PDA

View Full Version : Favorite brand of mustard

elfmanvt07
03-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Anyone else as big of a mustard fanatic as I am?

I gotta say, I went to a game in Cleveland with my Pops last year (actually, it was the unassisted triple play game) and grabbed a hotdog.

Well, maybe it was my 4th hot dog.

Anyways, I went over and put some Bertman Ballpark mustard on it. I thought I had found the garden of Eden.

Bertman is my number one mustard for hot dogs or other sausages. Anyone else have any preferences?

redsmetz
03-06-2009, 02:12 PM

I gotta say, I went to a game in Cleveland with my Pops last year (actually, it was the unassisted triple play game) and grabbed a hotdog.

Anyways, I went over and put some Bertman Ballpark mustard on it. I thought I had found the garden of Eden.

Bertman is my number one mustard for hot dogs or other sausages. Anyone else have any preferences?

I think I must not be a good afficianado, I'll take French's, Plochman's, Kroger brand, Heinz. For a brown mustard, I prefer Gulden's.

PedroBourbon
03-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Colonel Mustard, in the Library, with the candlestick!

I like French's. I often add some tabasco to give a little kick. Excellent for sandwiches and pretzels I must say.

bucksfan2
03-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Yellow mustard. I don't like any spicy of fancy mustard. Heniz will do for me.

camisadelgolf
03-06-2009, 03:24 PM
I have an unnatural fear of mustard. Any time someone gets near me with it, I literally run away. Mustard makes me cower in fear like nothing else, and I have no idea why.

Unassisted
03-06-2009, 03:48 PM
I like to cook with Inglehoffer's stone ground mustard. A couple of tablespoons of that can make steamed cauliflower a whole lot more interesting. :cool:

minus5
03-06-2009, 03:49 PM
There is a Beer & Brat mustard that has horseraddish in it that I really like.

edabbs44
03-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Mustard skeeves me.

HotCorner
03-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Pretty simple for me: French's Yellow Mustard

Red in Chicago
03-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Pretty simple for me: French's Yellow Mustard

Me too, although sometimes I like to "mix it up" and use French's Honey Mustard, when I'm feeling really dangerous;)

westofyou
03-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Cha... Poupon, or anything Dijon, the rest is pale, it's bucket.

marcshoe
03-06-2009, 08:52 PM
I have a jar of homemade sweet mustard (I don't know who made it) in my fridge right now. It has a nice tang to it.

camisadelgolf
03-06-2009, 09:02 PM
After all these years, this still makes me lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_pGT8Q_tjk

reds1869
03-06-2009, 11:58 PM
I love Killians Irish Red Mustard...great stuff. I agree with the original poster, though: Ballpark Mustard is the best.

Yachtzee
03-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Cleveland's Ballpark Mustard is my favorite, but I really miss the "sharp" mustards of Austria and Bavaria. I could really go for a Bosna, which consists of two thin bratwurst on a crusty roll with a spicy mustard and onion relish and curry powder. Tastes great but definitely won't get many kisses afterward.

Back to Cleveland's mustard, they were wise to keep the same mustard provider when they moved to the Jake, but one thing I really miss it that they used to have these Polish Sausages that were available at most stands at Cleveland Municipal Stadium, but I no longer see at the now Progressive Field. Stadium Mustard on a grilled kielbasa is great.

Newport Red
03-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Nothing but Grey Poupon goes on my corn dogs.

Mmmmm...corn dogs. I need to go shopping.

*BaseClogger*
03-07-2009, 02:34 AM
I have an unnatural fear of mustard. Any time someone gets near me with it, I literally run away. Mustard makes me cower in fear like nothing else, and I have no idea why.

Huh. I am the same way with ranch dressing...

JBChance
03-07-2009, 04:04 AM
Plochman's for me. Supposedly, 150 years of mustard excellence!

GAC
03-07-2009, 04:11 AM
Man! Baseball had better start soon. Now we're talking about mustard! :lol:

camisadelgolf
03-07-2009, 04:15 AM
Huh. I am the same way with ranch dressing...
Ranch dressing doesn't bother me, but anyone who has recently consumed ranch dressing really gets on my nerves. :barf:

deltachi8
03-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Weber's Horseradish mustard. I don't miss a whole lot from living in Buffalo, but this makes the list. I have a small supply here in my pantry that I restock on trips back north.

http://www.webersmustard.com/images/products/horseradish_mustard.jpg

Yachtzee
03-07-2009, 11:39 AM

By the way, I believe the brand sold at the stadium is sold as "Authentic Stadium Mustard," whereas Bertman's is "Original Ballpark Mustard." Bertman's was originally sold in League Park and Cleveland Stadium, but Stadium has been in Cleveland Stadium in the later years as well as the Jake/Progressive. The two brands are very similar, but some swear they can taste the difference. Kind of like the Skyline/Gold Star debate.

