PDA

View Full Version : 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

WVRed
04-02-2009, 05:35 PM
For when the other thread gets closed.:D

WMR
04-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Good way to start off the new thread. BTW: That last UK thread has gotta be close to a record to 1000 posts... at least for the Non-Baseball Side.

Cat Scratches

The Wildcats’ first practice under John Calipari

Posted at 1:13 a.m. EDT – Eric Lindsey, UK Media Relations

Not even 36 hours after John Calipari was hired to become the 22nd head coach in program history, Calipari held his first practice Thursday night at the Joe Craft Center. Cat Scratches had an exclusive look at Kentucky’s first practice under Calipari. Here are some observations from the Wildcats’ first workout:

*Practice started at 8:30 p.m. and lasted about an hour and a half. Per NCAA regulations, teams are allowed two hours of drill instruction per week until April 15.

*The entire 2008-09 roster was there, including senior Jared Carter.

*The practice was extremely instructional. Calipari’s demeanor was pretty intense, but he doesn’t teach by yelling, calling out players, stomping his feet or any of that. He was very hands on and very talkative. Calipari would stop drills if he didn’t see what he liked, but he also didn’t hesitate to stop practice and single out a player if he was doing something right.

*Dribble, dribble, dribble. Calipari mentioned his love and philosophy for the Dribble Drive Motion Offense in his introductory news conference, and he wasted no time implementing it in his first practice. The first hour was dedicated solely to dribbling and driving the ball to the bucket. Calipari started the players off with different dribble-drive layup drills, and then increased the number of defenders as practice wore on until they finished with a three-on-two drill.

*Of course, the main component of the Dribble Drive Motion Offense is dribbling. The only negative I drew from the practice was the Wildcats’ sloppiness in handling the ball. I heard Calipari say a couple of times that they were going to have to get much better handling the ball.

*Calipari wants them to play extremely fast. He doesn’t want any hesitation when they have the ball and he even stopped a few players a couple of times for slowing up. No matter who has it – Calipari said he’s going to teach everybody, post players included, to drive it like they were guards – he wants them taking it straight to the basket as fast as they can for a layup or lob pass.

*One of the biggest things I took out of practice was Calipari’s message of simplicity. He said he’s not running the And 1 team and wants to make the game as simple as possible for them.

*Calipari likes the ball in the air. The only bounce he likes is when it comes to dribbling. He’s not against bounce passes all together, but he doesn’t like wrap-around passes or bounce passes underneath the basket because guards can come in and pick them off.

*As much as the practice was about the dribble drive, it was also about layups. Calipari said the point of the offense was to get easy layups. Part of that, he said, is they have to make all of them. UK missed quite a few in practice, and Calipari said they’ll eventually chart every single shot in practice, from layups to 3-pointers to half-court shots. He said if you can’t make them in practice, you won’t be able to make them in the game.

*Just an observation, but I believe Darius Miller is going to flourish in Calipari’s system. I thought he had a phenomenal first practice under Calipari, and the coach even praised him one time for his ability to drive the ball to the basket. Calipari told Miller he was going to “drive his brain out” playing for him.

*Kyle Macy came by practice and watched the entire session. Calipari came over during and after practice to shake Macy’s hand and talk with him for a few minutes.

*And finally, practice was extremely upbeat. The guys were constantly clapping, very attentive and looked like they were just having a good time.

cumberlandreds
04-03-2009, 07:51 AM
You gotta like that. He's not been the coach for two days and he out teaching them already. I would imagine every player is going to have to improve his ball handling in this system. Last years team was one of the worst I had ever seen at UK in that aspect of the game. Miller has been one people haven't talked about much after Calipari was hired. I would think he would be great in his system. I thought Miller improved quite a bit last season despite Gillispie.

Cyclone792
04-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Good way to start off the new thread. BTW: That last UK thread has gotta be close to a record to 1000 posts... at least for the Non-Baseball Side.

That's some serious posting right there. I'm probably the last person in the world who would root for Kentucky, but I've got to hand it to you guys for your dedication.

Now that you guys have Calapari, UC and UK need to hook up for an annual non-conference meeting and rotate the home floor each year. That'd be a damn fun series to partake in, I know that.

BRM
04-03-2009, 09:26 AM
That's some serious posting right there. I'm probably the last person in the world who would root for Kentucky, but I've got to hand it to you guys for your dedication.

Don't give 'em too much credit. Half of those posts were from non-UK fans taking jabs at them. ;)

cumberlandreds
04-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Don't give 'em too much credit. Half of those posts were from non-UK fans taking jabs at them. ;)

Ah but we still matter to you. That says a lot in itself.;)

BRM
04-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Ah but we still matter to you. That says a lot in itself.;)

Who else are we supposed to talk hoops with around here? This place is dominated by Cats fans. Either way, you guys are definitely a lot of fun to hoop talk with. No denying that. Well, except for that WilyMoRocks guy. :p:

WVRed
04-03-2009, 09:52 AM

Cat Scratches

The Wildcats’ first practice under John Calipari

Posted at 1:13 a.m. EDT – Eric Lindsey, UK Media Relations

Not even 36 hours after John Calipari was hired to become the 22nd head coach in program history, Calipari held his first practice Thursday night at the Joe Craft Center. Cat Scratches had an exclusive look at Kentucky’s first practice under Calipari. Here are some observations from the Wildcats’ first workout:

*Practice started at 8:30 p.m. and lasted about an hour and a half. Per NCAA regulations, teams are allowed two hours of drill instruction per week until April 15.

*The entire 2008-09 roster was there, including senior Jared Carter.

*The practice was extremely instructional. Calipari’s demeanor was pretty intense, but he doesn’t teach by yelling, calling out players, stomping his feet or any of that. He was very hands on and very talkative. Calipari would stop drills if he didn’t see what he liked, but he also didn’t hesitate to stop practice and single out a player if he was doing something right.

*Dribble, dribble, dribble. Calipari mentioned his love and philosophy for the Dribble Drive Motion Offense in his introductory news conference, and he wasted no time implementing it in his first practice. The first hour was dedicated solely to dribbling and driving the ball to the bucket. Calipari started the players off with different dribble-drive layup drills, and then increased the number of defenders as practice wore on until they finished with a three-on-two drill.

*Of course, the main component of the Dribble Drive Motion Offense is dribbling. The only negative I drew from the practice was the Wildcats’ sloppiness in handling the ball. I heard Calipari say a couple of times that they were going to have to get much better handling the ball.

*Calipari wants them to play extremely fast. He doesn’t want any hesitation when they have the ball and he even stopped a few players a couple of times for slowing up. No matter who has it – Calipari said he’s going to teach everybody, post players included, to drive it like they were guards – he wants them taking it straight to the basket as fast as they can for a layup or lob pass.

*One of the biggest things I took out of practice was Calipari’s message of simplicity. He said he’s not running the And 1 team and wants to make the game as simple as possible for them.

*Calipari likes the ball in the air. The only bounce he likes is when it comes to dribbling. He’s not against bounce passes all together, but he doesn’t like wrap-around passes or bounce passes underneath the basket because guards can come in and pick them off.

*As much as the practice was about the dribble drive, it was also about layups. Calipari said the point of the offense was to get easy layups. Part of that, he said, is they have to make all of them. UK missed quite a few in practice, and Calipari said they’ll eventually chart every single shot in practice, from layups to 3-pointers to half-court shots. He said if you can’t make them in practice, you won’t be able to make them in the game.

*Just an observation, but I believe Darius Miller is going to flourish in Calipari’s system. I thought he had a phenomenal first practice under Calipari, and the coach even praised him one time for his ability to drive the ball to the basket. Calipari told Miller he was going to “drive his brain out” playing for him.

*Kyle Macy came by practice and watched the entire session. Calipari came over during and after practice to shake Macy’s hand and talk with him for a few minutes.

*And finally, practice was extremely upbeat. The guys were constantly clapping, very attentive and looked like they were just having a good time.

Don't know how legit this is, but anything by SaveUK seems to coincide with this article:

http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=16732#comments

Seems that Matt Pilgrim was the most impressive player on the floor. Also echoed the same statement about Darius Miller. The ballhandling is going to have to get better and the one player singled out was Jodie Meeks.

Blimpie
04-03-2009, 11:33 AM
That's some serious posting right there. I'm probably the last person in the world who would root for Kentucky, but I've got to hand it to you guys for your dedication.It bears repeating... The nearly 1,000 post thread (998 last count) was started after the previous Kentucky basketball thread exceeded 1,000 posts (about a month ago).

So, for all intents and purposes, this is now the third UK basketball thread of the spring season. Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it...

:D

BRM
04-03-2009, 11:35 AM
It bears repeating... The nearly 1,000 post thread (998 last count) was started after the previous Kentucky basketball thread exceeded 1,000 posts (about a month ago).

So, for all intents and purposes, this is now the third UK basketball thread of the spring season. Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it...

And I believe we managed to get one or two locked last spring as well. You are probably up to UK thread 4 or 5 actually.

Blimpie
04-03-2009, 11:38 AM
All that--with Gillispie manning the helm. I guess we can consider this the first thread since the new captain took over.

With all of the nautical references, WVRed should just re-name this the "Caliparty Boat" thread...

BRM
04-03-2009, 11:43 AM
MemphisRoar has learned that Xavier Henry and his brother CJ could possibly stay at the University of Memphis next year. Adam Zagoria reported the following in his blog (http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/04/03/henrys-considering-staying-at-memphis/#more-14402):

Xavier and C.J. Henry will spend Friday talking on the phone about their futures and could elect to remain at Memphis under a new coach.
That’s what their father, Carl Henry, said in a morning interview.
“We’re going to wait,” Carl said. “We’re just going to wait and see who Memphis hires.”
Asked if both brothers could remain at Memphis instead of going to Kansas or Kentucky, Carl said, “Yes, it’s a chance. I’ve been told [by sources at Memphis] either Reggie Theus or Avery Johnson [could be the new coach]. That’s what I hear.”
One of then issues with the Henry brothers going to another school like Kentucky or Kansas is that CJ Henry would have to sit out a year. The Henry’s really want to be able to play together in Xavier’s one and only year in college.

WVRed
04-03-2009, 11:49 AM
All that--with Gillispie manning the helm. I guess we can consider this the first thread since the new captain took over.

With all of the nautical references, WVRed should just re-name this the "Caliparty Boat" thread...

That would work if I could do it.

Any chance a mod could rename it the Caliparty Boat UK Thread?

dabvu2498
04-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Avery Johnson!? Sweet mama!

BRM
04-03-2009, 12:02 PM
From what I've read this morning about Billy's former 09 recruits, it sounds like Vilarino is out, Hood is in and Orton is supposed to decide over the weekend. Is that about right?

cumberlandreds
04-03-2009, 12:13 PM
From what I've read this morning about Billy's former 09 recruits, it sounds like Vilarino is out, Hood is in and Orton is supposed to decide over the weekend. Is that about right?

Right on the nose. You will be a Kentucky fan before you know it. ;) We are getting you sucked into it good aren't we?

BRM
04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
You will be a Kentucky fan before you know it.

:barf:

WVRed
04-03-2009, 12:21 PM

Pretty much. I see Orton staying though.

Right now I am about 75% on Cousins coming to Kentucky, 50% on Wall, and 25% on Henry.

WVRed
04-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Coming soon to Lexington (possibly in the old Rick Pitino italian restaurant)

http://memphismenusonline.com/cals_championship_steakhouse.html

Theoretically speaking.

HBP
04-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Pretty much. I see Orton staying though.

Right now I am about 75% on Cousins coming to Kentucky, 50% on Wall, and 25% on Henry.

So Orton is more of a pure C, while Cousins is a SF/PF? Seems like those two could eat each others minutes.

Wall has to be the #1 priority for Cal. If he can get him everything after that is gravy.

