PDA

View Full Version : Dunn to play in WBC

forfreelin04
03-01-2009, 05:13 PM
PER, MLB.COM

VIERA, Fla. -- Nationals first baseman/outfielder Adam Dunn has decided to represent Team USA in the World Baseball Classic.
The news was announced after Dunn went 1-for-2 with a walk against the Orioles on Sunday afternoon.

Dunn is in his first season with the Nationals after signing a two-year, $20 million contract.

Bill Ladson is a reporter for MLB.com This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

(I'm not a huge Dunn fan, but I will root for him in the WBC)

George Foster
03-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Do the ML baseball teams have any say in this? Can they refuse to let them play? Especially pitchers?

goreds2
03-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Do the ML baseball teams have any say in this? Can they refuse to let them play? Especially pitchers?

That is a good point. I would predict that in future contracts, there will be constrants regarding WBC play.

Dunn will make it interesting for sure.

SoTxRedsFan
03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Teams can't keep players from playing unless they are injured.

reds1869
03-01-2009, 09:06 PM
MLB organizes and runs the WBC. They require member clubs to release players for the competition.

REDblooded
03-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Why is this relevant here? Isn't this a Reds board?

goreds2
03-02-2009, 12:01 AM

" The Sun Deck
General baseball discussion for those without Old Red Guard posting access "

;)

Orodle
03-02-2009, 02:53 AM

well its a former Reds player, a baseball board, and concerning team USA.

Orodle
03-02-2009, 02:54 AM
PER, MLB.COM

VIERA, Fla. -- Nationals first baseman/outfielder Adam Dunn has decided to represent Team USA in the World Baseball Classic.
The news was announced after Dunn went 1-for-2 with a walk against the Orioles on Sunday afternoon.

Dunn is in his first season with the Nationals after signing a two-year, $20 million contract.

Bill Ladson is a reporter for MLB.com This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Didnt team USA already have a full roster as of last week? Was there an injury to one of their outfielders?

goreds2
03-02-2009, 03:34 AM
PER, MLB.COM

It may need updated but Dunn does not show up on the roster.

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/rosters/index.jsp?team=usa&season=2009

REDblooded
03-02-2009, 05:39 AM
really needs to be a 12 step program for Dunn fanboys imo

DannyB
03-02-2009, 09:47 AM
It may need updated but Dunn does not show up on the roster.

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/rosters/index.jsp?team=usa&season=2009
Someone got hurt.

Eric_the_Red
03-02-2009, 09:52 AM
I believe Hawpe was removed.

REDblooded
03-03-2009, 12:02 AM
anybody have any great Brandon Larson updates? we need more former reds threads...

Eric_the_Red
03-03-2009, 12:25 AM
anybody have any great Brandon Larson updates? we need more former reds threads...

I hear Larson and Willie Greene are shopping a sitcom pilot called "Two Thirds and a Half Men" about two former ballplayers raising a precocious young boy and the hijinks that, inevitably, ensue. Jerry Narron will play the wacky neighbor. I hear The CW is interested.

Jack Burton
03-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Do they use a DH in the WBC?

bounty37h
03-03-2009, 01:50 PM

NO, from my understanding, MLB has stated that teams are not allowed to interefere with the WBC and its players/rosters, tell players they cant play. I dont understand it, I certainly wouldnt want my million dollar arms out there risking injury for nothing.

bounty37h
03-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Do they use a DH in the WBC?

Yes, they said Votto will be Canadas DH

goreds2
03-03-2009, 05:05 PM
I just turned on the game on the MLB Network (TEAM USA vs Yankees)

Dunn was playing first base in the 8th inning. It is now in the 9th.

goreds2
03-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Today, Dunn has two walks and a homerun against Team Canada.

(Votto is 3 for 4 with a homerun)

The game is currently on ESPN.

goreds2
03-08-2009, 04:07 AM
The game is currently on ESPN.

This game is currently being replayed on ESPN2.

goreds2
03-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Dunn is 1 for 2 with a walk and two runs scored thus far tonight.

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2009_03_08_usaint_venint_1

AccordinglyReds
03-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Dunn homered to make it 11-5

Nasty_Boy
03-09-2009, 12:30 AM
I think Dunn has reached base in 7 of 9 plate apperances and he's been a key part in most of Team USA's rallies.

Dunn has sure been getting a ton of love from ESPN.

goreds2
03-09-2009, 12:43 AM
I think Dunn has reached base in 7 of 9 plate apperances and he's been a key part in most of Team USA's rallies.

