PDA

View Full Version : Whats Homer want?

Captain Hook
03-22-2009, 12:36 AM
It goes without saying that Homer Bailey wants to be the 5th stater this year.However, despite having a good spring I believe he still is not the favor to win the spot.There has been a lot of discussion as to what should be done with Baily if the 5th spot in the rotation does goes to Owens.It seems to me that there is no clear cut answer to what the Reds should do with Homer if this does happen.

My question is, should the Reds talk to Homer about what he wants?I sort of remember reading somewhere that Bailey said he would work hard no matter what his job is this season and thats a great attitude to have.I would have to imagine that he does have a preference though.

I would say that Bailey has pitched well enough to win a rotation spot on at least a few other major league teams but not this team.Why not reward the effort with allowing him to have some input on the decision?

mroby85
03-22-2009, 12:59 AM
I kind of see your point, but I also think this could be a bad path to start down after the attitude that he's just recently supposedly adjusted. I don't really think it's a good idea to consult the players in making decisions, especially one that was immature just a year ago, and doesn't have much of a track record.

Ghosts of 1990
03-22-2009, 04:40 AM
Here's what I think. Aaron Harang was lousy last season. He was so lousy this spring. Why can't Harang be the guy to go to the pen to iron out his issues and since Bailey and Owings are throwing well, they get the 4 and 5 spots?

Harang goes to the pen to build his stuff back........ if he cannot (which I am starting to wonder if Harang ever returns to form; then we deal with it when the time comes but Bailey and Owings get their starting spots to begin the season.

xavr1
03-22-2009, 10:18 AM
No way will Dusty send Harang to the pen, and he probably shouldnt. Sending your No. 1 starter to the pen could really shake his confidence and probably make him want out. I know it sorta worked with Brett Myers in Philly but that move flat out scares me from a chemistry perspective.

lidspinner
03-22-2009, 10:52 AM
hey, I have to agree about Harang, #1 starter or not, we are not here to coddle players and worry about their feelings. I say to Aaron..."either get your game in order or we will have to make a move that best fits this team, not what best fits Aaron."

Now, i am NOT saying he goes to the pen, but I am saying that his leash needs to be just as short as any other pitcher on this roster.

roby
03-22-2009, 12:59 PM
hey, I have to agree about Harang, #1 starter or not, we are not here to coddle players and worry about their feelings. I say to Aaron..."either get your game in order or we will have to make a move that best fits this team, not what best fits Aaron."

Now, i am NOT saying he goes to the pen, but I am saying that his leash needs to be just as short as any other pitcher on this roster.

Harang has never been a jerk to the Reds, neither should they be a jerk to him. I am hoping that he is alright and that when the bell rinmgs to start the season, he will be ready to go.

Ghosts of 1990
03-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Aaron Harang is not a #1, regardless of where he is in the rotation. That is one of our biggest problems. We need to hope that one of these kids is a true #1 because Harang is at his very best a high end number 2 on a winning ballclub and he has not even been that pitcher for quite some time now.

TheNext44
03-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Aaron Harang is not a #1, regardless of where he is in the rotation. That is one of our biggest problems. We need to hope that one of these kids is a true #1 because Harang is at his very best a high end number 2 on a winning ballclub and he has not even been that pitcher for quite some time now.

In 2007 Harang was in the top 5 in the NL in Wins, K's, Innings, WHIP, CG and Shutouts. He also had a 125 ERA+

In 2006 he LEAD the league in Wins, K's, games started, and complete games. He also had an ERA+ of 124.

In 2008 he had an off year in which he was injured so he should be moved to the bullpen?

In 1994 John Smoltz went 6-10 after two straight 15 win seasons. His ERA also jumped by nearly a run a game. I guess he needed to be sent to long relief then too.

In 1974 Tom Seaver, after averaging 20 wins a season, went 11-11 and his ERA jumped over a run a game. I guess he was done, and needed to go to long relief.

I could list dozen of other examples.

Pitchers have off years. Harang when healthy is a true #1 starter, and deserves the number one slot in the rotation. The idea of sending him to the bullpen makes no sense.

Captain Hook
03-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Does anybody still want to send Harang to the pen after today?6IP zero hits.

I can't believe people want to give up on this guy after 1 bad season.He had a decent era before what happened in SD and finished strong after getting healthy.I'm not saying he is going to win the Cy Young this year(even though he could)but there isn't a good reason to not expect him to be good this year.