PDA

View Full Version : The World Baseball Classic ... Who Cares?

adampad
03-04-2009, 12:20 PM
The players do. International fans do. I do.

I am getting sick of people on radio shows and internet forums bashing the World Baseball Classic (WBC). They also say the same lame excuses, "What if our players get hurt?" "They should be training with their teams, gelling." "No one cares." "The games don't matter."

Give me a break. Players get hurt in spring training too. Of course you don't want your good pitchers (Volquez, Cueto, and Cordero in the Reds case) going out and throwing too many innings under stress, but that shouldn't happen since these teams are well managed.

As for teams "gelling", its a bunch of crap. Baseball may be a called team sport, but its much more based on individuals. It's not often you have to work together in baseball. Other than the pitchers and catchers working together for a little while, I could care less if any of the other players ever spoke to one another. These guys are pros. They know how to play baseball, they have been doing for a while. Spring trainging is about kicking off the dust, and playing in the sand.

An of course "No one cares." and "The games don't mean anything." Please, please, don't mistake your opinion for the everyone else's. As a baseball fan, I really don't see what there is not to like. It's baseball. It's quality baseball with some of the best players in the world. And its games DO mean something to the players and fans. The games are lively, the fans are passionate, and the players care. That is unlike 90% of the regular season of MLB. I would even go as far to say, I would rather watch the WBC finals more than the World Series (unless the Reds somehow mananged to get there).

Ghosts of 1990
03-04-2009, 12:52 PM
I"m unfortunately on the other side of the fence

Jerome
03-04-2009, 01:09 PM
I think if you have two teams of equal potential, but on one team they all hate each other and on the other team they all like each other, I think the latter team will generally come out ahead in the end. There's something to say about chemistry in baseball. Sorry.

I like the WBC because of the fun matchups, an All-Star circus of sorts, but I could give a rats arse who actually wins. If the USA doesn't win, who cares? If Dominicana wins, I don't care. Most people don't care who wins it. It's the spectacle that's fun to watch. I would never watch the WBC over the World Series, couldn't even imagine attempting to do it.

Bronson Arroyo vs. the Netherlands today. I don't know what is more of a spectacle than that.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

bounty37h
03-04-2009, 02:02 PM
I dont care 2 cents about the WBC, I only care when its done and our players are back on our team. I love USA Baseball, I go to at least 6 USA games every summer here in Durham-those players love it, and I would argue waaay more then the MLB players that are in the WBC. Dont confuse country pride for the Domincans, and getting out of Spring Training drills and workouts for them all loving the actual event. As far as your gelling arguement, I think our 3 pitchers and brand new catcher to our team would get more out of ST working together then they will this series. I appreciate that you enjoy it, and doubt everyone doesn't like it, but coming on here bashing people for bashing, is well, bashing :)

Eric_the_Red
03-04-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm looking forward to it as well. ST is long enough for position players, and to me, the WBC games are more interesting than your standard ST games. Neither count for much of anything, but at least with the WBC games I get to see stars play and fewer AA guys.

nineworldseries
03-04-2009, 03:03 PM
I can't bring myself to care at all. I'd rather watch more Spring Training games.

mroby85
03-04-2009, 03:09 PM
"As for teams "gelling", its a bunch of crap. Baseball may be a called team sport, but its much more based on individuals. "

A less true statement has never been made, in my opinion.
But I would prefer the classic over spring training games, just from a viewing standpoint, however, I see the concern people have with it.

Orodle
03-04-2009, 03:29 PM
I love the WBC. The international fans get it, In the last WBC the games in the other countries were intense. Flags flying, crowds chanting, almost like a soccer crowd. Then when the games in the US started the crowd seemed more like they were watching a movie than a team representing their country. The other countries played the games like baseball was ment to be played, putting MLB caliber shortstops at firstbase for defensive substitutions..... players not complaining because their country was bigger than their ego. Then team USA played their games like exhibition games.....every player getting a turn, trying to not "diss" anyone.....selecting a manager like Buck Martinez. Basically a team that represented all the softness that our society here has developed into. It was a joke and embarrasing, especially to me where the guys who lived across the hall from me in my college dorm were exchange students from various caribean countries.

This means a lot more to me than spring training. Spring training is watching the highest talent in the world "go through the motions". No one cares if they win or lose.

And as for the case that WBC players will get hurt.......if you look at the facts the same percentage of WBC players that were hurt matches the % of players that were hurt and not played in the WBC.