BRM
04-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Memphis Roar has added more detail to that article.

In addition, Theus has direct connections to Otis Hughley (DeMarcus Cousins’ high school coach at LeFlore) and the state of Alabama as a whole. Some interesting possibilities with the vacant head coaching position are now opening up. Both of these hires would be that “wow” hire that Alan Graf described to The Commercial Appeal two days ago.

WMR
04-03-2009, 01:24 PM
So Orton is more of a pure C, while Cousins is a SF/PF? Seems like those two could eat each others minutes.

Wall has to be the #1 priority for Cal. If he can get him everything after that is gravy.

Orton would be more interchangeable with Patterson in Cal's system (the one center).

Cousins, on the other hand, would be able to play in one of the other 3 interchangeable dribble drive spots quite easily, IMO. Along with Pilgrim.

Wall
Miller
Cousins
Pilgrim
Patterson

My lord, can you imagine how beastly that squad would be?

WMR
04-03-2009, 01:26 PM
I don't think it matters what coach Memphis hires, to be honest. Those kids signed up to play the DDMO. If Henry doesn't go to KU he'll be at UK. And it's gotta KILL Bill Self that Henry agreed to take a visit to UK before giving a verbal to KU.

Cousins is just about a sure thing, IMO.

WVRed
04-03-2009, 01:27 PM

No. Both are pure centers.

Patterson IMO is more of a PF than a center, but because there really isn't much of a presence in the middle Patterson has been filling that role.

I'm predicting Xavier Henry stays at Memphis. He wants to play with his brother and has a chance to be a Michael Beasley in terms of a great player on an average team next season. If he goes to Kansas, he is buying into Bill Self's system for one year and he may have to share minutes at Kentucky. Memphis makes the most sense.

WMR
04-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Demarcus really isn't a pure center, WV. He was hitting 3s in the AA game and he has got EXCELLENT handles. He will have the ability to play a 3-4 hybrid in the League.

BRM
04-03-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm predicting Xavier Henry stays at Memphis. He wants to play with his brother and has a chance to be a Michael Beasley in terms of a great player on an average team next season. If he goes to Kansas, he is buying into Bill Self's system for one year and he may have to share minutes at Kentucky. Memphis makes the most sense.

I agree with you...unless Memphis totally whiffs on their next coach of course.

Blimpie
04-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Both of these hires (Avery Johnson or Reggie Theus) would be that “wow” hire that Alan Graf described to The Commercial Appeal two days agoExcept, when Graf wrote that article, the 'wow' guys were Rick Pitino and Bruce Pearl.

macro
04-03-2009, 01:45 PM
For when the other thread gets closed.:D

Actually, this is the third UK Basketball thread of this season. Since I don't know the French word for "three", I'll just change it to "III".

:cool:

WVRed
04-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Should point out in discussion from the old thread, North Carolina has now gotten involved with Wall.

I can't see that one happening. UNC made their bed early with Dexter Strickland and now they are going after Wall.

WVRed
04-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Actually, this is the third UK Basketball thread of this season. Since I don't know the French word for "three", I'll just change it to "III".

I still like the Caliparty Boat:)

Hoosier Red
04-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Should point out in discussion from the old thread, North Carolina has now gotten involved with Wall.

I can't see that one happening. UNC made their bed early with Dexter Strickland and now they are going after Wall.

What say you Puffy?

WMR
04-03-2009, 01:48 PM

Nice work, Mac. :clap:

Blimpie
04-03-2009, 01:49 PM

I can't see that one happening. UNC made their bed early with Dexter Strickland and now they are going after Wall.You beat me to it, WVRed...it sounds like we visit the same library branch:

According to our friend Bomani Jones (who is based in Raleigh), North Carolina is now actively pursuing John Wall, as of last night. So that means that the four best programs in the land in my view (UNC, UK, Duke, Kansas) are all still going after the star PG. Quite a battle…..

WMR
04-03-2009, 01:50 PM
You beat me to it, WVRed...it sounds like we visit the same library branch:

:laugh:

Guess UNC can use those selfish, me-first kids after all.

WMR
04-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Calipari, Kentucky form scary union

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports Mar 31, 11:53 pm EDT

So now here comes Cal, not from some school off the beaten path where he needs to kick down doors and do the impossible, but right there from the mountaintop in Lexington, right there from the inner circle.

The Roman Empire of college basketball, Rick Pitino once called Kentucky basketball. The Notre Dame of college basketball, John Calipari supposedly described it to his Memphis players on Monday. They meant the glory days of each.

And now Kentucky chose Calipari; an establishment, Cadillac program ended what appeared to be a career-long freeze-out of one of the game’s most proven winners. Just when it seemed like Cal was going to have to try and win it all from Memphis, Kentucky threw in the towel of bowing to innuendo and got real.

It’s about winning in college basketball; nothing more, nothing less.

Calipari is no worse than most of the game’s top coaches. No better either. Does he take kids of questionable character? Of course, how many don’t? Does he use his friendship with William Wesley to land star recruits? Yes, and he doesn’t apologize for it.

“Recruiting is about relationships and I’ve known William Wesley for 20 years,” he said.

You think he’s the only one working that angle?

This scared schools when it came to Cal. It didn’t when it came to other coaches. Perception was reality, though.

Pitino had NCAA violations in his past as an assistant and Kentucky gladly hired him to clean up after a scandal, which he did. Roy Williams left Kansas to deal with major violations and everyone thought he was right for North Carolina, which he was.

It’s all a big shade of gray; one that the Big Blue finally embraced.

They missed the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1991 and haven’t been to a Final Four since 1998. Tubby Smith was a good man but he had too many team turmoils and not enough deep NCAA runs. Billy Gillispie worked like a mad man but never looked comfortable in Lexington.

Calipari will suffer neither problem. The guy was born to coach at a place like Kentucky. He’ll win. He’ll win games; he’ll win over the fans; he’ll win championships.

He could win one next season if some of his star recruits bail on Memphis and follow him to UK where Patrick Patterson and Jodie Meeks await. Seriously, it could be that quick.

And that’s why he’s here.

Calipari was torn, his assistants and confidants say. He spent two gut-wrenching days trying to find a reason to turn down his dream job. He’d come to love Memphis, come to love being the big-mouth spokesman for a team and a city that the powers that be would love to forget. He’d rant about state funding and politics as much as the RPI and bracketology. It was a role he played well.

He’ll do some of the same in Kentucky – becoming a spokesperson for the school and the state – only now he won’t have to worry about getting media attention or respect or top recruits. They’ll come because they’ve always come. This is the program with the most passionate fan base, with top-tier facilities, with a magical tradition.

That’s what he couldn’t say no to. Not to mention the $31 million, of course.

All of a sudden college basketball’s ultimate outsider is an insider; Coach Cal has the keys to the castle. It’s a marriage that has to send fear across college basketball. When Kentucky is rolling, nothing rolls quite like it. Pitino had it that way in the 1990s and the Wildcats went to three consecutive national title games, winning twice (1996, 1998).

Since then though, something’s been missing. Smith kept a low profile and while he had a number of good clubs, after Pitino’s players left he had no great ones. Entire seasons were plagued by off-court issues. Gillispie’s brief era will be better forgotten than remembered.

Now here comes Cal and you wonder what will happen down the road at Louisville. Pitino, who once helped get his alma mater, UMass, to hire Cal, has no interest in this. He was pushing Travis Ford and John Pelphrey in the media for a reason, and not just loyalty to former players.

Pitino doesn’t fear Calipari, but he dreads him. He dreads the comments, dreads the rivalry, dreads the fact that he isn’t going to be able to push the Wildcats around anymore.

Mostly he just dreads having to deal with this guy. No one wants to be Calipari’s rival. John Chaney, who now swears by the guy, once tried to fight him at a news conference.

“You just pull that little cord, and the same [comments] come out,” a flustered Pitino said after one of their many dust-ups when U of L was in Conference USA.

You wonder if Calipari’s presence down I-64 is enough to make that Arizona job a bit more appealing for Pitino.

No matter, the landscape of the game has changed. Suddenly there is stable leadership at each of the nation’s six biggest powers – Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina and UCLA.

Soon enough all six will be firing again on all cylinders, making it that much tougher for the upstart programs, the interlopers without the historic pedigree.

With Calipari, Kentucky has to like its chances. Calipari, for once, has to like his, too.

Puffy
04-03-2009, 02:45 PM
North Carolina is not going after Wall from anything I heard. I did hear CJ Leslie though.

And Wily Mo - again, what does what UNC is doing have anything to do with what I am saying? Do you understand I don't work for UNC? I don't want Wall. I hope this is not true. If he signs there I'll root for him just like McCants. Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

TeamSelig
04-03-2009, 03:17 PM
He isn't good enough for UNC

HBP
04-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Not directed at anybody, but concerning Pilgrim, it seems like everyone think he's going step in and become Jamal Mashburn (ok maybe not that bad). Huge difference between practice and playing UNC, UL, etc. Really, any decent player could look good in practice compared to most of the team this year. It sounds like he's being setup to be the next Josh Carrier or Antwain Barbour.

dabvu2498
04-03-2009, 06:40 PM
The Big 10 Network is replaying the 2005 loss to Mich. St. In the Regional Finals. So painful. So painful. Lots of "what ifs" on that squad. Pretty fun team to watch overall though.

jmac
04-03-2009, 07:46 PM
You gotta like that. He's not been the coach for two days and he out teaching them already. I would imagine every player is going to have to improve his ball handling in this system. Last years team was one of the worst I had ever seen at UK in that aspect of the game. Miller has been one people haven't talked about much after Calipari was hired. I would think he would be great in his system. I thought Miller improved quite a bit last season despite Gillispie.

I agree on Miller. I wondered for longest time how he ever got to be Mr Basketball.
He did progress nicely and I think he can be an excellent role player though and maybe even really flourish under Cal.

WVRed
04-03-2009, 09:35 PM
North Carolina is not going after Wall from anything I heard. I did hear CJ Leslie though.

And Wily Mo - again, what does what UNC is doing have anything to do with what I am saying? Do you understand I don't work for UNC? I don't want Wall. I hope this is not true. If he signs there I'll root for him just like McCants. Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

It's on Scout Premium.

And then there is this to contradict it:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/prepsnow/wall-says-unc-is-not-recruiting-him

University of North Carolina basketball coach Roy Williams called top-ranked point guard John Wall on Thursday night, but Wall said the Tar Heels are not recruiting him.

"It wasn't anything major," Wall said. "He just called to check in, see how I was doing, what was going on. It's nothing big.

"North Carolina is not recruiting me right now."

Asked would he be interested in North Carolina if it began recruiting him, Wall said, "That's something we'd just have to wait and see."

Wall said earlier this week that Memphis was his leader, but that was before Coach John Calipari left for Kentucky. After Calipari's exit, Wall said Memphis was no longer his leader and
that he had added Kentucky to his list. He was emphatic that Kentucky
was not his leader and that he has no leader anymore.

Also on his list are Duke, N.C. State, Baylor, Kansas, Memphis, Miami and Kentucky.

Friday, the Raleigh Word of God senior said he is still considering Memphis and is waiting to see who it names as head coach.

Wall is a 6-foot-4 point guard and the No. 1-ranked player in the country by rivals.com.

He has scheduled an official visit to Miami.

Puffy
04-03-2009, 10:00 PM
I was just about to post that - thanks WV.

WVRed
04-03-2009, 11:51 PM
I was just about to post that - thanks WV.

