PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Volunteers Add Top RB

Sea Ray
03-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Lane Kiffin keeps stashing RBs. He added the top recruit in the country according to Rivals.com today when Bryce Brown from Kansas announced he's coming to Knoxville this fall. They've added quite a few studs since signing day and have put together a quality recruiting class, although admittedly the quantity isn't there. It's a good start for the Kiffin era. It all starts with recruiting.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/

Now if only they can put together a semblance of an offensive line to block for him.

LoganBuck
03-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Talent wise they just signed a young Tomlinson. The guy is sick, he can run, and he is a lethal weapon in the passing game.

Sea Ray
03-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Talent wise they just signed a young Tomlinson. The guy is sick, he can run, and he is a lethal weapon in the passing game.

Your passing game comment is good to hear. One report I read listed his only weakness as "his hands".

I think this is an example of where UT reaps the benefits of having a Pro set offense. My guess is this guy did not want to go to a run and shoot.

DTCromer
03-16-2009, 04:29 PM
I applaud the University of Miami for dropping this guy's LOI for the circus he was putting on.

LoganBuck
03-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Your passing game comment is good to hear. One report I read listed his only weakness as "his hands".

I think this is an example of where UT reaps the benefits of having a Pro set offense. My guess is this guy did not want to go to a run and shoot.

He was in the US Army All American game, and he caught two long passes out of the backfield on wheel routes for touchdowns. The dude can fly.

Crazy Talented. In the Ted Ginn, Percy Harvin, Adrian Peterson, Jeremy Maclin, class of game changer. Tennessee just added two wins to their total for this season.

bucksfan2
03-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Something juts doesn't seem so kosher about Kiffin. I have nothing to back this up but I just have a feeling that its a toss up whether or not UT returns to glory or goes on probation during Kiffin's tenure as head coach. Guy has done very little as a head coach and nothing as a college head coach yet has been a bombastic loudmouth attacking all of his competitors.

Sea Ray
03-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Something just doesn't seem so kosher about Kiffin. I have nothing to back this up but I just have a feeling that its a toss up whether or not UT returns to glory or goes on probation during Kiffin's tenure as head coach. Guy has done very little as a head coach and nothing as a college head coach yet has been a bombastic loudmouth attacking all of his competitors.

I can't say I disagree with anything you've written. It does make for an interesting upcoming football season

jmac
06-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Rather than start a new thread, I will ask this in this one.
I continue to see things on ESPN about Tennessee and possible violations with Kiffin. I think the last thing I seen was UT had acknowledged 4 of some sort.
Can any of you UT fans give an update on this ? Is the program facing anything for the upcoming season and how is the Tennessee media treating Kiffin ?

Slyder
06-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Lane Kiffin has found the perfect home in the So Everyone Cheats.

High Mileage
06-09-2009, 03:24 PM
I've seen this kid play several times. He's a stud, playing against competition in Wichita, Kansas. Now we'll see how that translates to playing against some of the best talent in the nation year in and year out.

Both he and his brother openly said they were not interested in KU, but both actually looked into K-State. The directions of the two football programs over the last 3-5 years have been complete opposite. The NCAA is already investigating Brown's "advisor"...

Sea Ray
06-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Rather than start a new thread, I will ask this in this one.
I continue to see things on ESPN about Tennessee and possible violations with Kiffin. I think the last thing I seen was UT had acknowledged 4 of some sort.
Can any of you UT fans give an update on this ? Is the program facing anything for the upcoming season and how is the Tennessee media treating Kiffin ?

Kiffin is fine with the folks in Knoxville so long as he wins. Therefore they are anxiously awaiting the beginning of the new football season. If he loses then they'll turn on him quickly and clamor for a clean program. If he wins the SEC East then they'll overlook his secondary NCAA violations and consider that the cost of doing business.

So all eyes are on Kiffin and the pressure is on him to produce. Nobody's worried about whether all of this will fire up Alabama, Georgia, Florida or UK. These teams hate UT as it is.

15fan
06-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Something juts doesn't seem so kosher about Kiffin. I have nothing to back this up but I just have a feeling that its a toss up whether or not UT returns to glory or goes on probation during Kiffin's tenure as head coach. Guy has done very little as a head coach and nothing as a college head coach yet has been a bombastic loudmouth attacking all of his competitors.

"It's the SEC. If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'."

--Charles Barkley

WMR
06-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Gotta love the hate for the SEC.

BRM
06-10-2009, 10:37 AM

Don't you know? The Big Ten, Big East, Big 12 and ACC are all clean as a whistle.

