PDA

View Full Version : Reds cut Daryle Ward

WildcatFan
03-23-2009, 05:58 PM
John Fay reports (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a8d899eb9-e4e5-467a-87eb-1d297ad080e0&plckCommentSortOrder=TimeStampAscending&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com):

The Reds cut six players Monday:

--Daryle Ward and LHP Aaron Fultz released.

--RHP Ramon Ramirez and INF Danny Richar were optioned to Louisville.

--LHP Ron Flores and RHP Jeff Kennard were re-assigned to the minor league camp.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like Johnny Gomes will be your backup 1B and LF, and things aren't looking good for Jacque Jones. The 25-man roster is clearing up.

The only other interesting position to watch will be utility infielder, with Jeff Keppinger and Adam Rosales battling for the spot. I have a hunch Kep will be traded.

Farnsie
03-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Agreed. Like Gomes a lot more than Ward or Jones... Although I'd take Ward over Jones, what's he still doing in camp?

Jerry Narron
03-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Although I'd take Ward over Jones, what's he still doing in camp?
I refer to that as "The Dusty Effect".

WildcatFan
03-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Expect Jones to go before the week's out. I'm sure Dusty will want the final week of spring training to be with his opening day roster.

JayBruceFan
03-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Where has Ramon Ramirez been all spring?

Did he even pitch in a game with the Reds?

I know he was in the WBC, but even when he was here he didn't make an appearance

Wasn't he supposed to be one of the guys in the running for the 5th spot?

WildcatFan
03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Ramon Ramirez: 5.1 innings, 4 hits, 3 runs, 5 walks, a hit batter

UPRedsFan
03-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Well who are the 5 bench players now?

Hairston
Hannigan
Gomes
???
???

If Ward and Jones are both out, does that mean it's Kepp and Nix? No left handed bat off the bench???

ChatterRed
03-23-2009, 07:13 PM
It's good that the cuts are difficult. It means this team has depth in the minors. The pitching is really going to be tough. Some of these lower profile guys, like Herrera, have pitched good enough to make the team. Yikes.

Jerome
03-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Jacque Jones, one spot closer to a roster spot...oh the terror.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com/2009/03/jacque-jones-can-count-his-friends-on.html

BLEEDS
03-23-2009, 07:47 PM
It's good that the cuts are difficult. It means this team has depth in the minors. The pitching is really going to be tough. Some of these lower profile guys, like Herrera, have pitched good enough to make the team. Yikes.

I heard Herrera might replace Bray as the lefty in the pen.

Don't know if that says more about how good Herrera is, or how bad Bray has been.

Methinks it's more the latter...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

stock
03-23-2009, 08:14 PM
What about

Hannigan
Hairston
Keppinger
Gomes
McDonald

McDonald has certainly earned a spot. Dusty likes #1 draft pick potential. He has speed.

RedsFanWC
03-23-2009, 08:22 PM

Hairston
Hannigan
Gomes
???
???

If Ward and Jones are both out, does that mean it's Kepp and Nix? No left handed bat off the bench???

Nix is a lefty and Ward getting cut means hes probably your 5th outfielder and left handed bat off the bench. Nix's athleticism and Gomes ability to play first base won out over Ward.

gedred69
03-23-2009, 08:24 PM
What about

Hannigan
Hairston
Keppinger
Gomes
McDonald

McDonald has certainly earned a spot. Dusty likes #1 draft pick potential. He has speed.

This looks best to me. (Maybe Rosales with Keppinger traded). I don't see how McDonald doesn't make the cut. At the start I thought Hopper would be in it, but, he didn't use his trademark bunt much at all to get on base. (Small Ball).

03-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Ward was cut firstince he has a chance to catch on with another major league team. This gives him the time to do that.
Jones probably agreedt go to AAA if he doesn't make it, so it's no big deal to keep around. I seriously doubt Jones makes the opening day roster.

Ghosts of 1990
03-23-2009, 09:09 PM

Hairston
Hannigan
Gomes
???
???

Nix is left handed.

Wilkin Castillo is a possibility.

JBChance
03-23-2009, 09:52 PM
I think they're taking a serious look at McDonald. There always seems to be a AAAA guy that impresses in ST, but he has really done well.

I thought Ward over Nix, also. I stand corrected. They must like Nix's athleticism and cut Ward so he can get hooked up with another squad.

Rusty the Red
03-24-2009, 04:24 AM
And starring as Josh Hamilton for the 2009 Cincy Reds - Laynce Nix!

flash
03-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Things interesting to note.

1. Hannigan can play first play if needed. He played the position considerably in the minors.

2. Barker still hasn't been cut although he has not seen a lot of playing time. His numbers are comparable to Nix's

3. Valaika also has not been cut. Although not as adept defensively as Janish he does have a much better bat.

4. McDonald has had an incredible spring. He might be pushing Gomes for a spot.

I never did much care for Ward so I am not sorry to see him go. Am a little disapointed in losing Flores, but I believe he will be back. He had a very good spring.

It has been very nice to see the competition. I still think something will happen with the Giants before opening day. Probably won't involve Sanchez, but English or Lowry might be availible

Jerome
03-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Kepp, Nix, Gomes, Hanigan? Is Dusty working the inverse-racism card? :)

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

DannyB
03-24-2009, 04:23 PM

Hairston
Hannigan
Gomes
???
???

Nix is a lefty I think.
I think its Nix and Kepp,when Gomes starts Dickerson will be on the bench for another lefty.

Root Down
03-24-2009, 04:24 PM
I see Richar got sent to AAA Louisville, what is going on with him? I haven't heard him mentioned at all this year, but remember thinking he had potential when the Reds picked him up.

Nasty_Boy
03-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Rosales brings more to the team than Kepp, but Kepp will be on the opening day roster if he can't be traded.

Hanigan
Hairston
Gomes
Keppinger
Nix

That's my guess, my hope would be to replace Kepp with Rosales.