PDA

View Full Version : A Rod out 6-9 wks.

Slyder
03-09-2009, 01:01 AM
ARod had hip and syst surgery today. They said he's out 6-9 weeks on the optimistic side (depending on how his hip responds). I dont know enough about the Reds farm (in most part) let alone the Yanks. Could we maybe flip one of our 3b near ready type spects to the yanks for a couple arms?

TheNext44
03-09-2009, 01:06 PM
I think the only possibility is Keppinger. I think they want someone who can fill in for a few months, then be happy on the bench. I think they also only want a proven major leaguer. I could be wrong.

Eric_the_Red
03-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Meanwhile, Nomar is kicking himself.

JBChance
03-09-2009, 07:16 PM
They'll definitely pick up somebody. Dollars to doughnuts, he'll be out longer than 6 weeks and probably out longer than the 9.

Their in-house option will not bridge that long a gap in A-Rod's down time.

redsfandan
03-10-2009, 01:19 PM
This is about the worst thing that could happen to the yankees. They have some pretty good players on offense but outside of AFraud and Teix they just don't impress me THAT much for all the money they spend. Imo, with Boston and Tampa in the same division this could hurt NY alot. Their playoff chances will depend on how much time he misses. Miss too much and there's no way they make it.

mlh1981
03-11-2009, 03:32 PM
It might actually do them some good, because they won't have that whole distraction hanging over their head. They can just go out and play baseball, and won't have to answer a bunch of questions.

JBChance
03-11-2009, 04:21 PM
It might actually do them some good, because they won't have that whole distraction hanging over their head. They can just go out and play baseball, and won't have to answer a bunch of questions.

I would bet that they don't see it that way. You just don't replace his kind of talent.

mlh1981
03-13-2009, 06:32 PM
I would bet that they don't see it that way. You just don't replace his kind of talent.

They have started off slow the past few years, as if they were waiting until later in the season to "turn it on." I'm saying maybe this will make them feel as if they have now obtained some sort of "underdog" status.

JBChance
03-14-2009, 12:32 PM
They have started off slow the past few years, as if they were waiting until later in the season to "turn it on." I'm saying maybe this will make them feel as if they have now obtained some sort of "underdog" status.

A-Rod hit .286/.495/.343 in Apr., .293/.610/408 in May, and .366/.693./455 in June. That's a lot of production to be without, no matter how you slice it.

They're saying 6 to 9 weeks. Imo, that means at least 10 maybe 12 weeks. They are not better off without him. Maybe in the PR department, but not on the field.

Because they missed the postseason last year, they'll have a chip on the shoulder already.

But, "underdog" status doesn't drive in runs.