PDA

View Full Version : Hoosiers and Daylight Savings

DTCromer
03-09-2009, 07:51 AM
I hate it.

What was the excuse our lawmakers went to it anyway? Saving ourself costs on energy?

:thumbdown

bucksfan2
03-09-2009, 09:48 AM
I love it but Im not a Hoosier. I would much rather drive into work in darkness and have an extra hour after work than vice versa. It won't be too long before I am able to play 18 holes after work, weather permitting.

Hoosier Red
03-09-2009, 09:55 AM
As a non-native Hoosier I love it, daylight until 10PM in the summer is awesome. Apparantly though the electrical benefits are negligible.

SunDeck
03-09-2009, 11:33 AM
It makes it real hard to get the kids to sleep. That doesn't matter much to me in the summer, but it's a real pain from now until school is out. It always made sense to me that Indiana stayed on standard time; being on the western edge of the time zone gives you a later sunset anyway. By the same token, I could never get used to the early darkness on the east coast in the Winter.

westofyou
03-09-2009, 11:35 AM
By the same token, I could never get used to the early darkness on the east coast in the Winter. 4:15 here in December, it's brutal.... 10:30 in the summer...bliss.

Tit for tat.

remdog
03-09-2009, 11:40 AM
I love it but Im not a Hoosier. I would much rather drive into work in darkness and have an extra hour after work than vice versa. It won't be too long before I am able to play 18 holes after work, weather permitting.

I'm with you. I hate walking out of the office at 5:00 PM or so and it's already getting dark. Give me daylight so I feel like there's still time to do something before I huddle in and crash for the night.

Rem

Cyclone792
03-09-2009, 11:51 AM
I hate losing the hour during the weekend, but I love having the sunset being later in the evening. By the time April 1st hits now, sunset will be after 8pm here. It's beautiful in June and July when it's still light out well after 9pm.

LoganBuck
03-09-2009, 01:05 PM
I love it. As a dairy farmer I hate burning a candle at both ends of the day. I get up and start working before sunrise, and during the winter ALWAYS end my chores well after dark. Yesterday I finished up as the sun slipped over the horizon. It only gets better from here.

DTCromer
03-09-2009, 01:08 PM
As a teacher, I definitely noticed a change last spring when we sprang forward because they would be more tired and less energetic in school.

Hoosier Red
03-09-2009, 03:55 PM
That's one pretty constant complaint I've heard is its hard to get kids to go to sleep in the summer. My guess is it's pretty hard to do that anyway.

SunDeck
03-09-2009, 04:00 PM
That's one pretty constant complaint I've heard is its hard to get kids to go to sleep in the summer. My guess is it's pretty hard to do that anyway.

In the summer my kids are beat by bedtime. March and April are hard because they just aren't running around outside as much. Last night I took them swimming at IU and they were nearly out on the way home.

Donder
03-09-2009, 05:39 PM
As a teacher, I definitely noticed a change last spring when we sprang forward because they would be more tired and less energetic in school.

I'm a teacher also and my first period class was not with it at all today. It had a major effect on them.

Tally me as a Hoosier that doesn't like DST. I hate the transitions and don't really care too much for the extra hour at night. I actually like summer nights, camp fires, walks, etc. I also don't like having to wait an extra hour for fireworks. :)

I'm pretty sure the state changed to cater to businesses who claimed that it was difficult to do business with the rest of the country who were on DST. So basically we changed because everyone else was doing it.

Revering4Blue
03-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Mark me down as a Hoosier who hates DST. To me, the issue is more the time zone itself. Indiana is the only state sitting within Central time zone boundries based on Greenwhich mean time. Therein lies the problem... sunrise/sunset are both an hour earlier in New York, which is obviously in EST, than in Indiana. Now we are stuck with the consequences, such as Sunset at 10:00. If Indiana is to observe DST, Central time is the logical choice, IMO and many others feel the same way.

Here's an interesting link.

http://www.hoosiersforcentraltime.com/

RANDY IN INDY
03-09-2009, 06:54 PM
In the summer my kids are beat by bedtime. March and April are hard because they just aren't running around outside as much. Last night I took them swimming at IU and they were nearly out on the way home.

The problem with young kids today is that most of them don't get the opportunity to run around outside when school is in session because of the huge amounts of homework that teachers seem to think is so necessary. Two hours of homework in 5th and 6th grade is way too much.

*BaseClogger*
03-09-2009, 07:04 PM
The problem with young kids today is that most of them don't get the opportunity to run around outside when school is in session because of the huge amounts of homework that teachers seem to think is so necessary. Two hours of homework in 5th and 6th grade is way too much.

