PDA

View Full Version : Hank Haney Experiment - Charles Barkely

MWM
02-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Who's planning on watching? I know I'm not going to miss it. Could be the best thing ever made for TV.

Redhook
02-28-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm watching. It's going to be hilarious.

Danny Serafini
02-28-2009, 05:43 PM
I have no idea what this is. What is it?

Highlifeman21
02-28-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm watching. It's going to be hilarious.

Barkley was a Non-Resident member of the 1st Club at which I worked in Philly.

He played there 3 times in the 2 seasons I worked, each time playing in no less than 6 hours while having to let countless groups play through.

Great dude though. Treated the staff well, tipped well, easy to approach and talk to.

I'm still kicking myself that I didn't get him to autograph a scorecard.

guttle11
02-28-2009, 07:09 PM
The DVR is set.

redsfan1966
03-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Im on the fence---saw a ton of promos on Wednesdays Golf Channel coverage of the return of Tiger; looks interesting---Ive got so much garbage backlogged on my DVR; I dont know if I want to make time for it...

RFS62
03-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Must see TV

:beerme:

Hoosier Red
03-01-2009, 09:34 AM
I have no idea what this is. What is it?

Basically its Hank Haney(Tiger's coach) trying to teach Charles Barkley how to correct his swing. It will hopefully be funny because 1) Barkley's pretty dang funny anyway, 2) He has the ugliest golf swing in history, and 3) He's being given license to tell his swing coach what every person in America has wanted to say to a golf pro giving them lessons.

Highlifeman21
03-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Who's watchin'?

IMO, Hank's taking a very aggressive, yet unconventional approach to trying to help Charles.

Given what Charles is currently displaying as a swing, Hank's probably right on the money.

I'm glued to my tv, won't lie!

Red
03-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Wasn't that video of Chuck's swing back in 94 amazing? He looked like a golfer, no hitch in his swing. For a former NBA player it looked near perfect.

What the heck happened?

Redhook
03-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Wasn't that video of Chuck's swing back in 94 amazing? He looked like a golfer, no hitch in his swing. For a former NBA player it looked near perfect.

What the heck happened?

Anxiety and Expectations.

IslandRed
03-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Dan Patrick -- or somebody, not 100% sure -- described Barkley's swing as a guy trapped in a phone booth with a bee.

Redhook
03-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Dan Patrick -- or somebody, not 100% sure -- described Barkley's swing as a guy trapped in a phone booth with a bee.

This is what I say:
"Looked like he was fightin' a rattlesnack in a telephone booth"

For someone who yips chip shots:
"He looks like a monkey f***** a football"

And for those who hit a putt too far:
"There's a little chicken left on that bone"
"There's a little pizza left in the box"
And my favorite: "There's a little poo-poo left in that diaper" :D

WMR
03-05-2009, 08:08 PM
It's playing right now. Is this the first episode? Hugely entertaining.

What about when he hit that little chipper going for the green and the ball went at a 45 degree angle into the bunker? :laugh:

RFS62
03-05-2009, 10:28 PM
This is what I say:
"Looked like he was fightin' a rattlesnack in a telephone booth"

For someone who yips chip shots:
"He looks like a monkey f***** a football"

And for those who hit a putt too far:
"There's a little chicken left on that bone"
"There's a little pizza left in the box"
And my favorite: "There's a little poo-poo left in that diaper" :D

Years ago playing with my son I picked one clean in a greenside bunker. It flew 25 yards over the green and hit the plate glass window of the clubhouse with a huge sound. Luckily, it didn't break.

I shook my head and looked at Garrett and said "A bit firm".

From that moment forward, "a bit firm" was in our lexicon.

BuckeyeRedleg
03-05-2009, 11:52 PM

What the heck happened?

Attention, maybe?

Seriously, Charles Barkley is an athlete and a great one at that. No athlete swings a club like that, after they have proven they can swing it better once before.

It's either a major psychological condition (in which he may need medication), the result of a bad injury, or he's doing it for attention.

WMR
03-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Attention, maybe?

