PDA

View Full Version : A. Boone to have open heart surgery

PedroBourbon
03-18-2009, 02:50 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9349278/Boone-to-have-open-heart-surgery?MSNHPHMA#

Root Down
03-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Thats a bummer. They've got it down to a science these days so I'm sure he'll be fine. He must have been contemplating quitting baseball before this because he seems ready to be done with it.

PedroBourbon
03-18-2009, 06:14 PM
The surgery he is having is considered almost "routine" in today's medical era. However, at 36 years of age and a one year contract with Houston as a bench player it will likely end his career. I always liked him. I have the promotional post of him, Kearns, & Dunn from like 4-5 years ago framed in my basement. The black and white "A-Team" poster. Would love to get it signed.

Best of luck to him. Unfortunately he will always be remembered as a Yankee instead of a Red to most baseball fans.

ChatterRed
03-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Did the steroids do this?

OSUmed2010
03-20-2009, 12:22 AM

No, steroids didn't cause this. He has a bicuspid aortic valve. This is a congenital malformation in which the aortic valve has only 2 leaves instead of the usual 3. This type of valve has more turbulent flow, which leads to valve damage and scarring, and eventually aortic stenosis, which is why he needs his valve replaced.

ian_madden
03-20-2009, 02:22 AM
when he cried when he was traded to the yankees was a wonderful thing. He Loved Cincinnati, and wanted to win here. But we will always remember his heroic walk off homerun in the playoffs. The man was clutch.

Eric_the_Red
03-20-2009, 02:57 AM
when he cried when he was traded to the yankees was a wonderful thing. He Loved Cincinnati, and wanted to win here. But we will always remember his heroic walk off homerun in the playoffs. The man was clutch.

IIRC, didn't he ask to be traded after his poor manager of a father was fired, and then immediately change his story in the public to gain sympathy? Then he was all smiles after arriving in NY. I remember losing a lot of respect for the guy after that.

JBChance
03-21-2009, 03:25 AM
IIRC, didn't he ask to be traded after his poor manager of a father was fired, and then immediately change his story in the public to gain sympathy? Then he was all smiles after arriving in NY. I remember losing a lot of respect for the guy after that.

Tough situation. Imagine working at a place where your father was let go. And, by the way, his replacement is your new boss. I can bet that he didn't consider his father a failure, so he might not have been to happy with the Reds.

I remember thinking that it was going to be an issue with Aaron when it went down with his dad. I think he made the best of it.

Ghosts of 1990
03-21-2009, 01:00 PM

+1

He was the first player I ever met at Redsfest and he was a class act.

Ghosts of 1990
03-21-2009, 01:01 PM

Come on now.

Bret Boone used steroids. There is nothing to suggest that Aaron Boone ever did.

mroby85
03-22-2009, 12:05 AM

If it was steroids that did this, would you not feel bad for him?

I'm just curious, because when a disgustingly obese person has heart problems from eating too many whoppers, people usually feel bad for them, instead of making a statement like, was it the fast food?

mlh1981
03-24-2009, 05:58 PM
He was my favorite player on the Reds in the early part of the decade. I remember going to a Reds game.........it must have been in 2002, when they were playing the Pirates. The weather was horrible, and there was a long rain delay. I also believe it was the Chris Sabo bobblehead doll giveaway game. Anyway, in extra innings, he went YARD, and sent everyone home happy. That's Boone in a nutshell. He wasn't just clutch as a Yankee. He had many clutch plays for us as well.

Best of luck to him.

Ghosts of 1990
03-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Get well soon Aaron. Guy was a winner.