PDA

View Full Version : If Taveras is successful, who will we Redszone posters choose to trash?

Rusty the Red
03-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Since it seems to be a long running tradition around here, I was wondering who the posters to this site will choose to aim their anger at if Willy Taveras ends up having a year more like 2007 than his 2008?

Last year it was CP and it was pretty deserved, he had a horrible year. Did CP cost us a chance at the playoffs? No - we were not close. You could have had a legendary player in center and we would have still fallen well short.

Some of you love to rip Dusty Baker - three time manager of the year, who is now our skipper. Some of you say that he can't make a line-up and that he is clueless on who should play and when. Did he lose his credentials when flying in to the Cincy airport? Did he lose all the respect he is due on the bridge that leads into the city? You can't say, but look at the teams he coached when he was manager of the year unless you want to say the same thing about Sparky. Anybody could will back to back World Series with that line-up of HoFers!

Taveras has been chosen in the preseason, but I think he may actually have a great year - playing a strong CF, leading off and reaching base at a respectable clip, swiping bases easily and scoring runs.

If that happens - who is next on the list to hate on?

My nomination is EE. I want him to be successful. I want to love and respect our 3B, but his long streaks where he looks lost drive me nuts. He has power, but it seems to only show up on rare occasions.

Regardless, here is the big difference, I still cheer for EE and want him to be wildly successful. I think he can be a very solid starting 3B and wish him nothing but the best. Our team is not doomed because he can't field consistently or because he has at bats where he seems asleep.

Who is next to hate on?

stock
03-23-2009, 01:52 PM
I am starting to believe in Taveras. He took a boatload of walks in the WBC and is doing likewise in Florida. If Taveras continues to work the count that leave EdE, Alex Gonzalez, Dusty and Ramon (I should be working with and learning my own pitchers instead of playing in the WBC) Hernandez.

My hope is Hernandez, but unfortunately EdE glove will force the issue.

TheNext44
03-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Don't worry, we will find someone. That's the fun of a message board. To vent. That is why we are called fans, because we are fanatical. We would be called Rats if we were rational, so I prefer being a fan.

My pick is Cordero and his big contract.

But I think that if the internet was around in the 70's, Redszone would be full of post about how Concepcion's OBP and Geronimo's IsoP are killing the team, and how Sparky overuses his bullpen. :D

Eric_the_Red
03-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Most fans will turn on whoever the radio voice or television box tells them to, like good little lemmings. Say something enough and it becomes true.

I prefer to root for everyone in a Reds uniform and hope the FO is building an organization that allows a call-up to replace any player that isn't producing.

Jerome
03-23-2009, 02:07 PM
I don't know how many of you read/post on the Cincinnati Bearcats basketball team message board on bearcatnews (maybe you're a musky fan--congrats on the sweet 16--I played high school ball with CJ Anderson (nutjob)). But the reason I bring it up is this...I stopped reading and using it since the team has fallen into a recession because the board has become depleted of intelligent/entertaining banter and now is nothing more than a whipping station wasteland where diehard fans go to die. This is my first season on Redszone. Am I am for surprises once the season starts? So far I've noticed that players are judged heavily on Spring Training and it doesn't take long for people to start freaking out about someone who plays a week of below average baseball.

If the Reds do poorly this year, I blame the ownership.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

mroby85
03-23-2009, 02:08 PM
I second the EE nomination, in fact, I find him to be the most frustrating player on the team right now.

roby
03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
I am starting to get beyond frustrated with Alex Gonzalez. he was hurt again today (Hamstring, they think). He has been absolutely worthless to the Reds since coming here...and yes i do have compassion for his child being sick.

flash
03-23-2009, 03:02 PM
I think a prime candidate would be Hernandez. He cannot afford to slip up, he is already behind. Hannigan has done everything necessary to win the starting job, yet it isn't his. If Hernandez doesn't do great immediately he will be a prime target for criticism.

redsfan1966
03-23-2009, 04:31 PM
each other? :D

Nasty_Boy
03-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Brandon Phillips... He's the face and the leader right? What if he has another craptastic year at the plate and remains in the 4 hole? Of course Dusty will be partially to blame, but BP must improve at the plate.

My order:

BP/Dusty/Ownership
Cordero
Weathers/Lincoln

NeilHamburger
03-23-2009, 05:06 PM
People will still bash Willy no matter what. Look at Aurilia. It really doesn't matter whether someone has a good year or not, this board will never, and I mean never admit they were wrong on someone or anything. Willy could have an OBP of .388 and steal 100 bases and this board would still hate him.