During this era where baseball has been doing things wrong time after time I believe this is the first thing Bud Selig has gotten right, the next best thing during his reign is the new MLB Network.

Ghosts of 1990
03-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I can't bring myself to care at all. I'd rather watch more Spring Training games.

+1

adampad
03-04-2009, 04:41 PM
The international fans get it, In the last WBC the games in the other countries were intense. Flags flying, crowds chanting, almost like a soccer crowd. Then when the games in the US started the crowd seemed more like they were watching a movie than a team representing their country. The other countries played the games like baseball was ment to be played, putting MLB caliber shortstops at firstbase for defensive substitutions..... players not complaining because their country was bigger than their ego. Then team USA played their games like exhibition games.....every player getting a turn, trying to not "diss" anyone.....selecting a manager like Buck Martinez. Basically a team that represented all the softness that our society here has developed into.

I agree 100% with this. The atmosphere was electric in the latin american countries. Attendance and TV ratings where much high than expected as well in 2006.

I just can't figure out, what some people don't like about it. Its baseball, played at a high level. The crowds and atmosphere is unlike anything we as Reds fans have seen. You don't have washed up players being played because they have overpaid contracts.

Please explain why you guys would rather watch spring training where guys are just going through the motions (basically a glorified practice). Is it to see how the Reds young players will react in (practice) situations against others? If so, I'd much rather see how Volquez handles pitching a playoff caliber game with his heart and the crowds into it. Did you guys watch any of the games back in 2006? They were great! Give it a chance. I can't say I really care who wins, but I love watching good baseball especially with vocal crowds (unlike most Reds games).

bounty37h
03-04-2009, 05:00 PM
^I wouldnt rather watch ST games, I want them to get through ST and start the real games of the new season, thats what means something to me. The WBC is a glorified exhibition when it all boils down, so some teams will take games more serious then others, so that takes it down to that level to me. Get a real commisioner who cares and will fight to get baseball back in the Olympics, that is where international competition will interest me and mean something. This simply doesnt, other then its baseball-obvious.

reds1869
03-04-2009, 05:26 PM
I love the WBC. I don't buy any of the arguments against it other than someone simply not liking the tournament. Dislike out of disinterest I accept, the other reasons I do not.

Eric_the_Red
03-04-2009, 05:38 PM
^I wouldnt rather watch ST games, I want them to get through ST and start the real games of the new season, thats what means something to me. The WBC is a glorified exhibition when it all boils down, so some teams will take games more serious then others, so that takes it down to that level to me. Get a real commisioner who cares and will fight to get baseball back in the Olympics, that is where international competition will interest me and mean something. This simply doesnt, other then its baseball-obvious.

But it's not like there wouldn't still be a ST without the WBC. So, why would anyone prefer to watch ST games? Why wouldn't a baseball fan be for the WBC in March? The other option is no WBC, a regular ST. Boring.

improbus
03-04-2009, 07:45 PM
I love watching the contrasting styles. I love watching the Japanese pitchers and hitters and their unique styles. I love the Latin American infielders. I love the Canadians trying to upstage the US. I really love seeing players that shine and then make their way to the big leagues (ala Daisuke M.) Good stuff all around.

redsfan1966
03-04-2009, 10:04 PM
I have become ambivalent towards the WBC. I was stoked in '06 for it---but really dont care about it this year. I will watch, mainly those games with the US and Dominican teams, but thats it...last time I was up at 4:30 am watching WBC games---this time, no chance...

davereds24
03-04-2009, 11:15 PM
look at the USA roster, it's a joke. that's why so many people don't care.

adampad
03-04-2009, 11:38 PM
The USA roster is joke? Looks decent to me. It includes 2 MVPs from the last two seasons and would have had 3 of the 4 if Arod had decided to play for USA. David Wright, Grady Sizemore, Jake Peavy, Joe Nathan, Jimmy Rollins, and on and on. Its not a college team we are putting out there. You take the latin players out of the MLB and your talent pool goes down pretty quick.

MVP sidenote: The AL has had only 3 American born MVP's since 1996, besides Arod.