Seriously, Charles Barkley is an athlete and a great one at that. No athlete swings a club like that, after they have proven they can swing it better once before.

It's either a major psychological condition (in which he may need medication), the result of a bad injury, or he's doing it for attention.

Have you seen the first episode, Buck?

He's definitely not doing it for attention. The man is seriously tortured and loves golf dearly. They had a psychologist on the program discussing how his swing regressed to what it is.

He worked HARD. Did what Haney calls "A Tiger Day." Put in a solid 12 hour day of golf. Haney said he swung over 1000 times.

dabvu2498
03-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Years ago playing with my son I picked one clean in a greenside bunker. It flew 25 yards over the green and hit the plate glass window of the clubhouse with a huge sound. Luckily, it didn't break. I shook my head and looked at Garrett and said "A bit firm". From that moment forward, "a bit firm" was in our lexicon. I once hit a hooded 4 iron so far left it knocked the bottle of ketchup off the patio dinner table of a family of 5. As I yelled fore I had visions of their little girl catching it with her teeth. Took me about a month before I could play again. And even then I couldnt hit anything longer than a 5. Still can't use ketchup.

BuckeyeRedleg
03-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Played with a guy at Muirfield CC last summer. We were teeing off from the tips on #1 and he sliced one so bad that it almost took off someone's head on the practice green. He teed off again and almost hit the same guy again. The practice green is pretty much directly right from the tee box on #1. From there, we just had him drop his ball in the fairway where our drives had landed. After that, he settled down and ended up with a pretty decent round (low 90's) even with the snowman he took on #1.

I'm sure it was a case of nerves but, it was something that you had to see to believe.

BuckeyeRedleg
03-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Have you seen the first episode, Buck?

He's definitely not doing it for attention. The man is seriously tortured and loves golf dearly. They had a psychologist on the program discussing how his swing regressed to what it is.

He worked HARD. Did what Haney calls "A Tiger Day." Put in a solid 12 hour day of golf. Haney said he swung over 1000 times.

No, but I will have to catch it one of these nights.

I'm curious what the psychologist had to say.

Redhook
03-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Attention, maybe?

It's definitely not attention.

He has the full swing yips. Bad. Really bad. It's one of the worst cases ever. I've heard of people stopping on the downswing before but I've never seen it until I saw Charles' swing. It's amazing really.

Having the yips with the full swing is much, much worse than the putting yips, yet the yips is usually referred to putting. Full swing yips will cripple your game in a heart beat.

You know I never understood how Steve Sax and Chuck Knoblauch couldn't throw a ball from 2nd base to 1st base. I know now. It's amazing the control the mind can have over the body.

I believe Charles will overcome this problem. But, it's going to take a lot of time. He'll start hitting it really good on the range, but I don't think he'll play good for a while. I highly doubt he'll play good by the end of the show. It'll take him years to overcome the scar damage that he has right now.

Red
03-06-2009, 03:37 PM
I play with a guy on a regular basis who is a fine player. He's probably a 12 handicap which isn't bad considering the course is tough and we have to take 5-6 months off every year due to winter. He's capable of playing really well. But every now and then he starts to shank all his pitch shots. His full swing will be fine but as soon as he has a pitch that isn't a full swing he'll hit it dead right. You can see what it does to him mentally. He becomes so affraid of doing it that he causes himself to do it more and more and more. His swing gets lazy as he is scared to take a cut at it in fear of the shank which just leads to more shanks.

Charles is going through something similar but he caught it with the full swing. Who knows what the root cause is but he probably nearly killed someone at one time or another and can't get that off his mind.

It will be interesting to see if they bring any psycholgist into the show to work wit Chuck.

George Foster
03-06-2009, 11:26 PM
I play with a guy on a regular basis who is a fine player. He's probably a 12 handicap which isn't bad considering the course is tough and we have to take 5-6 months off every year due to winter. He's capable of playing really well. But every now and then he starts to shank all his pitch shots. His full swing will be fine but as soon as he has a pitch that isn't a full swing he'll hit it dead right. You can see what it does to him mentally. He becomes so affraid of doing it that he causes himself to do it more and more and more. His swing gets lazy as he is scared to take a cut at it in fear of the shank which just leads to more shanks.