Dunn has sure been getting a ton of love from ESPN.

ESPN did say that Dunn stated this is his "playoffs" since he has never been in one.

RedLegsToday
03-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Adam Dunn, American hero

goreds2
03-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Dunn has two more hits tonight in a losing cause thus far.

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2009_03_14_usaint_purint_1

EV4Prez
03-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Adam Dunn leaves here and actually works out in the off season, and loses weight.. something he never did significantly while he was being paid here.. makes me hate the man even more..

redsfanmia
03-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Adam Dunn leaves here and actually works out in the off season, and loses weight.. something he never did significantly while he was being paid here.. makes me hate the man even more..

Amen

Jerome
03-15-2009, 03:09 PM
The still-burning hatred of Adam Dunn in Redszone borders on creepy, almost obsession--always good for a laugh. :confused:

Nasty_Boy
03-15-2009, 03:13 PM

That's garbage... He was in great shape last season, and the year before that he was coming off of knee surgery which would affect anyone's conditioning. Not only that, but the guy played in 150+ games every freaking season and produced, so I would call the guy out of shape.

EV4Prez
03-15-2009, 03:15 PM
not as creepy as the fact that people actually wanted to pay the man 15 or 16 mil a year..

I still like to hit home all of his faults because while he was here people ignored all of these things, and told us how he would be one of the hottest commodities on the market, and fetch close to 17 mil a year.. and if we could lock him up for 15 or 16 mil a year it would be soo dumb not to..

EV4Prez
03-15-2009, 03:25 PM
That's garbage... He was in great shape last season, and the year before that he was coming off of knee surgery which would affect anyone's conditioning. Not only that, but the guy played in 150+ games every freaking season and produced, so I would call the guy out of shape.

you are actually saying because he played in 150 games he was in shape.. I guess I should clarify... round is not a shape baseball players should be in.. except maybe tony gwynn because he was good enough to prolong his career even after he let himself go..

being in shape isnt the only thing that matters.. but when it is inhibiting your performance because you choose to make millions and not workout, it is an issue.. I am close to wishing the reds would demand their money back..

I dont expect him to be in shape like ken griffey of 92.. but to tell me he couldnt have a body like josh hamiltons except 2 inches taller.. is just accepting his non-effort.. if he took training seriously like a pro athlete should he would be in that mold..

Jerome
03-15-2009, 04:27 PM
you are actually saying because he played in 150 games he was in shape.. I guess I should clarify... round is not a shape baseball players should be in.. except maybe tony gwynn because he was good enough to prolong his career even after he let himself go..

being in shape isnt the only thing that matters.. but when it is inhibiting your performance because you choose to make millions and not workout, it is an issue.. I am close to wishing the reds would demand their money back..

I dont expect him to be in shape like ken griffey of 92.. but to tell me he couldnt have a body like josh hamiltons except 2 inches taller.. is just accepting his non-effort.. if he took training seriously like a pro athlete should he would be in that mold..

Just curious, where are you getting your information on Adam Dunn's annual offseason workout regiment and diet, and if you can't provide this, could you please be more specific on his workout regiment, because certainly, just stating his weight and build doesn't automatically prove anything about it.

To say that Adam is/was "round" doesn't make sense. Prince Fielder is round. Charles Barkley is round. David Wells is round. Adam Dunn is not round.

And as far as his contract, 10 million in a recessionary market ain't too shabby. It's been a terrible contract year for most free agents, but that's repeating the obvious. People didn't ignore all his faults while he was here, as you imply. People like you have always slandered Dunn. You like to point out his faults as if he's the only player that had faults. The man was one of the only reasons we didn't finish last in the NL Central every year. If you're looking for faults in Reds players, start with the laundry list of worthless players that have occupied roster spots since Y2K, not one of the better ones.

And I still want a detailed essay on Dunn's workout regiment for at least the last five years. 300 word minimum, and don't forget to put your name on it.

Nasty_Boy
03-15-2009, 11:45 PM
That Dunn fella looked outta shape "rounding" the bases again tonight!

JBChance
03-16-2009, 02:16 AM

Dunn did have a base running blunder tonight, though. In the 5th, he was on third (bases juiced) when Granderson hit a wormburner up the first base line. Randall Simon flopped on it and practically rolled it down to the catcher. Dunn, for some reason, froze at third base and was out by at least 10 feet. He should have scored or, at the very least, there should have been a close play.

