PDA

View Full Version : Things You'd Like To Do (or Achieve) Before You Leave....

GAC
03-16-2009, 09:43 PM
this good earth.

We were having this discussion at work last night while sitting around.

What are some things you haven't done or achieved, that are realistic in nature, obtainable, that you'd like to achieve before your time is up on this rock. There may be multiple reasons (or excuses) as to why you haven't been able to accomplish them - got married, raised a family, never had the time or money, whatever. But it is a goal or "dream". It doesn't have to be something grandiose, but simply something you'd like to do.

My wife and are reaching our mid-50s and working for retirement within the decade. I have no regrets - life is what you make of it. And my objectives are pretty simple. Always have been. I'm a simple man. When I was younger, I had the opportunity to travel. I've been up and down the entire east coast from Maine to Florida. I lived overseas for two years in Spain. And I've seen the Midwest. But the farthest west I've ever been is Omaha, Nebraska. I want to travel with my wife out west. I want to see landmarks like the Grand Canyon and so many other great places that I've only been able to read about, or see on some documentary on TV. I want to travel through all the western and southwestern states, and take it all in, in my RV. Take my time and enjoy it all.

I had a buddy (coworker) who retired just over a year ago (he was 62), and he and his wife are doing just that. He sold both his homes, and most of his holdings, bought an RV several years ago (nice one too), and all they do is travel. They move all around the country staying in one local for maybe several months, and then move on to wherever they desire.

I want to travel and see this country.

oneupper
03-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Gee...and to think it took me until 2007 to see Cincinnati. :)

Travel, GAC. It's fun. The West is awesome, I've only seen a little of it, but wish to see more.

RVing...on the other hand, is not something I'd really like to do. Maybe that's just me.
I don't know if the adventure factor outweighs the "living in box with wheels" thing.

Redhook
03-17-2009, 09:29 AM
I'd like to play in the Masters. :D Small chance, but you never know. I think I'm going to go next year. I've never been.

I've been to 42 of the 50 states. I look forward to going to Maine, Vermont, N.H., Wyoming, N.D., Idaho, Montana, and Alaska.

I want to go fly-fishing in Montana.

RFS62
03-17-2009, 09:30 AM
See the West. You won't regret it. You could spend years checking it out and never get enough.

Dom Heffner
03-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Each and every single NFL cheerleader.

redsfandan
03-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Have sex.... again. Oh wait, that I haven't done before? Well I like Dom Heffners idea or maybe the west. Can I combine them?

IowaRed
03-17-2009, 09:54 AM
I'd like to see a Duke basketball game at Cameron Indoor Stadium
Would also like to go deep sea fishing but not with a large group of people
I want to be around long enough to see my children grow up

redsfandan
03-17-2009, 10:04 AM
...Would also like to go deep sea fishing but not with a large group of people...

I like that one.

OldRightHander
03-17-2009, 12:50 PM
I have 4 states left to see, but I second the recommendation on the west. I never get enough of going out there. I have a few other things as well. See a game in all MLB stadiums, see an EPL match in England, visit my in laws in Kenya, and do a whole lot more traveling without having to worry about delivery or pick up times.

WebScorpion
03-17-2009, 01:40 PM
I've travelled quite a bit, but mostly for work. I'd like to do some travelling with my wife, probalby to Europe, but Australia, Africa, South America, and China would be on my list too.

I'd like to learn fly fishing and would like to go deep sea fishing as well.

I'd like to climb a real mountain...you know, one with snow on top instead of grass and trees. Nothing spectacular, just one you can hike to for starters.

I'd like to spend just a little more time with my kids.

I'd like to see a volcano up close.

I'm about to move to Portland, OR (from DC) and quit travelling for work, so I hope to accomplish some of these things in the near future. We will be driving in the family van to get there and my 8-year old daughter is helping me plan out all the stops along the way. Cincinnati is the first overnight stop! :thumbup:

macro
03-17-2009, 01:41 PM
The first things that come to mind...

Visit Dealey Plaza in Dallas
Watch the sun set while at a game at Dodger Stadium
Hang out in Beverly Hills
Walk around inside The Colosseum in Rome

westofyou
03-17-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm about to move to Portland, OR (from DC)

Is that so? if you need any info, give a shout out to me, Pedro, Bill Doran, GM, VR and Doc Scott... I think we can fill you in on anything that you might ponder.

Me?

Travel
-----------
Africa safari
Italy and Greece
Australia and surrounding area

Write a baseball book

*BaseClogger*
03-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Write a baseball book

I thinks it's safe to say every member of RZ would buy that book. Make sure you mention us!

Red in Chicago
03-17-2009, 02:16 PM
More travel would be nice. Top two spots are:

Southern Italy and Sicily. Have wanted to go since I was a kid. The long plane ride is what keeps me from going.

California coastline up into Oregon and Washington. I've been to SoCal a few times, but only for day trips from Vegas. I'd like to drive through during the summer time.

RichRed
03-17-2009, 02:32 PM
I want to learn to box, play the piano, and surf - not necessarily in that order.

There are also a million places I want to visit, especially Greece, Italy and Australia.

I will finally get to scratch Cooperstown off the list this spring. Going for the first time as a sort of happy-40th-birthday-to-me gift.

RichRed
03-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Oh, and I want to live in one of the coastal towns near San Diego. Anyone hiring? Will work for surfing lessons.

macro
03-17-2009, 03:35 PM
I will finally get to scratch Cooperstown off the list this spring. Going for the first time as a sort of happy-40th-birthday-to-me gift.