WVRed
06-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Kiffin is fine with the folks in Knoxville so long as he wins. Therefore they are anxiously awaiting the beginning of the new football season. If he loses then they'll turn on him quickly and clamor for a clean program. If he wins the SEC East then they'll overlook his secondary NCAA violations and consider that the cost of doing business.

So all eyes are on Kiffin and the pressure is on him to produce. Nobody's worried about whether all of this will fire up Alabama, Georgia, Florida or UK. These teams hate UT as it is.

Kiffin is going to get the Billy Gillispie treatment in Knoxville.

Win and you will be fine.

Lose, and Vol fans will nitpick every negative thing they can. With Gillispie, it was the contract/MOU. I'm sure the minor infractions could blow up on Kiffin with a major loss early on.

Fulmer got a longer leash than he likely should have due to him being a native Tennessean and a UT graduate. The Tennessee program has been going downhill for awhile now and a change has been needed.

One person I know here is originally from outside of Knoxville and bleeds orange. He believed it was time for Fulmer to go but wasn't exactly thrilled with the hiring of Lane Kiffin because he didn't have the connections to Tennessee. I'd venture to say that is the feeling of a lot of people down there right now.

Sea Ray
06-10-2009, 03:22 PM
One person I know here is originally from outside of Knoxville and bleeds orange. He believed it was time for Fulmer to go but wasn't exactly thrilled with the hiring of Lane Kiffin because he didn't have the connections to Tennessee. I'd venture to say that is the feeling of a lot of people down there right now.

I think that's pretty accurate. They're not thrilled with Kiffin but they'll support him until he loses

dabvu2498
06-10-2009, 03:30 PM
I think that's pretty accurate. They're not thrilled with Kiffin but they'll support him until he loses So, mid-September? :)

DTCromer
06-10-2009, 03:48 PM

Don't worry, I hate the Big 10 just as much.

Sea Ray
06-10-2009, 09:56 PM
So, mid-September? :)

I don't think they'll expect him to beat FL right away. It'll be based on a lot of things. Can the offense move the ball? Last year was pathetic. In the end, if he doesn't play in a New Years Day Bowl then the heat will build. Like Gillespie at UK, 2 yrs may be all the time he gets. Let's hope they worked something into his contract that if he gets sanctioned by the NCAA for violations he can be terminated. They're idiots if they didn't.

WVRed
06-11-2009, 12:00 AM
I don't think they'll expect him to beat FL right away. It'll be based on a lot of things. Can the offense move the ball? Last year was pathetic. In the end, if he doesn't play in a New Years Day Bowl then the heat will build. Like Gillespie at UK, 2 yrs may be all the time he gets. Let's hope they worked something into his contract that if he gets sanctioned by the NCAA for violations he can be terminated. They're idiots if they didn't.

Thing is though, most every infraction Kiffin has committed is petty and nitpicky. In all honesty (and I am a UK fan), I think a lot of it has to do with Kiffin never coaching in college and not having a full grasp of what to do and what not to do. Unfortunately, the head coaching job at Tennessee does not lend itself to on the job training.

If Tennessee wins, the fans will overlook it.

If they lose, the petty and nitpicky issues will be the reason Kiffin leaves and Tennessee goes "within the family".

dabvu2498
06-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Thing is though, most every infraction Kiffin has committed is petty and nitpicky. In all honesty (and I am a UK fan), I think a lot of it has to do with Kiffin never coaching in college and not having a full grasp of what to do and what not to do. Kiffin was a college assistant for 9 years. He should have learned something in that time. Of course 6 of those years were at USC, so... But seriously, head and assistant coaches run an NCAA gaunlet when they get hired, including a nasty standardized test. Kiffin really should know better.

WVRed
06-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Kiffin was a college assistant for 9 years. He should have learned something in that time. Of course 6 of those years were at USC, so... But seriously, head and assistant coaches run an NCAA gaunlet when they get hired, including a nasty standardized test. Kiffin really should know better.

I stand corrected, I forgot about his time at USC.

Slyder
06-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Kiffin is going to get the Billy Gillispie treatment in Knoxville.

Win and you will be fine.

Lose, and Vol fans will nitpick every negative thing they can. With Gillispie, it was the contract/MOU. I'm sure the minor infractions could blow up on Kiffin with a major loss early on.

Fulmer got a longer leash than he likely should have due to him being a native Tennessean and a UT graduate. The Tennessee program has been going downhill for awhile now and a change has been needed.

*See Rodriguez, Rich and Michigan to see Kiffin's position*

bucksfan2
06-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Kiffin is operating like a lot of college coaches have been in the past few years. If something may be a minor recruiting violation, act on it first, and then apologize later. I don't think Kiffen, the Vols, or their fans will be too upset if they get a minor violation if this top RB takes them to the SEC Championship game.