PDA

View Full Version : Reds need to lock Votto up NOW!

redhawk61
03-07-2009, 03:02 PM
If you just saw his bomb in the WBC against Peavy, you would agree. He is going to be an absolute stud, and I feel an even bigger year this year out of him, .900 OPS 30 HR's 100+RBI's. It is time to lock him up before he gets crazy expensive

Chris Sabowned
03-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Is it un-American to root for Canada? I am having a tough time cheering for Jeter and Pedrioa over Votto. That homerun got me all giddy.

Captain Hook
03-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Early in the off season Votto,Phillips,Bruce and EE didn't sound too great for the middle of the line up but as opening day nears its sounding better and better.

HalMorrisRules
03-07-2009, 03:37 PM
If you just saw his bomb in the WBC against Peavy, you would agree. He is going to be an absolute stud, and I feel an even bigger year this year out of him, .900 OPS 30 HR's 100+RBI's. It is time to lock him up before he gets crazy expensive

Absolutely not. The benefit of having young players is that they are inexpensive. Joey still has two years before arbitration I believe. There is plenty of time to get a deal done.

mroby85
03-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Is it un-American to root for Canada? I am having a tough time cheering for Jeter and Pedrioa over Votto. That homerun got me all giddy.

I've had that same problem, I like a lot of players on the Dominican team.

Captain Hook
03-07-2009, 03:44 PM
I've had that same problem, I like a lot of players on the Dominican team.

Me to.That guy they have playing CF and leading off is great.:D

gedred69
03-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Hold on locking Votto up just yet. He won't be arb' eligible, and if he is as he is looking to me, (the 2nd coming of Will Clark), he'd be foolish to sign a long term deal just yet. On another thought, has anyone seen anything about how he feels about moving to the OF when/if Alonso is ready?

berryluther
03-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Because of his notorious slow starts and his power numbers I thought he would be a Sean Casey type (nothing wrong with that) but after his early spring hitting and today I have a feeling we have a bonafide Superstar in waiting. I was very skeptical about our offense, but I am starting to look forward to this season.

Ghosts of 1990
03-07-2009, 11:27 PM
I dont think he's an absolute stud..... IE Pujols, Fielder, Howard, etc.

I think his upside is slightly, ever so slightly above what Sean Casey did in 1999

goreds2
03-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Absolutely not. The benefit of having young players is that they are inexpensive. Joey still has two years before arbitration I believe. There is plenty of time to get a deal done.

Exactly, let's use that extra money to possibly get a "Rent-A-Center" type player at the trading deadline to get us over the hump and compete for a playoff spot.

Jerome
03-08-2009, 12:56 AM
I dont think he's an absolute stud..... IE Pujols, Fielder, Howard, etc.

I think his upside is slightly, ever so slightly above what Sean Casey did in 1999

Not that OPS+ is everything, but in his rookie year Votto (124) was only 4 points behind Fielder (128). And Adam Dunn had a 129 to Howard's 124. Fielder and Howard both had off OPS+ years considering what they're capable of though. I just think it's interesting.

I think Votto's upside will be above what Helton did away from Coors (.294/.394/.494). I think his best years will be more than slightly what Casey did in 99, but either way, it's pretty awesome to think about.

Pujols is astronomical...in his own league.

http://www.jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

RedLakerFan24
03-08-2009, 04:11 AM
I think we need to lock Votto, Bruce, Cueto, and Volquez to have a team to compete for years to come

DTCromer
03-08-2009, 04:38 PM

Pedroia might be one of my favorite players to watch in baseball.

elfmanvt07
03-09-2009, 11:36 AM

I couldn't agree more, if only for his attitude. The guys seems honestly pissed if he doesn't go 4 for 5 with 3 RBIs and a jack.

Did anyone else laugh their butt off when Jimmy Rollins was giving that interview and Dunn bombed one? The atmosphere in that dugout looks incredible. I think the U.S. may actually win this thing.

Too bad our uniforms are so crappy, though.

Ohioballplayer
03-09-2009, 12:06 PM
I love his commercial for the video game, where he goes I am sorry I was polishing my MVP Trophy, lol, priceless

will5979
04-10-2009, 08:22 AM
I said earlier this spring that Votto may make Reds fans forget about Adam Dunn. So far, so good.

I love this time of year, cause right now ESPN has him predicted to hit 108 hrs and 378 rbis this year. DAMN! :eek::beerme:

Maldez
04-10-2009, 08:49 AM
It doesn't take much to make me forget Adam Dunn. Joey's quickly becoming the face of the new Cincinnati Reds.

schmidty622
04-10-2009, 09:04 AM
I said earlier this spring that Votto may make Reds fans forget about Adam Dunn. So far, so good.

