PDA

View Full Version : 3-6-09 Game Impressions

BigRed75
03-07-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm down here in Florida to take in a couple of ST games. Just thought I would post some of my personal impressions from yesterday's game:

Aaron Harang was throwing maybe 90 percent. I think he was really working on trying to extend himself (pitch count or innings) and working on pitch location. Pay not attention to his pitching line.

Jordan Smith is quite impressive. Throws hard and has a great breaking pitch. When he was called from the bullpen...he walked the entire way to the mound which I thought was funny (or lazy).

J. Jones and D. Ward do not fit on this team. Both were very unimpressive.

Dickerson can absolutely cover some ground in the outfield. He made a spectacular catch that the RF (Jones) should have made. Looked terrible at the plate in his first AB but he was facing a lefty which is probably rare for him. Made adjustments in the 2nd AB.

Bruce kept hitting his right leg at the plate to tell himself something. He didn't look bad just rusty. He got a workout in the outfield.

Yonder only hit once but he's got great plate presence. He smoked the ball but the pitcher made a "hey Mom, look what I found" stop for a DP.

Francisco is a big dude. He's smooth in the field but is a free swinger at the plate. He is definitely one to watch.

Janish will never be anything but a glove.

Rosales could be a very valuable utility guy in the near future.

Hanigan always makes contact at the plate and has a great arm. I love this kid as our back-up. I still think he could be a starter.

Eric_the_Red
03-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Sorry, I don't do impressions.

Ba-dum-bum! :p:

Seriously, thanks for the report. I agree that Jones & Ward are not good fits. I think they were two guys to take a chance on in spring to see if they remembered how to play. So far, not looking good. Wonder if this opens a spot up for Nix? Anyone know if he can play first?

BigRed75
03-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Gomes has been playing some 1B from what I've heard. Can anyone confirm?