My guess is it comes down to three teams and factors:

1. Do you want to go to a school in Texas that you would be the star attraction, where your AAU coach is an assistant, and make a name for yourself the way Michael Beasley did? (Baylor)

2. Do you want to go to a school that is 25 miles from your hometown of Raleigh, get much national exposure from ESPN and Dookie V, but at the same time likely have to fight for playing time with Nolan Smith, Gerald Henderson, and Jon Scheyer? (Duke)

3. Do you want to come to a school where the coach runs an offense that glorifies point guards, where this coach had recruited you before, and would likely offer the playing time and potential supporting cast necessary to make a title run, even if it is farther from home? (Kentucky)

Apparently there was a radio station in NC today that interviewed Wall and he said that Kentucky was his leader at the moment, but he was going to wait a couple of weeks before announcing for sure. He also discredited the UNC rumors and that Roy Williams was not recruiting him.

jmac
04-04-2009, 08:48 AM
My guess is it comes down to three teams and factors:

1. Do you want to go to a school in Texas that you would be the star attraction, where your AAU coach is an assistant, and make a name for yourself the way Michael Beasley did? (Baylor)

2. Do you want to go to a school that is 25 miles from your hometown of Raleigh, get much national exposure from ESPN and Dookie V, but at the same time likely have to fight for playing time with Nolan Smith, Gerald Henderson, and Jon Scheyer? (Duke)

3. Do you want to come to a school where the coach runs an offense that glorifies point guards, where this coach had recruited you before, and would likely offer the playing time and potential supporting cast necessary to make a title run, even if it is farther from home? (Kentucky)

Apparently there was a radio station in NC today that interviewed Wall and he said that Kentucky was his leader at the moment, but he was going to wait a couple of weeks before announcing for sure. He also discredited the UNC rumors and that Roy Williams was not recruiting him.
Thats great news on Wall so for. After watching a practice the other night, I am sure Cal noticed our need for a pointguard. :D

Blimpie
04-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Methinks young Mr. Wall quite enjoys the cat & mouse games of the recruiting process.

WVRed
04-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Methinks young Mr. Wall quite enjoys the cat & mouse games of the recruiting process.

I give him credit. Most kids commit early and with coaching changes end up reopening their commitments. I think of Patterson two years ago. Imagine if he had committed when Tubby was the coach?

WVRed
04-04-2009, 08:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2G4MEcVTWU&feature=player_embedded

Calipari interview today on CBS. Gotta love Seth Davis bringing up the money and Cal shooting it down real quick.

jmac
04-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Just thinking about where UK would be today "if"....
I seen some reports that Izzo was a target if Cal said No. Lets say he had of said No.
Would UK have waited for Izzo to complete tourney run or you think they would have settled for someone else ?
Dont get me wrong, I am glad he didnt say "no" but just curious on your thoughts....

jmac
04-04-2009, 09:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2G4MEcVTWU&feature=player_embedded

Calipari interview today on CBS. Gotta love Seth Davis bringing up the money and Cal shooting it down real quick.

Go Cal.....:beerme:
Tell Seth like it is ! :thumbup:

dabvu2498
04-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Just thinking about where UK would be today "if".... I seen some reports that Izzo was a target if Cal said No. Lets say he had of said No. Would UK have waited for Izzo to complete tourney run or you think they would have settled for someone else ? Dont get me wrong, I am glad he didnt say "no" but just curious on your thoughts.... Good question. Also, those who wanted Anderson instead of Izzo... I can't help you. Dude can coach at any pace.

WVRed
04-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Something to keep an eye on in the coming days:

Where Reggie Theus ends up.

He is being linked to both Memphis and Arizona and also has connections to DeMarcus Cousins. If he lands at either of those jobs we will have competition for his services.

Arizona is getting pretty desperate after everybody has turned them down. I have even heard Josh Pastner being mentioned.

Blimpie
04-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Something to keep an eye on in the coming days:

Where Reggie Theus ends up.

He is being linked to both Memphis and Arizona and also has connections to DeMarcus Cousins. If he lands at either of those jobs we will have competition for his services.

Arizona is getting pretty desperate after everybody has turned them down. I have even heard Josh Pastner being mentioned.There is more truth to that rumor than you would think. In fact, he is not out of the mix at Memphis either. Most people know that Josh's ultimate goal is to be a head coach--not just a 'recruiting guru' under Calipari.

dabvu2498
04-05-2009, 11:06 AM
There is more truth to that rumor than you would think. In fact, he is not out of the mix at Memphis either. Most people know that Josh's ultimate goal is to be a head coach--not just a 'recruiting guru' under Calipari. Sounds like Memphis may be down to Plan Z by the time they make a hire. Drew told them no. Allegedly Arizona will make a run at Sean Miller. Something I read from Cousins' dad made me think whoever hires Theus gets Cousins automaticly.

jmac
04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I seen last night where Henry has picked Kansas on ESPN ( at bottom of screen).
It still may happen but at least right now, it isnt true per Henry's dad.

Link: http://www.newsok.com/xavier-henrys-father-says-no-decision-has-been-made-for-putnam-city-guard/article/3359105?custom_click=headlines_widget

dsmith421
04-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Miller is apparently headed to Arizona. Being a Xavier fan consists of long periods of contentment followed by being hit in the nuts with a crowbar. Literally none of the names mentioned inspire any confidence.

Miller apparently told the XU executive committee on Friday that he had turned Arizona down. The AD, armed with this info, headed to Detroit for the Final Four. It sounds like everyone was blindsided by his change of heart.

Blimpie
04-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Is it a confirmed story about Miller to Arizona? I had only seen reports that he 'met with' the AD today.

With the way the last two weeks have gone for Arizona, I would not be popping the champagne corks until Miller inked the deal.

WMR
04-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Wow, Louisville is more of a basketball school than I gave them credit for. :laugh:

George Foster
04-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Go Cal.....:beerme:
Tell Seth like it is ! :thumbup:

Hey coach Cal...NEVER apologize or feel guilty for being successful. NO ONE would turn down 30 million dollars.:thumbup:

gilpdawg
04-06-2009, 01:41 AM
Is it a confirmed story about Miller to Arizona? I had only seen reports that he 'met with' the AD today.

With the way the last two weeks have gone for Arizona, I would not be popping the champagne corks until Miller inked the deal.
SportsCenter just said he turned the job down.

dsmith421
04-06-2009, 09:16 AM
SportsCenter just said he turned the job down.

Pretty dramatic change of heart. Maybe he just wanted to ride on an airplane.

WVRed
04-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Hey coach Cal...NEVER apologize or feel guilty for being successful. NO ONE would turn down 30 million dollars.:thumbup:

He actually turned down more money at Memphis to go to Kentucky.

BRM
04-06-2009, 09:38 AM
He actually turned down more money at Memphis to go to Kentucky.

Memphis never released how much they offered, did they? I've read where they supposedly were ready to top UK's offer but I have never seen how much they actually put on the table.

WVRed
04-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Memphis never released how much they offered, did they? I've read where they supposedly were ready to top UK's offer but I have never seen how much they actually put on the table.

It was never released to my knowledge but Cal has said it on more than one occasion.

Blimpie
04-06-2009, 06:05 PM
CBS Sports is now reporting that Josh Pastner will be named the head coach at Memphis. As good as that is for Josh, that might seriously hamper future recruiting initiatives for Coach Calipari.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11600010

WVRed
04-06-2009, 10:13 PM
CBS Sports is now reporting that Josh Pastner will be named the head coach at Memphis. As good as that is for Josh, that might seriously hamper future recruiting initiatives for Coach Calipari.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11600010

I'm actually not too disappointed in this.

Pastner is supposed to hire Carl Henry (Xavier and CJ's dad) to the same job Rod Strickland had. That means we will lose on on Xavier Henry, but it's not like we were going to land him anyways.

He doesn't hurt us in getting Wall or Cousins to Memphis. Reggie Theus I would have worried about, and I doubt Xavier is going to go after Theus (I could be wrong).

Best of luck to Josh, we hardly knew ye'.

BRM
04-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Jsaon King at Yahoo Sports is claiming Meeks has decided to enter the NBA draft. He will not hire an agent though.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-meeksdraft040609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

improbus
04-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Jsaon King at Yahoo Sports is claiming Meeks has decided to enter the NBA draft. He will not hire an agent though.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-meeksdraft040609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
I'm surprised considering that he is not listed as a 1st round guy. Nbadraft.net has him listed as a 2nd round guy in 2010! It is starting to look like that dream we all had of a super team next year is slowly dissipating. His anouncement kind of reminds me of Azubuike's. Hopefully he doesn't have the same issues getting into the league.

WVRed
04-07-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm surprised considering that he is not listed as a 1st round guy. Nbadraft.net has him listed as a 2nd round guy in 2010! It is starting to look like that dream we all had of a super team next year is slowly dissipating. His anouncement kind of reminds me of Azubuike's. Hopefully he doesn't have the same issues getting into the league.

No surprise, and hardly similar to Azubuike.

IIRC, Az's dad went to prison and he had a monetary situation to where he had to go pro. Meeks is more like Tayshaun Prince and Keith Bogans, just using the NBA draft camps to see what he needs to work on and seeing where he grades out.

IMO, he and Patterson will be back. We aren't going to get Henry but Cousins and Wall are still strong possibilities. If we get those two we are set. Anything else is icing on the cake.

BRM
04-07-2009, 10:17 AM

I'd think it's still pretty likely he returns to UK next season.

improbus
04-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I'd think it's still pretty likely he returns to UK next season.

I hope so.

WMR
04-07-2009, 12:29 PM
It's not a surprise at all that Meeks is putting his name into the draft. He isn't hiring an agent, and you're only allowed to put your name into the draft and then return to school once. It will give him an excellent indicator of where he stands and what he needs to improve upon most his senior season.

WVRed
04-07-2009, 04:02 PM
It's not a surprise at all that Meeks is putting his name into the draft. He isn't hiring an agent, and you're only allowed to put your name into the draft and then return to school once. It will give him an excellent indicator of where he stands and what he needs to improve upon most his senior season.

Out of curiosity, do you think Pastner going back to Memphis has any effect on us landing Cousins?

WMR
04-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Out of curiosity, do you think Pastner going back to Memphis has any effect on us landing Cousins?

I don't think so. I think Cousins is the type of kid who wants the "sure thing" to make himself a one and done player. I think it mostly hinges on him getting himself eligible academically. He still hasn't taken the ACT.

I think Pastner is going to ultimately struggle at Memphis, to be completely honest. I think he'll win the league next year but will soon realize that recruits aren't nearly as enamored with coming to Memphis when the name "John Calipari" isn't on the Tiger letterhead.

leakbrewergator
04-07-2009, 04:34 PM

I agree. Smart move by Meeks. Nick Calathes is doing the same thing (although, I'm sure Meeks will have a tougher decision.) I expect both to be back.

Puffy
04-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Well, it appears there are more legs to the Wall story than even thought of last week. An article on Wall on Rivals BBall Recruiting front page is titled "New Player in Wall Saga" and the last line (I can't repost the whole artile because its premium content) is:

"I think it is pretty good to have schools like Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas recruiting me," he said. "Those are four of the top schools that you hear about the most. It's great that coaches from schools like those want to see me and recruit me. In the end this is my decision, so I'll definitely be looking at North Carolina."

The last part was said because Brian Clifton "handles" Wall and Clifton has stated (last week) that no player he advises will ever play for Roy Williams (goes back to Eric Wallace, the OSU player).

Blimpie
04-07-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm actually not too disappointed in this.

Pastner is supposed to hire Carl Henry (Xavier and CJ's dad) to the same job Rod Strickland had. That means we will lose on on Xavier Henry, but it's not like we were going to land him anyways.

He doesn't hurt us in getting Wall or Cousins to Memphis. Reggie Theus I would have worried about, and I doubt Xavier is going to go after Theus (I could be wrong).

Best of luck to Josh, we hardly knew ye'.I dunno WVRed, Josh was the point man on the Wall recruiting trail for Calipari.

I am still pretty worried that he might pull that signing off for Memphis. I hope that I am wrong.

WVRed
04-07-2009, 10:57 PM
I dunno WVRed, Josh was the point man on the Wall recruiting trail for Calipari.

