PDA

View Full Version : Jon Kitna traded to the Dallas Cowboys

Handofdeath
03-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Yesterday, it was announced that the Cowboys traded starting CB Anthony Henry to the Lions for QB Jon Kitna.

Interesting trade that I like very much as a Cowboys fan. I certainly don't want a 41 year old Brad Johnson backing up Tony Romo.

Any thoughts Bengals fans?

camisadelgolf
03-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Kitna's a mediocre-at-best starter, very good backup, and a great character guy. It's a trade that made sense for both teams, I think.

UKFlounder
03-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Kitna is an awful starter, mediocre at best backup - see 2005 and his performance against Pittsburgh. Maybe he's better than what Dallas had, but he's very, very, average on his best days. Weak arm, and not a great decision maker - he's experienced, but mostly at losing

Highlifeman21
03-02-2009, 08:27 AM
IMO, good backup for Tony Romo, and given their locker room he could be just what they need.

Anthony Henry seems like a lot to give up for Jon Kitna, however.

NJReds
03-02-2009, 11:29 AM
IMO, good backup for Tony Romo, and given their locker room he could be just what they need.

Trading a starter for a backup doesn't make sense on the surface, but in a salary cap world, it makes some sense.

Henry slowed down a bit this season. He has one year left on his deal. The Cowboys got some cap space with the deal, and can probably replace him with someone like Sean Springs at a lower cost.

Although I would've rather seen them deal Roy Williams (the safety), but I don't think anyone wants him.

I can't believe the Giants are paying Canty so much. He's making more than Tuck and Umenyiora. In baseball terms, Canty is a "replacement level player" but now he's getting paid like a star.

WVRed
03-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I can't believe the Giants are paying Canty so much. He's making more than Tuck and Umenyiora. In baseball terms, Canty is a "replacement level player" but now he's getting paid like a star.

Look at the Albert Haynesworth deal. Teams are getting ready for football without a salary cap and this is a blatant example.

That being said, Kitna is low risk high reward. I've always liked Kitna from his time in Cincinnati. He doesn't have the rocket arm of a Carson Palmer, but he is still a solid QB who can thrive in the right situation.

Handofdeath
03-02-2009, 04:55 PM

Despite playing in 3 more games in 2008 than he did in 2007 his interceptions dropped from 6 to 1 and his passes defensed dropped from 13 to 5. Not to mention he's 32. Big contracts sometimes makes for lazy athletes.

Eric_the_Red
03-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Just for fun...

Kitna in the playoffs
0-2
54.4 QB %
2 TD passes

Romo in the playoffs
0-2
53.8 QB %
2 TD passes

;)

cincrazy
03-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Kitna will be good as a backup to Romo. Now if he's your starter, you'll have some issues. He'll play great for 9/10th's of the game and then make one of the worst throws you've ever seen. But I like him backing up Romo.

ninjashoes
03-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Just for fun...

Kitna in the playoffs
0-2
54.4 QB %
2 TD passes

Romo in the playoffs
0-2
53.8 QB %
2 TD passes

;)