How did I forget that one? Add it to my list. Might as well swing by Canton on the way, and I'd like to go up into that big statue of a woman holding a torch in New York, too, and also the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building.

freestyle55
03-17-2009, 04:18 PM

it's a pretty incredible place...amazing to think how long it's been there and what took place!

freestyle55
03-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Leave the planet (i.e. travel into space) would be the coolest thing I could ever imagine, although the following would be good runners-up:

Watch my son become a man
Grow old happily with my wife
Travel to all 7 continents (3 down...)
A Reds game in every MLB stadium
See Machu Picchu
Hit a hole-in-one
Visit Cooperstown
Celebrate another Reds World Series Championship and a first Bengals Super Bowl win

marcshoe
03-17-2009, 04:27 PM
I'd like to see England, Germany, and China, and I'd like to go back to Australia. I also want to take adriving trip through the west--slowly this time, seeing some of the things I haven't seen yet and revisiting those I have, such as Yosemite and that big ditch in northern Arizona.

MrCinatit
03-17-2009, 05:20 PM
See the Earth from space.
Go to every major league baseball park (and most minor league).
Go to Italy, Japan, the Antarctic and Ireland.
Finish and publish at least 10 more books.
Complete the following baseball card collections:
* 1933 Goudey (still missing six)
* Every Hall-of-Fame card from the 1950s (missing 160).
* Every Reds card from every major set, period.
* At least one card of every player who has been inducted into the Hall. That card must have been made during that player's active career.

Rojo
03-17-2009, 05:26 PM

Visit Dealey Plaza in Dallas
Watch the sun set while at a game at Dodger Stadium
Hang out in Beverly Hills

Funny, I was just thinking about the stuff in this country I haven't seen. (The world is just too big).

Even though I've been to 41 states, I haven't been to Dodger Stadium, Fenway or Wrigley or Cooperstown.

I've never been to an Ivy League campus or Niagra Falls or Mt. Rushmore or Yellowstone. I haven't been to Dealey Plaza or Independence Hall.

I've always long harbored a fantasy of hopping a freight.

Of course I'd throw it all over for Don's cheerleader thing.

redsmetz
03-17-2009, 05:59 PM
I want to learn to box, play the piano, and surf - not necessarily in that order.

There are also a million places I want to visit, especially Greece, Italy and Australia.

I think you're right about the order of that first list. I think I'd learn the piano before taking up boxing!

You'll love Cooperstown. I had goosebumps walking in the doors. I hope I can go back.

My list? I'd like to pick the guitar back up and actually play in a band. When I was young, I wrote poetry. It was mostly teenage angst (good therapy, actually!), but I'd like to do some writing again. Now I just write letters for work (and occasionally to newspapers). My wife writes fabulous poetry and I keep encouraging her to submit some. It's very good.

Travel, I'd like to get back to Germany and see some of our family homesteads (I now know we've got folks who are my dad's second cousins who live on the farm that's been in that family line for over 400 years) and I'd like to get to Ireland and see where my clan is from there. My oldest daughter is going at the end of the month, but not getting a chance to go over to Galway.

MrCinatit
03-17-2009, 06:36 PM
You'll love Cooperstown. I had goosebumps walking in the doors. I hope I can go back.

Cooperstown is, without a doubt, the top place I've been to.
Going during an induction ceremony is even better. That little town can throw a ceremony like no other. I've been to two of them.
And even better is when you get the honor of seeing one of your childhood heroes (Johnny Bench) inducted.
Was 20 years ago since my last visit - I still have great memories, and am itching to return.

GAC
03-17-2009, 09:20 PM
I'd like to see England

One of my biggest regrets when I was stationed din Spain was taking some leave time and going to England. I want to especially see London and get my picture taken on that Abbey Road's crosswalk.

But I would love to travel to England some day too.

wally post
03-17-2009, 10:31 PM
love and be loved. inspire and be inspired.

George Foster
03-18-2009, 01:52 AM
In this order:

Live long enough too:

1) walk my daughter down the aisle

2) see my son get drafted in the baseball draft:)

3) know someone who knows someone so I can play Augusta

4) go to another Reds World Series

5) play a sub-par round of golf

Rojo
03-18-2009, 02:13 AM
2) see my son get drafted in the baseball draft:)

By any particular team?

redsmetz
03-18-2009, 08:25 AM
One of my biggest regrets when I was stationed din Spain was taking some leave time and going to England. I want to especially see London and get my picture taken on that Abbey Road's crosswalk.

But I would love to travel to England some day too.

This was just begging to be quoted:

Well I never been to Spain
But I kinda like the music
Say the ladies are insane there
And they sure know how to use it
They don't abuse it
Never gonna lose it
I can't refuse it, umm

Well I never been to England
But I kinda like the Beatles
Well I headed out for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles
Can you feel it
Must be real it
Feels so good
Woah it feels so good

redsmetz
03-18-2009, 08:29 AM
By any particular team?

Not to answer for George Foster, I also had this dream. Of course, with the last name Metz there was a natural fit and I occasionally imagined a PA announcer saying, "Now batting for the Mets, Metz." :D Never made it through high school ball. I just texted him last night and reminded him to bring his ball glove home. Time for our spring ritual of tossing a baseball in the front yard!