'm lying on a frigid hospital room, sick as a dog and unable to sleep because I can't stop listening to the beautiful sounds of Ashlei breathing and our son's heartbeat pounding away in the night.

There are billions of people and places in the universe tonight and I can't think of anyone or anywhere I'd rather be than right here, right now.

My uncle used to say "You're never lost as long as you have a mouth," and while he meant it in the directional sense, I can honestly tell you that I thank fate, the stars, God, the Academy, that I mustered the courage to tell Ash how I felt, because this once lost soul feels finally found tonight.

SunDeck
02-26-2009, 06:51 AM
Wow Dom- you're sick on the floor of a hospital room, waiting for your baby and...your posting? I commend the commitment to Redszone, my friend.

And good luck in the next 48 hours; I hope you feel better because every new dad deserves to enjoy the birth of their first kid 100% :thumbup:

GIK
02-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Great post. Congrats and good luck!

hebroncougar
02-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Good luck..........holding your child for the first time is the greatest feeling in the world IMO.

Chip R
02-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Good for you, Dom!

RFS62
02-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Awesomeness, Dom.

:beerme:

macro
02-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Congratulations, Dom! If your experience is like mine, you'll be able to draw a line in your life, and the separation will be crystal clear: your life before this child was born and your life after. You will actually experience your life's priorities changing the moment this little fellow appears.

A couple of things that stick in my memory about that moment: 1) that this person is my son and I don't even know him, and 2) the realization that I was looking at a completely clean slate of a life.

wolfboy
02-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Congrats and good luck! :beerme:

RANDY IN INDY
02-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Congratulations, Dom! Your son will change your life like nothing else can. Good Luck!

Johnny Footstool
02-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Sounds like you've got a great handle on the situation, Dom.

Real life -- here's to it!

forfreelin04
02-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Congratulations Dom!

Great post too.

TeamSelig
02-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Congrats

Redsfaithful
02-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Congratulations Dom, it all changes from here on out, but in a good way.

ochre
02-26-2009, 12:09 PM
my wife would have beat me senseless if she caught me on a computer in any of our deliveries.

Grats though. Welcoming one's child into the world is definitely one of the most 'un-meh' moments one can experience.

SunDeck
02-26-2009, 12:49 PM
my wife would have beat me senseless if she caught me on a computer in any of our deliveries.

Grats though. Welcoming one's child into the world is definitely one of the most 'un-meh' moments one can experience.

That's childbirth 2.0 for you.

My wife would have beat me senseless had I been within arm's length to be honest. Childbirth renders the ladies, um...different from the wives we know and love. Happily, mine has little memory of the experience except for the part when it was over.

RichRed
02-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Great post, Dom - congrats!

Dom Heffner
02-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Sebastian Reese was born at 10:04 am. Both mother and baby are beautiful.

Thanks for all the well wishes.

And guys- I typed that on an iPhone while mom was quite asleep. She got to read the post though and she had a good cry.

Okay- we had a good cry.

SunDeck
02-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Woot!

What's an iphone?

Is it like my phone, pictured here?
http://chicagoist.com/attachments/Hunter%20Clauss/old%20cell%20phone.jpg

cumberlandreds
02-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Sebastian Reese was born at 10:04 am. Both mother and baby are beautiful.

Thanks for all the well wishes.

And guys- I typed that on an iPhone while mom was quite asleep. She got to read the post though and she had a good cry.

Okay- we had a good cry.

Congratulations! That first post was really,really nice. You should make sure you print that and keep it forever.

Unassisted
02-26-2009, 03:10 PM

At the hospital where my second kid was born, they had TVs in the birthing rooms. 12 years later, I remember much more about what was on TV that night than I do about my wife's labor. Her memory of the experience is the exact opposite. :D

Congratulations, Dom. :thumbup:

nate
02-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Congrats!

*BaseClogger*
02-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Wow, this thread is way more exciting than what I thought it was going to be about (sorting mail).

Congrats! :)

joshnky
02-26-2009, 03:44 PM
So I'm wide awake, lying on the floor of the room in which my son will be brought into the world here in a few short hours.

We got to experience this joy a couple weeks ago (minus the illness and sleeping on the floor) with the birth of our daughter. As everyone else said it is an amazing and crazy experience. I hope everything goes well!

George Anderson
02-26-2009, 05:55 PM
At the hospital where my second kid was born, they had TVs in the birthing rooms. 12 years later, I remember much more about what was on TV that night than I do about my wife's labor. Her memory of the experience is the exact opposite. :D

True Story

We had a TV on in the room when my wife was giving birth to my son. Just as he popped out and while still attached to the embilitical cord, a commercial featuring Rob Dibble wearing his Reds uniform featuring the sports show he used to host came on the TV.

I commented to my wife..."this is awesome....the very moment my son enters the world the Reds are on TV"!!!

With my wife's feet still in the stirrups and as I am cutting my sons embilitical cord, the doctor looks up at me (he is still down there) and asked me...so your a reds fan?? I told him yes so he proceeded to ask me as I was trying to cut my sons cord what I thought the Reds could do about the lousy bullpen( it was 06') . I proceeded to give my views on the bullpen and the state of the Reds as I was cutting my sons cord.

Unfortunately the baseball conversation was cut short because my wife just wasn't a real good sport and made it known in a not to subtle way that she want to hear about the trials and tribulations of the Reds having just seconds before gaving birth.

I can't believe some women ;)

Redsfaithful
02-26-2009, 05:55 PM

We had a tv in the birthing room, Reds were playing the Brewers for a few hours of the delivery, actually beat them pretty good that night.

WebScorpion
02-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Congratulations Dom! Enjoy every moment! Having children is a special joy that everyone should experience at some point in their life. Your post brought back powerful memories for me. I can remember everything about the births of all three of my daughters, and like you I was smart enough to put my thoughts and feelings down on paper (or the digital equivalent) shortly after each. One of my daughters recently graduated from high school and one of the things I gave her was a copy of my writings upon the occasion of her birth. It was very moving for both of us.
You've got so many wonderful moments to look forward to...first words, first steps, first baseball game, first day of school, and on and on. Enjoy! and congrats again! :beerme: