PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler finally traded!

Handofdeath
04-02-2009, 05:47 PM
New home Chicago: Broncos ship disgruntled QB Cutler to Bears
NFL.com Wire Reports

The Denver Broncos have agreed to trade disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears.

Jay Cutler, QB
Denver Broncos

2008 Statistics
Passer Rating: 86.0
Passing Yards: 4,526
TDs/INTs: 25/18
The Broncos announced the deal Thursday and said terms would be disclosed later.

NFL.com's Steve Wyche reports that the Broncos will receive first-round draft picks this year and in 2010, a third-round pick (84th overall) this year and quarterback Kyle Orton in exchange for Cutler and a 2009 fifth-round selection.

The Broncos were trading Cutler on his terms, and there was no shortage of teams lining up to take a crack at acquiring the 25-year-old Pro Bowl passer.

Cutler had asked for a trade last month after his relationship with new coach Josh McDaniels soured. Their relationship began to disintegrate when McDaniels broached a potential trade of Cutler for Matt Cassel earlier this offseason

Denver now has 2 1st round picks, a #2, and 2 #3's this year not to mention 2 #1's next year. None of the QB's Denver has, including Orton, is capable of leading the team to the playoffs.
I have to believe Denver is wanting to trade up to get Mark Sanchez or Josh Freeman.

dabvu2498
04-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Chicago = Vanderbilt North

redsfandan
04-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Nice move for Denver.

Mario-Rijo
04-02-2009, 06:33 PM
When I was looking at possible teams the Bears stood out to me as a team that most needed Cutler. That strong arm in the windy city is a must. Great deal for the Bears. And as much as it might hurt the Broncos I like Bowlen's resolve on the issue.

Newport Red
04-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Are they going to need to treat him with kid gloves. He seems thin skinned.

Roy Tucker
04-02-2009, 08:14 PM
From everything I've read, he's been kind of an idiot about the whole thing.

Eric_the_Red
04-03-2009, 12:10 AM
So in a few months the Broncos had gotten rid of Shanahan and now Cutler.

Hmm, maybe there is a reason to root for them now.

chicoruiz
04-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Anyone think the Broncos would be happy going into the season with Orton as their #1 QB? Me neither. I wonder if they're looking at the K-State QB with their #1, or whether they'd be interested in moving up to the Bengals pick to get Sanchez (or even Stafford if he slips). I'd take both thier #1s for the pick and go either:

#1- Oher
#1a- Moreno, Wells or Brown
#2- Unger

or

#1 Oher
#1a- Mack
#2- Brown, McCoy or ??

sonny
04-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Finally! Now radio hosts can get back to talking about T.O. and Manny. :)

bucksfan2
04-03-2009, 10:03 AM
There just is something about the Bill Belichick coaching chain and relationships. Belichick is a jerk, but a winning jerk. Weiss has alienated many people during his tenure at ND. Mangini had a bumpy ride with Farve and NYJ in general. He started off alienating people right away in Cleveland. Now McDaniels goes to Denver and pisses off a Pro Bowl QB within in weeks.

Im not saying who is right or wrong but it seems like that coaching tree needs a lesson in personal relationships.

Blimpie
04-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Wow...Chicago gave up a TON to get QB who now really has no big-name WR targets.

Chip R
04-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Our long, national nightmare is over.

Emin3mShady07
04-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Wow...Chicago gave up a TON to get QB who now really has no big-name WR targets.

Yeah, this is my biggest concern. Cutler is good, but its hard to be good throwing to the likes of Rashied Davis and god knows what.

Mario-Rijo
04-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Anyone think the Broncos would be happy going into the season with Orton as their #1 QB? Me neither. I wonder if they're looking at the K-State QB with their #1, or whether they'd be interested in moving up to the Bengals pick to get Sanchez (or even Stafford if he slips). I'd take both thier #1s for the pick and go either:

#1- Oher
#1a- Moreno, Wells or Brown
#2- Unger

or

#1 Oher
#1a- Mack
#2- Brown, McCoy or ??

Actually I believe Orton will be backing up Chris Simms, I think they signed him recently. Simms might be a good fit for a Pats style offense.

AmarilloRed
04-04-2009, 01:31 AM
A expensive price to get the #1 quarterback Chicago has needed for some time. I have to think the Bears #1 picks the next 2 years would be in the middle of the first round, long after the blue chip prospects are gone. Bears management must have thought Cutler was worth the risk.

redsfandan
04-04-2009, 02:49 AM
Actually I believe Orton will be backing up Chris Simms, I think they signed him recently. Simms might be a good fit for a Pats style offense.
Simms was signed a month ago to a two year deal worth $6 million while Orton is under contract for '09 only and for only $995,000. It will be interesting to see which of the two ends up as the starter but I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up another qb to be the long term answer.

Denver will now have 11 picks this year (five picks in the top 84) with two picks in the 1st round (12th & 18th picks), 3rd round, 5th round, and 7th round. For a coach that wants to remake his new team McDaniels does have some pieces to work with.

Mario-Rijo
04-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Simms was signed a month ago to a two year deal worth $6 million while Orton is under contract for '09 only and for only $995,000. It will be interesting to see which of the two ends up as the starter but I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up another qb to be the long term answer.

Denver will now have 11 picks this year (five picks in the top 84) with two picks in the 1st round (12th & 18th picks), 3rd round, 5th round, and 7th round. For a coach that wants to remake his new team McDaniels does have some pieces to work with.

I can't imagine they would even think Orton's the answer, but stranger things have happened (Dilfer - Super Bowl).

Yes Denver definitely has some nice power here. They now have the means to make a trade up in the 1st if they so choose to get whomever they wish. I would have to think a guy like Sanchez makes a lot of sense for an offense like that. My guess is we will start hearing "unknown sources" who state some team absolutely loves Sanchez up around 8-10 area. Which the Bengals are sitting pretty for because Denver isn't likely to trade up with Oakland for more than one reason, and all it would take to get to #6 from #12 is their 2nd rounder according to the value board. And #12 is a much better situation for the Bengals.

redsfandan
04-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Yes Denver definitely has some nice power here. They now have the means to make a trade up in the 1st if they so choose to get whomever they wish. I would have to think a guy like Sanchez makes a lot of sense for an offense like that. My guess is we will start hearing "unknown sources" who state some team absolutely loves Sanchez up around 8-10 area. Which the Bengals are sitting pretty for because Denver isn't likely to trade up with Oakland for more than one reason, and all it would take to get to #6 from #12 is their 2nd rounder according to the value board. And #12 is a much better situation for the Bengals.
That would be the kind of move I'd like but you know the bungals. :rolleyes:

jmac
04-04-2009, 11:15 AM
I have been a Bronco fan for a long time and losing Cutler irked me in particular because the defense was the major problem last season IMO.
That being said, I would hope they target a guy like Sanchez now that they have the QB situation.

RedsManRick
04-04-2009, 01:13 PM
People here in Chicago are pumped. It's been forever since they've had a decent QB. Now if they can just find some receivers...

Eric_the_Red
04-04-2009, 03:34 PM
People here in Chicago are pumped. It's been forever since they've had a decent QB. Now if they can just some receivers...

Ochocinco for a 2nd rd pick.

Handofdeath
04-04-2009, 05:18 PM
People here in Chicago are pumped. It's been forever since they've had a decent QB. Now if they can just find some receivers...

Word is they are bringing in OU WR Juaquin Iglesias for a visit. If that's who Chicago drafts at #49, Bears fans should be stoked. The dude can flat out play.

RedsManRick
04-04-2009, 11:47 PM
A expensive price to get the #1 quarterback Chicago has needed for some time. I have to think the Bears #1 picks the next 2 years would be in the middle of the first round, long after the blue chip prospects are gone. Bears management must have thought Cutler was worth the risk.

