PDA

View Full Version : Reds trade Drew M Anderson to Rays

dougdirt
03-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Heard it from two different sources now. Not sure who its for yet.

TRF
03-25-2009, 06:30 PM
obviously a talent like Anderson doesn't come cheap.

I'm guessing Kazmir and Upton. :)

GIDP
03-25-2009, 06:42 PM
The extra letter was adding up and becoming way to expensive.

camisadelgolf
03-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Someone had to go. It should clear some room for guys like Mike DeJesus, Eric Eymann, Jose Castro, Justin Tordi, etc.

Handofdeath
03-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if the Reds get Reid Brignac.

OnBaseMachine
03-25-2009, 08:47 PM

For Anderson? There is zero chance of that happening. They may get cash back or a non-prospect.

batsfan
03-25-2009, 08:54 PM

LOL!!!

camisadelgolf
03-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Is it me, or do the Rays seem to like the Reds' leftovers?

Brendan Harris, Calvin Medlock, Brian Shackelford, Tyler Hauschild, Drew M. Anderson, Grant Balfour, Brock Till . . .

But when I think of players who have left the Reds, it seems to me that the Blue Jays are downright fascinated with ex-Reds. If anyone's interested, I could probably come up with a list.

JayBruceFan
03-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Someone had to go. It should clear some room for guys like Mike DeJesus, Eric Eymann, Jose Castro, Justin Tordi, etc.

WHOO!

camisadelgolf
03-25-2009, 09:36 PM
WHOO!
I knew that was coming. :D

TheNext44
03-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by camisadelgolf

WHOO!

A friend of mine went to school with Justin at Florida and they are still friends. I can see if she can get his autograph for you.

TheBigLebowski
03-25-2009, 11:13 PM
I watched Tordi at UF. Loved his glove, hated his bat. Not much has changed.

BEETTLEBUG
03-26-2009, 09:25 AM
What sources did you read this about Anderson,Drew

OnBaseMachine
03-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Here one minute, gone the next…
March 26th, 2009

Drew M. Anderson

In the game of baseball you could be here one minute and gone the next. For Drew M. Anderson it all happened so fast. Anderson was on the backfields at the Cincinnati Reds Spring Training Complex warming up for a game against minor leaguers from the Minnesota Twins. Anderson was in the starting lineup playing second base. As he finished up his pre-game routine and stretches he was tapped on the shoulder by field coordinator Freddie Benavides, and was asked to join him and Terry Reynolds for a few words.

Anderson was told that he had just been traded to the Tampa Bay Rays and they were expecting him to report to their minor league complex in Port Charlotte, about 45 minute drive from Sarasota. With a few “thank you’s” and “Good Lucks” Anderson headed into the clubhouse to pack up his locker and move his career in a new direction.

A few phone calls and large number of text messages appeared to be the first thing on Anderson’s mind as he loaded up his Louisville Bats bag to head out. I asked him if he knew any details of the trade, and he said all he knew was a phone number of the Rays farm director that he was supposed to call.

Having their Triple-A team in Durham, North Carolina, Anderson is hoping to make that squad so that he can live at home and be close to family and friends. Appearing a bit “shell shocked,” the 26 year old infielder told me he was excited “because Tampa Bay had a strong interest in him and could be a better road to the show.”

Although Drew M. Anderson has been traded and will be moving on to Tampa Bay, the Reds still have one Drew Anderson left. Drew T. Anderson is a 27 year old outfielder whose locker is two down from Drew M.

Upon exiting the clubhouse, one member of the Reds staff yelled out, “Good luck and we’ll miss you, but at least we won’t get you two confused anymore.”

http://www.coreybrinn.com/

corkedbat
03-26-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm expecting Mr. Cash to be involved again. A perrennial favorite with this team.

dougdirt
03-26-2009, 01:09 PM
What sources did you read this about Anderson,Drew

I know players, coaches and some players family members that I talk with on a regular basis.

redsmetz
03-26-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm expecting Mr. Cash to be involved again. A perrennial favorite with this team.

Even has his name on the hat

https://www.shoprockamerica.com/import/images/zio_jc4301_dt.jpg

Triples
03-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Being close to the Drew M. Anderson's family I can say with confidence that there is more to this story than meets the eye.

What has transpired behind the scenes over the last couple of weeks convinces me that there some good honest people in the front office of the Reds. I'm also convinced that the Reds think highly of Drew's ability, character, hard work and dedication. And, what the Reds eventually get in return from the Rays is really inconsequential if you consider the human side of the equation.

To know the rest of the story you have to go back to middle of the 08season. When it became evident that Drew's playing time was being seriously curtailed, he (actually his agent) asked the Reds for permission to talk with other clubs about the opportunity to play for them. The Reds respectfully declined the request indicating that they valued his work and wanted to keep him in the system. That discussion included a promise of additional playing time during the remainder of the season. The Reds were, for reason we will never know, unable to keep that promise. Their regret for not keeping their promise was validated in a Lookouts radio interview with Terry Reyolds during the last week of the season when he indicated that Drew's situation was not one they felt real good about and with Drew's work ethic he may surprise some people.

