PDA

View Full Version : Rosales vs. Keppinger....Who should get the job?

Kingspoint
03-21-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm with Rosales. I like his defense a lot better, and Keppinger doesn't take pitches, so anyone on base in front of him won't be able to steal any bases, counter-productive to the new philosphy they have. It eliminates him from being able to bat in the #2 hole, leaving only the #1 spot (not likely since he has no speed) and the #8 spot. The #8 spot would be fine, but if Rosales doesn't work out, he can always be sent down during the season, where there's no place for Keppinger to go if he keeps hitting the way he does.

BEETTLEBUG
03-21-2009, 02:57 PM
I second the Vote for Rosales.

mroby85
03-21-2009, 03:06 PM
I think it definitely goes to keppinger. I think people forget how this guy was hitting last year before he fractured his knee-cap. I've never been that impressed with Rosales aside from the fact that he hustles, and the person who wins this job will most likely be a pinch hitter off the bench. I think Keppinger is obviously a better hitter that almost always puts the ball in play, striking out very seldomly.

ChatterRed
03-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Small sample size for Rosales. If you wanna base it on one good spring training, then give him a chance.

Keppinger could easily just be in a slump. His past efforts say he is just in a slump right now.

Jones1
03-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Kepp has no options Rosales has many this is a no brainer! Now If Kepp is playing poorly the first month of the season then you think about possibly releasing him and bringing Rosales up but right now NO WAY!

reds1869
03-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Go with Kepp. One Spring Training does not a ball player make.

redsfandan
03-21-2009, 05:43 PM
IF they get rid of Kepp it will likely be through a trade so they can at least get something for him.

Jeff Keppinger-SS- Reds Mar. 21 - 8:57 am et

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, Jeff Keppinger has been a topic of discussion among scouts recently and could be shopped before the start of the regular season.

Keppinger is out of options and has been out-hit by Adam Rosales this spring, so a change of scenery definitely could take place. The Reds aren't expected to keep both players on the 25-man roster and manager Dusty Baker has spoken glowingly about Rosales this spring. "He's got some speed. He's got some sock," the Reds manager said Friday. "He's in the mix big time (to make the team)."
Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
Related: Adam Rosales

Ghosts of 1990
03-21-2009, 07:35 PM
I think it will be kep, and I hope. I think Rosales hits like my aunt.

TheNext44
03-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Unless they can get something good for Kepp, I don't see the need to trade him. How many SS did the Reds go through last year? Didn't Jolbert Cabrera start at SS for a bit? You can never have too many good backup players.
Start with Kepp and when the team needs another backup infielder, call up Rosales.
Now if the Reds can get a good top ten prospect for Kepp, that's a different matter.

JBChance
03-21-2009, 11:13 PM
The way they are all going - and throw Janish in there too - I want none of them.

Our only chance is Agon w/ Hairston spot starting. I don't know what happened to Keppinger, but he's fallen off a big cliff.

I mean, I know this started with the knee, but he should be back from that by now. Maybe its a confidence thing.

I'll tell you this: If he's doing the same in a month or so, they will HAVE to do something. With this offense the way it is, we can't have ANOTHER black hole in the lineup. period.

If you're going for the late inning, defensive guy, then Keppinger certainly doesn't fit the bill. I guess I'd take Rosales there, although Janish is supposed to hav more defensive chops.

Roush's socks
03-22-2009, 02:26 AM
What about Valaika?

Jerome
03-22-2009, 02:02 PM
On a team that lacks O and wants to win with small ball, Kepp is the choice. Led the league in ABs per SOs last year (19.1). He puts the ball in play and moves runners, a great hit and run guy...if healthy.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Strider
03-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Last year is history. The only thing that matters is what the coaches think the two of them can do this year and beyond. If I thought we could win a pennant I'd go with Kep. Unfortunately, I think we are a couple years away yet. Kep won't be a part of the future. If I can get value in return, he's gone. Rosales seems to have won the position. The message it sends the young players is if you beat out the veteran, you get a job at the show...that only motivates more of the kids to work their tails off. IF we had a veteran team it might be different. Kep hasn't earned an automatic roster spot...IMHO. Rosales gets the job.

WildcatFan
03-23-2009, 06:03 PM
I think it definitely goes to keppinger. I think people forget how this guy was hitting last year before he fractured his knee-cap. I've never been that impressed with Rosales aside from the fact that he hustles, and the person who wins this job will most likely be a pinch hitter off the bench. I think Keppinger is obviously a better hitter that almost always puts the ball in play, striking out very seldomly.

I don't necessarily think that the person that wins the job will be picked for his hitting. Rosales' left side infield defense is better, and I think he will/should win the job as a late-inning defensive replacement.

