PDA

View Full Version : Where does Daryl Thompson fit into all of this?

Kingspoint
03-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Owings #5 Starter.

Bailey #6 Starter.

Is Masset the #7 starter or is Thompson, or someone else, and if so, does that push Thompson down to as low as the #9 starter and permanently in Louisville for 2009?

I'm perfectly alright with him spending half a season in the minors and building up more strength so he can become a 180-200 Inning pitcher in 2010 when he replaces Arroyo.

That said, it's very possible that he pitches so well at Louisville, that the team can't ignore him and will have to promote him in July.

gedred69
03-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Thompson will have the opportunity to show he can stay healthy,-----in Louisville. He could easily leap-frog Masset, but I don't see that as an issue, as Masset will soon be gone, (no options). Question is, where does his chance come from? Who will stumble?

schmidty622
03-18-2009, 09:05 PM
With Thompson's history of arm troubles, I see a move to the bullpen being his best chance at MLB success.

JBChance
03-18-2009, 09:18 PM
He works in AAA until someone falls out of the rotation. He will have his shot then, at probably long relief.

Masset should be gone. He's shown very little.

dunner13
03-18-2009, 09:22 PM
reality is that probably 8 to 10 pitchers will get starts this year. So thompson will probaby get his chance.

Griffey012
03-18-2009, 09:32 PM
If you are going to ask where Thompson is we also have to look at where Ramon Ramirez is. It is nice having a problem like this for once.

Rusty the Red
03-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Thompson will be in Louisville - where he belongs for now. Last season we were forced to reach quite deep into our system, but I'm positive that management would have loved to not have to have done that. He will only be used if needed. He is a work in progress.

Masset could easily miss the cut and be gone - that does not help Thompson a great deal though.

Brian
03-19-2009, 01:29 PM
I know this isn't a Masset thread, but man, I really wouldn't mind at all if the team let him go. He appears serviceable, but it's nice to say, the Reds have better young options at this point and could do better than serviceable at his spot in the pen.

Kingspoint
03-19-2009, 04:38 PM
I know this isn't a Masset thread, but man, I really wouldn't mind at all if the team let him go. He appears serviceable, but it's nice to say, the Reds have better young options at this point and could do better than serviceable at his spot in the pen.

It was one of those, "what's the best we can get for Junior to get someone to take him off our hands?". Someone tossed us Masset. Walt Jockety ain't no Wayne Krivsky when it comes to making trades.

Let Masset go. He's in the way for the development of others, and he'll add losses instead of wins to the team.