PDA

View Full Version : Yonder Alonso to begin season with High-A Sarasota

OnBaseMachine
03-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Alonso brings major lessons to Minors
Young first baseman embracing all aspects of the game

By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- In Yonder Alonso's room in Sarasota, there's a baseball.

This isn't just any baseball, mind you. It's from a Spring Training game against the Phillies on March 9. It's the ball that the 2008 first-round Draft pick hit out for his first home run in a Reds uniform. Yes, it's just Grapefruit League action, but that doesn't mean it was meaningless to the 21-year-old first baseman.

"I hit that bomb, and I was floating," Alonso said with a smile. "I had no idea what happened. I hit it, and it went over. It was fun. You work so hard and you give it all you have, then it pays off. That's why you play the game."

Alonso was sent to Minor League camp the next day, the long ball serving as a very fond farewell from his few weeks of living and playing like a big leaguer. He got eight at-bats in total and two hits, the other one being a double. But beyond the handful of plate experiences, the University of Miami product felt that he crammed in much more than three weeks of information.

"It was incredible," he said. "I learned so much those three weeks I was there: How to play the game, how to do the little things, running the bases, being a better defender. I just enjoyed it."

Then it was time to switch to the Minor League side and start preparing for his first full season as a professional. This isn't a guy who has a ton of experience at any level, so it might have been easy to get used to the big league life, the spacious clubhouse, the big crowds for games. With all due respect to the Reds' facilities, moving down as Alonso did is kind of like going from a penthouse to a studio apartment.

"It wasn't that bad," Alonso said of the transition. "I knew I wasn't going to be there that long, and I just wanted to learn and get my at-bats. I enjoyed it. I just have to keep working at it, work very hard, and eventually, it will pay off."

His work has already paid off in terms of impressing the Reds' staff. When Alonso came over, he didn't skip a beat, and got right to the task at hand. It has not gone unnoticed.

"It's been a seamless transition," farm director Terry Reynolds said. "It's just the way he's gone about it. He came into camp in great shape. You can tell he worked hard in the offseason, and he's had a good attitiude."

Everyone has always known about Alonso's bat. As one of the better college hitters in last year's Draft class, he's the type who most feel will get to the big leagues sooner rather than later. But as impressive as he's been offensively, it's how he's embraced other aspects of the game that earn him high marks. His defense has been much improved, and he loves talking about nuances of the game he never thought were that important.

"Running the bases, that might be one of the biggest things," Alonso said about what he learned in big league camp. "You look at all the pro guys, and they all know how to run the bases, even if you're slow.

"I didn't see that as a tool of mine, but now I can run the bases. I'm pretty smart at running the bases. I'm not fast, but I definitely know how to run the bases."

The faster those lessons become ingrained, the quicker Alonso will prove to be big league ready. When he was first sent down, he was playing with the Double-A Carolina club, and by all accounts, he performed well. Then rosters were shuffled around a bit, and Alonso found himself playing with Class A Advanced Sarasota. Rosters haven't been set quite yet, but it seems that the most likely scenario is for him to stay right here to start the season.

Alonso doesn't lack confidence by any stretch of the imagination, but he's also realistic, and without demands or outlandish expectations. He wouldn't mind being sent to Carolina, but if that doesn't happen, he realizes that the goal -- to get to Cincinnati -- is the same.

"I don't know what's going to happen," he said. "I don't really care. I just want to play every day. I would love to start in Double-A. I think I can play there. You play at Double-A, and you never know what can happen, [maybe] a September callup. My goal is to get to the big leagues by September, hopefully."

His time in big league camp certainly didn't hurt that wish at all. Even though it was three weeks of workouts and games that don't count in the standings, it served to whet his appetite. And that's the idea, isn't it, to serve as a carrot to dangle in front of such players as Alonso as they toil in the Minor Leagues?

"It's one of those things, once you feel it and you see that and you get to play your first game, you hit your first home run, things like that, that's when you soak it up and think, 'Man, you can definitely play here,' " Alonso said. "That's when you want to get back at it."

And if he needs any other reminder of that time, he need only to take a look at that memento from the game against the World Series champion Phillies. Well, at least until something better comes along.

"I got the ball, so I was pretty happy about that," he said. "It'll probably go with me wherever I go. It doesn't really count. When I hit my big league home run, that's the one that really counts. I'll definitely replace it."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090327&content_id=4077488&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

OnBaseMachine
03-28-2009, 12:02 PM
I just don't get it. Alonso hit .308/.419/.510 - .929 in the pitcher friendly Hawaiian Winter League, which is the equivalent of Double-A. He also put up a .965 OPS in the Cape Cod League with wooden bats. His bat is very polished and he comes from one of the best college baseball programs in the country. I just don't see the need to send him to High-A. Hopefully he doesn't spend any more than three or four weeks there.

