PDA

View Full Version : CoCo Cordero...

mroby85
03-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Is it time to worry yet? 1 inning and 3 more earned runs again today! I'm starting to worry that he may be injured or something.

will5979
03-08-2009, 06:35 PM
WEathers? We'll be fine in the pen...

gedred69
03-08-2009, 06:49 PM
For now, I'll have to go with the Cowboy's comments, "Cordero has his fastball, now he's working on throwing his change where he wants it. That's what ST is for". (I hope that is the case). Cowboy had his time as one of the best, I'll defer to him for now.:thumbup::rolleyes:

RedLakerFan24
03-08-2009, 07:45 PM
i remember last year he had a bad spring as well, but he is just working on pitches hes probaly not even trying just practicing

Root Down
03-08-2009, 08:09 PM
It's too early to worry.

TheNext44
03-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Even if this was a month from now, it would be too early. CoCo has a strong track record. He'll be fine.

jmac
03-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Yes it is early but Coco wasnt exactly lights out last season.

NatiRedGals
03-08-2009, 10:05 PM
LOL he had 5 wins harang had 6. he never got a chance to get a save to get in a rhythm.

JBChance
03-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Had a "precautionary X-ray"

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090308&content_id=3946032&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Reds closer Francisco Cordero had X-rays performed on his surgically repaired right ankle on Sunday morning. The results were negative.

Cordero had reported some stiffness and hasn't pitched well this spring. In Sunday's 6-5, 10-inning win over the Blue Jays, he gave up three earned runs and three hits, including two home runs in his one inning of work.

This after saying this 3 days ago:

"Before the surgery, I dealt with it for two years," Cordero said. "Now I just have to get back to normal, run normal and not think about it. I don't feel any pain. At the beginning of spring, I was limping and more worried than anything else."

So, is he feeling pain or not feeling pain? Definitely mixed signals.

I absolutely hate that "some stiffness" phrase. Could mean anything from a mild sprain to see ya next season.

redsfandan
03-09-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm not worried about the bullpen even if coco is out for any amount of time which at this time would be premature to assume anyway. Burton/Bray/Bailey could = the new Nasty Boys. Another reason I just hate coco's contract.

JBChance
03-09-2009, 01:22 AM
I'm not worried about the bullpen even if coco is out for any amount of time which at this time would be premature to assume anyway. Burton/Bray/Bailey could = the new Nasty Boys. Another reason I just hate coco's contract.

Yeah, I agree that we might have the potential to replace him, maybe. But, like you, I'm really not liking Coco' contract now.

I know it's REAL early, but, with this type of stuff happening, its definitely a situation the Reds should start planning for and have some options/ ideas to deal if it goes down.

redsfandan
03-09-2009, 01:30 AM
Yeah, I agree that we might have the potential to replace him, maybe. But, like you, I'm really not liking Coco' contract now.

Now? Did you honestly ever like that contract? I didn't. Imo, that's the worst contract since Milton. Yes he's a good closer but we paid a premium price for him and for too many years.

JBChance
03-09-2009, 01:48 AM
Now? Did you honestly ever like that contract? I didn't. Imo, that's the worst contract since Milton. Yes he's a good closer but we paid a premium price for him and for too many years.

I was kind of on the fence on it, because of the terms. The fact that he is a legitimate good pitcher (much unlike Milton) had me not hating it. Because of his ability, he would still be able to be traded (for a return), if we have to move him. At the time, I was happy that they seemed to be trying to dramatically improve the club. I thought, at the moment, that they might open the vault and really add some talent. As it were, they did practically none of that - It confuses me greatly why they did it, when they did it.

So, I've increasingly become unhappy with it. Now, if he tanks and ruins his value, it's a real stinker.

tbball10
03-09-2009, 05:24 AM
Cordero looked really bad moving on that ankle on Friday when I saw him do PFP.

xavr1
03-09-2009, 11:00 AM
I didnt hate the contract when we signed it, but thought it was for too much. I just liked getting someone that I thought we could count on. That said, he definitely disappointed my expectations last year. But when I step away from it, our bullpen ERA was so much better last year than 07. I wonder what impact, direct or indirect, CoCo may have had on that improvement.