I am still pretty worried that he might pull that signing off for Memphis. I hope that I am wrong.

Here's the difference though, Pastner was recruiting these kids to play for John Calipari, not for Josh Pastner.

I doubt Pastner could sell Wall, Henry, or Cousins on the idea to play for him at Memphis instead of playing for a proven coach not just at Kentucky, but Kansas, Duke, etc.

WVRed
04-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Also, another under the radar note, Michael Porter is calling it a career.

Graduated in three years, married, and a kid on the way. I didn't like Porter's decision making at times, but he was definitely had the best work ethic of anybody on that team last year. Best of luck to Michael Porter in his future endeavors.

WMR
04-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Demarcus Cousins is a CAT!!!!!

improbus
04-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Demarcus Cousins is a CAT!!!!!

Great news. Paging Mr. Wall, Paging Mr. Wall....

dabvu2498
04-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Demarcus Cousins is a CAT!!!!! :D You can't spell CAT without ACT!!!

improbus
04-08-2009, 08:40 AM
You can't spell CAT without ACT!!!
Details, details...

macro
04-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Also, another under the radar note, Michael Porter is calling it a career.

Graduated in three years, married, and a kid on the way. I didn't like Porter's decision making at times, but he was definitely had the best work ethic of anybody on that team last year. Best of luck to Michael Porter in his future endeavors.

I'm sure the baby was a huge factor in his decision, but I wonder how much of that decision was the result of an honest, heart-to-heart conversation with John Calipari?

improbus
04-08-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm sure the baby was a huge factor in his decision, but I wonder how much of that decision was the result of an honest, heart-to-heart conversation with John Calipari?

One more scholarship for Johnny C to hand out.

Hoosier Red
04-08-2009, 09:07 AM

The local guys were talking today about Dominique Ferguson's re-opening of his recruitment and speculated that Ferguson had a chat with Calipari, and Calipari encouraged him to "re-open" his recruitment, which would help save face as opposed to Kentucky rescinding the scholarship offer.

dabvu2498
04-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Details, details... I read recently that Cousins has not yet taken the ACT or SAT and is thus not yet eligiblle via the NCAA Clearinghouse. Doesn't mean he won't take it soon and get a 36/1600. But it is somewhat different to not have at least taken it by now.

improbus
04-08-2009, 09:12 AM
He has to arrange for his "Cousins" to take the test for him....I'll be here all week....

BRM
04-08-2009, 09:19 AM
From the Sporting News:

"I'd still say it's between ... three schools -- Kansas, Kentucky and Memphis," Carl Henry, Xavier's father, told the paper.

Responding to a Sporting News report (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=535834), new Memphis coach Josh Pastner denied that he'd spoken to Carl about a job as director of player operations and said that a deal for Carl to take the job was not in place. Carl told The Oklahoman that he has not heard from Pastner about the job offer.

WVRed
04-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Well, it appears there are more legs to the Wall story than even thought of last week. An article on Wall on Rivals BBall Recruiting front page is titled "New Player in Wall Saga" and the last line (I can't repost the whole artile because its premium content) is:

"I think it is pretty good to have schools like Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas recruiting me," he said. "Those are four of the top schools that you hear about the most. It's great that coaches from schools like those want to see me and recruit me. In the end this is my decision, so I'll definitely be looking at North Carolina."

The last part was said because Brian Clifton "handles" Wall and Clifton has stated (last week) that no player he advises will ever play for Roy Williams (goes back to Eric Wallace, the OSU player).

I know a lot of UK fans that are freaking out over this, considering Roy managed to land Brandan Wright with one visit after UK worked for years establishing a relationship.

But a lot of that had to do with Tubby Smith. Wright grew up a UK fan and could see the writing on the wall in terms of pro potential at UK vs UNC. Wall OTOH is more likely one and done, and Cal managed to lead one of the best one and done PG's to a championship game.

I don't see UNC being a player in this one. If UNC wanted Wall, I believe they would have went after him instead of Dexter Strickland early in the recruiting process. That and it doesn't seem like Wall fits Roy Williams style of 3-4 year players.

BRM
04-08-2009, 10:01 AM
UNC's style of play is a great fit for Wall. Not that Cal's isn't, mind you. If Roy is expressing interest though, then I think they are absolutely a player for him.

BRM
04-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Gary Parrish's latest on the Cousins commitment.

1. What does this mean for Daniel Orton?

There has been speculation that Orton -- the 12th-best prospect in the Class of 2009 who signed with UK under Billy Gillispie -- would ask for a release if Cousins committed to Kentucky because Orton and Cousins are both big men, and if Patrick Patterson were to remain in school UK would have a crowded frontcourt. However, sources close to the Kentucky program told CBSSports.com that Calipari is working to keep Orton on board, and the ideal scenario would be Orton and Cousins enrolling together.

2. What about Xavier Henry and John Wall?

At least one media outlet reported that new Memphis coach Josh Pastner would hire Henry's father, Carl, in an attempt to keep the McDonald's All-American committed to Memphis, but industry sources told CBSSports.com that's simply not going to happen. Thus, Henry will re-open his recruitment and probably choose between Kansas and Kentucky. As for Wall, the nation's top point guard prospect remains uncommitted. But Kentucky is very much involved, meaning there is a chance that Cousins, Orton, Henry and Wall could play together for Calipari at Kentucky, although it's unclear whether that's a likely scenario or merely a possibility.

HBP
04-08-2009, 11:16 AM

I believe Porter's father was interviewed and said is was all Michael's decision.

Didn't take long for Cal to get UK's highest recruit since Bogans (I think). IMO, let Henry go to Memphis (unless Meeks leaves) and be THE man and Wall come to UK and run the show. I don't know how a team would react with three freshman all basically on a one year plan to get to the league.

WVRed
04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
I believe Porter's father was interviewed and said is was all Michael's decision.

Didn't take long for Cal to get UK's highest recruit since Bogans (I think). IMO, let Henry go to Memphis (unless Meeks leaves) and be THE man and Wall come to UK and run the show. I don't know how a team would react with three freshman all basically on a one year plan to get to the league.

Henry is likely headed to Kansas.

WMR
04-08-2009, 12:22 PM
The local guys were talking today about Dominique Ferguson's re-opening of his recruitment and speculated that Ferguson had a chat with Calipari, and Calipari encouraged him to "re-open" his recruitment, which would help save face as opposed to Kentucky rescinding the scholarship offer.

Wishful thinking on the local guys' part. :D

Cal wants Dom at UK. I think he'll still end up there. He is already a Cat in his heart. He just wants to get to know Cal and his staff and make sure it is a good relationship. I guarantee you Cal didn't tell Dom Ferguson to re-open his commitment.

WMR
04-08-2009, 12:25 PM

If you have any shot at Henry you take him. No offense to Meeks, but he's MUCH better than Jodie. Right now.

BRM
04-08-2009, 01:24 PM
If you have any shot at Henry you take him. No offense to Meeks, but he's MUCH better than Jodie. Right now.

So Henry should come in and average 25 a game right out the gate, huh?

WMR
04-08-2009, 01:29 PM

On last year's team you take Meeks off the team and put Henry on it and he could do that and much more.

Henry is going to be a lottery pick. He's projected 4th right now in next year's draft class on nbadraft.net.

Hoosier Red
04-08-2009, 01:30 PM

Obviously, Meeks has the double taint on him of being recruited by Tubby(who we know can't recruit) and playing for Gillespie(who we know can't coach)

Henry however would be recruited by and play for Calipari, who we all know is the new Gillespie(the old Gillespie being of course Gillespie before it was determined that he sucked) when it comes to recruiting and coaching prowess. So anyone therefore who comes in under Calipari will automatically be worth more than a guy who averages a mere 25 points per game.

BRM
04-08-2009, 01:31 PM
I knew he was good. I didn't realize he was Lebron James though.

WMR
04-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Obviously, Meeks has the double taint on him of being recruited by Tubby(who we know can't recruit) and playing for Gillespie(who we know can't coach)

Henry however would be recruited by and play for Calipari, who we all know is the new Gillespie(the old Gillespie being of course Gillespie before it was determined that he sucked) when it comes to recruiting and coaching prowess. So anyone therefore who comes in under Calipari will automatically be worth more than a guy who averages a mere 25 points per game.

Oh yeah, that's what I was saying. :rolleyes:

WMR
04-08-2009, 01:32 PM
I knew he was good. I didn't realize he was Lebron James though.

:rolleyes:

Yep, that's what I called him. LeBron James.

BRM
04-08-2009, 01:32 PM

:lol:

Roll on, brother!!

BRM
04-08-2009, 01:33 PM
:rolleyes:

Yep, that's what I called him. LeBron James.

Sorry WMR. You just seemed to be tooting his horn pretty hard there.

WMR
04-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Sorry WMR. You just seemed to be tooting his horn pretty hard there.

Have you seen the kid play? He can fill it up in every way imaginable.

I **LOVE** Jodie Meeks. I've watched every game he has played for the last 3 seasons. Can you say that? Can Hoosier Red?

You see his scoring average and that doesn't begin to tell the whole story. Jodie is still a very one dimensional player.

WVRed
04-08-2009, 01:35 PM
While you guys debate Jodie Meeks vs Xavier Henry, should note that Daniel Orton has decommitted.

I'm guessing he was waiting to see if Cousins was going to come or not.

WMR
04-08-2009, 01:35 PM

It's spelled GILLISPIE.

BRM
04-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Don't blow a gasket WMR. No one is questioning the ability of Xavier Henry. I'm just not ready to annoint him a much better player than the best scorer in the SEC before he ever plays a game against a D1 team.

WMR
04-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Don't blow a gasket WMR. No one is questioning the ability of Xavier Henry. I'm just not ready to annoint him a much better player than the best scorer in the SEC before he ever plays a game against a D1 team.

Jodie Meeks is the best player in the SEC?

BRM
04-08-2009, 01:37 PM
While you guys debate Jodie Meeks vs Xavier Henry, should note that Daniel Orton has decommitted.

I'm guessing he was waiting to see if Cousins was going to come or not.

I read the other day he would consider de-committing if Cousins signed. Where is looking to go now? Do you know who is on his short list?

BRM
04-08-2009, 01:38 PM

Jodie Meeks is the best player in the SEC?

I said "scorer", not "player".

WMR
04-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Kansas and Oklahoma State. Also a decent chance he could still end up at UK.

WMR
04-08-2009, 01:39 PM
I said "scorer", not "player".

You said "player" with Henry and "scorer" with Jodie. Which is it? :D

macro
04-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Given that Cousins is coming and Patterson may stay, how big of a loss is Orton? I don't ask that out of disrespect, but rather because I really would like to hear your opinions.

WVRed
04-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Kansas and Oklahoma State. Also a decent chance he could still end up at UK.

I'm thinking more along the lines of him filling the massive crater size hole in Norman, Oklahoma that was left when Blake Griffin declared.:)

BRM
04-08-2009, 01:41 PM
You said "player" with Henry and "scorer" with Jodie. Which is it? :D

Yeah, I guess I did. Poor choice of wording, wasn't it? It doesn't matter anyway. Lebron...err, I mean Xavier...will end up at Kansas anyway. ;)

WMR
04-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Given that Cousins is coming and Patterson may stay, how big of a loss is Orton? I don't ask that out of disrespect, but rather because I really would like to hear your opinions.

*IF* we end up losing him it would be a significant loss, usually...

however, with Coach Cal, and with the bigs that we're going to have next season, it's not that big of a deal.

It's going to be a matter of Cal choosing which 5 star recruits he wants at Kentucky moving forward.

WMR
04-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I guess I did. Poor choice of wording, wasn't it? It doesn't matter anyway. Lebron...err, I mean Xavier...will end up at Kansas anyway. ;)

BTW: I think that Calathes and Patterson are both better SEC players than JM.