By the way, I was at that game when he homered. It was an absolute bomb to dead center.

HBP
03-28-2009, 01:44 PM
If he performs, I can't see him staying long. It also wouldn't shock me to see him finish the year in L'ville.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-28-2009, 01:49 PM
I just don't get it. Alonso hit .308/.419/.510 - .929 in the pitcher friendly Hawaiian Winter League, which is the equivalent of Double-A. He also put up a .965 OPS in the Cape Cod League with wooden bats. His bat is very polished and he comes from one of the best college baseball programs in the country. I just don't see the need to send him to High-A. Hopefully he doesn't spend any more than three or four weeks there.

By the way, I was at that game when he homered. It was an absolute bomb to dead center.

I agree completely. I'm actually a bit surprised to see that he isn't starting in AA.

redsmetz
03-28-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm guessing he moves like Bruce did. Maybe a little longer in Caroliona, but I'm guessing he finishes in Louisville.

Degenerate39
03-28-2009, 03:51 PM
I think he'll finish in Louisville and have a September call up.

dougdirt
03-28-2009, 03:55 PM

If Matt Wieters started in High A, I don't see it being a huge deal if Alonso does the same. I bet he goes 50-50 in A+ and AA this season. I would also argue that the Hawaiian Winter League is equivalent to AA. Probably more like High A. Still, its not going to hurt Alonso at all to go to Sarasota for 2-3 months. He wasn't making it to the Reds this year outside of a September call up (if that), so having him finish the year in AA isn't much of an issue.

membengal
03-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Except that now we can look forward to two months of explanations about how Sarasota surpresses power when he isn't hitting HRs like people are expecting. I was hoping to avoid that with him by him starting at Carolina...

dougdirt
03-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Except that now we can look forward to two months of explanations about how Sarasota surpresses power when he isn't hitting HRs like people are expecting. I was hoping to avoid that with him by him starting at Carolina...

Let the overreactors overreact. It will be the same guys overreacting when Francisco hits 30 HR in AA with a 309 foot fence in RF this year.

camisadelgolf
03-28-2009, 04:55 PM
We've heard of several players whose careers were supposedly ruined or derailed because they were 'rushed' through the minors, but how many careers have been hurt by cautiously moving them through the system? I'm sure Alonso could handle AA, but maybe there are a lot of aspects of his game (i.e. defense) that are still at an A-ball level. Besides, I'd rather he take at-bats away from Jason Louwsma in A+ instead of Logan Parker in AA.

Kingspoint
03-28-2009, 07:04 PM
......and play 1st Base in September for the Cincinnati Reds.

Kingspoint
03-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Willy Taveras was a bad signing. He screws everything up.

Because he's in Center, Dickerson is in Left.

Because Dickerson will have a good season in Left, it will keep Votto at 1st Base, where Votto needs to be getting practice in Left Field.

With Votto not getting his experience in Left, it will delay the promotion of Alonzo to the starting position at 1B.

The Taveras signing has pushed Alonzo's development back at least one full year.

kaldaniels
03-28-2009, 08:05 PM
If Sarasota is such a bad choice, Alonso will move up in a hurry. Not much downside to starting him there, unless they have a set timetable, which I doubt.

redsmetz
03-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Willy Taveras was a bad signing. He screws everything up.

Because he's in Center, Dickerson is in Left.

Because Dickerson will have a good season in Left, it will keep Votto at 1st Base, where Votto needs to be getting practice in Left Field.

With Votto not getting his experience in Left, it will delay the promotion of Alonzo to the starting position at 1B.

The Taveras signing has pushed Alonzo's development back at least one full year.

This seems overly dramatic. I think the earliest most folks have expected Alonso to make it to Cincinnati is as a September call up. The Taveras signing really doesn't upset the arrival of Alonso in the least, IMO. There will be some movement of players when Alonso arrives because he only plays first. That will all come in due course.

kaldaniels
03-29-2009, 12:31 AM
This seems overly dramatic. I think the earliest most folks have expected Alonso to make it to Cincinnati is as a September call up. The Taveras signing really doesn't upset the arrival of Alonso in the least, IMO. There will be some movement of players when Alonso arrives because he only plays first. That will all come in due course.