BLEEDS
03-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Don't worry, we will find someone. That's the fun of a message board. To vent. That is why we are called fans, because we are fanatical. We would be called Rats if we were rational, so I prefer being a fan.

My pick is Cordero and his big contract.

Post of The Day!!

We are definitely FANATICAL.

CP bashing is nothing compared to Dunn.
It is really going to be hard to replace the bashing of Dunn on here, in fact it's still not fully completed, it still rears it's ugly head from time to time.

I think I'd agree with Cordero. Not his fault, as he might actually be worth his contract - BUT there's no reason to have him here when we aren't going to have many leads to protect anyways. His is a luxury we can't afford to have around with so many other holes on this roster. It's like having a Solid Gold Garage to house a Yugo.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

JayBruceFan
03-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Most fans will turn on whoever the radio voice or television box tells them to, like good little lemmings. Say something enough and it becomes true.

I prefer to root for everyone in a Reds uniform and hope the FO is building an organization that allows a call-up to replace any player that isn't producing.

Ditto

Jack Burton
03-23-2009, 06:27 PM
OP. Dusty apologist? He did a terrible job last year, should have cost him his job, beyond futile.

Captain Hook
03-23-2009, 06:31 PM
People will still bash Willy no matter what. Look at Aurilia. It really doesn't matter whether someone has a good year or not, this board will never, and I mean never admit they were wrong on someone or anything. Willy could have an OBP of .388 and steal 100 bases and this board would still hate him.

If Willy can put up that kind of obp and maintain a pace to steal 100 bases I for one will promise to never say a bad think about the guy.

I think that even if Willy does poorly this year Dusty will get beat up more than anyone.

Nasty_Boy
03-23-2009, 07:13 PM

Absolutely not! The reason people were upset about acquiring Willy was he doesn't put up good OBP numbers... not to mention he can't make up for it with any sort of slugging. I hope to hell he puts up those numbers, but history suggests that he won't.

ChatterRed
03-23-2009, 07:16 PM
My pick is Keppinger. Oops.......he already gets picked on..........next player......

Slyder
03-23-2009, 07:21 PM

Not I. That will mean that Willy would have to actually not be the sorry excuse for a leadoff guy I (and many others thought) thought he was.

Its a horse race for me Harang could get a mention if he struggles again (but he's save up some appreciation from his previous years).

Either EE or Phillips will become the new Dunn when it comes to bashing here I think. Cordero wont have a big enough role in the pen to really approach Edwin or Brandon.

BLEEDS
03-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Oh, sorry, I thought the question was which Red will be NEXT to hate/bash...

:pimp:

I already bash BP and his pitiful excuse for batting against RHP - which is actually WORSE than CP and Willy...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

PedroBourbon
03-23-2009, 09:02 PM
It will actually be Adam Dunn. He will raise his average to .284 and have 25 HR's by the all star break. He will be the lone Washington (Red) National on the all star team and Redszone will argue over trading/keeping him for the next 24 months.

Nah, probably be EE.

Ghosts of 1990
03-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Cordero, Lincoln, or some of the starting pitching will work just fine for me.

JBChance
03-23-2009, 10:28 PM
The smart money's on EdE. He , deservedly, gets some Redzone "tough love" quite a bit. He seems to lose his focus and make boneheaded plays in bunches. And he's super streaky at the plate.

A note about Willy:

It's not that I'm (and I feel most guys here) critical of him, but critical of his approach. There is a big difference. He's obviously not a slugger, so he needs to get on by any means necessary. That means being more selective at the plate for him. And I don't like his self-proclaimed race to 100 SB. Optimism is one thing, but, keep it shut and let your work on the bases speak for itself.

I, for one, want him to succeed. The problem is that he's set up for failure, especially with the CF struggles last year. However, if he does well, you'll see most get behind him, Imo.

gedred69
03-23-2009, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=JBChance;1819176]The smart money's on EdE. He , deservedly, gets some Redzone "tough love" quite a bit. He seems to lose his focus and make boneheaded plays in bunches. And he's super streaky at the plate.

Very likely, and as I have said before, I'm thinking EE is the reicarnation of DD, (Danny Driessen). Tantalizing talent, but a focus-losing bonehead. I hope we are wrong, because the success of this team depends alot on EE doing well.

DannyB
03-24-2009, 06:23 AM
I say it will be Dusty ;)

Jerome
03-24-2009, 11:22 AM
CP bashing is nothing compared to Dunn.
It is really going to be hard to replace the bashing of Dunn on here, in fact it's still not fully completed, it still rears it's ugly head from time to time.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that Dunn guy. I change my answer from ownership to Adam Dunn. If the Reds suck this year, it will residually be Adam Dunn's fault for the following reasons...
-he strikes out too much
-he's fat
-he's awkward
-he has the personality of a rock
-he hits for a low average
-he is a poor lover
-his children should be banished from whatever school system the are involved in.
-He is useless
-Adam Dumb
-Dunner

Am I forgetting anything (and is it necessary to throw the *sarcasm* in)?

