PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else gettin' giddy?

Kingspoint
03-05-2009, 06:01 PM
These starters for the REDS are throwing goose eggs, and doing it without the walks. That's all I want out of the first week of Spring Training, other than for everyone to get/stay healthy.

After one week in, I've got to give the club an A+ in the positive factor.

Great start. Next up....Bray getting healthy, Gonzo getting in the field, and starting pitching continuing to excel.

xavr1
03-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Good post. I'm right there with ya. Nothing like a positive ST to get the fan base excited. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we have the same enthusiasm in May

UPRedsFan
03-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Homer's performance so far is what has me giddy.

4 innings and 6 K's and I think only 1 hit and 1 walk. Has he really turned it around?

Could we be looking at our Hudson, Mulder, Zito of a few years back or Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine of the early nineties?

I'm ready for a summer of 3-2 and 2-1 victories. Hey, just realized the games will be shorter too and I won't get yelled at as much by the Mrs. for spending too much time watching the Reds!

DTCromer
03-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Not really. It's only spring training, but it's a positive step for Homer.

jmac
03-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Around mid Febuary, I always start getting giddy ! ;)

Eric_the_Red
03-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Too early to be "giddy". Slightly hopeful, I suppose. Not in a tizzy yet, but possibly merry. Definitely sanguine. But giddy? Nah.

Mr.MojoRisin
03-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Around mid Febuary, I always start getting giddy ! ;)

Me too. Nothing like ST to start the baseball fever.

Ghosts of 1990
03-06-2009, 02:19 AM
its been fun so far! Just stay healthy and the rest will fall into place I think. The talent will shine. Just stay healthy (PLEASE)!

I am very excited.

Root Down
03-06-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm starting to get revved up but I'll get a lot more into it when I see games on TV. Though, this season in particular should be interesting. It's been a while since we've seen a team without Jr. and Dunn (not that that is a good or bad thing). I am very interested to see how their replacements perform. Basically replacing Jr. with a speedy defensive CF in combination with good pitching should add a new element to Reds baseball. Don't get me wrong, Jr. was/is my favorite player but the changes we will see in this season have sparked my interest.

Ohioballplayer
03-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Giddy, revved up, yeah I ma all of these I cant wait til the Reds come north, I am hoping (like every year) that The Reds show chemistry and back each other up, we have GOOD pitching, and solid D, speed, and HR Power, now let it "click"

bounty37h
03-06-2009, 01:06 PM
I HAve been getting more and more excited, but after getting 4 inches of snow this past Sunday night here, it is in the 70s today and a BEAUTIFUL spring day here in Carolina, so I def have the fever!!!!!

mlh1981
03-06-2009, 06:47 PM
I was ready for this the day after the regular season. Reds baseball is my true passion. Football just passes the time.

BearcatShane
03-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Every year, no matter how bad we are projected to be, at about this time I get giddy for the Reds. About a month ago I was sure that this was going to be the year that my excitment for the Reds upcoming season was going to dwindle a bit because maybe in my mind ownership did not do the things I hoped for. But, as the weather is starting to warm up in the queen city and as Spring Training is getting into full gear, I am, once again, giddy for the Reds and Opening Day. Griffey and Dunn are gone, I like where this team is heading, I love the young nucleus, I think we can outscap teams on a daily basis and be known as a pesky little team. Cueto could bust out, Bruce might hit 30, Harang just might revert to his old form, maybe it's EE's time to shine, maybe we win 90 games. Maybe not. But I'm ready for April 6th. Lets hope this young but talented group can bring this proud franchise back to the promised land.

mroby85
03-07-2009, 01:49 AM
X2

Ghosts of 1990
03-07-2009, 03:13 AM
29 days til the opener!

JBChance
03-07-2009, 03:40 AM
I used to get excited every spring when opening day was coming. I'd be talking with my family, planning for some game trips, arguing with my sister about the Yankees, debating the off-season with my dad....

Then, year after year, our beloved team smashed our optimistic hopes like driftwood against the rocks, like glass against a stone wall, like a sledgehammer on china......

My Dad wouldn't even talk about it with me; he would just say "BS" when I would try say some positive things about the team. My wife didn't want our boys to grow up rooting for a loser. It went on and on.....

Then, this year, a few things start to turn our way; the pitching staff improves, we have some younger talent, there are some potential guys in the minors. My dad actually asks me if I want to see a game or two. My wife buys my sons a Reds outfits. The Yankees show signs of suckitude ;)

So yeah, I'm starting to perk up. There seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. We could compete.

I just can't seem to get too worked up, though. It just seems we are just too many pieces short to contend this year.

But, I'm at least hopeful. That's something.

CWRed
03-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Can we all make a deal and agree that the words "small ball" will not ever be uttered again on this board?