My father-in-law, who,BTW, doesn't know who Dunn is, was yelling "Who is that clown. He has no idea what he's supposed to do!" I just sat there and said nothing because he was right. That was clearly a ground ball and Dunn should have broke for home from the get go. Oh well.

That being said, if the US keeps advancing, he has a shot to be the MVP, definitely for the US. He had another HR in the 6th and finished 2 for 4. He's batting .538 w/ 3HR's for the tournament so far.

Jerome
03-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Dunn did have a base running blunder tonight, though. In the 5th, he was on third (bases juiced) when Granderson hit a wormburner up the first base line. Randall Simon flopped on it and practically rolled it down to the catcher. Dunn, for some reason, froze at third base and was out by at least 10 feet. He should have scored or, at the very least, there should have been a close play.

My father-in-law, who,BTW, doesn't know who Dunn is, was yelling "Who is that clown. He has no idea what he's supposed to do!" I just sat there and said nothing because he was right. That was clearly a ground ball and Dunn should have broke for home from the get go. Oh well.

That being said, if the US keeps advancing, he has a shot to be the MVP, definitely for the US. He had another HR in the 6th and finished 2 for 4. He's batting .538 w/ 3HR's for the tournament so far.

That one-hopper was a heck of a play by Simon though. Very cat-like. Considering it was in his glove right almost after contact and the throw was immediate (albeit a weak one) to home, I think even Rollins would have been out on a close play. Simon got a standing O from the US crowd. Who knows what Dunn was thinking, but because it was so sharply hit and landed right before the infield dirt, maybe his initial thought was Simon might pick it. I don't know, I didn't see him freeze though. I know he isn't fleet of foot.

goreds2
03-16-2009, 05:11 PM
As Marty B. always said about Dunn, "He is what he is".

Nasty_Boy
03-16-2009, 05:50 PM
The problem is Marty has no idea what he is. Many times I've heard Marty say that Adam Dunn isn't a run producer, so I guess 100+ RBIs and 100+ runs isn't producing runs.

DannyB
03-16-2009, 06:07 PM

He looked pretty trim to me.

Nasty_Boy
03-16-2009, 07:13 PM
He looked pretty trim to me.

Forgot to put the *sarcasm* alert in there. :beerme:

JBChance
03-16-2009, 11:27 PM
That one-hopper was a heck of a play by Simon though. Very cat-like. Considering it was in his glove right almost after contact and the throw was immediate (albeit a weak one) to home, I think even Rollins would have been out on a close play. Simon got a standing O from the US crowd. Who knows what Dunn was thinking, but because it was so sharply hit and landed right before the infield dirt, maybe his initial thought was Simon might pick it. I don't know, I didn't see him freeze though. I know he isn't fleet of foot.

They played back a wide angle shot that showed he froze about 3 or 4 steps from the bag. When the ball was hit, I immediately thought it would score a run - it was too low to be caught. It was a nice play by Simon, but a bad play by Dunn. Should have been a close play at the dish.

Randall Simon very cat-like?

:laugh:

Ghosts of 1990
03-16-2009, 11:56 PM
The problem is Marty has no idea what he is. Many times I've heard Marty say that Adam Dunn isn't a run producer, so I guess 100+ RBIs and 100+ runs isn't producing runs.

+1!

Marty sees what he wants to see and is a biased observer! Come on folks.

Ghosts of 1990
03-16-2009, 11:58 PM

Dunn is a frickin' stud that does things in this game no one else can do. He hits a ton of home runs and plays every day and while he's not without his black eyes, to not realize his unique value is realy a sin!

TheNext44
03-17-2009, 04:45 AM
As Marty B. always said about Dunn, "He is what he is".

Which is funny, because I think a lot of Reds fans say the same thing about Marty. :D

Jerome
03-18-2009, 04:21 PM
What does everyone think the Redszone ratio of Dunn-bashers to Dunn-supporters is? Or another way of of putting it, dumb fans to smart fans? :) 1:1?

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

mroby85
03-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Dunn is a frickin' stud that does things in this game no one else can do. He hits a ton of home runs and plays every day and while he's not without his black eyes, to not realize his unique value is realy a sin!

I'm usually in agreement with the views that you share on the board, but I really feel Dunn is highly overrated as an overall baseball player. He can hit the longball with the best of them, but I think there are too many holes in his game to be considered elite, such as his defense, and strikeouts, but this is nothing that hasn't been covered a millions times before on the board, so i'm not really sure why i'm posting it again, lol. That's just my view on him.