Captain Hook
03-05-2009, 02:03 AM
I love the WBC. The international fans get it, In the last WBC the games in the other countries were intense. Flags flying, crowds chanting, almost like a soccer crowd. Then when the games in the US started the crowd seemed more like they were watching a movie than a team representing their country. The other countries played the games like baseball was ment to be played, putting MLB caliber shortstops at firstbase for defensive substitutions..... players not complaining because their country was bigger than their ego. Then team USA played their games like exhibition games.....every player getting a turn, trying to not "diss" anyone.....selecting a manager like Buck Martinez. Basically a team that represented all the softness that our society here has developed into. It was a joke and embarrasing, especially to me where the guys who lived across the hall from me in my college dorm were exchange students from various caribean countries.

This means a lot more to me than spring training. Spring training is watching the highest talent in the world "go through the motions". No one cares if they win or lose.

And as for the case that WBC players will get hurt.......if you look at the facts the same percentage of WBC players that were hurt matches the % of players that were hurt and not played in the WBC.

During this era where baseball has been doing things wrong time after time I believe this is the first thing Bud Selig has gotten right, the next best thing during his reign is the new MLB Network.

I don't think you realize the point you actually made.The people that care most about this event are the one's outside the USA.They are not the one's that pay top dollar to see these guys play a full season of MLB and buy the hats and Jersey's(at least not at the prices we pay).

I do not hate the WBC but I do feel that it is more marketing of baseball then a baseball competition.The one thing that I do think is a joke is that a lot of these guys playing for their national teams are American citizens and in a few cases have never even lived in the countries they represent.I imagine that this is the only way some of these countries can field a decent team.

davereds24
03-05-2009, 04:40 AM
The USA roster is joke? Looks decent to me. It includes 2 MVPs from the last two seasons and would have had 3 of the 4 if Arod had decided to play for USA. David Wright, Grady Sizemore, Jake Peavy, Joe Nathan, Jimmy Rollins, and on and on. Its not a college team we are putting out there. You take the latin players out of the MLB and your talent pool goes down pretty quick.

MVP sidenote: The AL has had only 3 American born MVP's since 1996, besides Arod.

Sizemore and Nathan are not on the team. The infield is the only part of this team that is great.

adampad
03-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Sizemore only recently pulled out due to soreness in his groin. I was unaware of that. And Nathan wanted to play but is unable to because of a "nagging injury". Not sure when that happened either.

bounty37h
03-05-2009, 12:18 PM
I love the WBC. I don't buy any of the arguments against it other than someone simply not liking the tournament. Dislike out of disinterest I accept, the other reasons I do not.

Why dont ya buy it? I think they are all very valid points actually.

bounty37h
03-05-2009, 12:21 PM
But it's not like there wouldn't still be a ST without the WBC. So, why would anyone prefer to watch ST games? Why wouldn't a baseball fan be for the WBC in March? The other option is no WBC, a regular ST. Boring.

I dont care about ST for the games one bit, its called training for a reason, fancy term for practice, which helps teams improve-wonderful concept for a team like the Reds who were so fundamentally crappy the last several seasons...The games are just to break up the routine of it against same players, introduce live game situations, etc, not the game or team itself. ST isnt for the fans, even many of us enjoy it.

Eric_the_Red
03-05-2009, 01:12 PM
And the players can't "train" in WBC games but they can in ST games? I don't get it. Besides, the players in the WBC are mostly stars that don't need the same training as lesser players and prospects.

bounty37h
03-05-2009, 02:59 PM
so the stars shouldn't go to ST next year then when there isnt a WBC, cause they dont need it? Ever consider the other players that arent stars would benefit from more practice with the stars then, and make the TEAM stronger if they are on the same page? No, the focus of the WBC is a quick set tourney play; fundamentals aren't the focus at all. If you dont think there isnt a player on the Reds that needs basic fundamental improvement, well, i just wonder if you have even watched them play before?

Orodle
03-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't think you realize the point you actually made.The people that care most about this event are the one's outside the USA.They are not the one's that pay top dollar to see these guys play a full season of MLB and buy the hats and Jersey's(at least not at the prices we pay).

I do not hate the WBC but I do feel that it is more marketing of baseball then a baseball competition.The one thing that I do think is a joke is that a lot of these guys playing for their national teams are American citizens and in a few cases have never even lived in the countries they represent.I imagine that this is the only way some of these countries can field a decent team.

I dont think you get my point. The point is they are representing their countries.

Not a baseball competition? Watch the Japan vs China game last night? The only team not acting as if this is big is USA.

