morande
03-02-2009, 07:05 PM
thanks

morande
03-02-2009, 07:10 PM
ken broo just reported it also 5 years 40 million 15 guarnteed

joshnky
03-02-2009, 07:29 PM
A very valuable player but you hate to give guaranteed money to a receiver in his thirties. Given the quality at QB I think a marginal player (Coles??) could come in and produce close to what TJ was providing for less guaranteed money. Just look at Wes Welker with Tom Brady.

redsfandan
03-02-2009, 07:33 PM
It's a shame. Outside of Palmer, TJ has been the best, and most reliable, player for a couple years. Now Palmer will have Chad (for now) and Chris Henry to throw to. Two high risk, high reward players. Well, hope it works out for TJ.

WMR
03-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Bengals should've placed the franchise tag on him and gotten a 2nd round pick for him from somebody. Best FA wide receiver and they let him go for nothing. Typical Bungles.

UKFlounder
03-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Nice move by the Bengals - TJ produces yards and points, which contribute to wins. Getting rid of him helps ensure the Bengals reach their goal of suckitude again.

But, hey, at least they re-signed Chris "on the streets because no team wants me" Crocker and stud LBs like Rashaad Jenty. Those guys may not make many sacks, INTs or any big plays, but at least they take up roster spots.

If we add them to Dee Dee Dorsey, and a couple bottom-feeder scrub FAs, they have a shot of 3 or 4 wins next year.

Congrats to the Bengals - pro-active free agency at its finest.

CTA513
03-02-2009, 08:23 PM
The Bengals made a more than fair offer and TJ wanted more money.

KoryMac5
03-02-2009, 08:31 PM
The Bengals made a more than fair offer and TJ wanted more money.

I think the Bengals offer was very fair just wish they would have offered it to him before last season began.

KoryMac5
03-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Nice move by the Bengals - TJ produces yards and points, which contribute to wins. Getting rid of him helps ensure the Bengals reach their goal of suckitude again.

But, hey, at least they re-signed Chris "on the streets because no team wants me" Crocker and stud LBs like Rashaad Jenty. Those guys may not make many sacks, INTs or any big plays, but at least they take up roster spots.

If we add them to Dee Dee Dorsey, and a couple bottom-feeder scrub FAs, they have a shot of 3 or 4 wins next year.

I think Crocker looked pretty good for someone who came off the streets, but I get where you are coming from on this. The Bengals are constantly shopping at the five and dime while the rest of the league is visiting Nordstrom's. I'm not saying I want Mike Brown to go Al Davis crazy but at least lets start shopping at Target.

UKFlounder
03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Admittedly, my post was a bit of venting and not pure logic, but it's pretty much "same old same old" for my god-forsaken team.

I should be smart enough to know what's happening and not get upset, but I'm obviously not...

joshnky
03-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Even without TJ, the Bengals will be fine at receiver given who they have at QB. They just need to worry about both lines and the running back spot.

toledodan
03-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Admittedly, my post was a bit of venting and not pure logic, but it's pretty much "same old same old" for my god-forsaken team.

I should be smart enough to know what's happening and not get upset, but I'm obviously not...

i feel your pain. its getting harder and harder to root for them each year. the only saving grace for me the last few years was living in areas that had worse teams.(toledo-detroit lions & overland park-chiefs)of course i've got to listen to all the blowhard cheif fans brag about their new front office and QB. i would be happy with just a new front office.

Mario-Rijo
03-02-2009, 09:22 PM
I don't care who replaces him (Coles, Henry, Caldwell) they won't do a better job than what he did, at what he did. That said we can win w/o TJ but we need to start with a much better running game. Hopefully we can p/u Ward and Coles, Benson needs a reality check.

Playadlc
03-02-2009, 09:54 PM

Crocker was a solid signing. I don't really care how he ended up in Cincinnati, he showed me that he can be one of the better defenders the Bengals have.

Right now, the Bengals have to find a center. This team got horrible play for this position last year and an upgrade is absolutely essential. I don't think it is any coincidence that the offense started going south after Rich Braham (who is one of the most underrated lineman in the history of this organization) retired. I would prefer Eric Wood over anybody in the FA pool, but they can't bank on Wood being there. This position is too important and I don't want to see them forced on draft day to find a starting center. Maybe go get a versatile guy like Mike Goff to give them some options in case you can't land a Wood type player. Of course, Birk would be nice as well.

I am kinda glad the Bengals didn't end up getting TJ. I love TJ, but that's a pretty big chunk of change to give up for a 32 year old WR. I do believe the Bengals will get Coles, though.

cincrazy
03-02-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm happy that the Bengals pushed so hard. I'm not comfortable with giving him the kind of money Seattle did. With T.J. going to Seattle, and T.J. leaving Cincy, I could see Michael Crabtree landing in the Queen City...