JBChance
03-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Cordero looked really bad moving on that ankle on Friday when I saw him do PFP.

That may explain his struggles in ST then.

Hopefully, its just taking a while to get it back from the surgery.

Captain Hook
03-10-2009, 01:48 AM
I know its way to early to freak out but this has to be the biggest concern so far this ST.It would be nice to see him get 3 outs without giving up 2 to 3 runs.

I think I just need something to worry about since things are going pretty well for the Reds so far.

$1 Hot Dog
03-19-2009, 10:37 AM
You got your wish. Last two appearances, no runs.

roby
03-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Don't forget the HUGE contribution that Cordero has made in working with Volquez and Cueto. I think he has made them a lot better than they would have ordinarily been. That's worth something.

fadetoblack2880
03-19-2009, 09:48 PM
he was playing hurt last season. he did pretty well for a guy with a bum ankle. he'll be fine. its not like he's the opening day starter.

mroby85
03-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Looked pretty shaky again tonight.

TheNext44
03-19-2009, 11:29 PM
His line sure was ugly tonight against Boston, but he looked sharp most of the time. He got a quick two strikes on most hitters with some really good pitches, but then would leave one in the zone to nearly every hitter.
Definitely something to watch for, but not worry about unless he keeps doing it for the next two weeks.

Kingspoint
03-20-2009, 12:34 AM
I saw the guy tonight and I thought, "Who is that obese guy on the mound? It looks like he spends his life eating fried food."

I had no idea that's what he looked like. Has he always been this out of shape?

xavr1
03-20-2009, 11:29 AM
I also thought he looked out of shape and out of sync. I know it's early, but I am officially worried about him.

schmidty622
03-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Why the Reds invested so much money into him is beyond me.

xavr1
03-20-2009, 11:52 AM
From Fay's blog:

Francisco Cordero gave up four runs in the eighth to bunch of guys with numbers in 60s and 70s. He had pitched scoreless ininng in his last two outings, but he's given up 13 runs in seven innings this spring. I checked his velocity he was 93 consistently on scout's guns. The Reds have to be starting to get concerned. Opening Day is two weeks from Monday.

JBChance
03-21-2009, 03:36 AM
Maybe his conditioning routine is off because of the ankle.

The two appearances before this one gives me some hope with him. We have way too much cash tied up in him.

jmac
03-21-2009, 09:52 AM
I also thought he looked out of shape and out of sync. I know it's early, but I am officially worried about him.
Yes it is early But he was shaky most of last year also. So whatever the problem was appears to still be there.
I would not feel overly confident in the 9th inning on OD bringing him in to face Beltran and Wright etc with a one run lead.
Hopefully he can regain whatever it is that has been missing.

NatiRedGals
03-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Im not too worried. I think once he starts to play consistently and starts to trust his ankle he will be fine. Last year he had one less win then Harang. He is a above average closer. Im glad we have him and i have a feeling the minors and getting out there more often will be a huge help.

Ghosts of 1990
03-21-2009, 01:54 PM
I saw the guy tonight and I thought, "Who is that obese guy on the mound? It looks like he spends his life eating fried food."

I had no idea that's what he looked like. Has he always been this out of shape?

You are right. It's amazing to me that these guys can't do what it takes to just stay in shape. Relief pitcher shape.

It's really not that hard. Run a few miles everyday. Good for your health. This guy is a lazy slob.

I think we could get Manny Corpas from the Rockies fairly easily should Cordero falter. Corpas would be a nice boost to our pen and that would allow fatso to pitch the 8th instead of eefus weathers.

Kingspoint
03-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Maybe his conditioning routine is off because of the ankle.

The two appearances before this one gives me some hope with him. We have way too much cash tied up in him.

It takes many, many years of eating poorly to get the fat jawls that he has.