You just don't get it...had Taveras not been signed, Yonder would have been in Cincy in Sept 08. :D

Sorry...couldn't help myself.

Degenerate39
03-29-2009, 11:18 AM
......and play 1st Base in September for the Cincinnati Reds.

Probably more of the lines as pinch hitting and a few spot starts. Maybe they'll even put Votto in left field for a game or two with Alonso at 1st.

schmidty622
03-29-2009, 07:25 PM
You just don't get it...had Taveras not been signed, Yonder would have been in Cincy in Sept 08. :D

Sorry...couldn't help myself.

TAVERAS!!!!!!!!!! DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bash::explode::starwars: :rant: :rant2::angry:

:deadhorse

Mario-Rijo
03-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Count me as someone who doesn't mind him starting in Sarasota. I think he could use a little fine tuning on a couple of things and there is no real reason to rush him. He'll likely force them to move him within a month or 2 to AA and then hitting in that paradise maybe he'll find that pull stroke a bit to take advantage of that RF fence. Either way his offense will force them to move him up quick. Kind of tells other prospects to keep playing hard and they will get the respect that Logan Parker got here IMO. Now later if and when Alonso takes his job at AA he can't feel like they had any choice. I actually think Parker is a solid major league prospect so it's important he doesn't feel overlooked. Either way Alonso will likely be a major leaguer at the end of this year. And next season we will have a problem, getting everyone on the field.

tripleaaaron
03-30-2009, 02:00 AM
Count me as someone who doesn't mind him starting in Sarasota. I think he could use a little fine tuning on a couple of things and there is no real reason to rush him. He'll likely force them to move him within a month or 2 to AA and then hitting in that paradise maybe he'll find that pull stroke a bit to take advantage of that RF fence. Either way his offense will force them to move him up quick. Kind of tells other prospects to keep playing hard and they will get the respect that Logan Parker got here IMO. Now later if and when Alonso takes his job at AA he can't feel like they had any choice. I actually think Parker is a solid major league prospect so it's important he doesn't feel overlooked. Either way Alonso will likely be a major leaguer at the end of this year. And next season we will have a problem, getting everyone on the field.

I completely agree, but do you send Parker up for a taste of AAA when Alonso hits AA or does one of the Outfielders go up first with Parker moving to the OF? With AA so stacked with talent this season Parker will still be quickly relegated to the bench once Alonso comes up. I too think Parker needs playing time and would hate to see him ride the pine for half a season.

Kingspoint
03-30-2009, 07:45 PM
This seems overly dramatic. I think the earliest most folks have expected Alonso to make it to Cincinnati is as a September call up. The Taveras signing really doesn't upset the arrival of Alonso in the least, IMO. There will be some movement of players when Alonso arrives because he only plays first.

This is exactly what I said. Alonzo would have had a Sep/09 callup and be starting at 1B in April of 2010. Now when he gets called up, if he does at all this September, he'll sit on the bench instead of getting regular starts at 1st Base, because Taveras will be in the way.

Instead of starting at 1B for the REDS in 2010, he won't be starting for them until 2011 because Taveras is in the way. Taveras has delayed one whole year the development of Alonzo.

Believe me, Alonzo is good enough to take over the starting 1B job as of Sep/09. He'll be wasting his time in the minor leagues from that point forward. He's a much better hitter than Bruce or Votto.

Kingspoint
03-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Probably more of the lines as pinch hitting and a few spot starts. Maybe they'll even put Votto in left field for a game or two with Alonso at 1st.

Thanks to the signing of Willie Taveras.

dougdirt
03-30-2009, 08:07 PM
This is exactly what I said. Alonzo would have had a Sep/09 callup and be starting at 1B in April of 2010. Now when he gets called up, if he does at all this September, he'll sit on the bench instead of getting regular starts at 1st Base, because Taveras will be in the way.

Instead of starting at 1B for the REDS in 2010, he won't be starting for them until 2011 because Taveras is in the way. Taveras has delayed one whole year the development of Alonzo.

Believe me, Alonzo is good enough to take over the starting 1B job as of Sep/09. He'll be wasting his time in the minor leagues from that point forward. He's a much better hitter than Bruce or Votto.