Orodle
03-05-2009, 03:10 PM
so the stars shouldn't go to ST next year then when there isnt a WBC, cause they dont need it? Ever consider the other players that arent stars would benefit from more practice with the stars then, and make the TEAM stronger if they are on the same page? No, the focus of the WBC is a quick set tourney play; fundamentals aren't the focus at all. If you dont think there isnt a player on the Reds that needs basic fundamental improvement, well, i just wonder if you have even watched them play before?

After the first week of ST there is no focus on fundamentals for the rest of the season.

elfmanvt07
03-05-2009, 03:15 PM
so the stars shouldn't go to ST next year then when there isnt a WBC, cause they dont need it?

You think Albert Pujols forgets how to hit over the offseason? If you were to give him about a dozen choppy grounders and an afternoon of BP, he'd be good to go.

elfmanvt07
03-05-2009, 03:19 PM
To respond to the original topic, I'm overjoyed at the return of the WBC. I'm so glad that it exists outside of the Olympics, and hope that it eventually becomes the World Cup of baseball. I picked up the China/Japan tilt this morning in about the middle of the 6th. I love watching the styles of the different nations.

bounty37h
03-05-2009, 03:30 PM
After the first week of ST there is no focus on fundamentals for the rest of the season.

I am including playing as a team as fundamental, something that has been missing with the Reds. I just dont like the format of bringing them in to camp, then letting some go a few days later, and then expect it all to gel back together in 3 weeks or however long this thing lasts. I am not agianst the classic, jsut dont like how it is set up. I love the international play-as I have said before, I go to all the collegiate level USA games every year, just wish they would do it different.

bounty37h
03-05-2009, 03:33 PM
You think Albert Pujols forgets how to hit over the offseason? If you were to give him about a dozen choppy grounders and an afternoon of BP, he'd be good to go.

But would all his team around him be? Maybe, I dont know. But, he is a part of that team, so I feel needs to be there with them then going through it with them. Just my opinion. And I dont care about Pujols, I care about the 3Reds starting pitchers in the WBC, our new starting catcher who def needs time with this staff to get used to them as well as hopefully improve as a catcher, our first basemen.......

bounty37h
03-05-2009, 03:37 PM
To respond to the original topic, I'm overjoyed at the return of the WBC. I'm so glad that it exists outside of the Olympics, and hope that it eventually becomes the World Cup of baseball. I picked up the China/Japan tilt this morning in about the middle of the 6th. I love watching the styles of the different nations.

I love the different styles too, I go to several USA games every season. Why dont ya want it back in the Olympics though-which specialize in international play and gets more attention and might be taken more seriously then this tournament is?

Spazzrico
03-05-2009, 04:30 PM
I love the different styles too, I go to several USA games every season. Why dont ya want it back in the Olympics though-which specialize in international play and gets more attention and might be taken more seriously then this tournament is?

Here's one answer. Because imagine the Reds being in a playoff race. (I know this will require a bit of mental energy). And then you have two of your top starters and your starting catcher depart for the WBC. Sure other teams are affected too, but the Reds in particular would be F'd if it were mid-season. This is why U.S. Olympic baseball didn't feature MLB players.

bounty37h
03-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Here's one answer. Because imagine the Reds being in a playoff race. (I know this will require a bit of mental energy). And then you have two of your top starters and your starting catcher depart for the WBC. Sure other teams are affected too, but the Reds in particular would be F'd if it were mid-season. This is why U.S. Olympic baseball didn't feature MLB players.

Ahh, i see where your going, and that rewinds me to my earlier posts saying I would like it to be Olympic ball and not be MLB players as it was intended in the first place. For those wanting to see MLB players, they have this thing called the MLB where they play full, long seasons to catch them:)

Captain Hook
03-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Please explain why you guys would rather watch spring training where guys are just going through the motions (basically a glorified practice). Is it to see how the Reds young players will react in (practice) situations against others? If so, I'd much rather see how Volquez handles pitching a playoff caliber game with his heart and the crowds into it. Did you guys watch any of the games back in 2006? They were great! Give it a chance. I can't say I really care who wins, but I love watching good baseball especially with vocal crowds (unlike most Reds games).

I don't think that very many of us are saying that we would rather watch a ST game.I think that many fans are just worried about the future of players in the franchise(mostly pitchers)that they are fans of being handled by a manager and playing for a country that don't pay them a cent.The Reds wouldn't hesitate to sit anyone on their team out of a ST or even regular season game to protect a player from potential injury. I know this for a fact.Can anyone say the same for the WBC coaches?