WVRed
04-08-2009, 01:43 PM

To be continued...

That is the best way I look at it. Patterson could still go pro and Cousins could possibly be this years Brandon Jennings if he doesn't qualify.

Orton could be a big loss long term, I was hoping he would play a decent role this year coming off the bench and be a major contributor his sophomore year when Cousins and Patterson would likely be gone. Guess that isn't the case.

BRM
04-08-2009, 01:44 PM
BTW: I think that Calathes and Patterson are both better SEC players than JM.

Holy crap, you just gave props to a Florida player. I feel light-headed....

WMR
04-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Oh yeah: And Devan Downey as well.

WMR
04-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Holy crap, you just gave props to a Florida player. I feel light-headed....

Just keepin' it real. :D

joshnky
04-08-2009, 01:48 PM
It's going to be a matter of Cal choosing which 5 star recruits he wants at Kentucky moving forward.

You are hilarious.

dabvu2498
04-08-2009, 01:49 PM
One more time: It's spelled GILLISPIE. Nope. Wrong. It is spelled G O N E.

BRM
04-08-2009, 01:50 PM
You are hilarious.

Haven't you heard? Pitino, Crean and the rest of the area coaches should all pick up their ball and go home. They have no shot at 5 star recruits anymore. They all want to play for Calipari. He never has to leave his house and he can land any and every 5 star.

WMR
04-08-2009, 01:51 PM
You are hilarious.

Little Brother is scaredddd.

Too bad The Godfather couldn't get his favorite son Travis the Kentucky job, huh? :laugh:

BRM
04-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Nope. Wrong. It is spelled G O N E.

Wait, it was spelled "SAVIOR" just a few months ago...

WMR
Haven't you heard? Pitino, Crean and the rest of the area coaches should all pick up their ball and go home. They have no shot at 5 star recruits anymore. They all want to play for Calipari. He never has to leave his house and he can land any and every 5 star.

Yeah because there are only 3-4 five star recruits every year.

Jeez you should work for the National Enquirer the way you twist statements to mean something totally different than what was implied/meant.

BRM
Little Brother is scaredddd.

Too bad The Godfather couldn't get his favorite son Travis the Kentucky job, huh? :laugh:

Scared? That's a good one.

WMR
04-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Scared? That's a good one.

Should've read the Louisville Rivals board on the day the hiring was announced.

The fear was palpable.

BRM
04-08-2009, 01:56 PM

Jeez you should work for the National Enquirer the way you twist statements to mean something totally different than what was implied/meant.

And every single one of them every year wants to play for Calipari. That's what you implied by saying Cal could pick and choose which 5 star recruits will play for UK.

WMR
04-08-2009, 01:57 PM
And every single one of them every year wants to play for Calipari. That's what you implied by saying Cal could pick and choose which 5 star recruits will play for UK.

Does that mean that no one else is going to get any five star recruits?

BRM
04-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Does that mean that no one else is going to get any five star recruits?

They will get the leftovers I suppose. Unless Cal decides he wants them all in a particular year.

WMR
04-08-2009, 02:00 PM
They will get the leftovers I suppose. Unless Cal decides he wants them all in a particular year.

That's possible. I guess Cal could give all 30 five star recruits a scholarship.

BRM
04-08-2009, 02:01 PM
That's possible. I guess Cal could give all 30 five star recruits a scholarship.

Why not? He's THAT good.

WMR
04-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Why not? He's THAT good.

Good point...

well, perhaps he'll let Crean keep one out of charity.

cincrazy
04-08-2009, 02:03 PM
The back and forth between UK and Louisville fans is quite entertaining. Truthfully, I don't see how much of an effect one has on the other. They're not in the same conference, and they can both be successful at the same time. It's not like Cal going to UK is going to cripple Pitino's program, and it's not like the presence of Pitino is going to hinder Cal. So one might, just MIGHT, lose a recruit they would have nabbed otherwise. However, they'll just replace that one recruit with another 4 or 5 star recruit and move on.

BRM
04-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Good point...

well, perhaps he'll let Crean keep one out of charity.

I hope so. Tijan Jobe can't do it all by himself next year.

joshnky
04-08-2009, 02:12 PM
The back and forth between UK and Louisville fans is quite entertaining. Truthfully, I don't see how much of an effect one has on the other. They're not in the same conference, and they can both be successful at the same time. It's not like Cal going to UK is going to cripple Pitino's program, and it's not like the presence of Pitino is going to hinder Cal. So one might, just MIGHT, lose a recruit they would have nabbed otherwise. However, they'll just replace that one recruit with another 4 or 5 star recruit and move on.

Agreed. They didn't recruit against each other when Cal was at Memphis so it is unlikely that they will overlap much now. Both are great recruiters and coaches. In the past Cal has pushed hard for the top guys regardless of how long or whether they stay in school. After getting burned several years in a row (Telfair, Donta Smith, Amir Johnson) Pitino has mostly stuck to recruiting top players that will stick around for a few years (Clark, Samuels, Siva). Although, he did flirt with Tyreke Evans before giving up on him his senior year when he started to look like a one year player (and Memphis had him locked up).

Both programs will be great. This just intensifies the fan hatred even more.

Puffy
04-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Geez, you mean like you were doing to me in the first Kentucky thread?

Sucks when it isn't you doing he twisting, eh??

BRM
04-08-2009, 03:23 PM
What do you insiders know about LeBron's, err...I mean Xavier's, brother and his transfer request? There was a KC Star article that claims they are free to talk to other schools now. I assume this means C.J. can transfer with sitting out a year?

Kansas recruit Xavier Henry received a release from his signed letter of intent to Memphis on Tuesday, according to Rivals.com.

The site also reported that Henry’s brother, a freshman at Memphis, has received permission to transfer in the aftermath of John Calipari’s move to Kentucky.

The Henrys are now free to talk to other schools. Kansas and Kentucky appear to be the main options.

WMR
04-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Geez, you mean like you were doing to me in the first Kentucky thread?

Sucks when it isn't you doing he twisting, eh??

I've never intentionally twisted anything you've typed.

You made it sound like Roy didn't want/wouldn't take John Wall and that was/is utter bunk.

dabvu2498
04-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I will be excited when these guys are actually in uniforms and on the practice court. Til then, it's baseball season. All this recruiting stuff is too gray for me.

BRM
04-08-2009, 03:53 PM
I will be excited when these guys are actually in uniforms and on the practice court. Til then, it's baseball season. All this recruiting stuff is too gray for me.

It's not a black and white world, dab. You gotta adjust dude. ;)

Puffy
04-08-2009, 03:59 PM
I've never intentionally twisted anything you've typed.

You made it sound like Roy didn't want/wouldn't take John Wall and that was/is utter bunk.

Which I never said - thats how you interpreted it. Just like BRM and Joshnky interpreted your "5 stars" line incorrectly.

But kept posting that garbage. If you knew the history of Roy and Brian Clifton and if you knew that only recently Wall has been distancing himself from Clifton (at least from afar) then you would understand what changed and why Roy now might be talking to Wall.

And again, its me who doesn't want Wall, not Roy. But we have no chance, cause according to you Coach Cal gets his pick of 5-stars and whatever is left over the rest of us basketball inferiors gets to choose from.

I just hope Cal has the decency to let us know when he is done eating so the rest of us can get to the table early enough to know our rosters!

dabvu2498
04-08-2009, 04:05 PM
It's not a black and white world, dab. You gotta adjust dude. ;) I prefer to watch games than talk about underage boys. Perverts!

WMR
04-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Which I never said - thats how you interpreted it. Just like BRM and Joshnky interpreted your "5 stars" line incorrectly.

But kept posting that garbage. If you knew the history of Roy and Brian Clifton and if you knew that only recently Wall has been distancing himself from Clifton (at least from afar) then you would understand what changed and why Roy now might be talking to Wall.

And again, its me who doesn't want Wall, not Roy. But we have no chance, cause according to you Coach Cal gets his pick of 5-stars and whatever is left over the rest of us basketball inferiors gets to choose from.

I just hope Cal has the decency to let us know when he is done eating so the rest of us can get to the table early enough to know our rosters!

Puffy
04-08-2009, 04:08 PM
I prefer to watch games than talk about underage boys. Perverts!

doth protest too much...

BRM
04-08-2009, 04:08 PM
I interpreted something incorrectly? That's impossible.

jmac
04-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Dont know if reported on here or not but WHAS radio just said...Cousins has announced he is KY bound while Orton has asked out of his letter. Said he is still considering Ky.

If already posted...sorry.

Just seen it ..omit this post if you like.

jmac
04-08-2009, 04:36 PM
We still could have a strong frontline "if" PP comes back.
Then you would be looking at Patterson/Cousins/Stevenson/Pilgrim.
I think alot are going to be surprised at Pilgrim's play.

dabvu2498
04-08-2009, 04:44 PM
We still could have a strong frontline "if" PP comes back. Then you would be looking at Patterson/Cousins/Stevenson/Pilgrim. I think alot are going to be surprised at Pilgrim's play. Don't forget the premier signing from last spring... Josh Harrelson! ;)

BRM
04-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Don't forget the premier signing from last spring... Josh Harrelson! ;)

I thought you weren't talking hoops again until practice jerseys were being worn? It's baseball season ya know.

dabvu2498
04-08-2009, 04:54 PM
I thought you weren't talking hoops again until practice jerseys were being worn? It's baseball season ya know. No more recruiting talk for me. Harrelson has actually played in an SEC game. Whether he deserved to or not... :)

BRM
04-08-2009, 04:56 PM
No more recruiting talk for me. Harrelson has actually played in an SEC game. Whether he deserved to or not... :)

Ah, okay. Speaking of Harrelson, will he still be on the roster next year? I can't see him getting much playing time with The Recruiting King at the helm.

Scrap Irony
04-08-2009, 06:08 PM
What would be really interesting is if both Meeks and Patterson leave and Kentucky is led by two (Wall, Cousins) or three (add Henry) freshmen, intent on being one and done. Could make for a trainwreck of a season or a Final Four.

And, BTW, Meeks is a Top Five player in America if he returns. To say Henry is better is ridiculous. He may have talent, but the proof, as they say, is in the pudding and Meeks is a souffle.

WMR
04-08-2009, 06:33 PM
What would be really interesting is if both Meeks and Patterson leave and Kentucky is led by two (Wall, Cousins) or three (add Henry) freshmen, intent on being one and done. Could make for a trainwreck of a season or a Final Four.

And, BTW, Meeks is a Top Five player in America if he returns. To say Henry is better is ridiculous. He may have talent, but the proof, as they say, is in the pudding and Meeks is a souffle.

Meeks top five??? No way.

Henry is better.

WVRed
04-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Dont know if reported on here or not but WHAS radio just said...Cousins has announced he is KY bound while Orton has asked out of his letter. Said he is still considering Ky.

If already posted...sorry.

Just seen it ..omit this post if you like.

Actually according to Orton's dad there has been no release or ask for one. I think Evan Daniels and Jody Demling jumped the gun on this one.

WVRed
04-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Meeks top five??? No way.

Henry is better.

Sorry, but if you held a gun to my head and told me to choose Meeks or Henry, I would take Meeks.

Henry is more pro-ready, but he doesn't have the experience of playing in college. If you need proof of what an experienced college team can do, go back and watch Monday night's championship game. UNC was superior because they had pivotal leaders at key points in the game.

FWIW, for everybody saying we would have senior leadership out the wazoo next season, if Patterson and Meeks leave and the major minutes go to Wall, Henry, and Cousins(assuming they all come, which wont happen), where is the senior leadership going to come from? Perry Stevenson? I realize Cal took Memphis to the championship game on the back of Derrick Rose, but for the most part, you need a senior clutch performer.

Meeks will be an All-American if he returns next season, it's just a matter of first or second team.

WMR
04-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Dribble drive offense? Xavier Henry all day. Easy. Meeks' handles are actually quite weak.