First off, its Alonso with an S. Secondly, Taveras isn't stopping Alonso. If Alonso is ready there won't be a reason to keep him down unless everyone is doing their job. Do we really think if Alonso destroys the minors and Taveras goes .265/.310/.340 that the Reds won't seriously contemplate sliding Dickerson to CF (assuming he has a solid 2009), Votto to LF and playing Alonso at first? Thirdly, isn't it a bit early to suggest Alonso is a much better hitter than Bruce or Votto?

edabbs44
03-30-2009, 11:48 PM
Mark Teixeira
Stephen Drew
Chase Utley
Ryan Braun
Ryan Zimmerman
Jacoby Ellsbury
Dustin Pedroia

All recent highly-touted college draft picks...all started out below AA. Alonso will be just fine.

gedred69
03-31-2009, 12:08 AM
First off, its Alonso with an S. Secondly, Taveras isn't stopping Alonso. If Alonso is ready there won't be a reason to keep him down unless everyone is doing their job. Do we really think if Alonso destroys the minors and Taveras goes .265/.310/.340 that the Reds won't seriously contemplate sliding Dickerson to CF (assuming he has a solid 2009), Votto to LF and playing Alonso at first? Thirdly, isn't it a bit early to suggest Alonso is a much better hitter than Bruce or Votto?

Thank you Doug for your returning this debate to sanity. SHEEZ!!

Kc61
03-31-2009, 12:48 AM

Since Alonso is on the forty man roster, as I understand it his clock toward arbitration and ultimate free agency is ticking. There is no way the Reds will leave him in the minors one minute more than is necessary. Taveras or no Taveras.

AmarilloRed
03-31-2009, 01:10 AM
Since Alonso is on the forty man roster, as I understand it his clock toward arbitration and ultimate free agency is ticking. There is no way the Reds will leave him in the minors one minute more than is necessary. Taveras or no Taveras.

I thought you had to accumulate major league service time to start the arbitration clock ticking. 3 years of MLB service time(or 2 years + for a lucky few), and you are eligible for arbitration. Simply being on the 40 man roster shouldn't start the arbitration clock. Correct me if I am wrong on this. It would start the arbitration clock if he was on the 25 man roster, though.

dougdirt
03-31-2009, 03:51 AM
I thought you had to accumulate major league service time to start the arbitration clock ticking. 3 years of MLB service time(or 2 years + for a lucky few), and you are eligible for arbitration. Simply being on the 40 man roster shouldn't start the arbitration clock. Correct me if I am wrong on this. It would start the arbitration clock if he was on the 25 man roster, though.

His arbitration clock isn't ticking, but he has already burned an option by being sent to the minor leagues this year, meaning he only has two left.

camisadelgolf
03-31-2009, 08:23 AM
His arbitration clock isn't ticking, but he has already burned an option by being sent to the minor leagues this year, meaning he only has two left.
Players who enter professional baseball on Major League contracts typically have an extra option year because they don't have five full years of professional experience by the time their clubs would want to option them a fourth time. Therefore, at the current pace, Alonso has three options remaining.

JaxRed
03-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Options just shouldn't be a factor for Alonso unless he is a bust.

edabbs44
03-31-2009, 09:11 AM
Options just shouldn't be a factor for Alonso unless he is a bust.

Very true...there are more things to worry about if options become a major factor in his career.

bucksfan2
03-31-2009, 09:34 AM
Players who enter professional baseball on Major League contracts typically have an extra option year because they don't have five full years of professional experience by the time their clubs would want to option them a fourth time. Therefore, at the current pace, Alonso has three options remaining.

Did Alonso use up an option last year? I don't know the rules and timing but didn't he only have a handful of at bats?

The options I am not worried about. If the guy isn't ready to play full time by 2013 (Options used in years 09, 10, 11, 12) then he isn't going to be the impact player most hoped for. Actually if he isn't ready to play by midseason next year he probably won't be the bat many want him to be.

It is very early to compare Alonso to Bruce of Votto. Votto proved he can play great at the highest level. Bruce worked his way into a top overall prospect. Alonso has how many professional bats?

TRF
03-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Do we really think if Alonso destroys the minors and Taveras goes .265/.310/.340 that the Reds won't seriously contemplate sliding Dickerson to CF (assuming he has a solid 2009), Votto to LF and playing Alonso at first? Thirdly, isn't it a bit early to suggest Alonso is a much better hitter than Bruce or Votto?

If Dickerson has a solid 2009 through the ASB, and I believe he will, AND Taveras posts .265/.310/.340 WITH 25-30 SB's, I think there is no chance Dickerson slides to CF, Votto to LF to make room for Alonso, no matter what he is doing to minor league pitching.

I'm not saying that it would be wrong to do that, just that it won't happen IMO.

