PDA

View Full Version : Silly question about furnace filters

Red in Chicago
03-12-2009, 07:40 PM
I bought a new home in November. During the walk-through, the guy told me to buy the cheapest furnace filters, because the type of furnace I had was very high efficient and the better filters don't allow enough air to flow through.

Ok, fine, so I changed the filters a couple of times already, but when the guy was here checking on the whole house humidifier a few weeks ago, he said that I had the wrong type of filters. He said I needed the "honeycomb" filters.

I told him that I was only told to buy cheap ones, no type was actually specified. That all said, I'm not sure what the heck a honeycomb furnace filter is? They pretty much appear to either be flat, or pleated, with some metal on them.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Told you it was silly.

Ltlabner
03-12-2009, 07:47 PM
I have heard of several people using the super-deluxe anti-allergen filters burning out their blower motors. As you point out the motor has to work harder to push the air through the thicker filtering media. Then as the filter gets filled with junk the motor works even harder.

Not sure about "honeycomb" filters. I've always used the el cheepos and had good luck.

Razor Shines
03-12-2009, 07:56 PM
http://www.spira-emi.com/products/products_mainframes/airventfilters_main.htm

Never heard of them but the site says those are "honeycomb" filters.

macro
03-12-2009, 08:36 PM
FWIW, the guy who installed my HVAC said to use the cheapest filters and change them monthly.

JBChance
03-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Same here. I just had my furnace worked on in Dec. The guy said that the cheap ones are best and replace them monthly, especially in the winter.

Roy Tucker
03-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Same here. I just had my furnace worked on in Dec. The guy said that the cheap ones are best and replace them monthly, especially in the winter.

Yep, we got a new heat pump in 2007 and that's what our guy said too. I go to Lowe's and buy a dozen. Change it on the first of the month. Amazing how much dirt gets in them.

Red in Chicago
03-12-2009, 11:33 PM
http://www.spira-emi.com/products/products_mainframes/airventfilters_main.htm

Never heard of them but the site says those are "honeycomb" filters.

Based on the picture, I can see where the "honeycomb" name is coming from. I went out to two different hardware stores tonight in search of a similarly shaped filter...no luck.

The humidifier guy is coming back in the morning, so I'm going to ask his opinion on the filters I'm currently using. I honestly can't believe what I have isn't ok.

durl
03-13-2009, 12:14 AM
I also tried the mid-level allergen filters and had to give them up because they were too restrictive. Now I just stick to the cheap ones. I like the idea of using something that traps allergens but not at the expense of the unit.

*BaseClogger*
03-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Who is supposed to buy the expensive filters? :cool:

macro
03-13-2009, 02:12 AM

People who believe that you get what you pay for? :D

Yachtzee
03-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Here's a question. Our central air system has one of those electric air filters attached to it. It's basically two electric units that slide in along with two metallic honeycomb filters that can be run through the dishwasher. When we bought the house, we had the HVAC guy come out and look at the furnace and heat pump and he recommended pulling out the electric units (said they don't work very well) and just replacing them with one of these:

http://www.filtersfast.com/ProdImages/FiltreteAllergen4inch.jpg.

Are these the ones people seem to be having a problem with?

15fan
03-13-2009, 02:26 PM

Someone like me, who has bad allergies all year long. I change 'em pretty regularly (about every 6 weeks or so), and it's always nasty to compare the white new one with the old one that I take out.

More junk in the filter = less junk in the air in my house.

Less junk in the air = fewer allergy-related issues for yours truly.

nate
03-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Just remember, the rose goes in front.

Oh wait, that's something else.

Just buy the cheap ones.

LoganBuck
03-13-2009, 02:34 PM
My wife and son have allergies and my son has asthma as well. I use mid level filters, but must change them every month. They get pretty yucky during the summer and early fall.

Reds4Life
03-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Here's a question. Our central air system has one of those electric air filters attached to it. It's basically two electric units that slide in along with two metallic honeycomb filters that can be run through the dishwasher. When we bought the house, we had the HVAC guy come out and look at the furnace and heat pump and he recommended pulling out the electric units (said they don't work very well) and just replacing them with one of these:

http://www.filtersfast.com/ProdImages/FiltreteAllergen4inch.jpg.

Are these the ones people seem to be having a problem with?

I had an electric one to, and yanked it out. The filters I use I have to get from the AC company, because none of the standards fit. They are pretty cheap though, and are cut from some type of filtering material they use in commercial units.