PDA

View Full Version : For the wrestling fans!!

WVPacman
03-15-2009, 12:24 AM
http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A1294/129499/300_129499.jpg

Former WWE wrestler
found dead in Tampa

Andrew "Test" Martin was 33
Ric Russo / MyFox Tampa Bay
TAMPA - Another former professional wrestler with ties to the Bay Area has been found dead.

Andrew James Martin, better known to fans as 'Test,' was found dead in his apartment in Hillsborough County according to a release issued by the Tampa Police Department.

Foul play is not suspected.

Officers were dispatched to Martin's unit at the Post Harbour complex just after 8 p.m. Friday to conduct a welfare check.

A neighbor contacted authorities after observing a motionless Martin, 33, through a window over a span of several hours.

TPD officers entered the apartment and found the former World Wrestling Entertainment performer to be deceased.

Martin, who worked as a bouncer in his native Canada before being discovered, joined the WWE in 1998. He won several of the organization's major championships before suffering a severe back injury.

In July 2004 Martin underwent spinal fusion surgery and was released from his WWE contract a few months later.

He attempted several comebacks, most recently with the TNA organization, but health problems forced Martin to announce his retirement in December 2007.

Martin also ran afoul of the law on two occassions since calling it quits, getting arrested on driving under the influence charges in both Pasco and Hillsborough counties.

The official cause of death is not known at this time. An autopsy will be conducted to determine the exact cause of death.

Martin is the fourth former professional wrestlers to pass away in the Bay Area in the past two years.

- Scott 'Bam Bam' Bigelow, 46, was found dead of a drug overdose in his Pasco County home on January 19, 2007.

- Mike Alfonso - who wrestled under the moniker Mike Awesome - committed suicide in his Hillsborough County home on February 17, 2007. He was 42.

- Brian Adams, 44, died of a drug overdose in his Tampa home in August 2007. He performed under several names in his professional wrestling career, working mostly as a tag-team wrestler.

In February 2003, Curt Henning, who wrestled as 'Mr. Perfect,' during his stint with the WWE, was found dead in a Tampa hotel room. He was scheduled to wrestle at the Fairgrounds the day he died; the official cause of death in that case was determined to be cocaine intoxication.

Degenerate39
03-15-2009, 12:34 AM
I was hoping this was about the other kind of wrestling. But I use to be a fan of WWE and this is sad news. Always liked Test

WVPacman
03-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Yeah,I hate this kind of wrestling but I figure they're some on here that like it and deserve to know the news.

Caveat Emperor
03-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Another wrestler dying young -- it's a business that seems kind to only a few top stars, with everyone else being chucked to the curb the minute they can't continue.

The only thing I remember about Test was the storyline he was involved in back in the late-90s where he was supposed to be marrying Vince McMahon's daughter. They were going to have the wedding live on TV and then it was revealed that she was playing him and had gotten married in Vegas to Triple-H the night before.

camisadelgolf
03-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Another wrestler dying young -- it's a business that seems kind to only a few top stars, with everyone else being chucked to the curb the minute they can't continue.

The only thing I remember about Test was the storyline he was involved in back in the late-90s where he was supposed to be marrying Vince McMahon's daughter. They were going to have the wedding live on TV and then it was revealed that she was playing him and had gotten married in Vegas to Triple-H the night before.
Wow, that must be really hard to bounce back from. If that had happened to me, I'm not sure I could have carried on like Test did.

R.I.P. Test.

TeamSelig
03-15-2009, 11:42 PM
pretty sure that was just a storyline, but WWE really needs to do something about wrestlers dying so young

Chip R
03-16-2009, 09:05 AM
pretty sure that was just a storyline, but WWE really needs to do something about wrestlers dying so young

Test had been out of WWE for a couple of years now. He was fired because he failed the drug tests. Other than monitoring them 24/7, I'm not sure what else they could do. And if you're going to blame WWE then TNA should be liable as well since they were the last organization he worked for and they don't even test their performers.

TeamSelig
03-16-2009, 12:56 PM
I was referring to cam's post. I didn't see that Caveat had mentioned it was a storyline, so I'm not sure what cam was talking about. My bad.

Personally, I don't see how WWE "tests" their wrestlers. It is too common to see wrestlers on massive painkillers, mixed with 'roids, etc. Not to mention those who have other drug issues such as cocaine, etc. Test was probably fired because he really had no appeal, wasn't a great performer, etc.

Idk... I'm not big on hating WWE or anything like that, I just think they need to change the way they operate. You don't have to just do drug tests to make sure your wrestlers aren't abusing drugs. Also, they work way too many days of the year. TNA has a nice system where there's not alot of house shows that destroy their bodies with the wear and tear of working a match.