Whether I have Bertman's or Stadium (depends on which is available at the market), one good recipe I have is for tuna salad. Chop up some red onion and celery, mix it in with two cans of tuna, add about 1/3 a cup of mayo and 3 tbsp of the mustard along with it. The mustard gives the tuna salad a nice tangy zip to it.

Chip R
03-07-2009, 06:58 PM
I didn't like mustard when I was a kid. Now I love it. I'm not picky as long as it's spicy brown. Kroger makes a good spicy brown.

GAC
03-08-2009, 05:35 AM
Anyone here eat potato chips w/ mustard? My brother does. And so does my daughter.

Roy Tucker
03-08-2009, 11:52 AM
I like a good sturdy spicy brown mustard on my hot dogs and sausages. For sandwiches and cooking, I'm a Grey Poupon/Dijon guy. I've never been a big fan of yellow mustard.

deltachi8
03-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Anyone here eat potato chips w/ mustard? My brother does. And so does my daughter.

It has happened once or twice here...

elfmanvt07
03-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I've never been a big fan of yellow mustard.

I'm the same way, although I know we're the minority. I use mustard to cook with all the time, as well.

Plus, I give props to any food that can also be used in other forms as a weapon.

WebScorpion
03-09-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm suprised nobody mentioned Colman's:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gGLr30ilL._SS500_.jpg

I'm weird about mustard; I like plain yellow (usually French's) mustard on hot dogs, corn dogs, or burgers; Spicy brown (usually Guldens) on Kielbasa, Smoked Sausage, Brats; And Colman's or a Dijon mustard as an ingredient in cooking.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/peace.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

nate
03-09-2009, 03:19 PM
I must admit being partial to Chinese mustard. The more it feels like a quantum singularity in your nose, the better.

TeamCasey
03-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Plochman's Stone Ground

RichRed
03-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Big fan of the horseradish mustard. It's good on almost anything. The wife puts it in baked beans - love it. Dijon's good too and yellow's alright but doesn't hold a candle to the 'radish.

GAC
03-09-2009, 08:11 PM
I must admit being partial to Chinese mustard. The more it feels like a quantum singularity in your nose, the better.

Szechwan mustard? Love that stuff on fried Wontons and egg rolls. Hot! Hot! Hot! Tears me up!

nate
03-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Szechwan mustard? Love that stuff on fried Wontons and egg rolls. Hot! Hot! Hot! Tears me up!

That's the one! The more painful, the better.

Just like the Reds!

elfmanvt07
03-10-2009, 08:36 AM
That stuff is awesome. The thing is, I feel it has kind of a limited use. A good stone-ground can go on anything.

RFS62
03-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Gotta be spicy brown of some kind. I hate yellow mustard.

My first day of school I saw a kid putting French's Yellow Mustard on his French Fries. I was aghast, confused, befuddled. I knew the world would never be the same again.

Since that awful day, no yellow mustard for me.

NYMoose
03-10-2009, 10:44 AM

I feel the same way.

gonelong
03-10-2009, 10:58 AM
http://www.globalvillageinc.com/images/897371.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PBA2HK92L._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

GAC
03-10-2009, 08:04 PM
That's the one! The more painful, the better.Just like the Reds!

Many years ago, when I had my first experience with it, we were at a Szechwan restaurant and not knowing I dipped my wonton in the mustard not realizing just how hot is is.

I had tears in my eyes. Been in love ever since. :p:

nate
03-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Many years ago, when I had my first experience with it, we were at a Szechwan restaurant and not knowing I dipped my wonton in the mustard not realizing just how hot is is.

Ah, euphemism.

:cool:

westofyou
03-11-2009, 09:49 AM

Chinese Mustard by Bill Cosby

http://www.themadmusicarchive.com/album_details.aspx?AlbumID=6753

Hear it - http://baseballminutia.com/images/Bill_Cosby_-_Chinese_Mustard.m3u

cincyinco
03-12-2009, 02:14 AM
I love mustards of all kinds. I'm a mutard fanatic. Love Chinese mutard too, nate. I agree, the bigger the burn, the better. This is why I also love wasabi!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned any kind of beer mustard?

westofyou
03-18-2009, 10:30 AM
http://www.wired.com/images/slideshow/2009/03/gallery_WWII_photos/posters.jpg