PDA

View Full Version : Donte' Stallworth is in a boatload of trouble

WMR
03-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Miami Herald reporting that his BAC was .12 when he struck and killed a pedestrian earlier this week (legal limit is .08). :(

BRM
03-20-2009, 12:02 PM
I saw this on the ticker last night. However, ESPN now has an article claiming the Miami police won't confirm the report.

Police: Stallworth report unconfirmed

Miami police won't confirm a local television report that says Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth was legally drunk when a car he was driving hit and killed a man last Saturday.

''We have not released anything regarding the blood work,'' said Jenny Velazquez, a Miami Beach police spokeswoman to the Miami Herald. "We're not confirming anything.''

Stallworth has not been charged with a crime in the death of Mario Reyes, a 59-year-old Miami man. Police said they expect results of a toxicology report on Friday, and "we will not be releasing those results until we make an arrest," Miami Beach police detective Juan Sanchez said, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Television station WSVN-Fox reported Thursday that Stallworth had a blood alcohol level of .12, which is over the legal limit of .08.

Stallworth, who was driving his Bentley in Miami Beach at the time of the accident, released a statement Wednesday through the Browns.

"My family and I are grief stricken over the tragic accident which occurred Saturday on Miami Beach where Mario Reyes sadly lost his life," Stallworth said. "My thoughts and prayers are with the Reyes family during this incredibly difficult time. Unfortunately, since this accident is still under police investigation, I cannot comment further on the matter at this time."

cincrazy
03-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm sorry, but I just don't feel sorry for Stallworth. A 59 year old man lost his life, unjustly, because Stallworth is an idiot. The sooner he gets locked up the better.

TeamSelig
03-20-2009, 12:24 PM
His career is now over.

Sea Ray
03-20-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm sorry, but I just don't feel sorry for Stallworth. A 59 year old man lost his life, unjustly, because Stallworth is an idiot. The sooner he gets locked up the better.

No need for you to apologize. You're correct. It's Stallworth's problem now. I said from the beginning if he passed the blood tests he'd be fine. Unfortunately that's not the case. His football career is now in jeopardy.

This makes two Tennessee Volunteers that have killed people while driving drunk, Leonard Little. Not good, but I'm still pissed at Stallworth for fumbling in the SEC Championship game keeping UT from a once in a lifetime chance to go to the Rose Bowl...:(

DTCromer
03-20-2009, 12:34 PM
His career is now over.

Why is it? Leonard Little did the same thing and Comrade Goodell still lets him play.

BuckeyeRedleg
03-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Just curious, but is it possible that he had a night on the town, got wasted, went to bed, and woke up still (legally) drunk?

Not that it makes it any better or brings back the poor guy that died, but it would seem to be less criminal if that were the case.

Also, does anyone have any idea of the details? Hypothetical. What if the pedestrian is at fault (and would have been hit regardless)?

dabvu2498
03-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Just curious, but is it possible that he had a night on the town, got wasted, went to bed, and woke up still (legally) drunk? Not that it makes it any better or brings back the poor guy that died, but it would seem to be less criminal if that were the case. Also, does anyone have any idea of the details? Hypothetical. What if the pedestrian is at fault (and would have been hit regardless)? Driving while impaired is what it is regardless of when it is. To your last point, Stallworth's attorney may have something to work with if the guy was jaywalking.

BuckeyeRedleg
03-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Driving while impaired is what it is regardless of when it is. To your last point, Stallworth's attorney may have something to work with if the guy was jaywalking.

Yeah, I get that. However I don't think some realize that while they think they might be doing the responsible thing and sleeping over at a friend's house after a few too many, that the fuzzy hangover feeling in the morning might still be the fact that they are over .08. I understand the legal ramifications.

It might not have even anything to do with this case, but I guess I was just thinking out loud whether one realizes they are doing "wrong" once sunrise hits.

TeamSelig
03-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Even if he was jaywalking, the fact that he was DUI makes him at fault.

His career is over because he'll likely be in jail for a long period of time and now they just love to hand out suspensions. I just think his career is probably over now.

bucksfan2
03-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Even if he was jaywalking, the fact that he was DUI makes him at fault.

His career is over because he'll likely be in jail for a long period of time and now they just love to hand out suspensions. I just think his career is probably over now.

Agreed. But it will be interesting to see if he gets Leonard Little treatment or your everyday citizen treatment.

What intreagues me is the .12 BAC that early in the morning. There probably have been times where I have driven home the morning after with a illegal BAC. Its just a bad, bad, unfortunate decision that Stallworth made.

TeamSelig
03-21-2009, 12:29 PM
.12 is pretty significant though. What time was it when this happened?

Sea Ray
03-21-2009, 01:00 PM
The accident was 7am. He said he quit drinking at about 1am if I recall correctly

TeamSelig
03-21-2009, 02:50 PM
That would put him at roughly .21 at 1am, which is completely hammered (almost 3x the legal limit)

camisadelgolf
03-21-2009, 05:52 PM
How does someone stop drinking at 1:00? That's not even last call! Then again, if he had a .21 BAC, maybe he didn't have much choice.

remdog
03-25-2009, 05:45 PM
http://sports.iwon.com/news/03252009/v1220.html

Police: Stallworth Says Warned Man Before Impact
Mar 25, 11:27 AM (ET) Email this Story

By CURT ANDERSON
MIAMI (AP) - Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth said he flashed his car's headlights to warn a pedestrian before fatally striking the man in Miami Beach last month, according to a report released by police.

The report released Tuesday also said the pedestrian, 59-year-old Mario Reyes, wasn't in a crosswalk when Stallworth's Bentley hit him.

According to the report, Stallworth told officers he flashed his lights to try to warn Reyes, a construction crane operator who was rushing to catch a bus after getting off work around 7:15 a.m. March 14.

