PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated ST postcard: Can 09 Reds mimmick 08 Rays?

Ghosts of 1990
02-26-2009, 08:50 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ted_keith/02/26/reds.postcard/index.html?eref=sircrc

Decent read. I liked the part that said our team has been known as one of the most fan and media friendly in the league for years. I agree with that from what I've experienced.

forfreelin04
02-26-2009, 09:20 PM
That is a nice read.

Need all the positives we can get.

If we in the Sun Deck believe what their trumpeting in ORG, we might as well twiddle our thumbs until football season.

fadetoblack2880
02-27-2009, 12:32 AM
its nice to see something optimistic about the reds on this board.

Grounds_Crew
02-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Its GREAT to read stuff like that, as we don't hear it often...but let's see it on the field!

bgwilly31
02-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Makes it all sound peaches and cherries.

Funny how the rest of world agrees with my last seasons arguments "the HIGHLY paid LAZY veteran leaders" This team had dragging us down.

Too bad we still need all the planets to align for a playoff birth.

Shawn_RedsFan
02-27-2009, 03:50 PM
When I was watching the rays run last year I kept saying to myself this could very easily be the reds next year. Hopefully SI is right :D

gedred69
02-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Maybe I date myself a bit, but what about comparison to the '90 Reds? Did anyone pick them to be the team to beat? They had emerging stars in Larkin (But not quite yet), and Davis, (A little further along, but similar evaluation). Rijo, everybody thought[B] he might be good, a solid O'Neill, good-hitting Morris, Sabo who? Etc., etc. And oh yeah, the nasty boys. Well, this bullpen [B]could be pretty nasty

xavr1
02-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Not only is it a good read, but its exactly what I have been thinking lately. If our pitching pans out, and the short ST has me optimistic it will, there is no reason at all we cant make a run

jmac
02-28-2009, 11:40 AM
If we in the Sun Deck believe what their trumpeting in ORG, we might as well twiddle our thumbs until football season.

Obviously I would love to see the reds make the playoffs.
"But" I am not the kind that when they will "not", I write off the season. I love baseball too much. Shoot...I got excited the years we went into ST with guys like Hamilton, Haynes, Reitsma, Osvaldo Fernandez, Dessens as starters.
So now with these guys Like EVol, Cueto etc, I definitely see where they could/should improve.

Also, the Brew Crew and Houston should drop back a bit and the Pirates are the Pirates.
Stl has potentially an above average bullpen "if" starters can get it to them.
The Cubs are set to win a 162 game schedule but all in all , I think it will be a fun year. ;)