PDA

View Full Version : Former Cowboy S Roy Williams visiting the Bengals today.

Handofdeath
03-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Ex-Dallas Cowboys safety Williams visiting Cincinnati

12:05 AM CDT on Thursday, March 19, 2009

IRVING Roy Williams is in Cincinnati, visiting with the Bengals, where he could be reunited with defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

According to Williams' agent, Jordan Woy, Williams has already turned down one offer and he has two more potential visits.

Todd Archer

BearcatShane
03-19-2009, 04:59 PM
I know he has been pretty good, is he still a top safety? I haven't be able to see him play the last year. I'd have to think he'd be an upgrade over what we have.

Oxilon
03-19-2009, 05:18 PM
The dude is a linebacker playing safety. This is a potential typical Bengals move; signing a player a couple years after their prime.

NJReds
03-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Terrible in coverage - good TE's abuse him. And in the last couple seasons, he's missed tackles because he tries to make the big hit and doesn't wrap up.

Handofdeath
03-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Terrible in coverage - good TE's abuse him. And in the last couple seasons, he's missed tackles because he tries to make the big hit and doesn't wrap up.

Why do you think he's always horse collaring people? Either he's gotten beat on a pass play or missed a tackle on a run play and he's having to chase people from behind. He became just like Anthony Henry, a player who got a fat contract and became lazy and stopped working hard and doing the little things.

chicoruiz
03-19-2009, 06:02 PM
If they sign him, I hope they try to make a blitzing linebacker out of him, cause he can't cover Betty White.

Eric_the_Red
03-19-2009, 06:05 PM
I agree...sign him and move him to LB. Anything else is a waste of $$.

Redhook
03-19-2009, 06:46 PM
So the Bengals are near their cap room and have no money for the decimated offensive line, yet they have time to entertain thoughts of adding Roy Williams? Interesting.....

bucksfan2
03-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Guy is constantly considered the most over rated player in football. I still remember Matt Schobel running away from Williams for a TD. His legend will forever be the qb sack/safety of Chris Sims in the OU UT game. One of the all time highlights. Unfortunately for Williams he is more interested about highlights than every down plays.

WVRed
03-20-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm ok with signing him as long as 1. It is cheap and 2. He is willing to be flexible and move around if need be.

Chris Crocker isn't a long term answer at safety and the jury is still out on Ndukwe. Could be worse...

Highlifeman21
03-24-2009, 02:36 PM
So the Bengals are near their cap room and have no money for the decimated offensive line, yet they have time to entertain thoughts of adding Roy Williams? Interesting.....

Definition of a Bengals move

Patrick Bateman
03-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Well I think some of his coverage issues can be attributed to some injuries that he tried to play a bit through.

It wasn`t that long ago that Williams was considered one of the better safties in the league, and he`s still young enough to rebound if his health issues are completely cleared up.

This team isn`t exactly set at saftey. Instead, it`s another position filled with decent back-ups and potential starters. Can he be had cheap, and considering who our defensive coordinator is, this may be a pretty good risk reward type of move.

JBChance
03-26-2009, 04:03 AM
This team isn`t exactly set at saftey. Instead, it`s another position filled with decent back-ups and potential starters. Can he be had cheap, and considering who our defensive coordinator is, this may be a pretty good risk reward type of move.

Very true. He is a good tackler. A lot of strong safeties are tackle-first type guys, anyway.

Might catch some rebound action if he's trying to resurrect his career.

NJReds
03-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Very true. He is a good tackler. A lot of strong safeties are tackle-first type guys, anyway.

Might catch some rebound action if he's trying to resurrect his career.

Thing is, he's not a great tackler. He is a big hitter, but doesn't wrap up.

Opposing offensive coordinators would constantly expose him by getting him matched on tight ends. He has little to no coverage skills left. The Cowboys were forced on many occasions to drop DeMarcus Ware into coverage against TEs.

DaytonFlyer
03-26-2009, 01:25 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This would remind me of the Dexter Jackson signing if they bring him in.

JBChance
03-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Thing is, he's not a great tackler. He is a big hitter, but doesn't wrap up.

Opposing offensive coordinators would constantly expose him by getting him matched on tight ends. He has little to no coverage skills left. The Cowboys were forced on many occasions to drop DeMarcus Ware into coverage against TEs.

506 tackles in 7 seasons with 39 passes defensed and 19 int. He has 73 more tackles than Polamalu, 30 more than Brian Dawkins and 36 more than Darren Sharper in the same time period. I'd say he can hit/ tackle OK. In comparison, BTW, Crocker has 321 tackles with 29 passes defensed and 8 int. in 6 seasons.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This would remind me of the Dexter Jackson signing if they bring him in.

Dexter Jackson? An OK player (433 tackles in 11 seasons with 25 passes defensed and 17 int.), but not the same caliber as a player like Williams. Williams has played in multiple pro bowls. Best thing that Jackson did was be the MVP of Super Bowl XXXVI.

Look, I'm not saying he's the second coming. His problems in coverage are well documented. But, he is still only 28 - he might be able to turn it on, especially after being released. He'd have to come cheap, because we don't have to cap room to work with.

I don't think it'll happen, anyway, because we just signed Crocker. But, it is not that idiotic of an idea. He has more tackles than all of our other safeties, save Crocker, combined.

bucksfan2
03-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Dexter Jackson? An OK player (433 tackles in 11 seasons with 25 passes defensed and 17 int.), but not the same caliber as a player like Williams. Williams has played in multiple pro bowls. Best thing that Jackson did was be the MVP of Super Bowl XXXVI.