Eric_the_Red
03-02-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm happy that the Bengals pushed so hard. I'm not comfortable with giving him the kind of money Seattle did. With T.J. going to Seattle, and T.J. leaving Cincy, I could see Michael Crabtree landing in the Queen City...

Please, Lord, no.

Handofdeath
03-02-2009, 10:07 PM
A very valuable player but you hate to give guaranteed money to a receiver in his thirties. Given the quality at QB I think a marginal player (Coles??) could come in and produce close to what TJ was providing for less guaranteed money. Just look at Wes Welker with Tom Brady.

Tom Brady didn't make Wes Welker. The Patriots traded a 2nd and 7th round to the Dolphins to get Welker.

joshnky
03-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Tom Brady didn't make Wes Welker. The Patriots traded a 2nd and 7th round to the Dolphins to get Welker.

I don't care what they traded for him. With a great QB a player like Welker went from average stats (67 receptions, 687 yards) to the Pro Bowl. The same thing can happen with Palmer.

RedFanAlways1966
03-02-2009, 10:47 PM
I am kinda glad the Bengals didn't end up getting TJ. I love TJ, but that's a pretty big chunk of change to give up for a 32 year old WR.

Amen. No offense to TJ, but 30-something receivers fall off quickly. Best of luck to him in Seattle.

Get Palmer help on the line. WRs are a dime a dozen. Give a good QB time and he will hit average to good WRs who will have time to get open. Look at the 1988-89 Bengals. Boomer Esiason, Eddie Brown, Cris Collinsworth, Tim McGee, Ira Hillary, Rodney Holman, Mike Martin. None of them were great, some of them were very good. They were made very good by the time allowed by the O-line and the running game (Ickey and Brooks) threat created by great line blocking.

Line, line, line. Could have gotten some help by trading Chad to WASH for those draft picks. But Mikey kept the WR. With your leader out of most of the year (thanks to zero protection), didn't matter if Jerry Rice and Tim Brown were on the team in their prime. It all starts up front. Spend the money in the trenches.

cincrazy
03-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Please, Lord, no.

I agree. I'm certainly not vouching for it. But Mike Brown thinks pretty wins football games. The man has no sense of football in the trenches, unfortunately.

blumj
03-03-2009, 01:48 AM
I don't care what they traded for him. With a great QB a player like Welker went from average stats (67 receptions, 687 yards) to the Pro Bowl. The same thing can happen with Palmer.
Except Welker didn't make the Pro Bowl when he was playing with Brady, he made it playing with Matt Cassel. Miami's QBs weren't just average when Welker was there, they were awful.

bucksfan2
03-03-2009, 09:20 AM
I think the Bengals offer was very fair just wish they would have offered it to him before last season began.

TJ would have laughed at the offer had the Bengals offered it to him last season. He was looking for big dollars but was surprised about the lack of interest and big time money coming after him. IMO the Bengals did the right thing. TJ's decision came down to $5M more guaranteed money that the Seahawks offered him. If TJ lives to see the end of that contract I will be very very surprised. You don't find too many 37 year old WR's in the league.

SunDeck
03-03-2009, 10:56 AM
TJ was one of my favorite Bengals of all time, a great story of a guy who no one gave so much as a second look to, but who became a well respected receiver in the NFL. He's tough, makes catches and then does things once he gets the ball.

However, football games are not won by receivers. It doesn't matter whether the Bengals have him or not if Palmer's going to spend his time running away from the defense. Much as I loved to watch Housh, he was just looking for too much money and I am happier if the Bengals spend on the line rather than on marquee receivers.

All I want is a team that pushes the other team towards their end zone constantly. Do that by recruiting big, strong, smart lineman on both sides of the ball. Provide holes to run through and time for Palmer and it doesn't much matter who he hands off and throws to. The key is to spend time in the other team's end of the field more than in your own. Do that and the yardage, points and wins will follow.

UKFlounder
03-03-2009, 03:09 PM
If I thought the Bengals were going to use TJ's salary to upgrade the line, I might not disagree with that, but if the choice is to have either a bad OL and TJ or a bad OL without TJ, I'd rather have him than not.

There were a couple of decent centers available as free agents, and none ever mentioned the Bengals or visted.

As bengals.com has pointed out several times, their priorities were to re-sign TJ and re-sign Benson. They have so far failed on both.

Now Rex Grossman is going to come for a visit. They do need a backup QB, but I think improving the line, the RB situation and the WR situation, as well as improved defense all should take priority over that.