JBChance
03-07-2009, 05:06 PM
USA vs. Canada on right now. Pretty entertaining game - (3) dingers by team USA

- Votto is really seeing the ball well. He's DHing for Canada and is 2 for 3 with a HR.

- Dunn is playing well of the US: 1 for 1 with 2 walks and a 2 run HR.

- Youkilis is really playing well too.

I'm not sure about the bullpen for the US - a lot of guys I'm not familiar with currently.

If games continue like this, I'll probably keep watching.

Another HR for Canada as I type this. Exciting game.

goreds2
03-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Yes, great game thus far!

goreds2
03-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Votto is 4 for 5 in the game. Dag gone him! ;)

goreds2
03-07-2009, 06:05 PM
USA wins 6-5 with Votto stranded at second. :beerme:

adampad
03-07-2009, 06:13 PM
I just caught the end of the game. Great AB by Votto. He looked like he crushed that ball, but his bat broke. The crowd seemed very into the game, the players where also very into it. This is great stuff.

Volquez got beat by the Netherlands today as well.

redsfan1966
03-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Excellent game....dang good start to keep USA fans and Votto fans, by the way, interested....oh got to give props and grats to the Dunner...

jmac
03-07-2009, 06:50 PM
I just caught the end of the game. Great AB by Votto. He looked like he crushed that ball, but his bat broke. The crowd seemed very into the game, the players where also very into it. This is great stuff.

Volquez got beat by the Netherlands today as well.
Edinson was hurt by some shaky defense and had a lengthy second. He finished strong though and only allowed 1 ER.

improbus
03-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Great intensity. That will be the best atmosphere Votto plays in all year:(

jmac
03-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Great intensity. That will be the best atmosphere Votto plays in all year:(

Maybe not. ;)

goreds2
03-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Davey johnson wins where ever he manages and he will here.

JBChance
03-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Watching a bit of USA vs. Venezuela

US started blowin' it open with an 8 run 6th.

Currently 14 to 5 with 26 hits.

Wright, Youkilis, and Dunn (another HR today - he's batting .750) are absolutely unconscious so far. Pretty much most of the team, actually.

Lots of hitting makes for some entertaining games, thus far.

Pitchers, including a bunch of good ones, are being hammered. Maybe its early, so they haven't gotten their location down, yet?

goreds2
03-09-2009, 12:49 AM
If I am reading the schedule correctly (Pool C), it looks like USA plays on Wednesday night 6:30pm est. on the MLB Network.

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/schedule/

redsfan1966
03-09-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm into the WBC now, they won me over....just disappointed that I now wont be able to see Wednesday's game...

Eric_the_Red
03-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Agreed. I'm really digging the WBC, and I'm sure I'll be even more entralled as the rounds progress.

Kingspoint
03-10-2009, 02:27 AM
I care as much about the WBC as I do women's professional basketball. I have nothing against either, though. It just doesn't raise any of the excitement meters for me.

goreds2
03-10-2009, 06:35 AM
Canada was eliminated by Italy last night. :eek:

Votto ended up having 5 hits in 9 at bats in the two games.

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/stats/index.jsp?team=wbc

gilpdawg
03-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Votto is going to have a breakout year I believe. He just looks like the kind of guy who can roll out of bed and hit.

Caveman Techie
03-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Count me in the group of people who are enjoying the WBC this year. It has been fun to watch some of these young players from countries not usually known for producing top-tier talent surprise people.

bigredmechanism
03-11-2009, 02:18 PM
WBC is a great thing. Last night's matchup (Dominican/Netherlands) bolstered this point; this was truly a great game. Unfortunately, the USA players are at an odd time in the year for them to be going 100%, so there will always be that factored into our team. That notwithstanding, we've looked pretty good so far. obviously, we haven't had to play a team on the level of Japan or Korea. Thank God the Dominican's are finished, and as a bonus, our guys are also come home.

I haven't posted here too much, and certainly not in a while, but this thread among others caught my intrigue.