"Scrappy" is still acceptable. For now.

:D

redsfanmia
03-07-2009, 08:23 PM
This team is still going to hit home runs so I dont know why everyone is thinking they are going to have to play small ball all the time. Bruce will hit 20+, Phillips will hit 25+, EE will hit 20+, Votto could hit 30+, Hernandez and Gonzalez if healthy will hit 15-20. As long as the Reds play in the monstrosity called Great American Band Box they will hit home runs.

xavr1
03-08-2009, 09:02 AM
This team is still going to hit home runs so I dont know why everyone is thinking they are going to have to play small ball all the time. Bruce will hit 20+, Phillips will hit 25+, EE will hit 20+, Votto could hit 30+, Hernandez and Gonzalez if healthy will hit 15-20. As long as the Reds play in the monstrosity called Great American Band Box they will hit home runs.

I agree 100%. Its not as if the loss of Griffey somehow means we suddenly cant hit HRs. In fact, I would be SHOCKED if he hits more than 25 in Seattle. Our kids can swing for power! I dont like that we have established this theme in Cincy that its all about speed and no power in 09. Sure, we'll miss Dunner's 40 bombs, but as you mentioned, there are plenty of young bats to pick up the slack.

CarolinaRedleg
03-08-2009, 09:58 AM
After seeing what Votto did yesterday, plus the early reports on Homer, yeah.

I'm cautious because of recent history, but I can't help but be optimistic this time every year.

WildcatFan
03-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Grand slam number five came today, so that's encouraging. Especially when you look at who hit them: Craig Tatum, Chris Valaika, Johnny Gomes, Jerry Hairston and Darnell McDonald. The other side of that is that it means not only are the Reds hitting home runs, there are people on base when they hit them (I know, I know, it's just spring training. Give a guy something to grab hold of).

Griffey012
03-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I am pretty much pumped about everything, except for the bullpen right now. I am a little worried about Coco's ankle for the time being but I am confident there is plenty of time the season. Also, I can't recall a time where we have a solid 1-8 in the batting order with no automatic outs. Sure Taveras isn't great, but he brings a dimension we havent had, Ede, BPhil, Bruce, Votto all have chances for good to great seasons. AGon, Hairston, Dickerson, and Hernandez/Hanigan aren't studs at the plate but they all can definitely handle the stick with some pop. No more Bako's, CPatt's, Castro's, etc makes me giddy in itself.

jmac
03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
I am pretty much pumped about everything, except for the bullpen right now. I am a little worried about Coco's ankle for the time being but I am confident there is plenty of time the season. Also, I can't recall a time where we have a solid 1-8 in the batting order with no automatic outs. Sure Taveras isn't great, but he brings a dimension we havent had, Ede, BPhil, Bruce, Votto all have chances for good to great seasons. AGon, Hairston, Dickerson, and Hernandez/Hanigan aren't studs at the plate but they all can definitely handle the stick with some pop. No more Bako's, CPatt's, Castro's, etc makes me giddy in itself.
I didnt think a few months ago, I would think of the bullpen as our biggest concern which I do right now. Hopefully they ( bullpen) will kick it in gear shortly.

Captain Hook
03-09-2009, 11:55 PM
I didnt think a few months ago, I would think of the bullpen as our biggest concern which I do right now. Hopefully they ( bullpen) will kick it in gear shortly.

I agree 100%.I'm very concerned considering what has happened so fare this ST.I hear a lot of people say that some of these vets don't care too much about ST and just want to get work in but I would think that they would still like to look decent.

However, my expectations for this season has gone up a bunch.

Kingspoint
03-10-2009, 01:25 AM

The other half of the Josh Hamilton trade, Daniel Herrera, should make his effect at the Major League level this season while pitching in the pen for us. His ERA so far this spring is 0.00.

JBChance
03-10-2009, 02:13 PM
The other half of the Josh Hamilton trade, Daniel Herrera, should make his effect at the Major League level this season while pitching in the pen for us. His ERA so far this spring is 0.00.

The younger guys are going to make the bullpen selection interesting, especially if some of the vets struggle.

ChatterRed
03-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Like Will Smith says.......I'm "getting giddy wit it!"

Ghosts of 1990
03-13-2009, 02:21 AM

Bruce will out homer Votto.

Bruce will hit 30+

Kingspoint
03-13-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm not giddy, though that the guy Baker wants to hand the 9th inning to is sucking more than any other pitcher in Spring Training so far....not just pitching bad, but pitching worse than any other pitcher that's thrown the ball so far in Spring Training. Couple that with a guy that Dusty wants to give the ball to in the 7th, or to get the team out of jams by the name of Arthur Rhodes, who's also not fooling a single person so far this season as he's getting pounded repeatedly.