BRM
03-31-2009, 12:52 PM
If Dickerson has a solid 2009 through the ASB, and I believe he will, AND Taveras posts .265/.310/.340 WITH 25-30 SB's, I think there is no chance Dickerson slides to CF, Votto to LF to make room for Alonso, no matter what he is doing to minor league pitching.

I'm not saying that it would be wrong to do that, just that it won't happen IMO.

I agree.

bucksfan2
03-31-2009, 12:57 PM

I don't know if Dickerson will ever slide over to CF. IMO Taveras is there until Stubbs takes it from him. It really looks like Dickerson may have turned the corner offensively during the 07 season and into 08. He probably will continue to strike out at a high rate but if he can keep his OBP rate up he will be tough to move off LF. And good god he turned on some inside fastballs last year that just impressed me.

If Dickerson plays well I think the odds that Alonso will be traded will increase.

OnBaseMachine
03-31-2009, 02:14 PM
The only way I would trade Alonso is if I received a premium up-the-middle talent in return - a stud shortstop, catcher, center fielder, or a #1 starter. I really think Alonso is going to be a special hitter. Both Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus have gone on record as saying they think Alonso can develop into a .300/.400/.550 type of hitter. That's MVP caliber. My preference is to play Alonso at first base and move Votto to left field. Can you imagine a lineup led by Alonso, Bruce, and Votto with others like Frazier and Dickerson/Stubbs mixed in?

bucksfan2
03-31-2009, 02:38 PM
The only way I would trade Alonso is if I received a premium up-the-middle talent in return - a stud shortstop, catcher, center fielder, or a #1 starter. I really think Alonso is going to be a special hitter. Both Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus have gone on record as saying they think Alonso can develop into a .300/.400/.550 type of hitter. That's MVP caliber. My preference is to play Alonso at first base and move Votto to left field. Can you imagine a lineup led by Alonso, Bruce, and Votto with others like Frazier and Dickerson/Stubbs mixed in?

Votto is already pretty close to a .300/.400/.550 type hitter. Throw in that he likely is the team leader and will work himself into the best defender he can. Dickerson has continued to impress. It seems as if he has turned the corner and may become a .380-.400 OBP guy with some pop. Add into the fact that he looks to be a good defensive outfielder. We can hope that Fraizer will be able to stick at 3b, but if he ends up being a corner IF/OF type the Reds are going to have a log game. Alonso may be a player without a position.

OnBaseMachine
03-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Votto is already pretty close to a .300/.400/.550 type hitter. Throw in that he likely is the team leader and will work himself into the best defender he can. Dickerson has continued to impress. It seems as if he has turned the corner and may become a .380-.400 OBP guy with some pop. Add into the fact that he looks to be a good defensive outfielder. We can hope that Fraizer will be able to stick at 3b, but if he ends up being a corner IF/OF type the Reds are going to have a log game. Alonso may be a player without a position.

Move Votto to left field, slide Dickerson back to his natural position in center field, and play Alonso at first base. Votto is a pretty good athlete ... I think he could develop into an average defensive left fielder. As for Frazier, he's got the tools to be a good defender at third base. Not saying I wouldn't trade Alonso, because I would if I could get a premium up-the-middle talent in return, but my preference is to hang onto Alonso.

BRM
03-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Move Votto to left field, slide Dickerson back to his natural position in center field, and play Alonso at first base. Votto is a pretty good athlete ... I think he could develop into an average defensive left fielder. As for Frazier, he's got the tools to be a good defender at third base. Not saying I wouldn't trade Alonso, because I would if I could get a premium up-the-middle talent in return, but my preference is to hang onto Alonso.

In your scenario, what do you do with Stubbs if he shows he's ready?

OnBaseMachine
03-31-2009, 02:59 PM

Depth. If Stubbs develops into the player he's capable of being then he becomes the starter in CF.

BRM
03-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Depth. If Stubbs develops into the player he's capable of being then he becomes the starter in CF.

Moving Dickerson to a bench role? I can buy that unless Dickerson turns into an offensive threat as well. Then you need to trade from your surplus to net something you need. Which is where I agree with you on getting an up-the-middle talent, like a SS.

camisadelgolf
03-31-2009, 03:17 PM
Did Alonso use up an option last year? I don't know the rules and timing but didn't he only have a handful of at bats?

The options I am not worried about. If the guy isn't ready to play full time by 2013 (Options used in years 09, 10, 11, 12) then he isn't going to be the impact player most hoped for. Actually if he isn't ready to play by midseason next year he probably won't be the bat many want him to be.

