PDA

View Full Version : Why not Pedro Martinez?

Chris Sabowned
03-08-2009, 06:16 PM
He is still a free agent. He has been pitching well for the DR so far in the World Baseball Classic. I think he would be perfect for our 5th spot. Use Owings as the long reliever, and start Homer at AAA.

He did express that he wanted to go to a "contender", but maybe the fact that we already have two of his DR teammates in our starting rotation could sway his opinion of us. He would be the perfect guy to mentor them.

mroby85
03-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I agree, and was thinking the same thing yesterday. He's a perfect fit for #5 in my opinion, because he doesn't have the stuff he used to, but he definitely knows how to pitch. He always may be able to teach Cueto and Volquez some things throughout the year.

Slyder
03-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I'd use him as a Long man or a jam man. He may not be what he was but he'd probably be great in short bursts (1-3 inn) where batters dont have a chance to adjust to what he does have left. Plus his endurance isnt what it once was. If we have some injuries or guys crash (IE Weathers/Lincoln/Cordero) then we could certainly do worse than Pedro.

redsfandan
03-09-2009, 12:25 AM
I think Slyder pretty much nailed it on what you should expect out of Pedro. He could be a nice fit for someones bullpen if the money is right. But I don't think he'd help as much as a starter.

big boy
03-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Would he come to the Reds for the kind of money typically paid to crafty, old junkballers who have only won 17 games in the last three seasons? Likely not.

Eric_the_Red
03-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Why not Pedro?
2007 - 5 games, $14 mil
2008 - 5.61 ERA, 1.569 WHIP, $11.8 mil

That's why. ;)

I'll take Owings and/or Bailey over those numbers at that salary anyday.

redsfandan
03-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Noone will pay anywhere close to those amounts for Pedro.

mac624
03-09-2009, 11:24 AM
starter, then heck yeah I'd take him if the money is good. Also, would take a flyer on Ivan Rodriquez as well, though he's probably going to make a lot of money off this WBC and be too expensive for the Reds.

elfmanvt07
03-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Noone will pay anywhere close to those amounts for Pedro.

Nor should they. Coming out of the pen for long relief for ~$6mil would suit me just fine.

Ohioballplayer
03-09-2009, 11:59 AM
I was thinking the same thing, what a great addition he would be, but I agree that the price is too great for the Reds.

Orodle
03-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Anyone not interested in Pedro obviously didnt see him pitching the other day. No, hes no longer the flamethrower that has the ability to throw bullets past people but he still knows how to pitch and his great change up makes that 91mph fastball seem a bit faster. Ya hes a bit of a risk money and health wise but when healthy I would take him over Owings and Bailey in the shortterm (this season) any day.

HalMorrisRules
03-09-2009, 02:59 PM
starter, then heck yeah I'd take him if the money is good. Also, would take a flyer on Ivan Rodriquez as well, though he's probably going to make a lot of money off this WBC and be too expensive for the Reds.

Ramon Hernandez and his $9.5M says Hi!

It would be interesting to see what kind of influence/mentoring that Pedro would have on Volquez and Cueto. And besides, we already know Pedro likes to party with Bronson.

Bronson's Party Boat (http://www.bustedcoverage.com/?p=12173)

xavr1
03-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Volquez and Cueto LOVE Pedro. Talk about him all the time as their hero. They would probably soak up his suggestions like a sponge. That said, no way will it happen. Nor do we need it.

Orodle
03-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Volquez and Cueto LOVE Pedro. Talk about him all the time as their hero. They would probably soak up his suggestions like a sponge. That said, no way will it happen. Nor do we need it.

Great point. They have similar stuff to Pedro when he was younger, electric fastballs with a great change. Not to mention he could communicate more clearly to them in their native tongue.

davereds24
03-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Cincinnati's idea of a risk/reward signing is going after someone washed up and signing them to a 500k nonguaranteed deal with an invite to camp.

Pedro wants much more than that and the Reds can't afford it.

If he was a lefty he could help the team, but then again he'd be making 10mil a year if that were the case. We have plenty of arms as good as his right now.

Captain Hook
03-09-2009, 11:45 PM
I think Pedro would be a huge mistake.The reds are on the right track with the young guys we have and should stay the course.Pedro was great in his day but has not been very good the last few years.The game he pitched in the other day meant very little considering he probably didn't face a single big league hitter.

I'm a little surprised this would even be a topic.Our top 4 are set and the battle for the 5th spot in the rotation has been great.There are some needs for the Reds but I don't see starting pitching as one of them.

redsfandan
03-10-2009, 12:09 PM

Rosenthal On Pedro, A-Rod, Beimel, Ohman
By Tim Dierkes [March 10 at 9:12am CST]
Here's the latest from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports...

One executive tells Rosenthal Pedro Martinez seeks a contract similar to the one John Smoltz received (a $5.5MM base plus $5.5MM incentives). Rosenthal's speculative candidates for Pedro include the Dodgers, Marlins, Indians, and Mets. He says the A's, Orioles, Nationals, and Brewers are out. If keeps pitching well in the WBC he may very well land this type of deal or something similar. I've only seen speculation of him possibly as a reliever for St Louis but I think he'd probably prefer to stay a starter. That he'd likely make more money as a starter probably has something to do with it.

Last time I checked it looked like Ivan is headed back to the Marlins.