PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Coaching Staffs

redsmetz
02-27-2009, 11:58 AM
The Delino DeShields thread and a few others, got me wondering about the coaching staffs for the different clubs. I thought I'd start this thread for folks to comment on who we've hired and what they bring to the organization. I think there are a number of new folks, so what do they bring to helping developing our players.

Here are the staffs:

Louisville AAA
Manager: Rick Sweet
Batting Coach: Adrian Garrett
Pitching Coach: Ted Power

Carolina AA
Manager: David Bell
Batting Coach: Ryan Jackson
Pitching Coach: Tom Browning

Sarasota High A
Manager: Joe Ayrault
Batting Coach: Jorge Orta
Pitching Coach: Tom Brown

Dayton Low A
Manager: Todd Benzinger
Batting Coach: Tony Jaramillo
Pitching Coach: Rigo Beltran

Billings Rookie
Manager: Julio Garcia
Batting Coach: Delinio DeShields
Pitching Coach: Bob Forsch

GCL Reds Rookie
Manager: Pat Kelly
Batting Coach: not shown on website
Pitching Coach: not shown on website

redsmetz
02-27-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm liking the new Billings staff. Garcia has a number of years managing in the minors, most recently for the Cubs Low A affiliate where he took them to the playoffs four out of the five years (including taking the league championship). I'm excited to see Bob Forsch as a pitching coach. I think he'll bring a lot to the table with his experience over the years.

bounty37h
02-27-2009, 03:18 PM
I am stoked to have Browning here in NC, he was a fav as a player, and cant wait to meet him soon! I still have a limited edition poster of his perfect game, and hope to get him to sign it for me.

tripleaaaron
02-28-2009, 02:33 AM
I am stoked to have Browning here in NC, he was a fav as a player, and cant wait to meet him soon! I still have a limited edition poster of his perfect game, and hope to get him to sign it for me.

Just go to the local bar he will be there and he will be more than happy to sign your poster.

redsmetz
03-02-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm curious to see how David Bell does. If bloodlines mean anything, he should come in with a plethora of baseball knowledge. Now whether that will translate into anything meaningful on the playing field remains to be seen, but I hope he suceeds.

On their face, I'm liking the staffs that are being put together. I really would like to hear from others as to their thoughts about who these folks are and how they fit within the organization. Development is critical for a club in our market.

Scrap Irony
03-02-2009, 09:46 AM
We'll see. Sometimes, a solid major league career does not a good coach make. I have high hopes for Jamarillo as a hitting coach and think both Forsch and Deshields will make fine additions, but question Browning's acumen (smart pitcher, though). Most crucual, IMO, are at Sarasota and all I know of Orta is that he was the guy Dekkinger screwed up on in 1985.

mace
03-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Orta's also the guy about whom Harry Caray unloosed his infamous line: "How could he lose the ball in the sun? He's from Mexico."

carmack42
03-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Looking forward to seeing the Mudcats visit Huntsville this year. I think Bell and Browning are good choices. I don't know anything about Jackson. Bell and Jackson are relatively young, so maybe the Reds are trying to grow managers as well as farmhands.

I'm sorry that the team has to put up with a seven hour ride to get here. We'll try to make it a good turnout for them when they show up.