The NFL has a point system to value picks, and I've heard the package the Bears offered at comparable to a #3 overall pick, plus Orton. You have to consider, if you had the #3 overall pick and Kyle Orton, would you trade them for one of the 5 or 6 most talent QBs in the game -- somebody who has already proven themselves professionally?

I don't think it's nearly the price some have made it out to be.

Jack Burton
04-04-2009, 11:49 PM
"Jay Cutler, before next fall you're in need of a serious attitude adjustment young man. You better get your priorities straight. And watch out for that other crowd you're running with. Don't think I haven't noticed."

AmarilloRed
04-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Here's a pretty good analysis on what the Bears gave up to land Cutler:

If you look at the chart that assigns numerical values to every pick (and the one that’s used by NFL teams in making trades), the No. 1 choice is worth a whopping 3,000 points. The picks the Bears surrendered in the first round (18th overall) and third round (84th) are worth only 900 and 170 points, respectively. And assuming the Bears are at least slightly better this season than they were last year, next year’s first-round pick will be somewhere in the 20s. Plus I’d much rather have a proven commodity who still has upside and can get better like Cutler than rely on unknowns in the draft. The money under the salary cap the Bears will save by not paying two first-round picks is also a huge positive moving forward.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ChalkTalkStory.asp?story_id=5711

That was really the point I think I was trying to make. It's never good if you trade 2 first round picks, but the value of the picks they were surrendering was a lot lower at 18 and one next year in the high 20's, then it would be if they had 2 picks in the top 5. I think the Bears made a very good trade.FWIW, does anyone know a place you can get one of those charts that assigns numerical values to draft picks?

Eric_the_Red
04-06-2009, 09:04 AM
FWIW, does anyone know a place you can get one of those charts that assigns numerical values to draft picks?

Here you go: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670

redsfandan
11-16-2009, 06:28 PM
I wonder how Chicago feels about Cutler now.

bucksfan2
11-17-2009, 09:41 AM
I wonder how Chicago feels about Cutler now.

Cutler reminds me of a .500 QB at best. He will make some great throws, but will also make some awful throws. He is a poor Brett Favre to me. Right now he sure isn't worth what Chicago paid to get him.

Sea Ray
11-17-2009, 09:49 AM
I never understood what Cutler did to be labeled a franchise QB to begin with. He looks great in a workout. He's the modern day Jeff George

Roy Tucker
11-17-2009, 10:17 AM
I never understood what Cutler did to be labeled a franchise QB to begin with. He looks great in a workout. He's the modern day Jeff George

Jeff George is a great analogy. Million dollar arm and a ten cent brain.

Sea Ray
11-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Jeff George is a great analogy. Million dollar arm and a ten cent brain.

Put another way, he had a great arm but seldom could identify the open receiver to throw to. That's not a recipe for success in the NFL.

Revering4Blue
11-17-2009, 09:06 PM
A couple of points:

*Cutler doesn't exactly have Swann And Stallworth as his receivers.

*Strangely enough, Vince Young may well turn out to be the best of the big three '06 QB class. What's Matt Leinart done? Football wise, that is.:D

GIDP
11-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Vince Young is an awful QB. I bet someone says he leads in the win stats like the Palmer thread rofl

The Operator
11-18-2009, 04:05 AM
Vince Young is an awful QB. I bet someone says he leads in the win stats like the Palmer thread rofl

If you are really comparing Carson Palmer to Vince Young, I think your football talking rights should be revoked for life. Without parole.

Everyone gets it. You don't think Carson's having a great year. If you really think he's THAT bad then you must not have been watching football for very long, ESPECIALLY Bengals football and you really must have no appreciation for just what Carson Palmer is.

traderumor
11-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Vince Young is an awful QB. I bet someone says he leads in the win stats like the Palmer thread roflWhat in the world are you talking about?

GIDP
11-18-2009, 09:51 AM
What in the world are you talking about?

People were trying to say Palmer was having a great year because he lead in the stat "wins".

GIDP
11-18-2009, 09:52 AM
If you are really comparing Carson Palmer to Vince Young, I think your football talking rights should be revoked for life. Without parole.

Everyone gets it. You don't think Carson's having a great year. If you really think he's THAT bad then you must not have been watching football for very long, ESPECIALLY Bengals football and you really must have no appreciation for just what Carson Palmer is.
Pretty sure nothing I posted had anything to do with comparing them.

Boss-Hog
11-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Pretty sure nothing I posted had anything to do with comparing them.
I'm pretty sure your comment that started this side conversation had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

GIDP
11-18-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm pretty sure your comment that started this side conversation had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Orly? I started it? I guess starting it doesnt mean being the 1st person to post about it. Starting it must now mean replying to something someone else started.

A couple of points:

*Cutler doesn't exactly have Swann And Stallworth as his receivers.

*Strangely enough, Vince Young may well turn out to be the best of the big three '06 QB class. What's Matt Leinart done? Football wise, that is.:D

:rolleyes:

The Operator
11-18-2009, 02:33 PM
The point is, you took a discussion about a completely different topic and just had to get in a jab on your (for whatever reason) favorite target, Carson Palmer.

I honestly can't for the life of me figure out why any Bengals fan has a problem with Carson Palmer this year. Is he playing at his personal best? Probably not. But as has been discussed, he's in the year after an injury, his line is just now coming together, the team is running the ball more, and they are playing more conservative offense since they have a defense they can trust.

Then again, maybe I'm just happy to have Carson Palmer even when he's not at his best, seeing as I can remember the days of Jon Kitna, Gus Frerotte, Akili Smith, Scott Mitchell, Jeff Blake, David Klingler, Neil O'Donnel, and the list goes on.

GIDP
11-18-2009, 04:03 PM
The point is, you took a discussion about a completely different topic and just had to get in a jab on your (for whatever reason) favorite target, Carson Palmer.

I honestly can't for the life of me figure out why any Bengals fan has a problem with Carson Palmer this year. Is he playing at his personal best? Probably not. But as has been discussed, he's in the year after an injury, his line is just now coming together, the team is running the ball more, and they are playing more conservative offense since they have a defense they can trust.

Then again, maybe I'm just happy to have Carson Palmer even when he's not at his best, seeing as I can remember the days of Jon Kitna, Gus Frerotte, Akili Smith, Scott Mitchell, Jeff Blake, David Klingler, Neil O'Donnel, and the list goes on.

Why are you having so much trouble with what I said.

Vince Young is a terrible QB, that has nothing to do with Carson Palmer. I dont know how you think it does. The only thing I said about Palmer in this thread is how people use wins to judge a QB performance. People tried to play the Palmer is having a great year card because the Bengals are winning. I didnt jab Palmer, I didnt even bash him. If you want to feel like someone is getting bashed bring up how I bashed Vince Young.

Some times I wonder if people actually read post sometimes.

The Operator
11-18-2009, 04:20 PM
I've read plenty of your posts on this subject, and I know exactly what you were doing, no matter how you're trying to make it sound.

It's looking more and more like you're a Grade A Troll.

Chip R
11-18-2009, 04:33 PM
All right. Either get back on topic or we'll shut this down.

Tailm-k
11-18-2009, 05:43 PM
WHOO HOO THE BEARS GOT JAY CUTLER
Finally they r spending money n triing to put together a decent team

GIDP
11-18-2009, 07:08 PM
I've read plenty of your posts on this subject, and I know exactly what you were doing, no matter how you're trying to make it sound.

It's looking more and more like you're a Grade A Troll.

Or you just continuously get it wrong, which is much more likely.

Yea you should shut this thread down because apparently not even the mods can understand whats going on around here.

Patrick Bateman
11-18-2009, 07:47 PM
WHOO HOO THE BEARS GOT JAY CUTLER
Finally they r spending money n triing to put together a decent team

.............And cerebral falure.