Charles is going through something similar but he caught it with the full swing. Who knows what the root cause is but he probably nearly killed someone at one time or another and can't get that off his mind.

It will be interesting to see if they bring any psycholgist into the show to work wit Chuck.

I have the shanks a couple of times each year for a hole or 2. The best way I have found to correct the problem during a round is to curl my toes up on both feet. Then I do everything I normally do in my pre-shot routine before a chip shot. It works.

Maybe someone here can explain what curling up your toes does to the weight distribution. I just knows it works for me. Maybe you can tell your friend this. It can't hurt!

Redhook
03-07-2009, 07:25 AM
I have the shanks a couple of times each year for a hole or 2. The best way I have found to correct the problem during a round is to curl my toes up on both feet. Then I do everything I normally do in my pre-shot routine before a chip shot. It works.

Maybe someone here can explain what curling up your toes does to the weight distribution. I just knows it works for me. Maybe you can tell your friend this. It can't hurt!

I haven't heard that one before. That's pretty funny, but here's why it works. When you shank a shot you're hitting the ball off the hosel. In order to hit the ball off the hosel your hands must get closer to the ball at impact. If you transfer your weight to your toes your hands will either get closer to the ball or go straight up. Both results are bad. Keeping your weight off your toes will keep your weight back making it much harder to shank the ball.

Now, this can work for a chip shot, but I wouldn't recommend for the full swing. If you're shanking full shots it's best to try to swing a little smoother with quiet feet.

Red
03-07-2009, 09:13 PM
While I agree with Redhook, I don't think his strategy would help my guy. His problem is that he gets armys and doesn't move his body. At impact he is slowing down so much that the club is about as open as it could be. His anti-shank pitches can get ugly, dead hooks. It is troubling to watch someone come over the top that badly on a 30 yard pitch. And like I said, he is a good player.

The shanks suck. I've been through it. Got em a couple of times when playing with people for the first time. Talk about embarrassing.

Sean_CaseyRules
03-10-2009, 04:00 AM
I know this isn't about golf, but it does have to do with Charles Barkley and entertaining. Has anyone seen the video where Charles' co-host wrote "I'm a dumb***" on the teleprompter and he still read it? If not, here it is, and it is hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDDxh3iyy9s

Chip R
03-10-2009, 10:50 AM
I know this isn't about golf, but it does have to do with Charles Barkley and entertaining. Has anyone seen the video where Charles' co-host wrote "I'm a dumb***" on the teleprompter and he still read it? If not, here it is, and it is hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDDxh3iyy9s

I'm Ron Burgandy?

RFS62
03-13-2009, 07:44 AM
I haven't heard that one before. That's pretty funny, but here's why it works. When you shank a shot you're hitting the ball off the hosel. In order to hit the ball off the hosel your hands must get closer to the ball at impact. If you transfer your weight to your toes your hands will either get closer to the ball or go straight up. Both results are bad. Keeping your weight off your toes will keep your weight back making it much harder to shank the ball.

Now, this can work for a chip shot, but I wouldn't recommend for the full swing. If you're shanking full shots it's best to try to swing a little smoother with quiet feet.

Another possibility is that focusing your attention on the weight distribution by curling your toes keeps your thought process away from whatever is causing the shanks.

During the warmup on the range for the first tournament my son played in years ago, he started shanking the ball. He was only 15, playing against some college players and very low handicap golfers, and he was pretty nervous.

I'm watching and thinking how bad this could be if he can't get control of his nerves. After about four shanks in a row, he looked at me helplessly. I knew it was all nerves, so I told him pretty much the same thing that Cheech Marin told Costner in Tin Cup. I had him move the tees out of his right pocket to his left pocket, then I told him to hop on one foot and bark like a dog. He immediately smiled and got the reference. He finally calmed down and played a decent round.

