PDA

View Full Version : Harang being shopped?

HalMorrisRules
03-22-2009, 06:23 PM
It is an Insider story so some of you wont be able to read it but Gammons says the Reds are going to be in a "wait and see" mode with Harang during the season. If Owings and Bailey weren't pitching as well as they are I doubt this would even be talked about by them. Maybe today's 6 no-hit innings will stop their shopping inquiries.

Harang being shopped (http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4005781&searchName=gammons_peter&campaign=rsssrch&source=gammons_peter&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4005781%26searchName% 3dgammons_peter%26campaign%3drsssrch%26source%3dga mmons_peter)

redsfandan
03-22-2009, 06:29 PM
This is from Gammons so I take it with a grain of salt. That said, I wouln't be surprised to see either Harang or Arroyo dealt at some point IF the young guys step up but I'd be shocked if there was any kind of deal before July.

reds1869
03-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Gammons throws things at the wall to see what sticks. I don't put much stock in his rumors. I don't think trading Harang for a quality young bat would be the worst move, though.

Ohioballplayer
03-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Why not, hopefully Gammons lites a fire in the FO, maybe this could get us something good in return at trade deadline??

ChatterRed
03-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Harang has a bad outing and then a great outing then a bad outing and then a great outing.........back and forth. I do have concerns about his declining velocity though.

TheNext44
03-22-2009, 09:33 PM
I think the wait and see attitude is more due to the Reds success this season than to Harang's performance. If they are in contention, they'll keep him, if not, and he's healthy, he'd get a nice return near the trading deadline.

Newman4
03-22-2009, 09:53 PM
$12.5 million next season and $12.75 million with a $2 million buyout for 2011

I think that is the reason for the discussion/speculation. The article mentions Harang going 34-23 with a 3.68 and then after the infamous bullpen session 4-11 with a 5.88 ERA. For argument's sake, let's say he ends up somewhere in between going about .500 with 4.78 ERA. 12-13 million per year would be a lot for a small market team like the Reds to take on for that kind of production. Ditto for Arroyo. If I were Walt, I'd be hitting up Boston, New York, Chicago, LA, etc. to see what the interest is.

Ghosts of 1990
03-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Gammons throws things at the wall to see what sticks. I don't put much stock in his rumors. I don't think trading Harang for a quality young bat would be the worst move, though.

+1

Is there a bigger ripoff or drain on your wallet these days then paying to be an ESPN Insider? haha come on fellas.

redsfandan
03-23-2009, 06:14 AM
Just to compare...

Harang: 09:$11M, 10:$12.5M, 11:$12.75M ($2M buyout)
Arroyo: 09:$9.5M, 10:$11M, 11:$11M club option ($2M buyout)

IF the young guns step up (and Harang rebounds) than at least one of them won't finish their contract with us. But with as much as is owed to them we'll either have to throw in some money or accept a lesser prospect.

HalMorrisRules
03-23-2009, 09:50 AM
+1

Is there a bigger ripoff or drain on your wallet these days then paying to be an ESPN Insider? haha come on fellas.

Uh....No. It is $4.95. Let me repeat, four dollars and ninety five cents. For that I get to read all of the insider content on the website and I get a subscription to ESPN the Magazine. I doubt you could find a better value on any other site.

schmidty622
03-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Uh....No. It is $4.95. Let me repeat, four dollars and ninety five cents. For that I get to read all of the insider content on the website and I get a subscription to ESPN the Magazine. I doubt you could find a better value on any other site.

I dont think that ESPN the mag iss even worth the paper it's printed on. No offense to you obviously, I just have never really liked that mag.

BLEEDS
03-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Personally, I'd rather trade CoCo, spend that money on a LF power bat, and release Tavares. Keep Harang and Arroyo.

IFF our entire offense can come around in 2010 after a "developmental" 2009 for Bruce, Votto, EE, BP where they all make strides forward, we could really do some damage - with an additional .800/.850+ OPS in the OF.
I actually thought we had a decent shot this year, however we got Tavares instead of a Burrell/Dunn type, so we are doomed.
Our only hope is that Tavares sucks so bad that they release him so we don't even have to consider him for 2010. Dickerson or Stubbs or someone else could come up and play CF.
The other hole that needs to be addressed for 2010 is SS. IFF we spent enough on an OF-er to bring some OPS, we could afford to go Defense alone and put him in the 8 hole. As it sits now, we need offense out of our SS, so we're sacrificing D to put a Keppinger or Hairston in there. UGH!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is NO reason to have a $12M closer on this team, even if he was Mariano Rivera.
$12M SP's I can live with, IFF we had an offense (or a defense) to support it.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

TheBigLebowski
03-23-2009, 11:49 AM
I'd move Cordero in half a heartbeat if we could find a taker. No one is going to want him at that price. That contract is an albatross.

Eric_the_Red
03-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Our only hope is that Tavares sucks so bad that they release him so we don't even have to consider him for 2010.

Yes that is our only hope, because why would we hope that he plays well and helps our team? That'd be silly.

Rusty the Red
03-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Personally, I'd rather trade CoCo, spend that money on a LF power bat, and release Tavares. Keep Harang and Arroyo.

IFF our entire offense can come around in 2010 after a "developmental" 2009 for Bruce, Votto, EE, BP where they all make strides forward, we could really do some damage - with an additional .800/.850+ OPS in the OF.
I actually thought we had a decent shot this year, however we got Tavares instead of a Burrell/Dunn type, so we are doomed.
Our only hope is that Tavares sucks so bad that they release him so we don't even have to consider him for 2010. Dickerson or Stubbs or someone else could come up and play CF.
The other hole that needs to be addressed for 2010 is SS. IFF we spent enough on an OF-er to bring some OPS, we could afford to go Defense alone and put him in the 8 hole. As it sits now, we need offense out of our SS, so we're sacrificing D to put a Keppinger or Hairston in there. UGH!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is NO reason to have a $12M closer on this team, even if he was Mariano Rivera.
$12M SP's I can live with, IFF we had an offense (or a defense) to support it.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

We are not doomed. Tavares may have a great season and I'm glad we are trying something new. The three run homer offense didn't work, so I love to see us going with speed. I really hope that Tavares is a base stealing and run scoring demon this season to shut up some of you guys who are so negative about him.

Goose
03-23-2009, 07:48 PM
I would gladly have the three run homer offense of a few years ago with the pitching staff we have now. Any offense wouldn't have worked when Paul Wilson is your #1 starter.

JBChance
03-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Why not, hopefully Gammons lites a fire in the FO, maybe this could get us something good in return at trade deadline??

Do we really want "the FO" to take cues from Peter Gammons? :eek: