PDA

View Full Version : Knee surgery for Juan Duran

lollipopcurve
03-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Reds web site has some articles up talking about the minor league system, and in one of them it's said that Duran won't get on the field on time this year due to knee surgery. Anybody know the particulars?

JaxRed
03-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Hope it just a tweak......

dougdirt
03-12-2009, 02:03 PM
It says his start will be delayed this year, which suggests he will get time this year. Sounds like maybe a knee scope or something like that, because something more serious would have been keeping him out longer than that.

OnBaseMachine
03-12-2009, 02:09 PM
It says his start will be delayed this year, which suggests he will get time this year. Sounds like maybe a knee scope or something like that, because something more serious would have been keeping him out longer than that.

Yep. It can't be too serious if he's he going to play this year.

OnBaseMachine
03-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I sent Ben Badler (of BA) an email about Duran and this was his response:

Hi Brandon,

I hadn't heard anything about Duran's injury until I read the report on MiLB.com, which I assume is true. I have a story coming out soon on DSL Prospects to watch, so if I hear anything new on Duran's injury it will be in there, though I know he also had a balky elbow when he signed. I'm not sure whether Duran's season will really be delayed though, since obviously the GCL season doesn't start until the summer.

And then a poster on Doug's website made this post:

DURAN WILL BE HAVING THE KNEE SURGERY ON THE 17TH OF THIS MONTH. ITS A MINOR SUGERY SHOULD BE READY TO PLAY DURING THE EXTENDED SPRING.

It sounds like Duran will probably be ready for the start of the GCL season.

camisadelgolf
03-16-2009, 03:27 PM
HI IM BEN BADLER WORK FOR BASEBALL AMERICA ENJOY THE BASEBALL.

OnBaseMachine
03-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Huh?

camisadelgolf
03-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Huh?
Let's just say I'm not impressed by his intelligibility. ;)

OnBaseMachine
03-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Let's just say I'm not impressed by his intelligibility. ;)

Why?

The part in all caps wasn't from Badler, it came from a poster on Doug's website.

dougdirt
03-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Why?

The part in all caps wasn't from Badler, it came from a poster on Doug's website.

If I recall correctly, that poster claims to be the cousin of JD and has only commented about him in the past.

OnBaseMachine
03-16-2009, 04:07 PM
If I recall correctly, that poster claims to be the cousin of JD and has only commented about him in the past.

I believe you're correct. I remember a few months ago that same poster mentioned that Duran was playing in a Dominican instructional league. Not even two weeks later an article popped up that confirmed Duran was playing in the Dominican instructional league. That guy definitely knows Duran or someone close to him.

camisadelgolf
03-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Why?

I'm an idiot. I thought you meant that Ben had said that. This is like the 5th time in recent memory that I made a mistake in a post as a result of skimming instead of actually reading. Ben Badler, if you're reading this, I'm sorry about that.

And if you are Juan Duran's cousin or whoever said that, feel free to PM me if you want some tips on how to write in English--just don't ask me to help you read because I'm not very thorough.

............................................______ __
....................................,.-...................``~.,
.............................,.-...................................-.,
.........................,/...............................................:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....~,_........~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......=,_.......-,_.......,.-~-,},.~;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......=-._......;,,./`..../............../
...,,,___.\`~,......~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

JaxRed
03-16-2009, 07:43 PM
I watched some practice Sat. Duran was hitting and fielding so it ain't too bad. You could see him favor it a bit as he walked.

lollipopcurve
03-16-2009, 08:03 PM
I watched some practice Sat. Duran was hitting and fielding so it ain't too bad. You could see him favor it a bit as he walked.

Good to hear. What else you got, Jax? Did you see YRod?

OnBaseMachine
03-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Jax, have you been able to catch a glimpse of Junior Arias yet?

JaxRed
03-16-2009, 08:25 PM
I didn't see much of practice. They came out for serious practice about 12:15 and Reds game was at 1 so I took off for TOESS at 12:30.

I actually didn't expect to see Duran because of the reported knee problem so was hoping to see Yorman, and I did see him some. He was hitting full speed BP and didn't do anything to wow me.

Duran is a more impressive specimen at first glance because of his height. And because it was bullpen coach BP, he hit some impressive shots. There are tons of guys so it's hard to catch it all, but I do not remember seeing Arias.

dougdirt
03-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Jax, have you been able to catch a glimpse of Junior Arias yet?

He isn't in ST. Expect him in the DSL.

OnBaseMachine
03-16-2009, 09:10 PM
He isn't in ST. Expect him in the DSL.

Thanks. I figured he would start in the GCL.

Have you heard anything else on Ismael Guillon?

dougdirt
03-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks. I figured he would start in the GCL.

Have you heard anything else on Ismael Guillon?

I have not. He isn't here either, so I would watch for him in the DSL as well.

OnBaseMachine
03-18-2009, 11:59 AM
JD from Doug's website says Duran's surgery was a success and he's expected to miss three weeks.

OnBaseMachine
03-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Duran, Duran
Posted by JohnFay at 3/26/2009 2:24 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Juan Duran, the 17-year-old Dominican outfielder the Reds signed last February, had minor knee surgery. He's going to miss four weeks or so. Not a big deal. But I was talking to Charlie Rodriguez, the assistant trainer for the GCL Reds and Latin player liason, about Duran for a story for our Opening Day section and he had an interesting tidbit.

Duran's surgery was in Cincinnati.

"We were at Kenwood Towne Center walking around and shopping," Rodriguez said. "He told me in Spanish: Don't say a word. I'm going to try to get by. He did all right. He answered yes or no. But he understood what they were saying."

The cultural shock these kids go through must be traumatic. Duran and Yorman Rodriguez, the 16-year-old from Venezuela, are living in a motel here. Neither has a U.S. driver's license.

"It's a huge shock for a 16-, 17-year-old," Rodriguez said. "They're in a different country. They don't speak the language. The food is completely different. We try to help them deal with it the best we can, but it's hard."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3aef2ef939-d551-4a61-aa30-21982763c3ab&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com