/Just my $0.02

goreds2
03-11-2009, 04:29 PM
TORONTO -- Team Venezuela will meet the U.S. at Rogers Centre on Wednesday (Tonight) to determine the winner of Pool C at the 2009 World Baseball Classic. The tilt, which will be the final game played in the first round in Toronto, is set for 6:30 p.m. ET. (MLB Network)

http://mlb.mlb.com/wbc/2009/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090310&content_id=3960280&vkey=wbc&team=usa&lang=1

DTCromer
03-11-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm surprised more people didn't hope Canada would lose so Votto could get back to Spring Training faster just like last year when everyone was hoping Miami (Fl) would lose as soon as possible so we could sign Alonso in September. :lol:

goreds2
03-11-2009, 11:21 PM
USA loses 5-3 tonight.

Next game:

Sat., Mar. 14
United States vs. Puerto Rico 8:00pm est. MLB Network

Jack Burton
03-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Didn't United States already beat Venezuela? I thought this was round robin play.

JBChance
03-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Didn't United States already beat Venezuela? I thought this was round robin play.

4 teams, double elimination. US beat them 15 - 6 the first time on an 8 run 6th. Just the way the pool worked out. Venezuela played (and beat) Italy twice, also.

Jack Burton
03-12-2009, 07:44 PM
From what I remember about round robin tournaments, each team faces each other once. If records are tied there is a criteria to determine winner, ie: most runs scored.

goreds2
03-15-2009, 09:42 PM
USA leads 3-0 early.

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2009_03_15_nedint_usaint_1

Stephenk29
03-15-2009, 11:43 PM
USA's game got interesting!

NeilHamburger
03-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Judging by the packed house tonight in Miami it seems WBC fever is running wild. I mean they were just stacked on top of each other. I haven't seen a crowd like that since Montreal. 6,000 in a 60,000 seat stadium always looks good.

JBChance
03-16-2009, 02:29 AM
Judging by the packed house tonight in Miami it seems WBC fever is running wild. I mean they were just stacked on top of each other. I haven't seen a crowd like that since Montreal. 6,000 in a 60,000 seat stadium always looks good.

I think that a lot of people, except baseball fans, don't really understand what or who the WBC is about. I was at a family get-together and my wife's dad and uncle had NO CLUE what it was or who was playing in it. The one guy kept saying that it was incredibly boring and that no one was in the stands. I tried to explain who's playing but they couldn't understand, with spring training started, how MLB players were playing.

I kept saying things like "Look. There's Derek Jeter" or "That's Roy Oswalt pitching." But, they couldn't (or wouldn't) understand the premise. They just didn't care.

I, personally, like the fact that I can watch major leaguers play on TV this time of year.

goreds2
03-16-2009, 02:43 AM

Come on, give credit where credit is due. ;)

A crowd of 11,059 watched Oswalt set an early tone on Sunday.

NeilHamburger
03-16-2009, 04:04 AM
I was making fun of it earlier, but really everything in the US should be played in minor league parks. 11,000 looks a lot better in a 25,000 seat park. You could probably do the finals in a bigger park.

forfreelin04
03-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Funny, how yesterday every sports news site was throwing fire on the USA about their blowout loss. This morning I had to hunt just for a recap on Yahoo/ESPN. Internet journalism at its finest.

JBChance
03-17-2009, 01:23 AM
I watched Puerto Rico vs. Venezuela tonight.

I thought the crowd was a lot more energetic and into the game than last night.

Venezuela got some good pitching and timely hitting to come away with the win. K-Rod put 'em away at the end. They were extremely pumped up.

Puerto Rico looked like someone just kicked their dog. It'll be an uphill battle for the US tomorrow, Imo.

The HR tonight was by our catcher, Hernandez. He had a good night w/3 hits and the dinger. I'm conflicted by it because, while it's good to see him play and hit well, I'd probably be happier if they were knocked out and he was back, getting to know our starters. They're on to the semis, so we'll have to wait.

mroby85
03-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Awesome ending with US and Puerto Rico, USA advances on David Wright walkoff single down the line.

will5979
03-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Bye Gawd I'm caring about the WBC right now, I feel proud to be an American after that great game tonight. Extra incentive for me to keep an eye on the semi-finals is that one of my commie, liberial, ******r friends wants Japan to win this thing...I tell him this is our game and American deserves more than any team to be the champs!

sabometrics
03-18-2009, 12:28 AM
The U.S. and Puerto Rico just finished in thrilling fashion. Too bad no one will ever know about it because the game was only available on MLBtv and ESPN Deportes ...