Scrap Irony
04-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I'll wager Henry never scores 24 a game either. Nor anywhere close, for that matter.

WMR
04-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I'll wager Henry never scores 24 a game either. Nor anywhere close, for that matter.

Pretty weak comparison considering the roster last season with what they'll have next year.

Scrap Irony
04-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Okay, how about this one: Henry will never be a 2nd All-American while at UK. Meeks, if you will recall, was one this past season.

WMR
04-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Okay, how about this one: Henry will never be a 2nd All-American while at UK. Meeks, if you will recall, was one this past season.

Well he'll most likely be a lottery pick after his first season. Meeks won't attain that prestige after four years.

WVRed
04-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Well he'll most likely be a lottery pick after his first season. Meeks won't attain that prestige after four years.

That really doesn't amount to much unless you are Carmelo Anthony.

I'd love to see the road to the NBA run through Lexington, but I'd also rather have a championship more.

dabvu2498
04-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Pretty weak comparison considering the roster last season with what they may have next year. Had to fix that for you. Because we may be hearing from you that Henry is lazy and plays no d and wouldn't fit in Cal's system if he signs with Kansas.

dabvu2498
04-08-2009, 10:26 PM
What would be really interesting is if both Meeks and Patterson leave and Kentucky is led by two (Wall, Cousins) or three (add Henry) freshmen, intent on being one and done. Could make for a trainwreck of a season or a Final Four. And, BTW, Meeks is a Top Five player in America if he returns. To say Henry is better is ridiculous. He may have talent, but the proof, as they say, is in the pudding and Meeks is a souffle. Well put. Give me "the known" any day. Henry may be a great player. I know Meeks is. And yes, given the folks we know are going pro, Meeks will be a first team preseason All American.

WMR
04-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Sounds like Nolan Dennis will be the next kid to commit to Kentucky under Coach Cal. #44 overall prospect in next year's class by ESPN... I *LOVE* this development. Nolan is an extremely talented kid who will be awesome at Kentucky, but he's also a kid who will likely stick around for AT LEAST 3 years. It's going to be important to get some of those supremely talented kids who will stick with the program for more than one season.

WMR
04-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Had to fix that for you. Because we may be hearing from you that Henry is lazy and plays no d and wouldn't fit in Cal's system if he signs with Kansas.

LOL. Hopson isn't on the same planet right now as Xavier.

WMR
04-09-2009, 01:34 PM
That really doesn't amount to much unless you are Carmelo Anthony.

I'd love to see the road to the NBA run through Lexington, but I'd also rather have a championship more.

Huh? We were debating Xavier vs. Meeks. He brought up AA and I brought up lottery pick.

dabvu2498
04-09-2009, 01:52 PM
LOL. Hopson isn't on the same planet right now as Xavier. This is why I hate talking about recruiting. You're talking in absolutisms about a kid who has never played in a college game. He will very likely be a good player. But have you heard of Herb Pope? Davon Jeffferson? Ousmane Cisse? Marcus Taylor? All former top 5 ranked recruits from the past ten years.

BRM
04-09-2009, 02:18 PM
This is why I hate talking about recruiting. You're talking in absolutisms about a kid who has never played in a college game. He will very likely be a good player. But have you heard of Herb Pope? Davon Jeffferson? Ousmane Cisse? Marcus Taylor? All former top 5 ranked recruits from the past ten years.

LeBron Henry is 100x better than all of them. It's an "absolute" truth.

dabvu2498
04-09-2009, 02:26 PM
LeBron Henry is 100x better than all of them. It's an "absolute" truth. Roger, Roger.

BRM
04-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Roger, Roger.

I hear they have already given him the Naismith Award for next season.

dabvu2498
04-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I hear they have already given him the Naismith Award for next season. Vegas has UK as a favorite to make the Final 4. Degenerate gamblers tell me Vegas is always right.

WVRed
04-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Sounds like Nolan Dennis will be the next kid to commit to Kentucky under Coach Cal. #44 overall prospect in next year's class by ESPN... I *LOVE* this development. Nolan is an extremely talented kid who will be awesome at Kentucky, but he's also a kid who will likely stick around for AT LEAST 3 years. It's going to be important to get some of those supremely talented kids who will stick with the program for more than one season.

Out of curiosity, who would you rather have if you could pick? John Wall for one year or Eric Bledsoe for three to four?

From what I have been reading on Bledsoe, he is a better defender than Wall and could develop into a Chris Paul type.

BRM
04-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Out of curiosity, who would you rather have if you could pick? John Wall for one year or Eric Bledsoe for three to four?

From what I have been reading on Bledsoe, he is a better defender than Wall and could develop into a Chris Paul type.

IU fans had these types of discussions last year with Gordon and Hummel. One year of Eric Gordon or 3-4 years of Robbie Hummel, which would you choose? Interesting debate for sure.

WMR
04-09-2009, 03:39 PM

Honestly, I don't know enough about Bledsoe to say.

However, if Meeks and Patterson both return along with Cousins, Dennis, and possibly Orton, I would want Wall. Wall could legitimately propel that squad into the Final Four next season.

WVRed
04-09-2009, 03:40 PM
IU fans had these types of discussions last year with Gordon and Hummel. One year of Eric Gordon or 3-4 years of Robbie Hummel, which would you choose? Interesting debate for sure.

This is what concerns me,

Let's say Wall spurns Kentucky and goes to Duke in order to stay close to home. He's in the ACC and it is unlikely Kentucky plays Duke unless its in the NCAA tournament.

Now lets say Wall goes to Kentucky. Bledsoe's top choices after UK are Alabama and Florida (Doubt UC factors much into the equation). We get Wall for one year, he departs, and we are likely facing Bledsoe as much as three times a year.

I'm sure you can see my point with Robbie Hummel.:) You just have to hope Cal can keep the revolving door continuing at PG, whether its Brandon Knight, Tony Wroten, Joe Jackson, or whoever.

BRM
04-09-2009, 03:44 PM

Let's say Wall spurns Kentucky and goes to Duke in order to stay close to home. He's in the ACC and it is unlikely Kentucky plays Duke unless its in the NCAA tournament.

Now lets say Wall goes to Kentucky. Bledsoe's top choices after UK are Alabama and Florida (Doubt UC factors much into the equation). We get Wall for one year, he departs, and we are likely facing Bledsoe as much as three times a year.

I'm sure you can see my point with Robbie Hummel.:) You just have to hope Cal can keep the revolving door continuing at PG, whether its Brandon Knight, Tony Wroten, Joe Jackson, or whoever.

There's the risk with one-and-done players. You better have another one coming in right afterwards to replace him.

WMR
04-09-2009, 03:44 PM

After doing some cursory research, I'm not worried about missing out on Bledsoe at all. First of all, he's six feet tall. Cal likes BIG guards.

Secondly, I'd take Nolan Dennis all day every day over Bledsoe. Dennis is MUCH taller (6'5") and is a combo guard who can do it all.

I would say that Bledsoe is a player that Cal looks at only as a back-up plan. He would also almost certainly recruit over him with a bigger guard who is just as--if not more--talented by his second year.

WMR
04-09-2009, 03:45 PM
There's the risk with one-and-done players. You better have another one coming in right afterwards to replace him.

That's the one thing you don't have to worry about with Cal.

As long as he's here, the recruit train will keep rolling and picking up steam.

BRM
04-09-2009, 03:46 PM

Yeah, I think I've heard that somewhere before. :rolleyes:

WMR
04-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I think I've heard that somewhere before. :rolleyes:

Past history is the greatest indicator of future results. :D

BRM
04-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Past history is the greatest indicator of future results. :D

So you expect to win zero National Championships under The Great One?

WVRed
04-09-2009, 03:50 PM
After doing some cursory research, I'm not worried about missing out on Bledsoe at all. First of all, he's six feet tall. Cal likes BIG guards.

Secondly, I'd take Nolan Dennis all day every day over Bledsoe. Dennis is MUCH taller (6'5") and is a combo guard who can do it all.

I would say that Bledsoe is a player that Cal looks at only as a back-up plan. He would also almost certainly recruit over him with a bigger guard who is just as--if not more--talented by his second year.

The only problem is that from everything I have read, Dennis is more of a SG/SF rather than a SG/PG. He would do a lot better on the wing. Kinda reminds me of Antonio Anderson in a way.

WMR
04-09-2009, 03:50 PM
So you expect to win zero National Championships under The Great One?

Yep. Exactly.

WMR
04-09-2009, 03:51 PM
The only problem is that from everything I have read, Dennis is more of a SG/SF rather than a SG/PG. He would do a lot better on the wing. Kinda reminds me of Antonio Anderson in a way.

MM and others who have seen him play have said that he can easily be a lead guard/PG if that's what is needed.

dabvu2498
04-09-2009, 03:59 PM
MM and others who have seen him play have said that he can easily be a lead guard/PG if that's what is needed. Who? Konner Tucker?

WVRed
04-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Who? Konner Tucker?

Nolan Dennis.

BRM
04-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Is Maggard a scout?

dabvu2498
04-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Nolan Dennis. I know. Just giving wmr some static. Though think how far we have come from faking excitement about Tucker. At least now we can be excited about dudes people have heard of.

BRM
04-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I know. Just giving wmr some static. Though think how far we have come from faking excitement about Tucker. At least now we can be excited about dudes people have heard of.

There was no "faking" of excitement for Tucker...or Harrellson for that matter.

TeamSelig
04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
As for the Wall/Bledsoe question, I take the better player 10 times out of 10. Maybe he goes to the NBA, who really cares? Nothing is written in stone. Like WMR said, hopefully the recruiting chain is never ending. Maybe Bledsoe tears it up and leaves after 2 years. Too many variables to choose a lesser player IMO. Plus, being able to say you have produced Player X Y and Z who all were drafted top 5 is another recruiting tool.

improbus
04-09-2009, 05:30 PM

Maybe. The danger is that you go into Ohio State's current pattern. They pretty much expected Oden to leave, but Conley surprised them and they still haven't been able to replace him. You are going to have major holes on your team which you won't always be able to replace year in and year out.

The key to becoming Carolina is getting the those top recruits AND convincing them to play more than one year.

WVRed
04-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Maybe. The danger is that you go into Ohio State's current pattern. They pretty much expected Oden to leave, but Conley surprised them and they still haven't been able to replace him. You are going to have major holes on your team which you won't always be able to replace year in and year out.

The key to becoming Carolina is getting the those top recruits AND convincing them to play more than one year.

I wonder if "Ole Roy" is still paying out the bonus rewards?;)

WMR
04-09-2009, 05:35 PM

The thing is, Kentucky's not Ohio State and Calipari's not Matta.

By the same token, Kentucky's not Memphis (in a good way).

As long as Cal does what he has always done--but now with the power of KENTUCKY basketball behind him--we're going to be more than fine.

"Becoming Carolina?" I just puked. We are KENTUCKY.

improbus
04-09-2009, 05:56 PM

As long as Cal does what he has always done--but now with the power of KENTUCKY basketball behind him--we're going to be more than fine.

Yeah, but if you look at some of the recent title winners, they are almost all teams that convinced their guys to come back instead of jumping to the NBA. They were not necessarily Freshmen dominated (aside from Syracuse). Florida won it then they all came back. Carolina had 2 or 3 guys who could have left. The same goes for Kansas and UCONN in '04. So, not only does Cal need to get the guys, but he needs some of them to stay.

WMR
04-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Yeah, but if you look at some of the recent title winners, they are almost all teams that convinced their guys to come back instead of jumping to the NBA. They were not necessarily Freshmen dominated (aside from Syracuse). Florida won it then they all came back. Carolina had 2 or 3 guys who could have left. The same goes for Kansas and UCONN in '04. So, not only does Cal need to get the guys, but he needs some of them to stay.

