PDA

View Full Version : A couple of roster moves today

Reds Fanatic
03-31-2009, 05:00 PM
In addition to the Keppinger trade here are a few more moves. Current roster is at 30. This is from Trent:

Two other moves by the Reds -- Josh Roenicke optioned to Class AAA Louisville and Pedro Viola reassigned to minor league camp. Roster is now at 30.

SirFelixCat
03-31-2009, 05:07 PM
I can't really fault these. We knew they were coming, but at least they took a long look at both of them and I definitely could see both of them coming up late in the year (sooner if any injuries) and sticking...more so Josh, esp if they keep Viola starting. If that's the case, then maybe late next year for Viola.

NJReds
03-31-2009, 05:18 PM
Nice to have some live arms down on the farm.

MrCinatit
03-31-2009, 05:47 PM
I frankly would have rather had them than the old guys - let them get their bruises - but at least they will be there once the old guys go down.

Vada Pinson Fan
03-31-2009, 07:39 PM
The Reds brass' thinking is a mix a veterans and youth. 8 straight losing seasons and it is still their M.O. It makes me think back to the Braves way of doing things starting in 1991 with their future Hall of Fame starting staff taking shape and learning on the job training. If the Braves had star quality talent in Richmond, they brought those kids up and stayed with them. The Reds tend to get cold feet and keep trying to find the right combination instead of believing in what you have (like the Braves) and staying with it.
Jeff Francoeur is one of the talents the Braves believe in and it shows because he struggled in 2008 but still has a job in RF in Atlanta, while Homer Bailey, with all of his talent, didn't meet with success in Cincinnati and the blame goes to the Reds management and minor league instructors that hasn't changed him from a thrower to a major league pitcher.

Just listen to the vernacular of these two teams- The Braves reload (Lowe, Vasquez, et al) and the Reds rebuild (Gun shy from all the bad contracts they've offered this decade). Still hopeful Walt Jocketty will change the Reds losing ways including losing ways of doing business.