PDA

View Full Version : Last Few Spots for Opening Day Roster

eastkyred
03-04-2009, 12:17 PM
It seems to me that there are only 4 spots up for grabs for the opening day roster. (assuming everyone is healthy. Could easily turn in to 5 or 6 depending on the status of Bray and Gonzalez) Assume for now, they are healthy. With 13 everyday players, 5 starters, and 7 bullpen arms we can assume:
everyday - Bruce, Taveras, Votto, Phillips, Gonzalez, EE, Hernandez, Hairston, Dickerson, Hannigan, and Keppinger.

Starters - Cueto, Harang, Arroyo, Volquez

Relief - Cordero, Burton, Weathers, Bray, Rhodes, Lincoln

That leaves 2 bench spots, 1 starter, and 1 relief man(probably long). Who do you guys see gettings these spots? Who are you pulling for?

I'd like to see Gomes and Ward fill the bench spots. (left and right handed power, also Gomes getting some starts in left against left-handed pitching)
Bailey or Owings is going to get the 5th spot in the rotation. If bailey gets it, I think Owings will still make the team out of the bullpen. If Owings wins the starting spot, I could see Masset getting that long relief role with Bailey going to AAA.

Jerome
03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Owings, Gomes, Ward, Little Norris Hopper

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com/2009/02/25-man-roster-prediction.html

redhawk61
03-04-2009, 01:22 PM
I will actually say Bray starts the year on the DL, and Herrea gets his lefty spot to start the year.

Bailey in the rotation, Owings in the pen. Gomes and Nix(my surprise) off the bench

Cincyfan4ever
03-04-2009, 01:32 PM
What about Ramon Hernandez? Wouldn't he start over Hannigan?

Cant Touch This
03-04-2009, 01:55 PM
I could see Dusty keeping Jacque Jones over Hopper.

Captain Hook
03-04-2009, 01:58 PM
I'd like to see Gomes and Ward fill the bench spots. (left and right handed power, also Gomes getting some starts in left against left-handed pitching)
Bailey or Owings is going to get the 5th spot in the rotation. If bailey gets it, I think Owings will still make the team out of the bullpen. If Owings wins the starting spot, I could see Masset getting that long relief role with Bailey going to AAA.[/QUOTE]

This is just about how I see it unfolding.Gomes imo is just about a lock considering it looks like he will now not only see time in the OF but be the back up at 1B.Ward seems like he would be a nice fit taking over Javies spot pinch hitting but seeing little time in the field.I think Baily wins the 5th spot and Owing goes to the pen.

Nasty_Boy
03-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Why keep Norris? He and Willy are the same player. Keep a guy like Ward that gives something different. We need a little diversity. :D

schmidty622
03-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Also Ward and Gomes are the only guys that can play a little 1st base if Votto needs a rest.

Nasty_Boy
03-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Well Gomes is trying to play 1st base. The other day was the first time he had played the position in a game. I would think Kepp would be better served as a RH replacement if the need should arise...hopefully it doesn't.

eastkyred
03-04-2009, 06:15 PM
I cant see how Ward isn't kept. Without him, we litterally have no left handed bats off the bench on the days Dickerson starts. He also, as Redsfever09 said, requires very few, if any, starts. He's a pro pinch hitter, and that's the role he is used to playing.