No doubt. Which is why a guy like Nolan Dennis is so valuable. If a kid is going to be a lottery pick, however, in my opinion he should go.

That will only enhance Kentucky and Cal's reputation with the cream of the cream of the crop type kids. It's all about showing kids that you can put them into the NBA and, as Cal said, "helping them realize their dreams."

dabvu2498
04-09-2009, 08:07 PM
No doubt. Which is why a guy like Nolan Dennis is so valuable. If a kid is going to be a lottery pick, however, in my opinion he should go. That will only enhance Kentucky and Cal's reputation with the cream of the cream of the crop type kids. It's all about showing kids that you can put them into the NBA and, as Cal said, "helping them realize their dreams." But the National Champs of the last few years have had kids who dreamed of both going to the league and winning a title in college. Being an NBDL franchise is nice. Being the last team standing is better. As you said, history is a great indicator of the future.

Puffy
04-09-2009, 08:12 PM

Hey then, we are almost even cause I've puked about six times in this thread from your nonsense :thumbup:

Puffy
04-09-2009, 08:13 PM
I wonder if "Ole Roy" is still paying out the bonus rewards?;)

I don't know - have any of "Ole Roy's" banners been taken down? Cause I'm pretty sure a banner has been taken down at UMass.....

WMR
04-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Hey then, we are almost even cause I've puked about six times in this thread from your nonsense :thumbup:

Keep carrying that cross, Puffy. :laugh:

TeamSelig
04-09-2009, 09:31 PM
I don't know - have any of "Ole Roy's" banners been taken down? Cause I'm pretty sure a banner has been taken down at UMass.....

Cool. This is the UK thread though, not UMass. As I recall, our boy Cal had nothing to do with that. :)

WVRed
04-09-2009, 09:55 PM

He never won one at Kansas.:)

And to add to that, John Calipari has ZERO NCAA infractions.

WVRed
04-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Former UK great and spearhead to get Gillispie removed Mike Casey has been taken off life support by his family.:(

Thoughts and prayers are with his family.

guttle11
04-09-2009, 10:04 PM

And I've never sped according to the government. Come on, a booster doesn't pay a player without the coach knowing. I'm not saying Calipari is a cheater or or will ever have this happen again, but it's pretty ridiculous to say something like that. Plausible denibility isn't going to fly.

WVRed
04-09-2009, 10:17 PM

Just so you know I am not making stuff up:

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/jul/16/ku_reveals_ncaa_violations/?mens_basketball

Kansas University officials on Friday made public detailed reports of various violations of NCAA rules uncovered during a two-year internal investigation.

The most serious infractions found and reported to the NCAA apparently were in the men's football and women's basketball programs. But rules also were found to have been breached in the men's basketball program, mainly because of gifts of cash and clothing from team supporters to graduating or no-longer-eligible players.

Advertisement
The reports will prompt the first NCAA investigation of KU athletics since 1988.

Football coach Mark Mangino and his assistant Clint Bowen were admonished by the university, and the football and women's basketball programs will lose scholarships as part of KU's self-imposed sanctions.

"We set very high standards at KU," Chancellor Robert Hemenway said during a media session at the Parrott Complex, "and we are very disappointed we fell short of those high standards."

Hemenway has placed the athletic department on two years of probation and approved the suggested penalties.

KU told the NCAA it will cut football scholarships from 25 to 24 over the next two seasons, as well as limit junior college recruitment. Most of the football violations involved improper monitoring of correspondence work and illegal transportation of student-athletes during the summer of 2003.

Kansas University Athletic Director Lew Perkins is surrounded by members of the media after a news conference announcing several NCAA rules violations by the program.
"I did not know these violations were occurring at the time," Mangino said in a prepared statement, "but as the head coach I am aware that ultimately I am responsible for the actions of my staff."

Women's basketball grants were cut from 15 to 13 for the 2005-06 season. Most of the violations in that sport happened during the summer of 2002 and involved assistant coach Tim Eatman who is now an aide at Louisville. Then women's coach Marian Washington resigned during the course of the internal investigation, according to the university reports.

Men's basketball fell afoul of the rules mostly because of gifts to graduated players from donors Dana Anderson, Joan Edwards and Bernie Morgan. According to the report, the gifts of cash and clothing, totaling a few hundred dollars per player per season, were presented by those three team supporters after the 2000-01, 2001-02 and 2002-03 seasons to players who had graduated or exhausted their eligibility.

Roy Williams, KU's coach at the time, was unaware that the gifts violated NCAA rules, KU Athletic Director Lew Perkins said.

According to the report, Williams said "there were at least two occasions when I was asked by an alum if they could send a gift to one of the youngsters who have graduated in appreciation for what they've done."

Williams said his response to those requests were, "I don't want this to be any humongous check or anything like that if it's truly just a gift for graduation; every graduating senior gets graduation gifts."

According to the report, Williams indicated he thought the gifts were OK because the athletes' eligibility was already completed.

KU officials said those who gave gifts to the athletes thought doing so was within the rules.

"Let me make it clear the donors did nothing wrong," Perkins said. "These people called the (KU) basketball office and were told it was OK."

No sanctions were imposed against men's basketball.

Rick Evrard, an attorney for the Overland Park law firm that conducted the two-year investigation, said he considered the donor violations secondary because KU "gained no recruiting advantage from them."

Perkins hired Evrard's firm after he was told by interim Athletic Director Drue Jennings on Perkins' first day on the job in June 2003 of possible violations. Jennings was filling in for Al Bohl, who was fired by Hemenway in April of that year.

"We have nothing to hide," Perkins said. "If we discover any additional information, we will investigate fully and follow the same procedures."

The NCAA, in a letter dated July 1, informed Perkins it was reviewing the report and conducting follow-up interviews. Hemenway said he was told the NCAA enforcement staff intended to complete this process by the fall.

"Over the past 24 months," Hemenway said, "we have engaged in a thorough process that I am confident has put us on the right track so that we can consistently meet our high standards now and in the future."

Perkins noted that self-reporting violations is required of NCAA member schools.

"We actively followed up on every piece of information," he said. "We discovered errors and we self-reported them as we are expected to do as members of the NCAA. We wish we did not have to go through this process, but we believe in the process and, in the end, it will make us better."

It better, Hemenway said, because the chancellor stressed he doesn't plan to attend any more media sessions announcing athletic department irregularities.

"This will not happen again," Hemenway said. "Let me emphasize : This will NOT happen again."

BRM
04-09-2009, 10:20 PM

C'mon Puffy. You know St. Calipari had nothing to do with that...

Blimpie
04-10-2009, 07:24 AM
I know you intended that to be sarcasm; however, as recently as two weeks ago, the NCAA reported that Calipari has zero dings on his record for his entire coaching career.

Sandy Bell (head of UK athletic compliance) is one of the most thorough individuals you will ever meet. When Calipari was mentioned for the UK job, she lobbied HARD against him to Dr. Todd, Mitch Barnhart and the Board. I am told that a great divide was created within the AD based upon the strength of emotions coming from Bell.

The moral to the story is that Bell (working in direct conjunction with the NCAA) could not dig up a single infraction against Calipari....Nada. By the end of the weekend, Bell knew she had performed her due dilligence and was happy to endorse Calipari as coach.

IIRC, even Pitino has something like six career infractions and sounds like Roy Williams better be on his best behavior. Marcus Camby's problem originated from an seedy agent who lurked around the UMass campus. It sounds like Roy Williams is gonna catch heat that was delivered courtesy of Kansas boosters.

There is a huge difference there, my friend.

BRM
04-10-2009, 09:29 AM
And I've never sped according to the government. Come on, a booster doesn't pay a player without the coach knowing. I'm not saying Calipari is a cheater or or will ever have this happen again, but it's pretty ridiculous to say something like that. Plausible denibility isn't going to fly.

I missed this last night. Good post, I agree.

improbus
04-10-2009, 09:38 AM

And you could say that about almost every high level NCAA coach. There is no way that they can know everything that their student-athletes do. JoePa had the same problem w/ Curtis Enis that Cal did w/ Camby. No one sees JoePa as a crook.

BRM
04-10-2009, 09:41 AM
And you could say that about almost every high level NCAA coach. There is no way that they can know everything that their student-athletes do. JoePa had the same problem w/ Curtis Enis that Cal did w/ Camby. No one sees JoePa as a crook.

JoePa isn't tight with Worldwide Wes. It's that connection that gives the appearance of shadiness on Cal's part, whether it's deserved or not.

WVRed
04-10-2009, 09:44 AM
I know you intended that to be sarcasm; however, as recently as two weeks ago, the NCAA reported that Calipari has zero dings on his record for his entire coaching career.

Sandy Bell (head of UK athletic compliance) is one of the most thorough individuals you will ever meet. When Calipari was mentioned for the UK job, she lobbied HARD against him to Dr. Todd, Mitch Barnhart and the Board. I am told that a great divide was created within the AD based upon the strength of emotions coming from Bell.

The moral to the story is that Bell (working in direct conjunction with the NCAA) could not dig up a single infraction against Calipari....Nada. By the end of the weekend, Bell knew she had performed her due dilligence and was happy to endorse Calipari as coach.

IIRC, even Pitino has something like six career infractions and sounds like Roy Williams better be on his best behavior. Marcus Camby's problem originated from an seedy agent who lurked around the UMass campus. It sounds like Roy Williams is gonna catch heat that was delivered courtesy of Kansas boosters.

There is a huge difference there, my friend.

Eight, actually, on Pitino. Came from his time in Hawaii as an assistant coach during the 70's.

The story was from four years ago, btw.

dabvu2498
04-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Certainly there is a "lack of institutional control" in most NCAA programs. But few are the instances where programs have been forced to give back games won. We Kentucky fans should know that as well as anyone. I really don't remember - what blame did the NCAA lay at Sutton's feet for that mess?

WVRed
04-10-2009, 11:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YszBtyv8WCo&feature=player_embedded

Video sent to John Wall's facebook, "Nashville and HotDog". Only in Kentucky...

Puffy
04-10-2009, 12:18 PM

Oh, I missed where Cal won at UMass? When exactly was that?

And just so I have this straight - Roy is to blame for the probe at Kansas which was 4 years ago and amouted to zero infractions. However, Cal is not to blame for the Camby thing , which did lead to the FF banner being taken down? So two instances where the coach did nothing wrong, yet Roy is to blame and Cal is not. Got it.

coachw513
04-10-2009, 12:48 PM

16 of the 20 starters in the Final 4 were juniors or seniors this year...I was stunned by that when Nantz and Kellogg mentioned it...the worm may be indeed turning back to teams needing upperclassmen to win the whole thing...

With some Roy Williams references, I had to mention a funny story...I buy a book 6 weeks ago about a high school basketball player who is going through the recruiting process as a senior from a very nice retired gentlemen (the author) who was signing at a Books-A-Million...we start a conversation and he gives me some of his background and we talk...I start reading the book...kindof folksy and clearly drawing from his appreciation of family and his past...

But I begin to notice the author taking some thinly-veiled shots at the Kansas coach during the story...until 1 day it hits me...googled it up and yes, the same Allen Bohl, AD at Kansas who lost the power struggle with Roy and was fired is the author of this book...guess the shots weren't so thinly-veiled after all...he admitted as much to me in some email conversations...they are not on each other's Christmas card list...needless to say, the player ends up signing at another school...

Good thread by the way...as a loyal Gator hoops guy (now assuming the "duck and avoid flying objects" position), I will make this a regular pit-stop on my online reading...

WVRed
04-10-2009, 01:25 PM

And just so I have this straight - Roy is to blame for the probe at Kansas which was 4 years ago and amouted to zero infractions. However, Cal is not to blame for the Camby thing , which did lead to the FF banner being taken down? So two instances where the coach did nothing wrong, yet Roy is to blame and Cal is not. Got it.

My point was that Roy never won an NCAA championship at Kansas, so there was no need to take it down.