Plus the whole options thing.

debra
03-23-2009, 06:10 PM
They are all good players..and for the one that says Rosales hits like his aunt. She must be a great hitter..... Ha that is funny...I think they will pick the one who works the hardest, good luck to them all..Go Reds!!!@

Hondo
03-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Trade Keppinger to the Yankees for OF Nick Swisher...

They get a 3rd Baseman until AROD returns and this team gets a Left Fielder that is a Starter and not a 5 headed Platoon...

I hate those articles in the Dayton News and Enquierer about Interchangable Parts...

gedred69
03-28-2009, 05:40 PM
I've always been a Kepp' fan, but after watching him in 3 ST games myself, and getting input from my Big Brother who continues to watch him, (including today), doubts are mounting. Maybe we're seeing why he never stuck anywhere before. (Hope not, he can cover anywhere in the IF).

mary
03-28-2009, 05:55 PM
My vote is for Rosales! He give 100% at any position he plays. He works hard and gives it all he has. I agree that his batting average isn't the greatest, but he makes up for that with his glove. As a true CUBS fan, I feel the Reds are on their way to a winning season.

Kingspoint
03-28-2009, 05:58 PM
On a team that lacks O and wants to win with small ball, Kepp is the choice. Led the league in ABs per SOs last year (19.1). He puts the ball in play and moves runners, a great hit and run guy...if healthy.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Kepp's not small ball. To play that, you've got to have speed and defense, too. He offers neither.

Kepp's itsy-bitsy ball, and he doesn't do that well anymore.

redsfandan
03-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Trade Keppinger to the Yankees for OF Nick Swisher...

They get a 3rd Baseman until AROD returns and this team gets a Left Fielder that is a Starter and not a 5 headed Platoon...

I hate those articles in the Dayton News and Enquierer about Interchangable Parts...

I don't anyone would trade Swisher for Kepp straight up. But welcome back Hondo. Long time no see.

Here's the latest rumor:

Stark's Latest: Keppinger, Baker, Phillies
By Drew Silva [March 28 at 5:20pm CST]
ESPN.com's Jayson Stark has a new blog post up. Some of this is old news, but probably worth revisiting...

The Reds are dangling infielder Jeff Keppinger, with the Red Sox and Astros as possible suitors.
I wouldn't be surprised to see both Kepp and Masset dealt.

RED VAN HOT
03-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Also, Kepp is hitting the ball on the ground almost 4:1. That would only work for Dickerson or Taveras. Kepp is a LD hitter and he is just not doing it this spring.

Putting defense aside for the moment, I went to the Reds site and compared spring training numbers for Keppinger, Rosales, Gonzalez, Encarnacion, and Janish. Janish leads in Avg, OBP, SLG, and OPS. Also, he has the lowest ground ball percent.

Hairston is not a SS. Before last year he had played only 34 minor league games and 17 ML innings at the position. Rosales has played 29 games at SS in the last two years. Moreover, his range and fielding percentage at the position are below those of Janish. Considering that Gonzo is often hurt and it is rumored that Kepp is being shopped, it is either Janish or a trade.

redsfandan
03-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Am I the only one that thought it was interesting that they had Janish at 3rd today?

RED VAN HOT
03-28-2009, 09:36 PM
I thought it was interesting as well. EE has had a poor spring. Kepp and Rosales have also played 3B recently. My guess is that it is not only SS, but also an ability to play 3B that is being weighed in the roster decision.

gedred69
03-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Situation is looking good for an early call up for Valaika, eh?

Kingspoint
03-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Also, Kepp is hitting the ball on the ground almost 4:1. That would only work for Dickerson or Taveras. Kepp is a LD hitter and he is just not doing it this spring.

Putting defense aside for the moment, I went to the Reds site and compared spring training numbers for Keppinger, Rosales, Gonzalez, Encarnacion, and Janish. Janish leads in Avg, OBP, SLG, and OPS. Also, he has the lowest ground ball percent.

Hairston is not a SS. Before last year he had played only 34 minor league games and 17 ML innings at the position. Rosales has played 29 games at SS in the last two years. Moreover, his range and fielding percentage at the position are below those of Janish. Considering that Gonzo is often hurt and it is rumored that Kepp is being shopped, it is either Janish or a trade.

So many people forget that. Hairston is not a SS. I really hope Kepp is traded (and Masset), and that Janish starts to get MLB at-bats when Gonzo isn't available.

CesarGeronimo
03-30-2009, 07:50 PM
So many people forget that. Hairston is not a SS. I really hope Kepp is traded (and Masset), and that Janish starts to get MLB at-bats when Gonzo isn't available.

I agree with you, but I think Dusty is among those who don't realize that Hairston isn't a shortstop.

Kingspoint
03-31-2009, 05:02 PM
Well, the Kepp trade clears up a problem.

Kingspoint
04-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Looks like Rosales is the answer.