Look, I'm not saying he's the second coming. His problems in coverage are well documented. But, he is still only 28 - he might be able to turn it on, especially after being released. He'd have to come cheap, because we don't have to cap room to work with.

I don't think it'll happen, anyway, because we just signed Crocker. But, it is not that idiotic of an idea. He has more tackles than all of our other safeties, save Crocker, combined.

Williams was never a pro bowl player. He went to pro bowls but that was more a result of his highlight type hits. He is awful in coverage and a pretty poor tackler.

How do you tell a guy who has spent his entire career going for the kill shot to hit a player, wrap him up, and drive him to the ground?

NJReds
03-27-2009, 10:25 AM
506 tackles in 7 seasons with 39 passes defensed and 19 int. He has 73 more tackles than Polamalu, 30 more than Brian Dawkins and 36 more than Darren Sharper in the same time period. I'd say he can hit/ tackle OK. In comparison, BTW, Crocker has 321 tackles with 29 passes defensed and 8 int. in 6 seasons.

Hey. Good luck if the Bengals sign him. I don't dislike him, I'm just glad he's not in the Cowboys secondary anymore.

Maybe in the right system with the right D-coordinator, he can have a good season. But he's an overrated tackler and poor in coverage.

JBChance
03-29-2009, 10:07 PM
I still don't see how you can call a guy that has as many tackles as he has, a poor tackler. It seems that the "overrated" stigma seems to be more of a perception about his style more than anything else.

Zimmer must have liked him enough when he coached him, to bring him in for a look-see. Maybe he thinks he can get Williams' ship righted? Zimmer claimed he could cover still, but, since they haven't signed him, he probably came to the other conclusion.

One thing is for sure. Even if you don't consider Williams the answer, we are still not set in the safety department, with what talent we have now.

NJReds
03-30-2009, 08:55 AM
I still don't see how you can call a guy that has as many tackles as he has, a poor tackler. It seems that the "overrated" stigma seems to be more of a perception about his style more than anything else.

Because I'm a Cowboys fan and I've watched him play throughout his career. I hope he does well. Maybe he didn't fit into the 3-4 system. Maybe he's gotten himself into better condition now that he's unemployed. But he's not a great tackler anymore, and he a liability in coverage.

JBChance
03-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Because I'm a Cowboys fan and I've watched him play throughout his career. I hope he does well. Maybe he didn't fit into the 3-4 system. Maybe he's gotten himself into better condition now that he's unemployed. But he's not a great tackler anymore, and he a liability in coverage.

I certainly respect your opinion. You clearly would know him, as a player, better than most.

So, its a deterioration of skills, then. I guess I can understand that better than saying that he was/ is a junk player. If he truly can't tackle anymore, then he isn't even remotely worth it.

Being only 28, we might be able to catch him on a rebound/ comeback. We'll have to hope that Zimmer can determine whether he's got anything left in the tank.

Unless he really wowed Zimmer, it'll be time to move on 'cause we have more pressing needs. I just hate to not look at options like this.

NJReds
03-30-2009, 12:46 PM
I certainly respect your opinion. You clearly would know him, as a player, better than most.

So, its a deterioration of skills, then. I guess I can understand that better than saying that he was/ is a junk player. If he truly can't tackle anymore, then he isn't even remotely worth it.

Being only 28, we might be able to catch him on a rebound/ comeback. We'll have to hope that Zimmer can determine whether he's got anything left in the tank.

Unless he really wowed Zimmer, it'll be time to move on 'cause we have more pressing needs. I just hate to not look at options like this.

Zimmer has experience with Williams. Like I said, maybe he'll be motivated and put in a better scheme. Maybe a change of scenery will do him good. I always liked him, and I hope he does well.

JBChance
05-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Well, for better or for worse, he's in stripes.

It's a low risk flyer - one year deal with a bunch of incentives. I'm optimistic that he'll play to get those incentives.

I still can't believe how the Bengals are going after free agents. Its staggering.

NJReds
06-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Now I do think the Bengals should bring in Greg Ellis. There's still gas in the tank, and he'll be even better in the 4-3.

WVRed
06-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Now I do think the Bengals should bring in Greg Ellis. There's still gas in the tank, and he'll be even better in the 4-3.

I agree on Ellis (if he is available), but I look for this to be the year the defense turns the corner.

DE-Antwan Odom, Robert Geathers
DT-Domata Peko, Pat Sims/Tank Johnson
LOLB-Rashad Jeanty
MLB-Rey Maualuga
ROLB-Keith Rivers
CB-Leon Hall, Jonathan Joseph
FS-Chris Crocker
SS-Roy Williams

Hoosier Red
06-03-2009, 09:47 AM
I agree on Ellis (if he is available), but I look for this to be the year the defense turns the corner.

DE-Antwan Odom, Robert Geathers
DT-Domata Peko, Pat Sims/Tank Johnson
LOLB-Rashad Jeanty
MLB-Rey Maualuga
ROLB-Keith Rivers
CB-Leon Hall, Jonathan Joseph
FS-Chris Crocker
SS-Roy Williams

I think it will and should be Maualuga on the LOLB and Dhani Jones in the middle. But it's nice that there's some depth in any case.