But I think 'roids might be more rampant than in the past. I don't watch it much anymore, but some of these guys are HUGE. I understand they get alot of guys from bodybuilding, but jesus. See Batista.

Oxilon
03-16-2009, 01:03 PM
I was referring to cam's post. I didn't see that Caveat had mentioned it was a storyline, so I'm not sure what cam was talking about. My bad.

Personally, I don't see how WWE "tests" their wrestlers. It is too common to see wrestlers on massive painkillers, mixed with 'roids, etc. Not to mention those who have other drug issues such as cocaine, etc. Test was probably fired because he really had no appeal, wasn't a great performer, etc.

Idk... I'm not big on hating WWE or anything like that, I just think they need to change the way they operate. You don't have to just do drug tests to make sure your wrestlers aren't abusing drugs. Also, they work way too many days of the year. TNA has a nice system where there's not alot of house shows that destroy their bodies with the wear and tear of working a match.

But I think 'roids might be more rampant than in the past. I don't watch it much anymore, but some of these guys are HUGE. I understand they get alot of guys from bodybuilding, but jesus. See Batista.

It's sad to say, but deaths like these kind of 'come with the territory' in regards to professional wrestling. In a sport, and I use that term lightly, where you're suppose to have wreckless abandon for your body, at the same time, have a ridiculously jacked body, rampid steriod use is naturally going to be involved. Not to mention a rather harsh lifestyle of non-stop traveling and becoming somewhat nocternal, I can only imagine what other drugs become inducted into one's life.

It's sad to see, but I wouldn't expect the young deaths of wrestlers to stop any time soon.

camisadelgolf
03-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I was joking. I hate wrestling--it's soap operas for men.

WVPacman
03-16-2009, 11:33 PM
I honestly can't understand why these guys take roids and other drugs just so they have more musle?Why can't they just go and wrestle with the body they already have.All they're doing is ruining their body and shorting their lifes!! They are set for life when they sign that first contract to wrestle so why do they have to mess their lifes up and be misrible until they die.They should just go wrestle and have fun doing without all the drugs.I just can't understand it!!

To be honest I wish they would just make this kind of wrestling illegal and outlaw it which will never happen!!

Oxilon
03-17-2009, 12:38 PM
I honestly can't understand why these guys take roids and other drugs just so they have more musle?Why can't they just go and wrestle with the body they already have.All they're doing is ruining their body and shorting their lifes!!

Because in a fake sport, such as professional wrestling, image is everything. What looks more appealing to the fanbase? An average looking joe performing or a 'roided out freak?

They are set for life when they sign that first contract to wrestle so why do they have to mess their lifes up and be misrible until they die.They should just go wrestle and have fun doing without all the drugs.I just can't understand it!!

To be honest I wish they would just make this kind of wrestling illegal and outlaw it which will never happen!!

I'm pretty sure they're far from set for life after they sign their first contract. In fact, I'm willing to bet there are only a handful or so of wrestlers currently out there that are set for life.

Caveat Emperor
03-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Because in a fake sport, such as professional wrestling, image is everything. What looks more appealing to the fanbase? An average looking joe performing or a 'roided out freak?

Mick Foley is, arguably, one of the top ten fan-favorites in the history of professional wrestling, and it's hard to imagine a more average joe looking guy than him.

I think it's less that the fans demand roided out freaks and more that Vince McMahon has (and always has had) a preference for muscled-up supermen.

RosieRed
03-17-2009, 06:39 PM

The WWE suspends and fines wrestlers all the time for failing drug tests (roid and otherwise). I'm pretty sure a few of the current wrestlers (Jeff Hardy, for example) are on their last leg with the company.

TeamSelig
03-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Really? How many tests has Cena or HHH failed?

Highlifeman21
03-17-2009, 09:32 PM

Both have failed tests within the last 2 years, IIRC.

Typically when one of the entertainers has the "injury" storyline, they either are injured or have failed a drug test.

guttle11
03-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Remember Chris Masters from a year or two back? Failed one test and was suspended. Failed another and was suspended longer. Failed a third and was fired.

Randy Orton was suspended, also.

WWE is in a precarious position. They can't condone steroid use anymore, but they won't tell someone not to shoot up, either. Just don't get "caught". The "suspension" guys face is really a one month working suspension...you work but don't get paid. Supposedly.

Essentially they catch who they want to catch, or who is most convenient, much like the cop sitting along the highway near rush hour. Can't pull everyone over if they're all going 75.