It is very early to compare Alonso to Bruce of Votto. Votto proved he can play great at the highest level. Bruce worked his way into a top overall prospect. Alonso has how many professional bats?
No, he didn't. He signed really late in the year, which allowed him to spend less than 20 days on an optional assignment because the season ended so soon after he signed. If a player spends 20+ days on an assignment, it uses an option.

Kingspoint
03-31-2009, 06:55 PM
First off, its Alonso with an S. I'll try to remember.

Secondly, Taveras isn't stopping Alonso. If Alonso is ready there won't be a reason to keep him down unless everyone is doing their job. Do we really think if Alonso destroys the minors and Taveras goes .265/.310/.340 that the Reds won't seriously contemplate sliding Dickerson to CF (assuming he has a solid 2009), Votto to LF and playing Alonso at first? I think that Taveras will play out his contract in Center Field no matter how he hits for the REDS.
Thirdly, isn't it a bit early to suggest Alonso is a much better hitter than Bruce or Votto? I've seen enough of all three to make that assessment. Alonso isn't 18 years old. He's mature and will be Major League ready to start at 1st Base in April of 2010.

As they say,....."It's a nice problem to have."

Kingspoint
03-31-2009, 06:59 PM

That's how I see it, except that if that carries through to 2010, I also don't see it changing.

By starting him this year where they will, there is one more level the club can promote him from to "act" like he's being pushed through the system, in order for Dusty to have his "speedy" leadoff hitter that he so desperately desires.

Kingspoint
03-31-2009, 07:00 PM

Exactly! And then there's Stubbs. You can't tell me that 2 years of Taveras in Centerfield won't hold him back, too.

I hate the Taveras signing.

dougdirt
03-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Exactly! And then there's Stubbs. You can't tell me that 2 years of Taveras in Centerfield won't hold him back, too.

I hate the Taveras signing.

I don't think it will because Stubbs has what Dusty wants in a leadoff hitter too.... speed.

Kingspoint
03-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Realistically, I only thought and still think that Dickerson's timeline as a starting Center Fielder would be for a year-and-a-half. From the day we drafted Alonso, I saw the outfield in 2011 as Votto/Stubbs/Bruce with Dickerson filling the gap in CF in 2009 (Hairston or some combination of Leftfielders in 2009) and half of 2010 when Stubbs takes over.

Maybe Walt has the schuzpas in him to jettison Taveras after one season. I've really liked how Walt has handled things since he's been here, so I wouldn't be surprised. I've even warmed up to Dusty as I've got to know him again (watched him every day when I lived in the Bay Area when he was learning things from Roger Craig and then took over for him).

Again, we have some really great problems. And then there's Dorn, Henry, Cumberland, etc.

Kingspoint
03-31-2009, 07:08 PM
Moving Dickerson to a bench role? I can buy that unless Dickerson turns into an offensive threat as well. Then you need to trade from your surplus to net something you need. Which is where I agree with you on getting an up-the-middle talent, like a SS. I do see Dickerson becoming an uber-sub for us in 2010. I really, really like Dickerson's all-around game.

OnBaseMachine
03-31-2009, 07:51 PM
Logan Parker will begin the season in Double-A. Parker sent this message to RedlegNation:

Hope all is going well with you. It looks as if I will be starting the season in AA. I am very excited about this opportunity and excited to get this season underway.

As far as this spring has gone, I have been swinging the bat really well. I guess all that hitting with Red Sox prospect Jay Johnson has paid off. I am still working hard in the cages everyday and working to fine tune my swing before the season gets started.

I have been playing a little left field so that’s new to me. Like I have said before, I don’t really care where I play as long as I’m in the lineup everyday.

http://redlegnation.com/

mth123
04-01-2009, 04:03 AM
Logan Parker will begin the season in Double-A. Parker sent this message to RedlegNation:

http://redlegnation.com/

Parker is the forgotten man in this organization. Besides Alonso, Frazier, Soto and Dorn, there may not be a better hitter above the rookie leagues in this org (that includes Valaika) and you could argue Parker may be better than a couple of those guys. Parker is a prospect IMO and is one of the reasons I would have moved Votto to LF this year. Dickerson in CF and Dorn, Parker, Frazier and Alonso all on the way.

I agree with those who are saying signing Willy gums up the works. He does. As for Stubbs, he's the guy to deal IMO. Dickerson and Heisey could be a cheap platoon in CF for many years, while the more marketable Stubbs is flipped for a bigger need. (Though now Dickerson seems to be gaining a lot of market value.)