Root Down
03-18-2009, 12:47 AM
The U.S. and Puerto Rico just finished in thrilling fashion. Too bad no one will ever know about it because the game was only available on MLBtv and ESPN Deportes ...

I saw a few minutes of it on MLBN. Glad to hear we picked up the W! I was a little bummed when we lost to them the other day.

Blue
03-18-2009, 12:56 AM
I was keeping up with the game on Gameday, which was dreadful. I just saw the highlights. My word, how bad is Derek Jeter on defense? He looked absolutely geriatric out there. No way should he be playing shortstop over Jimmy Rollins.

They've got to get all of these games on television next time. I realize its hard to do during March with postseason college basketball and whatnot, but these games should be seen. Its like watching a cross between the Olympics and playoff baseball. People should love this!

goreds2
03-18-2009, 01:11 AM

The video highlight is on this link:
http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090317&content_id=4007230&vkey=wbc&team=usa

Wednesday night:

Wed., Mar. 18

United States vs. Venezuela
7:00pm est MLBN, ESPN Deportes MLB.TV

Redlegs82
03-18-2009, 01:20 AM
I quit watching gameday after the 8th, damn it.

Go USA!!:beerme:

Root Down
03-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Who wound up winning in the Korea Japan game? Couldn't stay up to watch it. Those crowds never stop cheering.

sabometrics
03-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Korea won 4-1. Darvish gave up 3 runs in the first and Korea never let go. It's a shame too, Darvish pitched amazing after that, but the Japanese bats just got shut down. You're right about the crowds - there were only like 15,000 people on hand, but it sounded more like 30,000 people.

bounty37h
03-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Bye Gawd I'm caring about the WBC right now, I feel proud to be an American after that great game tonight. Extra incentive for me to keep an eye on the semi-finals is that one of my commie, liberial, ******r friends wants Japan to win this thing...I tell him this is our game and American deserves more than any team to be the champs!

What in the world is a liberial ******r friend?

reds1869
03-18-2009, 08:08 PM

If you are in the Huntington-Charleston area I think we many have a mutual friend as we talked about that very thing last week when he was in Cincinnati. I love Japan but want them to finish second to the US personally. If we bow out I'll cheer for them whole-heartedly.

will5979
03-19-2009, 09:31 AM
What in the world is a liberial ******r friend?

One of those "know it alls" that likes to sip on coffee at an upity coffee house, puts down "cheap" gas station coffee or fast food, that goes around quoting words and phrases that no one knows the meaning to, that questions EVERY single thing that America and society has ever done (I really think that he does all this to compensate for his lack of self esteem), and most horribly claims that Japan is better at baseball than America. For this he wants Japan to beat America in the final game.

Kingspoint
03-19-2009, 06:04 PM
One of those "know it alls" that likes to sip on coffee at an upity coffee house, puts down "cheap" gas station coffee or fast food, that goes around quoting words and phrases that no one knows the meaning to, that questions EVERY single thing that America and society has ever done (I really think that he does all this to compensate for his lack of self esteem), and most horribly claims that Japan is better at baseball than America. For this he wants Japan to beat America in the final game.

You mean Frazier Crane?

Blue
03-19-2009, 07:27 PM

I think your friend might be Japanese.

Eric_the_Red
03-19-2009, 07:50 PM
I think your friend might be Japanese.

Is he one of The Vapors? :p:

/obscure 80's band reference

Jack Burton
03-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Dunn put together quite the blooper reel yesterday.

Kingspoint
03-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Nobody cares about the WBC. It's a waste of time.

JBChance
03-21-2009, 02:57 AM

Obviously, not the case.

Although I'm not a fan of the timing of the tournament, I'm not sure when else you would have it.

sabometrics
03-21-2009, 04:55 PM
I think millions upon millions of people in Korea, Japan, the Carribean, and Latin America would vehemently disagree with you. But most Americans are too preoccupied by listening to the media pick apart the tournament to realize that by every measure thus far it has been a resounding success everywhere but North America.

goreds2
03-22-2009, 02:40 PM
USA vs. Japan tonight at 8pm est. ESPN :thumbup:

reds1869
03-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I think millions upon millions of people in Korea, Japan, the Carribean, and Latin America would vehemently disagree with you. But most Americans are too preoccupied by listening to the media pick apart the tournament to realize that by every measure thus far it has been a resounding success everywhere but North America.