I love this time of year, cause right now ESPN has him predicted to hit 108 hrs and 378 rbis this year. DAMN! :eek::beerme:

I don't know about that, but I fully expect a line of 90R, 30HR, and 100Rbi, with about a .290 Avg and OBP of .370-.390.

His numbers will be even better if the players in front of him get on base consistently, which history suggests they will be hard pressed to do.

xavr1
04-10-2009, 09:16 AM
While he's not gonna hit a 3 run bomb every night, I love Votto's attitude at the plate and in the locker room this season. He's definitely stepping into a leadership role, which this team desperately needs.

improbus
04-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Some interesting Reds and ex-Reds stats (I love early season stats, they are like video game stats)
Adam Dunn 3 BB's
Brandon Phillips 3 BB's
Mike Cameron 1.912 OPS.
Jorge Cantu 1.806 OPS

And my favorite Non-Red stat
Indians team ERA: 10.88

JBChance
04-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Votto has clearly benefited from his first year in the bigs. While he couldn't possibly keep up this production, the fact that's he's red hot from the get go bodes well for him and the team, this year.

A tad bit early to give him the farm, but I love the idea of locking him in - I don't know enough about those type of contacts (Sizemore's, Longoria's), though, to know if its worth it. From what I do know, wouldn't it cost more now, but would probably pay off later? Kinda a risk vs. reward thing?

justincredible
04-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Votto has 4x as many Ks as Dunn so far this season. I am ready to give up hope on him.

Jack Burton
04-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Serious? Why?

I love his commercial for the video game, where he goes I am sorry I was polishing my MVP Trophy, lol, priceless
You kiddin'? I thought it was terrible, a disgrace to the most valuable player award.

The dwarf is overrated, didn't put up anything close to mvp numbers but somehow won the award?

Let it be known, I hate the Red Sox almost as much as I hate the Cubbies.

Eric_the_Red
04-10-2009, 01:22 PM
I like Pedroia as well, but the Sawx are my AL team. I can see Sawx haters disliking Pedroia, especially as he seems like a bit of a loud-mouth.

But the numbers he produces from such a small frame are amazing. He plays hard and is one of those "grind it out" players.

reds1869
04-10-2009, 02:24 PM
I like Pedroia as well, but the Sawx are my AL team. I can see Sawx haters disliking Pedroia, especially as he seems like a bit of a loud-mouth.

But the numbers he produces from such a small frame are amazing. He plays hard and is one of those "grind it out" players.

Dustin is a great player, but if his uniform said "Kansas City"across the front with the same production he wouldn't be in the top ten in voting.

Eric_the_Red
04-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Dustin is a great player, but if his uniform said "Kansas City"across the front with the same production he wouldn't be in the top ten in voting.

True because KC didn't make the playoffs. But if he wore a Rays, White Sox or Angels uniform last year I think he would have still been MVP. For better or worse, often the MVP is given to the best player on one of the best teams.

And last year was a weak year overall for the MVP race.

Ghosts of 1990
04-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Votto has that perennial All-Star look about him in the early going. The things you hear about him, the work ethic and such; makes you think its just going to get better.

I really want to see the Reds lock up Votto and Bruce..... and let the good times roll.

Fullboat
04-10-2009, 03:17 PM
http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:pWqVxjePvhu4OM::mokellyreport.files.w ordpress.com/2009/03/dr-evil.jpg 1 Billlllion dollars. :cool:

Redlegs
04-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I agree that the Reds should sign their young talent to long term deals now. Take a page from the Cleveland Indians book of the early 90's. They locked up all their young talent and had a great run of success.

Eric_the_Red
04-11-2009, 06:11 PM
I'd like to see a couple seasons first. Imagine if the Reds locked up all the young talent after the '99 season. That was a career year for most of the players.

Ghosts of 1990
04-11-2009, 10:54 PM
I'd like to see a couple seasons first. Imagine if the Reds locked up all the young talent after the '99 season. That was a career year for most of the players.

I don't mean all their young talent. I mean Votto and Bruce.

And if you wait a few years like you say on these two and they have huge years like they're likely to, they'll price themselves out of Cincinnati. Do you see what I"m saying?

Eric_the_Red
04-12-2009, 07:17 AM
I understand, but again, let's not be hasty. Remember a few seasons ago when the Reds had this great young duo of Dunn/Kearns? Imagine if we locked up Kearns to a multimillion dollar, 6 or 7 year deal after his first season or two. It would have gone down as one of the worst contracts ever.

Let them play for us cheap for a few years and prove their worth over an extended time. Then decide what kind of contract to offer.