PDA

View Full Version : Good News for Opening Day...

mroby85
02-28-2009, 12:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-mets-santana&prov=ap&type=lgns

Santana's start could be in jeapordy with stiffness in his elbow!

Ghosts of 1990
02-28-2009, 12:39 PM
This is AWESOME NEWS! I've been dreading it for a while b/c I knew Santana was starting and that would mean us starting 0-1

Captain Hook
02-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Its not like we're throwing Paul Wilson out there on opening day.I think with the staff the Reds have this year they will take their chances no matter who's pitching for the other team.Don't get me wrong though,it would be nice to miss Santana.

RedLakerFan24
02-28-2009, 04:57 PM
its never good when a player gets injured, i never wish injury or get happy when a player gets injured, i rather beat santanan than any other pitcher

mroby85
02-28-2009, 05:15 PM
its never good when a player gets injured, i never wish injury or get happy when a player gets injured, i rather beat santanan than any other pitcher

My theory is i'd rather beat the mets, and the probability of that increases when you subtract Santana. Therefore a Santana injury is good for the Reds. It's nothing personal.

goreds2
02-28-2009, 07:16 PM

+ 1

reds1869
02-28-2009, 08:12 PM
My theory is i'd rather beat the mets, and the probability of that increases when you subtract Santana. Therefore a Santana injury is good for the Reds. It's nothing personal.

Seconded. In the majors a win is a win no matter how you get it.

Ghosts of 1990
02-28-2009, 08:23 PM
I'd rather start 1-0 and not face a tough lefty. Are you nuts?

schmidty622
02-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Wishing for injury? That's pretty low.

reds1869
02-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Wishing for injury? That's pretty low.

It's not wishing for injury. It's simply not being heartbroken that one has occurred. It's not like anyone is starting their daily prayers with "please let Santana's arm fall off," but they're not praying for him to pitch on Opening Day, either.

Shaknb8k
02-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Its not like we're throwing Paul Wilson out there on opening day.I think with the staff the Reds have this year they will take their chances no matter who's pitching for the other team.Don't get me wrong though,it would be nice to miss Santana.

Ohh how soon we forget. Paul Wilson, New York Mets and a dominate pitcher were all a part of one of the best days on the face of this earth in recent Cincinnati Reds history. April 4, 2005. The Reds are up against a dominate pitcher (Pedro that time), and should have definatly been written off once that pitcher recorded 12 K's, but the game was hardly over.

When you face a pitcher like Santana or Pedro on Opening Day the expectations are low even in Cincinnati. So they have nothing to lose. Win or lose its only one game, yeah its Opening Day, but make sure you keep it in perspective.

By the way, off subject, but isnt the Tuesday following Opening Day always the LONGEST day because there is no game. I love Opening Day but its almost like a tease.

Edit: Just a little note I just saw. The Reds won on Opening Day in '19, '40, '75, '76, and '90.... so maybe it is a big deal?

mroby85
02-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Ohh how soon we forget. Paul Wilson, New York Mets and a dominate pitcher were all a part of one of the best days on the face of this earth in recent Cincinnati Reds history. April 4, 2005. The Reds are up against a dominate pitcher (Pedro that time), and should have definatly been written off once that pitcher recorded 12 K's, but the game was hardly over.

When you face a pitcher like Santana or Pedro on Opening Day the expectations are low even in Cincinnati. So they have nothing to lose. Win or lose its only one game, yeah its Opening Day, but make sure you keep it in perspective.

By the way, off subject, but isnt the Tuesday following Opening Day always the LONGEST day because there is no game. I love Opening Day but its almost like a tease.

Edit: Just a little note I just saw. The Reds won on Opening Day in '19, '40, '75, '76, and '90.... so maybe it is a big deal?

I agree, the Tuesday between just stinks, it's never made sense to me to have a day off that soon, with the season being so long, and the breaks being so few throughout it.
The opening day stat you found, if we win great, if not we're due to win one, without winning on opening day ;) lol

redsfan1966
03-01-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm sure you all already know this---but the Tuesday off day is just in case the Opener is postponed for any reason. I dont look at the Santana injury as good news....having the Redlegs face one of the top leftys in all of baseball makes Opening Day even that much more exciting for me...

TheNext44
03-01-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm sure you all already know this---but the Tuesday off day is just in case the Opener is postponed for any reason. I dont look at the Santana injury as good news....having the Redlegs face one of the top leftys in all of baseball makes Opening Day even that much more exciting for me...

Completely agree. I always want to face the best the other team has to offer. If you are not confident you can beat anyone, then why play the game?

Ghosts of 1990
03-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Completely agree. I always want to face the best the other team has to offer. If you are not confident you can beat anyone, then why play the game?

cmon. I'm a huge Reds fan but if you're 'confident we can beat anyone' you aren't being objective anymore.

I want to miss as many tough starters this entire season as we can, of course I do. :confused:

Am I missing something? It's more important to me starting the season with a win then to see Johan Santana throw against us. Why are we debating this?

And its not wishing an injury; Schmidty............ :rolleyes:

It's simply being relieved that we might get to face a righty on opening day instead of a tough lefty.

mroby85
03-01-2009, 04:34 PM
cmon. I'm a huge Reds fan but if you're 'confident we can beat anyone' you aren't being objective anymore.

I want to miss as many tough starters this entire season as we can, of course I do. :confused:

Am I missing something? It's more important to me starting the season with a win then to see Johan Santana throw against us. Why are we debating this?

And its not wishing an injury; Schmidty............ :rolleyes:

It's simply being relieved that we might get to face a righty on opening day instead of a tough lefty.

X2, The only time I feel the way people have above, is if I think they have one of the best teams in baseball, and don't fear anyone. Thats not the case with this team in my opinion. I much prefer to see an opening day win for the Reds, than Johan.

$1 Hot Dog
03-03-2009, 12:19 AM
I agree a little with both sides here because I want a win more than anything. BUT every single year I think that we have an awesome team (definitely more now than in the recent years) and nobody can change my mind on that except for the Reds. I think it would be amazing to see Harang come back to form and out-duel somebody like Santana. I want a win as much as everybody else, trust me. If we are going to be a good competitive team this year though we will have to prove that we can beat anybody on any day. If you think that going against Santana is a guaranteed loss then maybe you just trust your team as much as I do. The Reds need to start beating on pitchers that are that good in order to open some eyes ( like the Cliff Lee vs. Volquez game last year.)

bounty37h
03-03-2009, 12:55 PM

Exactly MRoby, the bigger picture!!!! :beerme: