PDA

View Full Version : Alex Gonzalez Injured

schmidty622
03-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Per ORG -

This time it isnít the left knee, it is the right hamstring that knocked shortstop Alex Gonzalez out of todayís lineup.

Gonzalez left todayís game after the second inning and it wasw thought hemay have tweaked that problem left knee.

Gonzalez hit a ball to deep short and narrowly beat the throw to first for an infield hit. But after he crossed the bag and turned to walk back to first, he stopped to flex his right leg, indicating something was amiss.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

I think that this would be a nice time to give Janish an extended try out in the bigs. Yeah he can't hit but his defense would be a huge lift IMO.

roby
03-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Per ORG -

This time it isnít the left knee, it is the right hamstring that knocked shortstop Alex Gonzalez out of todayís lineup.

Gonzalez left todayís game after the second inning and it wasw thought hemay have tweaked that problem left knee.

Gonzalez hit a ball to deep short and narrowly beat the throw to first for an infield hit. But after he crossed the bag and turned to walk back to first, he stopped to flex his right leg, indicating something was amiss.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

I think that this would be a nice time to give Janish an extended try out in the bigs. Yeah he can't hit but his defense would be a huge lift IMO.

Can Rosales play shortstop very well?

mroby85
03-23-2009, 04:05 PM
If Rosales cracks this teams starting lineup they're in BIG trouble. I'd be surprised if he even made the team. Hairston and Keppinger would be next in line at SS in my opinion. I don't understand the big Rosales following, he's hitting .258 this spring, and hasn't proven he can do better in the past.

Root Down
03-23-2009, 05:18 PM
I would much rather see Hairston and Kepp long before Janish comes back. I know he's a great SS but his bat, as discussed in great depth last season, leaves much to be desired. From what I saw his bat doesn't have the potential to be big league caliber. Hairston and Keppinger on the other hand have both proven they can handle this level both defensively and offensively.

JayBruceFan
03-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Can Rosales play shortstop very well?

Rosales was drafted as a SS

roby
03-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Rosales was drafted as a SS

Yes, but, can he PLAY shortstop?

JBChance
03-23-2009, 10:47 PM
If Rosales cracks this teams starting lineup they're in BIG trouble. I'd be surprised if he even made the team. Hairston and Keppinger would be next in line at SS in my opinion. I don't understand the big Rosales following, he's hitting .258 this spring, and hasn't proven he can do better in the past.

I would much rather see Hairston and Kepp long before Janish comes back. I know he's a great SS but his bat, as discussed in great depth last season, leaves much to be desired. From what I saw his bat doesn't have the potential to be big league caliber. Hairston and Keppinger on the other hand have both proven they can handle this level both defensively and offensively.

Hairston had a great year last year and Keppinger has had some success, but both are struggling with the bat, mightily. Both play below average SS defense. One will probably be a substitute at best. I say you want your sub to be a superior defensive guy - Rosales and Janish are better defensive guys. They are inexperienced, but in that, maybe there's upside. They might become better hitters. Its unlikely that JHJ and Kepp will be able to increase their range.

If Keppinger comes alive at the plate, maybe he's got a shot. If not, we can't afford to keep him and its Rosales.

Jim
03-24-2009, 01:18 AM
I have serious doubts about our defense if Hairston or Kepp get the nod at SS. We should take the hit offensively and put the best defensive option at SS.

RED VAN HOT
03-24-2009, 04:39 PM
I have serious doubts about our defense if Hairston or Kepp get the nod at SS. We should take the hit offensively and put the best defensive option at SS.

Well said. Unless our left side infield defense is substantially better, we are a sub-500 team. Pitching, outfield defense, and catching are all improved. Let's finish the job. After a chronically injured Gonzalez, Janish looks to me to be the only true SS option. As for 3B, I say give EE half a season to show he has learned to throw accurately.

bgwilly31
03-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Look boys, were going to desperately NEED hitting to have any kind of chance this year at the playoffs.

Putting janish in the lineup is the worst idea ive read on here.

Hairston or Kepp or go out and get someone else. Janish not an option.

RED VAN HOT
03-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Look boys, were going to desperately NEED hitting to have any kind of chance this year at the playoffs.

Putting janish in the lineup is the worst idea ive read on here.

Hairston or Kepp or go out and get someone else. Janish not an option.

What kind of offensive numbers are you counting on for Hairston and Keppinger? Obviously, the .188 average Janish put up in his first 80 ABs would not get the job done. That is a small sample size, however. Hairston put up those numbers in twice as many ABs for Texas in 2007. I think the point that several of us are trying to make is that Janish should get a look. If he can simply put up .250 AVG and .330 OBP, he would be a better choice.

TheNext44
03-25-2009, 02:35 AM
If Gonzalez is out for any serious stretch, the Reds will definitely make a move to get a viable defensive SS to fill in. They have made it clear that defense comes first, and with a position as important as SS, I can't see them going with who they have for any long period of time. Kepp, and Hairston are not solid enough defenders while Janish and Rosales are too unproven to start on an everyday basis.

JBChance
03-25-2009, 08:58 AM
If Gonzalez is out for any serious stretch, the Reds will definitely make a move to get a viable defensive SS to fill in. They have made it clear that defense comes first, and with a position as important as SS, I can't see them going with who they have for any long period of time. Kepp, and Hairston are not solid enough defenders while Janish and Rosales are too unproven to start on an everyday basis.

If AGon hits the DL, Rosales will probably make the squad until they can find a "viable" SS. They were purportedly looking earlier in the off-season, so maybe they have a couple potentials. Should have done it over the off-season, imo. Apparently, they were banking on AGon to get healthy and Keppinger to hit.

Best thing, in the short term, is AGon pulling through. They're minimizing the severity of the injury, but we've all heard that before.

TheNext44
03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
From John Fay:

--Alex Gonzalez went home Miami on off day to work with his therapist there. He's back. Baker said again the injury is fairly minor.

That sounds like good news.

RED VAN HOT
03-25-2009, 02:35 PM
I don't normally read much into ST lineups, but with less than two weeks left until opening day, today's lineup is interesting. Janish at SS, Kepp at 2B and Rosales at 3B. With AGON's health an issue and EE having a poor spring, I'd say that these three players are being intensely evaluated for the last roster spot.

Kingspoint
03-25-2009, 07:27 PM
No matter what happens in Spring Training, the most appearances I expect from Alex Gonzales this season is 140 games and 450 at-bats. What I'd be happy with is 130 games and 400 at-bats.

roby
03-25-2009, 11:29 PM
No matter what happens in Spring Training, the most appearances I expect from Alex Gonzales this season is 140 games and 450 at-bats. What I'd be happy with is 130 games and 400 at-bats.

I think, even if the current injury is minor, it's just a matter of time before AGON is hurt and misses significant time. The Reds would be wise to be looking for a back-up plan.

Red in Atl
03-25-2009, 11:30 PM
I think, even if the current injury is minor, it's just a matter of time before AGON is hurt and misses significant time. The Reds would be wise to be looking for a back-up plan.

A - greed!

JBChance
03-26-2009, 03:00 AM

They should start to think about doing something now. They need to be proactive with the SS spot. Past him, we just don't have the players that are ready.

bgwilly31
03-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Have any of you that are hoping for a janish spot, would be pleased with a .200 avg+ out of him, been following spring training at all.

Were averaging a whopping 2-point something runs per game.

Thats not going to get it done. And that particular stat put a decent size dagger in my hopes for this squad this year.

Who cares if a defensive player is slightly better if he cant hit worth a crap. I would gladely sacrifice a slightly worse SS for a shortstop that can put the ball in play which puts runs on the board.

RED VAN HOT
03-26-2009, 06:56 PM
I don't know the criterion that others may have established, but mine is .250 AVG and .330 OBP to make Janish the better choice. With those numbers I would prefer him to a .300 Avg Keppinger. Although offense and defense can be traded off to some extent, SS is a position where defense comes first.

I don't put too much stock in spring training stats. With the WBC, this year in particular has been a poor indicator of what to expect in the regular season. We have tried outslugging the opposition and that hasn't worked well. There are few things more discouraging than watching opponents put up big innings on our defensive misplays. With this starting staff, good defense will keep us in most games. We will actually have a chance to beat the other team's 1 and 2 starters.

Kingspoint
03-27-2009, 08:04 PM
We're going to have to win a lot of games in the 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th innings this year. It's in our best interests to drag games out to the latter innings as we have better pitching depth than other clubs. To win these games, a total commitment to speed and defense would be the best formula for winning. It takes three Jeff Keppinger singles to get a run and 4 of them to get 2 runs if Keppinger's defense gave up a run already. That's just not worth it. I'd rather prevent the runs and try to get a guy to second via a walk or single and a stolen base, and then try to get a single to get him in. 1 run on 1 or 2 hits instead of needing 2 runs on 4 hits.

I was Keppinger's biggest fan last year and the year before, but that was with a totally different team. I don't even want him on the team this year. No speed, average or below average defense, no power, and now his ability to hit a single, the only reason to have him on the team, is even in question.