Blimpie summed up Calipari's track record pretty well, IMO.

TeamSelig
04-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Caliparty is not a dirty recruiter, and convincing us anything different is not going to happen. Jealously has ran wild across the NCAA and we haven't even played one game with Cali yet. :)

dabvu2498
04-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Caliparty is not a dirty recruiter, and convincing us anything different is not going to happen. Jealously has ran wild across the NCAA and we haven't even played one game with Cali yet. :) Arrogance has also run wild across the UK fanbase before Cal has coached a game in Lexington.

WMR
04-10-2009, 02:32 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9437048/Preseason-forecast:-College-hoops-top-25

TeamSelig
04-10-2009, 02:34 PM
1% of UK fans make the other 99% look bad. There are always idiot fans for every sports team. No one here has been arrogant, just a little optimistic since our program has sucked the past few years. But, that doesn't stop people from trolling here. I mean, could you imagine Indians fans coming to the main board blasting us anytime we predicted a playoff birth for the Reds?

Anyways... check out this weirdo that our little brother recruited......

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/uploaded_images/IMG_0506-706546.jpg

dabvu2498
04-10-2009, 02:43 PM
I agree that optimism and excitement are good. Very good. But there certainly has been enough arrogance to make me want to turn my head a bit.

WVRed
04-10-2009, 02:53 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/uploaded_images/IMG_0506-706546.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/i/magazine/new/blog_walsh.jpg

Someone else for UK fans to hate on.:)

WVRed
04-10-2009, 02:54 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9437048/Preseason-forecast:-College-hoops-top-25

If you like that one you'll LOVE this one.:)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=snsearlytopcollegehoopst&prov=tsn&type=lgns

WMR
04-10-2009, 03:21 PM
1% of UK fans make the other 99% look bad. There are always idiot fans for every sports team. No one here has been arrogant, just a little optimistic since our program has sucked the past few years. But, that doesn't stop people from trolling here. I mean, could you imagine Indians fans coming to the main board blasting us anytime we predicted a playoff birth for the Reds?

Anyways... check out this weirdo that our little brother recruited......

LOL. Nice clown tattoo. Is he Devendork's little brother or something?

Blimpie
04-10-2009, 04:30 PM

And just so I have this straight - Roy is to blame for the probe at Kansas which was 4 years ago and amouted to zero infractions. However, Cal is not to blame for the Camby thing , which did lead to the FF banner being taken down? So two instances where the coach did nothing wrong, yet Roy is to blame and Cal is not. Got it.Puffy: If you are referring to my post, I had not intended to imply that things were quite that black & white. My main point is that critics of any coach are always implying that said coach "should" have known XYZ about an infraction that happened on "their watch." Obviously, there are relationships that exist which would mandate that coaches have more responsibility than others.

Because athletics boosters are integral both to the recruitment process and to the ultimate success of any program, by default, a head coach will have to learn to embrace their presence. In fact, coaches (and their ADs) should proactively communicate with boosters so that things never reach any level of misdeeds. A coach should never be blind-sided when it comes to booster improprieties. Furthermore, they should never claim to be "unaware" that something a booster did within their program was a violation (see: Williams, Roy).

Agents, on the other hand, serve absolutely no purpose within the collegiate ranks. All that coaches (and ADs) can do is educate the players about the pitfalls of becoming involved with them. If a player develops a relationship with an agent--and it can be proven that the relationship was not facilitated by the university--the coach cannot be held responsible.

To me, it is kinda like providing the players with drug/alcohol education--but then expecting the coach to patrol the frat parties in order to ensure that they are all making good decisions and being model student-athletes.

improbus
04-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Puffy: If you are referring to my post, I had not intended to imply that things were quite that black & white. My main point is that critics of any coach are always implying that said coach "should" have known XYZ about an infraction that happened on "their watch." Obviously, there are relationships that exist which would mandate that coaches have more responsibility than others.

Because athletics boosters are integral both to the recruitment process and to the ultimate success of any program, by default, a head coach will have to learn to embrace their presence. In fact, coaches (and their ADs) should proactively communicate with boosters so that things never reach any level of misdeeds. A coach should never be blind-sided when it comes to booster improprieties. Furthermore, they should never claim to be "unaware" that something a booster did within their program was a violation (see: Williams, Roy).

Agents, on the other hand, serve absolutely no purpose within the collegiate ranks. All that coaches (and ADs) can do is educate the players about the pitfalls of becoming involved with them. If a player develops a relationship with an agent--and it can be proven that the relationship was not facilitated by the university--the coach cannot be held responsible.

To me, it is kinda like providing the players with drug/alcohol education--but then expecting the coach to patrol the frat parties in order to esnure that they are all making being model student-athletes.
Very well put. It all depends on the circumstances. I really doubt that Pete Carroll didn't have any idea that Reggie Bush was getting a house, car, and thousands in spending cash.

dabvu2498
04-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Very well put. It all depends on the circumstances. I really doubt that Pete Carroll didn't have any idea that Reggie Bush was getting a house, car, and thousands in spending cash. Camby got $28k from 2 agents, presumably in a year, since that is all the NCAA stripped from them.

Puffy
04-10-2009, 05:35 PM
My point was that Roy never won an NCAA championship at Kansas, so there was no need to take it down.

Blimpie summed up Calipari's track record pretty well, IMO.

Right - the banner taken down from UMass was a final four banner. You're post was implying that no banner could be taken down cause Roy didn't win anything. Well, Coach Cal hasn't won anything either.

And Team Selig - I don't need to convince you that Cal is a dirty recruiter. Because he is not, to my knowledge. I love Coach Cal. Thought he was great at UMass, got the short end of the stick with the Nets, and remade Memphis into a power. If Roy wasn't at UNC I would love to have Cal there (and I would have never said that about Billy Clyde). But people on this thread keep bring up UNC and Roy - not me.

TeamSelig
04-10-2009, 06:52 PM
You didn't bring up UMass?

Puffy
04-10-2009, 07:48 PM
ummmm, yes. After WVRed brought up Roy Williams encouraging boosters to pay off kids.

But I get it - you won't call out WVRed for bringing it up, only me because I responded.

TeamSelig
04-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Maybe I only call out UNC fans ;)

WVRed
04-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Ok, enough UNC bashing, now lets turn our attention to Huggs Thugs.:)

http://wvgazette.com/Sports/WVU/200904091065

West Virginia officials have been approached about playing host to West Coast Conference power Gonzaga next basketball season as a part of ESPN's College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon.

Mountaineer coach Bob Huggins Thursday confirmed the interest. If played, WVU could appear on national television seven times next season before play in the Big East conference - featuring its massive TV deal - begins.

The Tip-Off Marathon featured 23 consecutive hours of college basketball-themed programming on ESPN last season and included nine games played in five U.S. time zones. Huggins said his team's game might begin at midnight in Morgantown.

Gonzaga won 28 games this past season before falling 98-77 to eventual champion North Carolina in the NCAA tournament.

The Bulldogs won their ninth straight West Coast Conference title, going unbeaten in league play for the third time in school history. They won the WCC tournament for the ninth time in the last 11 years.

Gonzaga also advanced to its 11th consecutive NCAA tournament and made the Sweet Sixteen for the fifth time during that span.

Five seniors, however, leave GU's program, including leading scorer Josh Heytvelt and guard Jeremy Pargo, who led the team in assists.

West Virginia, returning a strong core from its NCAA team, has already been projected to start the season as a top-10 team.

The Mountaineers already have home games with Ohio State and Mississippi in place after visiting both schools last season.

Huggins has also confirmed negotiations between his school and Florida, and he's said he'll call close friend John Calipari about possibly scheduling Kentucky.

Meanwhile, WVU has already signed on to play in the 76 Classic over the Thanksgiving weekend at the Anaheim (Calif.) Convention Center. The Classic is a 12-game bracketed tournament in which the Mountaineers could start against another West Coast team in Portland, Ore.

The other teams involved in that are UCLA, Texas A&M, Long Beach State, Clemson, Butler and Minnesota.

If the deal is sealed with Gonzaga, Huggins said WVU would play in Spokane, Wash., the following season.

Reach Mitch Vingle at 304-348-4827, mitchvin...@wvgazette.com

Revering4Blue
04-11-2009, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE][/QUOTE

Raleigh Word of God point guard John Wall said Thursday morning that North Carolina was not recruiting him and that there had been no changes in the list of schools he is considering. But North Carolina is showing increased interest in Wall, who is 6-foot-4 and one of the nation's top senior high school basketball players. Eddie Gray, who coached Wall for two years at Garner High, said he talked to North Carolina's staff this week about Wall's background. North Carolina coach Roy Williams called Wall from the Final Four in Detroit last week. But Wall said Thursday that he had not talked to Williams since that call. Wall said he expects to talk to Williams again, but he doesn't know of any timetable. "North Carolina is not recruiting me now," he said. Asked if he would be interested in North Carolina if the Tar Heels recruited him, Wall said, ?"hat's something I would have to look into." Wall said N.C. State, Duke, Memphis, Baylor, Kansas, Miami and Kentucky are on his list of possible schools.

Charlotte Observer
]

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/98792

WMR
04-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Konner Tucker is now headed to Wake Forest. Not bad for a kid who can't play.

dabvu2498
04-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Konner Tucker is now headed to Wake Forest. Not bad for a kid who can't play. Not that he cant play, just that he shouldn't be playing at Kentucky. The Wake side of things is talking about him as a shooter off the bench. That is a ways from being the starting pg at Kentucky. Some Wake folks also think Dino has forgotten he is at Wake Forest and is back at Loyola.

WVRed
04-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Some pretty interesting stories on this blog:

http://michaeleaves.blogspot.com/

Blimpie
04-12-2009, 07:34 PM
I read Eaves quite a bit, as well. Prior to the Gillispie firing, Eaves was floating some very interesting rumors about the UK job...

They never quite panned out, but they were pretty intriguing at the time.

HBP
04-13-2009, 10:29 AM
So apparently Orton didn't take the UK flag when offered to him by Hood this weekend. Watched the team USA game the other night and Cousins didn't overly impress me. Wall and Henry on the other hand looked great.

WMR
04-13-2009, 12:12 PM
One all-star game means less than nothing.

WVRed
04-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Should mention according to ZagsBlog that Bill Self was recruiting Lance Stephenson over the weekend. I kinda have to think that he is looking at Stephenson as a backup option if the Henry brothers come to Kentucky.

I'm actually becoming more and more optimistic that Xavier Henry could be coming to Lexington.

WMR
04-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Me too.

Wall
Meeks
Henry
Cousins
Patterson

6th men: Pilgrim and Miller
Liggins

W o w.

WVRed
04-13-2009, 12:24 PM
We should know more by this weekend. The Henry's are coming to Lexington for a visit then and Wall is playing in the Jordan Classic I believe. Wouldn't surprise me if both players commit somewhere by then.

dabvu2498
04-13-2009, 12:36 PM
What about Orton and Dennis?

BRM
04-13-2009, 01:03 PM
What about Orton and Dennis?

I thought Dennis to UK was already a done deal? Or was your question related to something else?

dabvu2498
04-13-2009, 01:27 PM
I thought Dennis to UK was already a done deal? Or was your question related to something else? It sounded like a sure thing, but so have alot of things lately.

BRM
04-13-2009, 01:31 PM
It sounded like a sure thing, but so have alot of things lately.

I understand. Sounds like Wall and Henry are near sure-things right now too but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were a UK fan.

WMR
04-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Nothing is a sure thing when it comes to recruiting. I figure you two would have learned that by now.

BRM
04-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Nothing is a sure thing when it comes to recruiting. I figure you two would have learned that by now.

I have. That was the jist of my comment. I don't believe much of anything until they hold a press conference with a formal announcement. Even then it doesn't mean much until they suit up for practice in the fall.