A lot of schools are getting rid of or cutting down recess too...

Roy Tucker
03-09-2009, 07:37 PM
A lot of schools are getting rid of or cutting down recess too...

And gym.

I suppose I like the "extra" hour of evening daylight, but it really knocks me off my gyroscope when we go through the time change. It takes me a good 2 weeks to get used to it. And the older I get, the more effect it has upon me. Get off my lawn.

Hoosier Red
03-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Mark me down as a Hoosier who hates DST. To me, the issue is more the time zone itself. Indiana is the only state sitting within Central time zone boundries based on Greenwhich mean time. Therein lies the problem... sunrise/sunset are both an hour earlier in New York, which is obviously in EST, than in Indiana. Now we are stuck with the consequences, such as Sunset at 10:00. If Indiana is to observe DST, Central time is the logical choice, IMO and many others feel the same way.

Here's an interesting link.

http://www.hoosiersforcentraltime.com/

I certainly can see the argument that Indiana should be in the Central Time Zone. But my question is why would you want to be. If you're going to have an extra hour of daylight, would you want it to be at 5AM or at 9 PM.

Maybe I see it differently because I don't have kids, but I can't think of anything that the extra hour of daylight hampers.

If given the choice to be on the far eastern edge of a time zone, or a far western edge of a time zone, I take the western edge every time.

OesterPoster
03-10-2009, 10:19 AM
As a western border Ohioan, I loved it when Indiana didn't observe DST. It made for convenient TV watching without recording shows. It was always easier to catch a show later on a Ft. Wayne station after you had already missed it on the Ohio station. Also, we'd plan lunch or dinner for when we wanted to eat in Muncie or Portland, and we'd miss the Hoosier dinner rush. Also made it convenient when making tee times before the after-work Hoosier rush would hit the courses.

I wish they'd go back too, but more for my benefit than theirs. :)

Revering4Blue
03-10-2009, 07:04 PM
I certainly can see the argument that Indiana should be in the Central Time Zone. But my question is why would you want to be. If you're going to have an extra hour of daylight, would you want it to be at 5AM or at 9 PM.

Maybe I see it differently because I don't have kids, but I can't think of anything that the extra hour of daylight hampers.

If given the choice to be on the far eastern edge of a time zone, or a far western edge of a time zone, I take the western edge every time.

I also don't have kids, but sympathize with those who do--not just getting them to bed, but it really bothers me to see kids walking to school/ waiting for the bus in the dark. Heck, it is difficult to settle myself down to bed at 10:00pm when it is light out. I'll admit that it wouldn't be much of an issue if I were still working 3-11p.m.

Why Central time?

Off the top of my head:

1) TV shows/games beginning at 8 instead of 9.

2)I have friends that are in the drive-in movie business and if it is still light at 10:00 as it is most of the summer, it virtually kills the industry.

3)Central time allows us to be more in line with the rest of the Country. One hour ahead of Denver. One hour behind the East coast. Only two hours behind the West Coast. It is more advantageous for Indiana to in line with Chicago than New York from an Interstate Commerce standpoint.

Granted, I was living in the Raleigh, North Carolina are at the time, but one major problem that I have with this issue is the fact that EDST was more or less rammed down the throats of Hoosiers without even a referendum. We will have to agree to disagree that they should have left well enough alone and remained on EST year- round.

Revering4Blue
03-10-2009, 07:09 PM
As a western border Ohioan, I loved it when Indiana didn't observe DST. It made for convenient TV watching without recording shows. It was always easier to catch a show later on a Ft. Wayne station after you had already missed it on the Ohio station. Also, we'd plan lunch or dinner for when we wanted to eat in Muncie or Portland, and we'd miss the Hoosier dinner rush. Also made it convenient when making tee times before the after-work Hoosier rush would hit the courses.

I wish they'd go back too, but more for my benefit than theirs. :)

Excellent points.

This EST fiasco certainly cannot be helping retail/restaurants in the Fort Wayne area.

Ltlabner
03-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Doing business in Ohio and Indiana was a real pain when they didn't change times along with the rest of the EST states. It's only one hour difference but it's always a hassle setting up appointments, especially if you are near the border and have some in Ohio and some in Indiana. Then some areas recognized Ohio time even though they were in Indiana.

Then throw in the two areas that are Central time and knowing what time it is in Indiana became a total laugh riot. It's not the end of the world, obviously, but it was still a pain.

We always joked that if it was 10:00am in Cincinnati it must be 2:45pm in Muncie.