Police said Stallworth was driving about 50 mph in a 40 mph zone. They are investigating whether alcohol played a role in the accident. No charges have been filed against Stallworth pending the outcome of blood tests.

A police diagram shows that Reyes was hit in the far left lane of the six-lane MacArthur Causeway - not in a nearby crosswalk. Stallworth stopped a few feet away.

Police also released calls from three people who dialed 911 that morning.

The first, a woman, said, "There's a man laying in the middle of the road." The dispatcher asked for her location and a description of the victim.

Then the woman blurted: "He's dead. He's dead ... He was just laying in the middle of the road. I think he's dead."

When the dispatcher asked what happened, the woman said, "I don't know, I don't know, he's just lying in the middle of the road."

None of the callers apparently witnessed the accident. One man, saying he was on his way to work, said he "heard a hit" and then saw Reyes lying in the roadway. A few moments later, a police officer arrived.

Stallworth's attorney declined comment Tuesday but has said his client is cooperating with police. Stallworth last week released a statement saying he was "grief stricken" over the accident.

Stallworth signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns before last season but was injured most of the year. He was scheduled to receive a $4.75 million signing bonus the day before the accident. Before that, he played for New England, Philadelphia and New Orleans in the NFL and in college for Tennesse.

If Stallworth had the presents of mind to flash his lights, why didn't he just tap his breakpeddle a bit and avoid the collission that way?

Rem

WMR
03-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Braking could likely be proven or disproven. Proving that he "flashed his lights" is impossible. Sounds like the groundwork for his legal defense, IMO.

dabvu2498
03-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Braking could likely be proven or disproven. Proving that he "flashed his lights" is impossible. Sounds like the groundwork for his legal defense, IMO. Doubt it. Just makes it sound more like he was intoxicated to me, for the reason rem mentioned. If I were his attorney, I would not have wanted that info in front of a jury.

WMR
03-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Doubt it. Just makes it sound more like he was intoxicated to me, for the reason rem mentioned. If I were his attorney, I would not have wanted that info in front of a jury.

I'm sure he's lawyered up at this point, so you figure that his attorney approved this statement?

dabvu2498
03-25-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm sure he's lawyered up at this point, so you figure that his attorney approved this statement? I'm guessing he said that to the cops at the scene. Any defense lawyer worth his salt wouldn't let him say "hello" to the cops after the fact.

WMR
03-25-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm guessing he said that to the cops at the scene. Any defense lawyer worth his salt wouldn't let him say "hello" to the cops after the fact.

That makes perfect sense.

I was thinking he released a statement for some reason. :doh:

JBChance
03-27-2009, 01:53 AM
If he was legally intoxicated, he will get charged, for certain. Even if it really wasn't his fault. Laws regarding alcohol and driving are very strict, any more - with good reason, imo. There have been some reports that he was, but I not sure if they are confirmed.

Anyway you slice it, its a horrible situation for everyone involved.

CTA513
04-01-2009, 07:48 PM
The latest on Stallworth from wsvn.com:

Prosecutors charge Stallworth with DUI manslaughter

MAIMI BEACH, Fla. (WSVN) -- Miami-Dade prosecutors have charged Donte Stallworth with DUI manslaughter for an accident in South Florida.

On Wednesday, State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle announced that the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office has criminally charged the Cleveland Browns wide receiver. Stallworth is set to appear before a judge tomorrow to face the charges, which carry a 15-year sentence behind bars, if convicted. Even with a plea deal, a conviction would mean mandatory jail time, considering the manslaughter charge.

The arrest affidavit said bond will be set at $200,000 and detailed the conditions of his release, which include no use of alcohol or drugs with random drug and alcohol testing through the NFL's Program for Substance abuse.

Pending his trial Stallworth will have to give up his passport and reside only in Cleveland and Miami, where he is to consistently report to the pre-trial services in those cities. If he must travel within the U.S. he must advice pre-trail services 24 hours in advance.

Stallworth will also be under curfew between the hours of 12 midnight and 6 a.m. He is also not allowed to drive.

About two weeks ago, a source with knowledge of the investigation revealed exclusively to Channel 7 that Stallworth's blood alcohol level was one to two times over the legal limit when he struck and killed a pedestrian in Miami Beach, on March 14. Police have since revealed his BAC was somewhere right in the middle, at .12.

Miami Beach Police are handling the case and have been in touch with Stallworth's lawyer to negotiate the terms of his surrender.

On that fateful Saturday morning, at about 7:15, Stallworth was headed toward South Beach when he struck and killed 59-year-old Mario Reyes with his Bentley on the MacArthur Causeway. Reyes, a construction worker, was heading to a bus stop after getting off of work.

Miami Beach Police responded to the scene where they performed a field sobriety test on Stallworth. He also cooperated with a blood test, which the responding officers administered on the scene.

Stallworth recently signed a $35 million contract with the Browns. He previously played with the New England Patriots and the Philadelphia Eagles.

Source: http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI117012/

Slyder
08-14-2010, 12:38 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=lc-stallworthsecondchance081210

Thought this story was worth bringing this thread back up.

Cedric
08-14-2010, 12:55 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=lc-stallworthsecondchance081210

Thought this story was worth bringing this thread back up.

I'm confused. That story says he woke up at 1 AM and drove drunk to get water? Please tell me I am reading that wrong.

Slyder
08-14-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm confused. That story says he woke up at 1 AM and drove drunk to get water? Please tell me I am reading that wrong.

Where do you see 1 AM? It just says he woke up and decided to go get breakfast after he couldnt find water.

BoydsOfSummer
08-14-2010, 09:39 PM
What an awful sign that was for my Browns. And long before this incident.