Fast forward to this spring and it was again evident that Drew's playing time would be limited with the glut of middle infielders in the system. So, rather than break their promise again, the Reds instead chose to treat Drew with the respect and dignity they felt he had earned. They could have allowed him to languish in the minors with little hope or opportunity of ever making it to the majors; or they could have simply released him thereby sending a message to the other clubs that he was of little value. Instead, they made the effort to find him a home by way of a trade, that creates value instead of the other way around. The Rays offered both the best return (what ever that may be) and the best opportunity for Drew. For this effort, I take my hat off to the Reds, they are not all the ignorant, disengaged, insensitive people they are often accused of being.

So before anyone makes any more sarcastic comments like "obviously a talent like Anderson doesn't come cheap" you may want to wait until you know the rest of the story.

lollipopcurve
03-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Being close to the Drew M. Anderson's family I can say with confidence that there is more to this story than meets the eye.

What has transpired behind the scenes over the last couple of weeks convinces me that there some good honest people in the front office of the Reds. I'm also convinced that the Reds think highly of Drew's ability, character, hard work and dedication. And, what the Reds eventually get in return from the Rays is really inconsequential if you consider the human side of the equation.

To know the rest of the story you have to go back to middle of the 08season. When it became evident that Drew's playing time was being seriously curtailed, he (actually his agent) asked the Reds for permission to talk with other clubs about the opportunity to play for them. The Reds respectfully declined the request indicating that they valued his work and wanted to keep him in the system. That discussion included a promise of additional playing time during the remainder of the season. The Reds were, for reason we will never know, unable to keep that promise. Their regret for not keeping their promise was validated in a Lookouts radio interview with Terry Reyolds during the last week of the season when he indicated that Drew's situation was not one they felt real good about and with Drew's work ethic he may surprise some people.

Fast forward to this spring and it was again evident that Drew's playing time would be limited with the glut of middle infielders in the system. So, rather than break their promise again, the Reds instead chose to treat Drew with the respect and dignity they felt he had earned. They could have allowed him to languish in the minors with little hope or opportunity of ever making it to the majors; or they could have simply released him thereby sending a message to the other clubs that he was of little value. Instead, they made the effort to find him a home by way of a trade, that creates value instead of the other way around. The Rays offered both the best return (what ever that may be) and the best opportunity for Drew. For this effort, I take my hat off to the Reds, they are not all the ignorant, disengaged, insensitive people they are often accused of being.

So before anyone makes any more sarcastic comments like "obviously a talent like Anderson doesn't come cheap" you may want to wait until you know the rest of the story.

Great, great post. Thanks for making it.

camisadelgolf
03-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Thank you, Triples. I think we often forget that many times, friends and family of the players--and sometimes the players themselves--read the site, forcing them to read some hurtful things, even if they're not intended that way. I'm a fan of Anderson's, but at some point, I've probably called him something that equates to AAA fodder, which probably doesn't feel good. I think he has a decent chance to reach the big leagues some day, and I wish him the best. It's nice to hear that Cincinnati elected to help him out a little bit, and when I heard he was traded, I was very happy to hear that it was to a team that could give him a better chance to achieve what is probably a life-long dream of his.

Triples
03-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Thank you, Triples. I think we often forget that many times, friends and family of the players--and sometimes the players themselves--read the site, forcing them to read some hurtful things, even if they're not intended that way. I'm a fan of Anderson's, but at some point, I've probably called him something that equates to AAA fodder, which probably doesn't feel good. I think he has a decent chance to reach the big leagues some day, and I wish him the best. It's nice to hear that Cincinnati elected to help him out a little bit, and when I heard he was traded, I was very happy to hear that it was to a team that could give him a better chance to achieve what is probably a life-long dream of his.

I hear ya, and thank you for your reply. I agree with your comments entirely. Generally speaking its easy to fall into the trap of being insensitive and dogmatic when hiding behind a blind forum. The insenstive comments also, unfortunately, show the writers ignorance about what really is going on in professional baseball; particularly in the minors. The old Golden Rule would probably apply here; Do unto others as you would have them do un to you. If that is too cliche' then I would suggest we all ask our selves this question before hitting the "submit" button: Would I say this to the player's/manager's/GM's/etc's face? If the answer is no, then don't hit the submit button. Or, if you don't like that then ask your self the question: How would I like if someone said this to my wife or child. If the answer is, I wouldn't, then don't hit the submit button.

redsmetz
03-27-2009, 01:00 PM
I suspect we may see a few more moves like this. I don't know the headcount, but I think this season we'll see some players who have such gluts or players blocking their way. We can move them for cash or for lower echelon minor league players and give the players opportunities they won't have here.

LawFive
03-28-2009, 05:24 PM
We can move them for cash or for lower echelon minor league players and give the players opportunities they won't have here.

I feel for the players that have to leave, but it is nice to consider this point: the Reds have to let some moderately talented prospects go because there are better options coming in! It has probably been quite a while since they were in that situation.