Everything else looks great, but these two players that Dusty would ride the team into the ground (like he did last year with Patterson) by refusing to let someone else take their places.

joe51391
03-13-2009, 01:53 PM
gigity gigity....alright

bgwilly31
03-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Like Will Smith says.......I'm "getting giddy wit it!"

Big willy style on it:)

Im gettn giddy with it. Not a real huge fan of spring training but i keep up to date. And so far i'm liking what i hear.

Fon Duc Tow
03-13-2009, 06:20 PM
count me among the hopeful.

I'll be giddy when they are in 1st place

jmac
03-13-2009, 07:39 PM
I was just reading the NL Central rankings on the ORG.
All so far have picked the reds to finish 2nd or 3rd. I thought a month or so ago, most was saying the reds would lose 90-100 games. Either more people are liking what they are seeing or some teams in the NL Central below us are going to lose a whole lot of games. :D

FWIW...I think the reds have a good shot at third with an outside shot at second depending on Carpentar's health with STL.

ChatterRed
03-13-2009, 08:47 PM
I don't put much stock in Spring Training stats. I've seen too many pitchers and hitters put up good numbers in ST and then tank when it counts.

But it's alot better than the alternative.

I'll believe it when I see it.

OesterPoster
03-13-2009, 11:23 PM
I think the Reds can finish anywhere from 2nd to 5th in the division. I don't understand why anyone would pick the Astros above 5th or 6th. Their rotation is Oswalt, Hampton and a prayer. Their farm system is non-existent. Their current spring training record is 1-11. Spring training stats might be fuzzy, but ONE win in spring training is pathetic.

$1 Hot Dog
03-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Agreed. I can see why the Cubs have a favored pitching staff over us but that is it in our division. Even if Carpenter comes back for the Cardinals he is no way the pitcher he once was. As far as the Astros are concerned, I think their rotation is Oswalt. Mike Hampton has been an amazing pitcher before but he will sit out the year if he cracks his toe nail. The only pitcher in our division we CANNOT beat is Oswalt. I agree that we could finish anywhere from 2nd to 5th in our division, but IMO this is the most complete team we have had in some time and definitely have the talent to be 2nd if they live up to their talent. I also understand that the Reds have in the past had tendencies to play well below their talent level. I just hope that this year, we can exceed expectations (I think 2nd place) and finish with a pennant.

WildcatFan
03-15-2009, 10:21 PM
The best part about the optimism that we're starting to see around here I think is that we are saying these things about one of the youngest teams in baseball whose core is under our control for the next couple of years.

One of my favorite parts of spring training so far has been reading the reports on the prospects that we will be seeing in uniform sometime in the near future and how they seemingly fill every hole that I can see in the opening day big league squad.

That is what's going to give me the patience I need during the season to accept mistakes as opportunities for the players to grow and cheer ferociously for the small victories. I can see this becoming one of the most fun seasons in the last 10 years for a fan and one that we will be able to look back on in the future and say, "Thats's when it started."

OesterPoster
03-16-2009, 09:20 AM
The best part about the optimism that we're starting to see around here I think is that we are saying these things about one of the youngest teams in baseball whose core is under our control for the next couple of years.

One of my favorite parts of spring training so far has been reading the reports on the prospects that we will be seeing in uniform sometime in the near future and how they seemingly fill every hole that I can see in the opening day big league squad.

That is what's going to give me the patience I need during the season to accept mistakes as opportunities for the players to grow and cheer ferociously for the small victories. I can see this becoming one of the most fun seasons in the last 10 years for a fan and one that we will be able to look back on in the future and say, "Thats's when it started."

Yep, me too. Love seeing updates on Frazier, Alonso, Valaika, Francisco, etc.

Ghosts of 1990
03-16-2009, 11:51 AM
3 weeks from today gentleman! Just hope for warm weather!

xavr1
03-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Its been nice lately. Just hoping it keeps getting better! Man I can't wait for the opener.

ChatterRed
03-16-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm getting giddy wit it.

Root Down
03-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Now that we are 1 week and 3 days away from the season and the weather is much more like baseball weather, it is much easier to start getting revved up for the season. In just over a week we'll have a finalized lineup (hopefully) and will be able to watch the Reds in person or on TV on a regular basis. It is much easier to get giddy now! Regular season is just around the corner.

Kingspoint
03-27-2009, 07:18 PM
3 weeks from today gentleman! Just hope for warm weather!

berry, berry, nice.

jmac
03-28-2009, 03:10 PM
I am not starting a thread so therefore asking here. Does anyone know why we have not had game threads for the last two days ? :confused:
I am not talking about in the sundeck but rather in GameThread section ?

ChatterRed
03-30-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm still getting giddy wit it.

Ghosts of 1990
03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
I am beyond giddy.