Or they catch those who get arrested for possession, DWI, or are found passed out in a stairwell hopped up on painkillers. They guys who juice, keep their mouth shut and stay off the police blotter will probably never get "caught".

BearcatShane
03-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Some of these guys wrestle 2-4 times a week. Not every event is telivised, it is fake but it still hurts and it takes a toll on your body. This is one sport where I can see why steriod use is so common. Some guys take the stuff just to have energy for the nest match.

RosieRed
03-18-2009, 12:04 AM

I would be surprised if Cena is on roids. He was a body builder long before he was a wrestler. He has *always* been huge. Maybe he did them at one point, but he is their poster boy and he is the face of their "don't do drugs" ad campaign.

Triple H, on the other hand, can probably get away with anything seeing as how he's married to Vince's daughter.

WVPacman
03-18-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm pretty sure they're far from set for life after they sign their first contract. In fact, I'm willing to bet there are only a handful or so of wrestlers currently out there that are set for life.

Im talking about the so called stars of wrestling.Im sure they're are set for life and I understand what you are saying about not all wrestlers are set for life.The so called srubs or what ever they're are called they probably don't get paid much.The stars on the other hand are set for life!!

I could be completly wrong b/c I don't know who the stars are but it would be interesting to see how many stars or fan favorites thats drugs tests have been positive or shown up dead by a early age.They are the ones that im talking about ruining their body and lifes for nothing.

TeamSelig
03-18-2009, 11:51 AM
I would be surprised if Cena is on roids. He was a body builder long before he was a wrestler. He has *always* been huge. Maybe he did them at one point, but he is their poster boy and he is the face of their "don't do drugs" ad campaign.

Triple H, on the other hand, can probably get away with anything seeing as how he's married to Vince's daughter.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d93/adhesion/CneaSteroids.jpg

Idk...

RosieRed
03-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Like I said, maybe he did them at one point. I'm not so sure about now.

savafan
03-18-2009, 10:27 PM
http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/stories/Whos_Failed_WWE_Drug_Tests_30_Names_Inside_AP.shtm l

If you're wondering about the names of the 30+ WWE suspensions, here is an updated list of the history of the program's drug offenders (at least that became public knowledge): Randy Orton (in August 2006 for failing a drug test due to steroids; continued receiving packages from Signature Pharmacy until February 2007, but wasn't suspended again because he had to wrestle John Cena for the WWE title at Unforgiven 2007 and WWE felt that he had "already served his time;" also, openly smoking marijuana backstage at a show in March 2006 was a behavioral suspension and didn't count as a strike), Joey Mercury, Rene Dupree (two-time offender), Kurt Angle, Rob Van Dam (due to a drug possession arrest), Kid Kash, Ryan Reeves, Ryan O'Reilly (call-up to ECW roster relinquished), Balls Mahoney (for painkillers), Drew "Festus" Hankinson (when in developmental in late 2006), Andrew "Test" Martin (later fired), referee Chris Kay (two-time offender, later fired), Jeff Hardy (two-time offender), Chavo Guerrero (may be a two-timer, as he returned as soon as 60 days passed in November 2007), Chris Masters (two-time offender, later fired), Edge, Funaki, Gregory Helms, Booker T (two-time offender), Charlie Haas, Mr. Kennedy, Umaga, William Regal (two-time offender), John Morrison, Gene Snitsky (apparently a drug failure as his name never came up during the Signature Pharmacy scandal), Harry "DH" Smith, Derrick Neikirk (later fired), Neil "Chet the Jet" Bzibziak (later fired), and Afa, Jr. (for attempting to cheat on a drug test with a realistic prosthetic penis). By my count, that's 27 Wellness Policy offenders (at least that we know of) and at least 32 individual drug suspensions, so the WWE spokeswoman was being truthful when she said that there have been over 30 suspensions in the policy's history.

Eric_the_Red
03-19-2009, 12:50 PM
"Balls Mahoney"? :rolleyes:

Oxilon
03-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Mick Foley is, arguably, one of the top ten fan-favorites in the history of professional wrestling, and it's hard to imagine a more average joe looking guy than him.

Alright, Mick Foley is the exception. He replaced rampid steriod use over the years by falling off the top of steel cages onto a pile of nails. Either way, neither will exactly bode well for living a long life.

TeamSelig
03-20-2009, 08:12 AM
http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/stories/Whos_Failed_WWE_Drug_Tests_30_Names_Inside_AP.shtm l

Afa, Jr. (for attempting to cheat on a drug test with a realistic prosthetic penis)

Tha'ts hilarious lol