See also: World Cup. I've never understood why so many people think liking something the rest of the world enjoys makes you somehow unamerican. Exceptionalism for exceptionalism's sake.

redsfan1966
03-23-2009, 09:24 AM
I now dont care about the WBC........until the next one..:)

I also have come to the conclusion that spring training is the best time for the WBC, despite the worries about injuries and getting players ready for the regular season.

JBChance
03-24-2009, 02:13 AM
Great game between S. Korea and Japan tonight.

S. Korea just tied it up in the ninth. Two out, two on and a run down - real exciting. It's been a tight game all the way.

I've never seen these two play, but I have to admit, they're impressive, at least tonight.

The fans are absolutely rabid; chanting, cheering on every pitch. There's a stadium in S. Korea FILLED with fans watching on a 16 hr time difference.

At the minimum, those fans wanting to see what real defense is, should watch these teams. The defense has been absolutely outstanding tonight. The SS for the S. Korean squad is amazing.

I was going to bed early tonight, but I'm staying up for this one. It just went to extra innings.

K30
03-24-2009, 01:15 PM
i thought that the game last night was great. Defending WBC champions vs Olympic gold Medal winners. I was pulling for Japan to win since I'll be living there come may and was kinda upset they blew it in the 9th, but i was glad to see ichiro come though once again in the 10th with the double. all in all i think we had a really good WBC this year..hopefully next time our Team USA wont be so injury proned

Eric_the_Red
03-24-2009, 03:40 PM
I'd like to see the WBC go to a 2 year rotation. I really, really enjoyed this year's games.

RED VAN HOT
03-24-2009, 06:15 PM
The takeaway for me on the WBC was how fundamentally sound the Asian teams were. They defend, they run, they make good contact, they execute well in situations. They are good all around athletes. There may be valid reasons why the US team did not play better. Still, I think this event provided lessons in how to put together a winning team.

JBChance
03-25-2009, 02:35 AM
The takeaway for me on the WBC was how fundamentally sound the Asian teams were. They defend, they run, they make good contact, they execute well in situations. They are good all around athletes. There may be valid reasons why the US team did not play better. Still, I think this event provided lessons in how to put together a winning team.

The defense from both squads, last night, was phenomenal. Running the bases must be a nightmare vs. either team's backstop.

The end of the game was kind of a letdown, though. After a dramatic comeback in the ninth, the S. Korean manager pitched to Ichiro with guys on 2nd and 3rd w/ 2 outs. Obvious IBB if there ever was one. Ichiro already had 3 hits and kept fouling pitches off until the pitcher served up a big, fat cheeseball and he drove it into center. I still can't believe they pitched to him. I guess don't know enough about their traditions. Is it dishonorable to walk him or something?

Oh well, overall I think the WBC is a success - great teams, great baseball.

Captain Hook
03-30-2009, 01:45 AM
I still do not like this.I know its over and it was great and all but what did it prove?How many games did Japan win against good teams to become WBC champs?I bet if the Reds win as many in the month of April they will be in last place.The WBC was just a fix because none of us have watched a meaningful game in a while but for the most part it was a waste of time.

Ghosts of 1990
03-30-2009, 02:50 AM
UH, It's over. Lets lock this thread! It just won't die! :D

will5979
03-30-2009, 10:17 AM
UH, It's over. Lets lock this thread! It just won't die! :D

This is the very reason I believe that the U.S. lost this tournament, because America just doesn't care about baseball anymore and its sad.

Example: I am teaching PE at a Jr. High and on a day when it is 70 degress and sunny out so I take the boys out to play baseball. 15% were happy. 10% were pissed cause they had to go outside. 20% was begging me to let them stay in the gym and play basketball (which by the way was a dumb sport created to keep BASEBALL athletes in shape during the winter), and finally 55% were begging me to let them play football instead. When I was a kid we enjoyed playing baseball from the time we got up until we HAD to come inside, not that we wanted to come inside but because WE HAD TO.

bounty37h
03-30-2009, 03:32 PM
I now dont care about the WBC........until the next one..:)

I also have come to the conclusion that spring training is the best time for the WBC, despite the worries about injuries and getting players ready for the regular season.

I have an idea, how bout the Olympics for Olympic baseball :)?

Kingspoint
08-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Another reason not to care about the WBC.

If America doesn't watch, they won't have the tournament.

Boston Red
08-04-2009, 12:27 AM
I still enjoy the WBC. It's the only chance for Reds to play in meaningful games.