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

JBChance
03-24-2009, 11:30 AM
I say it will be Dusty ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot about him, as I try to do, from time to time.:D

Rusty the Red
03-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Wow, I wrote that original post with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek and you guys jumped on it hook, line and sinker. I can't believe that you are ready to find another source for bashing. The Dunn stuff, over the last two or three years got really old quick.

The end of the post was about rooting for my favorite team, not drawing and quartering it on a daily basis. I have a difficult time with EE, but I will root for him all season because he is a Red.

The new owner has not done exactly what he promised, but I still root for the Reds because they are my team.

Dusty is not my perfect manager, but he is far better than the recent skippers, who this board routinely BBQ'd. I will still cheer for him and my Reds. I have a feeling that Jesus would have a hard time being the manager of this team with some of you for fans. I can almost see it now - "Don't you hate when He puts in a guy to pinch hit at just the right time and He always seems to know exactly who to go to out of the pen. How boring! We want Bob Boone back!!!!!"

I'm not so sure about the Taveras signing, but obviously the people who spend their lives studying baseball thought it was a good idea, he was signed and I will cheer for him every day. I will never predict doom and failure just because the front office made a move I didn't understand. I'm a Reds fan, so I will cheer for the guys in the cool looking red and gray unis.

I am a fan, as much as any of you. I have followed the Reds since I was a 6 or 7 - during the time of the Big Red Machine. They have always been my team and always will be. I am FANATICAL, but I refuse to hate and bash the very players I'm supposed to cheer for.

I don't understand the mean and negative attitude of many of you.

Although I have had some enjoyable time reading and writing here, this is my last post. I will cheer for the Reds from my humble home in Virginia, but I will not get my info from a group that seeks to bash rather than cheer my team.

I wish you PEACE.

Rusty

Captain Hook
03-24-2009, 11:39 PM
I guess that us the fans get at least 1 vote.

Kingspoint
03-25-2009, 12:32 AM
If Taveras is successful, meaning an OPS of .350 or higher, no one will trash anybody because they'll be too busy trying to figure out how to get to the games and come up with playoff tickets.

DannyB
03-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Wow, I wrote that original post with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek and you guys jumped on it hook, line and sinker. I can't believe that you are ready to find another source for bashing. The Dunn stuff, over the last two or three years got really old quick.

The end of the post was about rooting for my favorite team, not drawing and quartering it on a daily basis. I have a difficult time with EE, but I will root for him all season because he is a Red.

The new owner has not done exactly what he promised, but I still root for the Reds because they are my team.

Dusty is not my perfect manager, but he is far better than the recent skippers, who this board routinely BBQ'd. I will still cheer for him and my Reds. I have a feeling that Jesus would have a hard time being the manager of this team with some of you for fans. I can almost see it now - "Don't you hate when He puts in a guy to pinch hit at just the right time and He always seems to know exactly who to go to out of the pen. How boring! We want Bob Boone back!!!!!"

I'm not so sure about the Taveras signing, but obviously the people who spend their lives studying baseball thought it was a good idea, he was signed and I will cheer for him every day. I will never predict doom and failure just because the front office made a move I didn't understand. I'm a Reds fan, so I will cheer for the guys in the cool looking red and gray unis.

I am a fan, as much as any of you. I have followed the Reds since I was a 6 or 7 - during the time of the Big Red Machine. They have always been my team and always will be. I am FANATICAL, but I refuse to hate and bash the very players I'm supposed to cheer for.

I don't understand the mean and negative attitude of many of you.

Although I have had some enjoyable time reading and writing here, this is my last post. I will cheer for the Reds from my humble home in Virginia, but I will not get my info from a group that seeks to bash rather than cheer my team.

I wish you PEACE.

Rusty
:rolleyes: We've heard that one before!

Jim
03-25-2009, 10:40 AM
I am starting to get beyond frustrated with Alex Gonzalez. he was hurt again today (Hamstring, they think). He has been absolutely worthless to the Reds since coming here...and yes i do have compassion for his child being sick.

We definitely got a lemon so far in AGon, but injuries happen. My concern is who fills the void assuming AGon is out for some/all of the season. I don't have any desire to bash any players as I am a Reds fan (not a player hater!). If I bash anyone, it's the FO any time they field a team with less than competent players in each position.