It's amazing how important the mental side of the game is in golf. It's amazing how often you "program" yourself for failure. Your last thought as you stand over the ball, positive or negative, very often influences your outcome. If you're thinking to yourself "don't hit it in the water", you greatly increase your chances of doing so.

Redlegs23
03-14-2009, 09:04 AM
I don't play a bunch, probably about 20 times a year. But the last couple of years I have noticed a trend. The first few rounds every year I play fairly well, and I get progressively worse every round. Not sure if I'm developing bad habits or what, but towards the end of the summer I always have a couple rounds where I flat out struggle to hit anything with accuracy. I think this year I'm going to finally get some long overdue lessons (I'm 25). Any suggestions for getting reasonably priced lessons in Cincinnati?

Redhook
03-14-2009, 09:37 AM
I don't play a bunch, probably about 20 times a year. But the last couple of years I have noticed a trend. The first few rounds every year I play fairly well, and I get progressively worse every round. Not sure if I'm developing bad habits or what, but towards the end of the summer I always have a couple rounds where I flat out struggle to hit anything with accuracy.

It's amazing what expectations can do to a golfer. My first round of the year is usually one of my best because I have no expectations, my mind is clear, and I'm just thrilled to be playing the game again.

As the season goes on, our minds tend to get overloaded with information and we think we should be much better than we are. That combo leads to poor results. Plus, a swing flaw or two will become more of a habit as the season goes on.

I think this year I'm going to finally get some long overdue lessons (I'm 25). Any suggestions for getting reasonably priced lessons in Cincinnati?

Me. :D

Redlegs23
03-15-2009, 04:59 PM
It's amazing what expectations can do to a golfer. My first round of the year is usually one of my best because I have no expectations, my mind is clear, and I'm just thrilled to be playing the game again.

As the season goes on, our minds tend to get overloaded with information and we think we should be much better than we are. That combo leads to poor results. Plus, a swing flaw or two will become more of a habit as the season goes on.

Me. :D

Do I get a Redszone discount?

MWM
03-16-2009, 05:47 PM
I'll give a great big endorsement to Redhook. I spent about an hour with him late last summer. And while I'm still far from where I'd like to be, I played some of the best golf of my life afterwards. I've struggled with the tendency towards weak fades for quite some time. He was able to show me pretty quickly what was causing it and very clearly showed me how to start drawing the ball. I've been drawing it ever since. My consistency will need to improve, and long winters don't help, but I'm drawing everything now. So I'm much better off now than I've ever been. You better believe I will be going for a return visit when I'm back in town.

Redhook
03-16-2009, 07:32 PM
I'll give a great big endorsement to Redhook. I spent about an hour with him late last summer. And while I'm still far from where I'd like to be, I played some of the best golf of my life afterwards. I've struggled with the tendency towards weak fades for quite some time. He was able to show me pretty quickly what was causing it and very clearly showed me how to start drawing the ball. I've been drawing it ever since. My consistency will need to improve, and long winters don't help, but I'm drawing everything now. So I'm much better off now than I've ever been. You better believe I will be going for a return visit when I'm back in town.

Thanks Mike!

You need to move away from Minnesota so you can play golf for more than 2 months a year. That would probably help with your consistency. You'd probably be a scratch.

I look forward to working with you again this year. I definitely want to try to play together as well. Maybe we can get another Redszoner or two to join us? Who's in?

MWM
05-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Well, they've spent hour after hour together hitting thousands of balls, going through drill after drill. I want to say they've been working together like 9 months.

Looks like the same guy to me.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4170059&categoryid=2378529

SunDeck
05-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks Mike!

You need to move away from Minnesota so you can play golf for more than 2 months a year. That would probably help with your consistency. You'd probably be a scratch.

I look forward to working with you again this year. I definitely want to try to play together as well. Maybe we can get another Redszoner or two to join us? Who's in?

I get over to Cincinnati pretty often. I'd be up for a round.

On Barkley- that recent swing video looks a little better than the swing I've seen from him. Obviously, he's still MAJOR problems, but it does look like he's improved. In fact, the videos I saw of him from a year or two ago looked like a guy actually trying to make his swing look impossibly messed up.