PDA

View Full Version : Bailey as closer!!

Jim Fazio
03-22-2009, 08:13 PM
How about Bailey as closer and deal Cordero? Homer has basically 2 pitches which closers need and with that fast ball for 1 inning can be effective and I think Cordero cost too much for what we will get out of him. Any thoughts?

Ohioballplayer
03-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Not a bad idea, but this kid needs and wants to be a starter!! He will greatly improve in due time.

ChatterRed
03-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Great idea! I see every team in mlb lining up to take Cordero's $12 million per season off our hands and his skyrocketing spring training e.r.a. coming off surgery!!!!! Woo-hoo!!!!

Eric_the_Red
03-23-2009, 04:11 AM
A couple thoughts on this idea. First, starters are far more valuable than closers. If Bailey shows he can be a good starter, possibly a #2-3 type of starter, then he should start. Second, Cordero's contract makes him untradeable. Unless a team is very, very desperate, Cordero will finish his contract here in Cincinnati. (One reason I was so against his signing- too much money for a closer.)

redsfandan
03-23-2009, 05:21 AM
The most I hope for is that another team will take Cordero in a trade when he has 1/2 a season, 1 season, or maybe (I can dream) 1 1/2 seasons left on his contract. But even a deal before July 2011 (if then) is doubtful. Like a few other players we could mention it wasn't so much acquiring them that was so bad as much as how much it cost us in terms of how much money per season and/or for how many years.

adampad
03-23-2009, 02:00 PM
No way should Homer be a closer. He's already a head case and I can see him totally blowing up if he were to blow a couple of saves. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the pen though.

JBChance
03-23-2009, 11:29 PM
A couple thoughts on this idea. First, starters are far more valuable than closers. If Bailey shows he can be a good starter, possibly a #2-3 type of starter, then he should start. Second, Cordero's contract makes him untradeable. Unless a team is very, very desperate, Cordero will finish his contract here in Cincinnati. (One reason I was so against his signing- too much money for a closer.)

Would have to be a large market team in contention, with a closer issue. Like if Rivera or Papelbon went out in a stretch run. Strictly hypothetical, but possible.

Jim
03-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Would have to be a large market team in contention, with a closer issue. Like if Rivera or Papelbon went out in a stretch run. Strictly hypothetical, but possible.

REGARDLESS of whether the Reds are in it come August, if a large market team is willing to take on Cordero's contract, Jock should jump on the opportunity. We can always get Graves back *ducks*

Hondo
03-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Pappelbon was a Starter that was Good, but he had the Stuff... Hint Hint...

Also the Cordero Signing was Bad but who new the Market was going to go in the tank...

redsfandan
03-28-2009, 07:18 PM
True it's impossible to predict the market but for a mid-market team to sign a good but not great closer for 4 years/$46 million is nuts no matter how you look at it.

Ghosts of 1990
03-29-2009, 11:56 PM
I don't think Homer ever appears in this role in Cincy. Its starter as the long term plan or he will not be here. Roenicke, Burton could be guys to get the next shot at closing. Hopefully they're smart enough not to go back to Weathers if Co Co gets hurt.

Shawn_RedsFan
03-30-2009, 03:19 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090329&content_id=4084508&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin New Homer, I was going to create a thread on it but it wouldn't let me so I thought i would just post it on here

BEETTLEBUG
03-30-2009, 04:40 PM
I don't like him in pen, he should start in AAA

Shawn_RedsFan
03-30-2009, 05:10 PM
i got bronson on my fantasy team and they are saying he may need to be put on the DL so that would get micah and bailey in the rotation

Ghosts of 1990
03-30-2009, 07:21 PM
i got bronson on my fantasy team and they are saying he may need to be put on the DL so that would get micah and bailey in the rotation

dude. are you trying to win this league?

Ghosts of 1990
03-30-2009, 07:26 PM
BRONSON:

CARPAL TUNNEL LIMITS ARROYO (2:35 p.m. ET)
Bronson Arroyo is having a flare-up of the carpal tunnel syndrome that has bothered him from time to time over the last few years. This bout is especially nasty, along with the timing. The season starts in less than one week.

"I don't know what it's from, man," Arroyo said in an interview with The Associated Press. "I can't write. I can't do anything with my pointer finger and thumb without it being irritated. I had it back in '04 in the playoffs [with Boston] pitching against the Yankees. I've had it for years."

So far, Arroyo has been able to overcome the problem, which bothers him much more when he holds a pen or a guitar pick. It returned last May and gave him problems for about three months. Arroyo finished 15-11 with a 4.77 ERA last season, when he was the only Reds pitcher who didn't miss a start. He led the staff with 200 innings. The right-hander can pitch with the problem. He'd rather not have to try.

Arroyo hasn't done very well in his last two starts during spring training. He gave up 11 hits in five innings of a game against minor leaguers on March 24 and was pounded for 14 hits and 10 runs -- three earned -- in only 4 2/3 innings against Tampa Bay on Sunday. The Rays took advantage of his inability to throw a breaking ball, something he passed off as just a bad day. There's more to it, though.

Asked if the carpal tunnel bothers his hand when he's pitching, Arroyo said, "Yeah. It's almost like taking a 220 [volt] line of electricity and pinching it off and you're only getting about two-thirds of it. You feel like you don't have much power, and you don't have much command. So I've got about another week to try to get it out of there. We'll see."

DaytonFlyer
03-31-2009, 08:05 AM
BRONSON:

CARPAL TUNNEL LIMITS ARROYO (2:35 p.m. ET)

"I don't know what it's from, man," Arroyo said in an interview with The Associated Press. ....

So far, Arroyo has been able to overcome the problem, which bothers him much more when he holds a pen or a guitar pick.

Arroyo and his guitar pick... not together again?